Sentinel Zero - Early Access just $1.00 (90% off)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
JumpmenGaming

Sentinel Zero - Early Access just $1.00 (90% off)

Post by JumpmenGaming »

Hello,

I am the developer of a SHMUP called Sentinel Zero. We are trying something different that the usual kickstarter/patreon marketing. We are releasing the game in VERY early access with just one level but at a severely reduced cost. Updates should be frequent and at launch you get the entire $10 game for the $1 you already paid.

Please take a minute to check out the game.

Thanks

https://jumpmengaming.itch.io/sentinel-zero
BulletMagnet

Re: Sentinel Zero - Early Access just $1.00 (90% off)

Post by BulletMagnet »

Is there at least a gameplay video to watch someplace? Even for a reduced price I'd prefer to have some small idea of how the thing plays so far...
JumpmenGaming

Post by JumpmenGaming »

BulletMagnet wrote:Is there at least a gameplay video to watch someplace? Even for a reduced price I'd prefer to have some small idea of how the thing plays so far...
Sorry about that. Video added to the store page. Thanks!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Eh, what the hey, have a dollar (and some thoughts):

- IMO the best thing about the demo is the "personality" of the boss - the way his face appears and changes as he takes damage, the minions attacking out of the background, the vine traps, he's more memorable than most. I don't know if you plan on keeping a "cute em up" direction as you develop, but whatever route you take definitely keep the personality intact, it came through rather nicely here even though the art itself is obviously not the focus.

- My biggest single complaint is that some attacks were hard to see coming and react to: the hedgehog things appearing from behind with no warning are at the top of the list, though the pumpkins in the background could also be tricky to spot when things got busy. Definitely add at least a quick "warning" flash or something; I feel like the life meter, though not super generous, is there in part to compensate for the occasional cheap hit. On a related note, I occasionally felt "trapped" by combinations of enemies and attacks that I couldn't easily blast through or dodge, so some balancing of hitboxes and such is probably in order.

- I know it's still early, but I'd suggest you start planning out some manner of scoring and/or weapon system beyond what you currently have, if you haven't already; waiting for your special shot to reload is okay as far as it goes, but not particularly exciting, and sometimes frustrating since your main shot is fairly weak. Start kicking around some ideas on how to expand that concept and encouraging players to use it (and whatever else you might attach) for both scoring and survival, so they're free to change up their playstyle as they improve.

Hopefully that gives you at least a little bit to work with; looking forward to seeing where this goes.