Rhopalocera: A game inspired by Espgaluda

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
the1truepickaxe

Rhopalocera: A game inspired by Espgaluda

Post by the1truepickaxe »

I would like to discuss the game I am currently working on: Rhopalocera!

Rhopalocera is a manic shooter inspired by Cave's popular Espgaluda and Espgaluda II as well as the popular ESP Ra. De.! The game will have a unique weapons system that, as far as I know, has never been done in a shmup before. It will run in flash, so it will be free to play. I was hoping I could share my ideas and get feedback from the shmupping community so that I could make the game the best it can be.

GAME MECHANICS:
There are two meters in the top right, corresponding to your two attacks. You have a Solar attack (purple) and a Lunar attack (pink). The power of the attack is determined by the level of these meters.

Enemies will drop purple and pink gems which, when collected, will fill your Solar and Lunar meters respectively. Whenever one meter is higher than the other, however, the higher meter will drain until it is equal to the other meter. This requires you to balance which attacks you power up and when.

You also have a bombing meter. Whenever you bomb, the meter will be reset to zero, and you must wait for it to fill back up before you can bomb again.

Each character has a special quirk that slightly bends the game mechanics, but I won't spoil what that means. For now, I need your help.

(1) Do you have any ideas for scoring mechanics? I know I want to revolve them around the Sol and Luna meters, but I'm not sure how to do that. Post your ideas below!
(2) Is anyone here good at composing music? I'd love to have an original soundtrack for this game. For now, I am using Espgaluda II's soundtrack for my game.

I'd love to hear your feedback on my game! This is the first shmup I have ever made, and I want it to be great. Any feedback is appreciated! Thanks =)
Last edited by the1truepickaxe on Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
waiwainl

Re: Rhopalocera: A game inspired by Espgaluda

Post by waiwainl »

Do you have a link to your game?
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
the1truepickaxe

Post by the1truepickaxe »

waiwainl wrote:Do you have a link to your game?
Like I said, it is unfinished
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

You could have "Solar" and "Lunar" scores that increase and decrease in a manner similar to the attack powers, just without a cap, and have the total score be the lower of the two, or the higher, or the sum.

Why Flash, if I may ask? I find Flash's performance to be pretty hit-or-miss (some things run fine but I've seen a lot of Flash content run very choppily on different systems even if they're very simple), and its future as a platform is troubled to say the least. Browsers have also been actively pushing people away from Flash by doing things like disabling Flash by default, and Adobe's announced that they're ending support for Flash in 2020.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Shepardus wrote:You could have "Solar" and "Lunar" scores that increase and decrease in a manner similar to the attack powers, just without a cap, and have the total score be the lower of the two, or the higher, or the sum.
Was thinking along similar lines.

Presumably the two meters are used for a slowing mechanic? Maybe have the meters attached to a multiplyer? The more stock in your meter the more the enemies would be worth which would be rewarding you for not using meter.

You could have the inverse be true - enemies worth more the lower your meters are which could be a sort of risk reward mechanic. Trying to kill a boss with as little help as possible would make it worth more points.

Just spit ballin' ideas here. If your game is based on the Esp games it is possible you have some complicated scoring in mind. Good luck!
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Eisenhans

Post by Eisenhans »

Shepardus wrote:Why Flash, if I may ask? I find Flash's performance to be pretty hit-or-miss (some things run fine but I've seen a lot of Flash content run very choppily on different systems even if they're very simple), and its future as a platform is troubled to say the least. Browsers have also been actively pushing people away from Flash by doing things like disabling Flash by default, and Adobe's announced that they're ending support for Flash in 2020.
I second this.
Flash is already a pariah. If you are early in your development I would urge to pull the plug now and move to another platform. If it has to be web, there are HTML5 frameworks that have similar philosophical traits to actionscript.