shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:00 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo is available]
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:09 pm 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Image

Update: Demo here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZdhrb-H4lBjo6kxt-h8xTh67S7MlfuO/view?usp=sharing

Hello everyone!
This is Shinu Real Arts and I'm an indie game developer.
Here I present to you my actual and biggest project; Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D horizontal shmup in the style of 90s games on the 32bit consoles and on the Arcade.
The game is in development for a year now and is about 50% done. A public demo is almost done and will be shared here soon.



Image



Game features:
- 6 levels long, each level around 5 minutes and a boss fight.
- Two player choice, each ship has its own mechanism.
- Local multiplayer, 2 player.
- Gamepad and keyboard support.
- Story mode, in the style of a visual novel between levels.
- Arcade mode.
- Trophies.
- Gallery.
- Auto-save.
- Scoring/combo system.



Image


Demo features:
- One ship.
- Single player.
- Complete first level + boss.
- 4 arts to unlock in the gallery.
- 3 Trophies to unlock.
- 4 levels of difficulties.
- Gamepad and keyboard support.
- auto-save.
---------------------
The game is planed for Steam as primary platform and needs another year in order to be completed.
Here are some screenshots:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage





Image




I hope that you guys liked the game.
There's still a lot of work, especially for a one man team, and I'll try to make this game a reality.
I'll keep you guys regularly updated and one the demo is ready, I'll share it here. I hope that I'll get a lot of feedback.
Thanks for keeping with this long topic!
Shinu Real Arts


Last edited by Shinu Real Arts on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:46 pm 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Some updates:


A new chain combo system added to the first ship. You score more points killing enemies with the shield:



Image


Some of the 3 trophies available in the demo:


Image
Image

And some screenshot from the first level at very hard:

Image
Image
Image
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2014
Posts: 411
Location: Netherlands
Just spotted your latest video of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLWOcvCJSY

I must say, it looks really promising. Is the music I hear also in the game?
The cutscenes are really good.

Can't wait to try it out!
_________________
Visit: https://www.shmups.eu
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:26 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Jun 2016
Posts: 67
If anyone's into crowdfunding, their Kickstarter has launched today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952540552/wings-of-bluestar
_________________
Quote:
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:18 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 12063
Location: Wherever.
Don't know if the creator checks this thread or not, but a few thoughts after trying the demo:

- I generally like the presentation, but overall visibility could use another pass, as I found myself losing track of both enemies/shots and powerup items in the busy background on several occasions...also, there's at least one spot where the foreground obscures absolutely everything, a big no-no unless it occurs when there aren't any threats onscreen.

- On a related note, the warning signs for enemies approaching from odd directions seem uneven; sometimes they'd appear, other times I'd be blindsided.

- Rotating the firing direction of the pods, at least using the triggers on a 360 controller as I did, feels a little finicky; I'd suggest control options which allow players to shift them between a couple of different "pre-set" formations, a la Battle Garegga, or at least a "reset" button to instantly reposition them firing straight ahead.

- Is any additional information floating around as to exactly how the scoring system works? I'm most interested offhand in the "risk" items and "risk points"...

Some promising elements, but I'd honestly need to know more about how the thing works and what additional content is available before judging much further.
_________________
"Everybody down here is rooting for him. They figure he'll screw the Chinese the way he screwed us. He'll probably screw some Arabs, too."
Glossary / Discussion / The Bizaar / Vasara HS


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:49 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Posts: 889
Location: France
If you have a twitter account, you can contact the devs here :
https://twitter.com/ShinuGames
They are quite active there at the moment so they answered pretty quickly when I sent them some feedback. I agree with all of your points so they are aware of some the issues you have described. I don't know when you picked up the demo but there is an updated version of it now (Demo 1.0.1). Maybe it fixes some of the issues ? I haven't tried it myself yet.

Scoring-wise, I don't think it is related to the stars and the risk points. Those are tracked seperately from the score in the HUD, and seemed to be used as an in-game currency to unlock stuff in the future full version. However, sacrificing your shield to launch a huge beam forward can generate lots of red jewels.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:09 pm 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Sorry guys, I haven't been active here due to the lack of interaction before.
All my progress updates are on Twitter and my FB page now. I gotta update my post here as well, and I have a lot; the game is already 4 stages long and we have a second ship.

waiwainl wrote:
Just spotted your latest video of the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMLWOcvCJSY

I must say, it looks really promising. Is the music I hear also in the game?
The cutscenes are really good.

Can't wait to try it out!


@waiwainl, Thanks! glad you like them.

-----------------------------------------------------



BulletMagnet wrote:
Don't know if the creator checks this thread or not, but a few thoughts after trying the demo:

- I generally like the presentation, but overall visibility could use another pass, as I found myself losing track of both enemies/shots and powerup items in the busy background on several occasions...also, there's at least one spot where the foreground obscures absolutely everything, a big no-no unless it occurs when there aren't any threats onscreen.

- On a related note, the warning signs for enemies approaching from odd directions seem uneven; sometimes they'd appear, other times I'd be blindsided.

- Rotating the firing direction of the pods, at least using the triggers on a 360 controller as I did, feels a little finicky; I'd suggest control options which allow players to shift them between a couple of different "pre-set" formations, a la Battle Garegga, or at least a "reset" button to instantly reposition them firing straight ahead.

- Is any additional information floating around as to exactly how the scoring system works? I'm most interested offhand in the "risk" items and "risk points"...

Some promising elements, but I'd honestly need to know more about how the thing works and what additional content is available before judging much further.



@BulletMagnet, thanks for the feedback. We are already working on those issues and some of them are eliminated in the demo 1.0.1
As for the controls, there are 3 presets in the options for gamepads: LT/RT, right stick (like a twinshooter), or X/Y for arcade stick users. Button mapping is planned for the full game.

As for the scoring, you use the shield for the first ship, either by hitting enemies with it( risky), or releasing it (then you'll lose protection). The higher the combo, the more score you get.
As for the 2nd ship, it uses a charging shot to score more points, but it's limited by a cool down.
However, this doesn't work with bosses.

Risk Points are just the in-game currency.

----------------------------------------------------------------------


M.Knight wrote:
If you have a twitter account, you can contact the devs here :
https://twitter.com/ShinuGames
They are quite active there at the moment so they answered pretty quickly when I sent them some feedback. I agree with all of your points so they are aware of some the issues you have described. I don't know when you picked up the demo but there is an updated version of it now (Demo 1.0.1). Maybe it fixes some of the issues ? I haven't tried it myself yet.

Scoring-wise, I don't think it is related to the stars and the risk points. Those are tracked seperately from the score in the HUD, and seemed to be used as an in-game currency to unlock stuff in the future full version. However, sacrificing your shield to launch a huge beam forward can generate lots of red jewels.


@M.Knight, thanks for the feedback and forwarding the message to my twitter, really appreciate it.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar (Work In Progress) 2D hoeizontal Shmup
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:09 pm 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
schleichfahrt wrote:
If anyone's into crowdfunding, their Kickstarter has launched today:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952540552/wings-of-bluestar


@schleichfahrt, thanks for the link!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:11 pm 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Since I've got some interaction here, it's about time to update this topic. And I have a lot of new stuff I worked on.

Fist update is that the Kickstarter is live and 17 days left in it. sadly the game is only 10% funded.

You can grab your demo from there: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/952540552/wings-of-bluestar?ref=project_build

Image

The game has 4 stages now and a 2nd ship: Altair, player: Zarak.
Image
Image


As for the 4th stage, here are some screenies:

Image
Image
Image
Image

And we have a pretty boss for this stage:

Image
Image
Image

Ah and I've remade all clouds in the game, now they look more majestic, if I may say that myself :D

Image
Image
Image
Image

Right I'm working on some short intros for each stage, here's a screenshot for the one made for the 1st stage. A video to come when I'm done with the code.

