[PAWARUMI] Release date : 30st of January !!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Elunil

[PAWARUMI] Release date : 30st of January !!

Post by Elunil »

Hello everyone !

I’m really stoked to take some time to write here again! It has been ages since the last update and a lot of things happened during the past few months. I will try to synthesize everything here, from our promotional trip to Korea and Japan, the state of the development, the state of the team, as well as a few more things that you might find interesting.

Ready? Go!

First things first, let’s talk about our promotional trip to Busan Indie Connect and Tokyo Game Show.

B.I.C. was a very atypical event. It was outdoor (pretty unusual for a videogame event) and was almost hit by a typhoon which hopefully spared us. Our contact with Korean players was really enjoyable. Korea being the country of eSport, we were expecting some really good players. What we didn’t expect was that most players were actually very used to play shoot’em ups and that they were finishing the easy mode of Pawarumi almost all the time! Because of that, we had to change the demonstration build to offer them a challenge worthy of their skill.
Then the game worked his magic and players had a lot of trouble letting the controller go. Which was a pretty good sign for TGS.

Tokyo Game Show was pretty incredible on many aspects (other than the crazy amount of people). Being occidental shoot’em up developers, showcasing our game in the homeland of the genre, we were feeling pretty nervous to match Japanese players quality expectations.
Again, players loved the game. Between trembling hands and sweaty forehead, they felt like they were playing a game made in Japan which was respecting the codes of 90s STGs, the legacy of Treasure’s gems (Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun) and the Dreamcast era of gaming. Tokyo players and Japanese press were charmed as well as a few officials from Degica, Cave and Sega!

After that we came back to France dead tired but happy and confident in our game.

Without surprise, and quite frankly, we are down on our knees. This year of game development, communication and marketing work, all the events we had to attend and the studio financial and human management burned us slowly but surely. It burned us so good that Charles left us a couple months ago to new horizons. This amputated the team of one third of its workforce. Daniel and I are working our brains out to hold the fort, and even if we manage to keep our deadlines at the price of extreme fatigue, our plans for the next steps of the game development slightly changed. But this situation lead us to work with some friends from GlitchR studio who spend a few weeks tweaking performance and game usability. Which was a really good thing considering the greatness it brought to the game!

Our objective was, and still is, to bring Pawarumi players a shoot’em up experience that they will not forget easily, and we don’t want to sacrifice the game quality to release the game accordingly to an agenda we made months ago in drastically different conditions. Game development isn’t a long calm river indeed!

Good thing is, Pawarumi is now 95% done! The 5 remaining ones being just minor tweaks to bring you the best shmup possible. In order to get more feedback and considering the smaller team, we are going to launch Pawarumi in Early Access this October. The game will have all the levels and difficulty modes, a training mode, online leaderboards and global game optimisations.

In the coming weeks, Mac and Linux version will follow as well as the complete story mode with all the cutscenes, a polished version of the last level, and a major performance update so the game will be as perfect as possible for the official release in January. Official release that will be joined by its sister on Xbox One! Of course, the early access is the way to get even more feedback from you guys and from the other players around the world. So don’t hesitate to make comments about every single things in the game. We will add pertinent request to our planning so we can make Pawarumi even better!

Considering the initial planning and the delayed release we completely understand that it can be really frustrating for some of you and we will answer all your questions. This said, it’s all for the game’s quality. We want to make this game memorable instead of good enough. But the real good news is that all bakers will now soon be able to play Pawarumi and compete on the leaderboards!

This is it for the past, the present and the future of Pawarumi! (yes we are Dr Who fans)
Oh and by the way, I don’t have the right to talk about anything else than the PC and Xbox One versions, but I hope I can say more real soon!

Cheers everyone!

Alex
Last edited by Elunil on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
--dodge the bullet save the world--
Dev of Pawarumi
MsK`

Re: [PAWARUMI] Updates on the release date and other things

Post by MsK` »

Hey everyone! We just made a new update to our early access on Steam, the last level is now playable!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/610410/PAWARUMI/

Dodge the bullet, save the world.
Working on Pawarumi, check it out!
My twitter | Manufacture 43's Twitter
MsK`

Re: [PAWARUMI] Updates on the release date and other things

Post by MsK` »

Hey guys! We juste made a new update to the early access. The game is now playable from MacOS! We also added a cool animation for the end of the level, tweaked level design, improved the super attack, fixed bugs, etc.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/610410/ ... 6128067805

GL & HF :)

PS: Please consider writing us a steam review, that would tremendously help us!
MsK`

Re: [PAWARUMI] Release date : 30st of January !!

Post by MsK` »

The release trailer for Pawarumi! :D

Two years in the making, we sincerely hope you'll have a lot of fun!

MsK`

Post by MsK` »

And the final version of Pawarumi is now live on Steam! Pfew, made it right on time!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/610410/PAWARUMI/

EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I've been watching the development of this ever since the kickstarter. Congratulations on finishing the game and getting to release. I'm looking forward to playing it and seeing how you guys did. :wink: