shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:12 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstarter]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 pm 

Update: Kickstarter and Demo here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952540552/wings-of-bluestar?ref=project_build

Hello everyone!
This is Shinu Real Arts and I'm an indie game developer.
Here I present to you my actual and biggest project; Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D horizontal shmup in the style of 90s games on the 32bit consoles and on the Arcade.
The game is in development for a year now and is about 50% done. A public demo is almost done and will be shared here soon.

Game features:
- 6 levels long, each level around 5 minutes and a boss fight.
- Two player choice, each ship has its own mechanism.
- Local multiplayer, 2 player.
- Gamepad and keyboard support.
- Story mode, in the style of a visual novel between levels.
- Arcade mode.
- Trophies.
- Gallery.
- Auto-save.
- Scoring/combo system.

Demo features:
- One ship.
- Single player.
- Complete first level + boss.
- 4 arts to unlock in the gallery.
- 3 Trophies to unlock.
- 4 levels of difficulties.
- Gamepad and keyboard support.
- auto-save.
---------------------
The game is planed for Steam as primary platform and needs another year in order to be completed.
Here are some screenshots:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

I hope that you guys liked the game.
There's still a lot of work, especially for a one man team, and I'll try to make this game a reality.
I'll keep you guys regularly updated and one the demo is ready, I'll share it here. I hope that I'll get a lot of feedback.
Thanks for keeping with this long topic!
Shinu Real Arts

Last edited by Shinu Real Arts on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm 

Some updates:

A new chain combo system added to the first ship. You score more points killing enemies with the shield:

Some of the 3 trophies available in the demo:

And some screenshot from the first level at very hard:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:16 pm 

Just spotted your latest video of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLWOcvCJSY

I must say, it looks really promising. Is the music I hear also in the game?
The cutscenes are really good.

Can't wait to try it out!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 pm 

If anyone's into crowdfunding, their Kickstarter has launched today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952540552/wings-of-bluestar

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:18 pm 

Don't know if the creator checks this thread or not, but a few thoughts after trying the demo:

- I generally like the presentation, but overall visibility could use another pass, as I found myself losing track of both enemies/shots and powerup items in the busy background on several occasions...also, there's at least one spot where the foreground obscures absolutely everything, a big no-no unless it occurs when there aren't any threats onscreen.

- On a related note, the warning signs for enemies approaching from odd directions seem uneven; sometimes they'd appear, other times I'd be blindsided.

- Rotating the firing direction of the pods, at least using the triggers on a 360 controller as I did, feels a little finicky; I'd suggest control options which allow players to shift them between a couple of different "pre-set" formations, a la Battle Garegga, or at least a "reset" button to instantly reposition them firing straight ahead.

- Is any additional information floating around as to exactly how the scoring system works? I'm most interested offhand in the "risk" items and "risk points"...

Some promising elements, but I'd honestly need to know more about how the thing works and what additional content is available before judging much further.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 am 

If you have a twitter account, you can contact the devs here :
https://twitter.com/ShinuGames
They are quite active there at the moment so they answered pretty quickly when I sent them some feedback. I agree with all of your points so they are aware of some the issues you have described. I don't know when you picked up the demo but there is an updated version of it now (Demo 1.0.1). Maybe it fixes some of the issues ? I haven't tried it myself yet.

Scoring-wise, I don't think it is related to the stars and the risk points. Those are tracked seperately from the score in the HUD, and seemed to be used as an in-game currency to unlock stuff in the future full version. However, sacrificing your shield to launch a huge beam forward can generate lots of red jewels.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:09 pm 

Sorry guys, I haven't been active here due to the lack of interaction before.
All my progress updates are on Twitter and my FB page now. I gotta update my post here as well, and I have a lot; the game is already 4 stages long and we have a second ship.

waiwainl wrote:
Just spotted your latest video of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLWOcvCJSY

I must say, it looks really promising. Is the music I hear also in the game?
The cutscenes are really good.

Can't wait to try it out!

@waiwainl, Thanks! glad you like them.

-----------------------------------------------------

BulletMagnet wrote:
Don't know if the creator checks this thread or not, but a few thoughts after trying the demo:

- I generally like the presentation, but overall visibility could use another pass, as I found myself losing track of both enemies/shots and powerup items in the busy background on several occasions...also, there's at least one spot where the foreground obscures absolutely everything, a big no-no unless it occurs when there aren't any threats onscreen.

- On a related note, the warning signs for enemies approaching from odd directions seem uneven; sometimes they'd appear, other times I'd be blindsided.

- Rotating the firing direction of the pods, at least using the triggers on a 360 controller as I did, feels a little finicky; I'd suggest control options which allow players to shift them between a couple of different "pre-set" formations, a la Battle Garegga, or at least a "reset" button to instantly reposition them firing straight ahead.

- Is any additional information floating around as to exactly how the scoring system works? I'm most interested offhand in the "risk" items and "risk points"...

Some promising elements, but I'd honestly need to know more about how the thing works and what additional content is available before judging much further.

@BulletMagnet, thanks for the feedback. We are already working on those issues and some of them are eliminated in the demo 1.0.1
As for the controls, there are 3 presets in the options for gamepads: LT/RT, right stick (like a twinshooter), or X/Y for arcade stick users. Button mapping is planned for the full game.

As for the scoring, you use the shield for the first ship, either by hitting enemies with it( risky), or releasing it (then you'll lose protection). The higher the combo, the more score you get.
As for the 2nd ship, it uses a charging shot to score more points, but it's limited by a cool down.
However, this doesn't work with bosses.

Risk Points are just the in-game currency.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

M.Knight wrote:
If you have a twitter account, you can contact the devs here :
https://twitter.com/ShinuGames
They are quite active there at the moment so they answered pretty quickly when I sent them some feedback. I agree with all of your points so they are aware of some the issues you have described. I don't know when you picked up the demo but there is an updated version of it now (Demo 1.0.1). Maybe it fixes some of the issues ? I haven't tried it myself yet.

Scoring-wise, I don't think it is related to the stars and the risk points. Those are tracked seperately from the score in the HUD, and seemed to be used as an in-game currency to unlock stuff in the future full version. However, sacrificing your shield to launch a huge beam forward can generate lots of red jewels.

@M.Knight, thanks for the feedback and forwarding the message to my twitter, really appreciate it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:09 pm 

schleichfahrt wrote:
If anyone's into crowdfunding, their Kickstarter has launched today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952540552/wings-of-bluestar

@schleichfahrt, thanks for the link!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 pm 

Since I've got some interaction here, it's about time to update this topic. And I have a lot of new stuff I worked on.

Fist update is that the Kickstarter is live and 17 days left in it. sadly the game is only 10% funded.

You can grab your demo from there: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952540552/wings-of-bluestar?ref=project_build

The game has 4 stages now and a 2nd ship: Altair, player: Zarak.

As for the 4th stage, here are some screenies:

And we have a pretty boss for this stage:

Ah and I've remade all clouds in the game, now they look more majestic, if I may say that myself :D

Right I'm working on some short intros for each stage, here's a screenshot for the one made for the 1st stage. A video to come when I'm done with the code.

And finally, here's a video of the 4th boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VfzZ9rotcs

Alright then, time to go back to work.
Don't forget to help us with some feedback.
Later!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 am 

There is also an interview with the developer: https://shmups.eu/game-review/developer ... -bluestar/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am 

waiwainl wrote:
There is also an interview with the developer: https://shmups.eu/game-review/developer ... -bluestar/

Thanks for the shout-out!

And Hey guys!!
Long time not seen!

Well I'm back and I have some updates.

First, the 5th stage assets are almost complete, here are some:

And I changed the boss, we went for a vertical instead of the classic horizontal:

Here's the ingame final work:

And some gameplay concepts:

Alright then, till next time guys!

Offline Profile