Image


Image

And finally, here's a video of the 4th boss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VfzZ9rotcs

Alright then, time to go back to work.
Don't forget to help us with some feedback.
Later!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 am 


User avatar

Joined: 24 Jun 2014
Posts: 411
Location: Netherlands
There is also an interview with the developer: https://shmups.eu/game-review/developer ... -bluestar/
_________________
Visit: https://www.shmups.eu
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:51 am 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
waiwainl wrote:
There is also an interview with the developer: https://shmups.eu/game-review/developer ... -bluestar/


Thanks for the shout-out!

And Hey guys!!
Long time not seen!

Well I'm back and I have some updates.

First, the 5th stage assets are almost complete, here are some:

Image
Image
Image
Image

And I changed the boss, we went for a vertical instead of the classic horizontal:

Image

Here's the ingame final work:

Image

And some gameplay concepts:

Image

Image

Image



Alright then, till next time guys!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:10 am 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Hi there guys! long time not seen here.

I'm still actively working on my game, it's just too much work to keep updating all those online platforms I'm in.

We have a lot of progress so far. Major ones are the new menus, the 5th stage completed and the 6th stage's visuals almost done.

Here are some screenies:

The new menus

Image

And some screenies from the 6th stage:

Image
Image
Image
Image


Well, that's it for this update. I'll post a video of the new menu later.

And I'll try to release a new updated demo as well.


Last edited by Shinu Real Arts on Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 12 Dec 2013
Posts: 889
Location: France
Hi Shinu!
Keep us updated when/if the new demo's out!

For the info, the images you've linked don't seem to be working. Even if I try to directly open them in a new tab, I simply get a GameMaker forum error page.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:02 am 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
M.Knight wrote:
Hi Shinu!
Keep us updated when/if the new demo's out!

For the info, the images you've linked don't seem to be working. Even if I try to directly open them in a new tab, I simply get a GameMaker forum error page.



Sure I'm make sure to let you guys know.

And sorry for the broken links, they worked for me though. I'll fix then then.


And quick update on the 6th boss. The assets are almost done and are ready to be coded.

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo+Kickstart
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:43 pm 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Hi there everyone!

Long time not seen, but I'm back with a new updated demo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hZdhrb ... sp=sharing

Hope you enjoy this little gameplay.

Looking forward for the feedback!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo is availa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 4546
Location: Finland
Gave the demo a whirl. Some thoughts:

Promising stuff. I'm a fan of R-Type -style of shmups, and this looks like it could tickle the same fancy. I like the turret system, it could lead some to really fun events if the stages and bosses are designed well with them in mind. Enemies from all over the screen, environmental hazards that require careful turret aiming, circling around a boss to chase down a moving weak spot, things like that.

I like the colorful graphics, but I wonder if they're too colorful and distract from the action? Especially at the end of the demo level, I had no idea if some debris parts were background or things that would hurt me, from visuals alone. Finding out with shooting them works fine, of course. I fear enemy bullets might get lost in the background easily.

Related: early in the demo stage, when you've got those scaffolding things in the foreground and enemies coming from all corners of the screen, the foreground elements mask the enemies and their bullets.

You've provided several options for controls, which is good, but having fully customizable buttons is always the best. When using the first gamepad config, I'd like to have the "reset turret" button elsewhere and everything else can be as-is. Using an analog stick to control the turret is fun too and that's a good inclusion, but then I'd like to have the fire button at a shoulder button and not the trigger.

Not sure why holding down the fire button has to slow the craft down? That's something more commonly seen in danmaku games, it felt a bit out of place here.

Are the Risk points solely used as currency for unlocking bonus things, or do they have some in-game mechanic as well? If the former, the name is a bit misleading, I kept thinking it adds to rank or something.

Found a small bug: If a turret is off-screen (because your ship is at the top/bottom edge of the screen) than that turret stops firing completely.

Small nitpick: The menu controls (as well as when viewing the bonus images) felt like they were reversed to me. Kept going up when I wanted to go down, and left when I wanted to go right.

Overall, I think you've got a good thing in the making here and I'm looking forward to seeing how the project develops.
_________________
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D hoeizontal Shmup [Demo is availa
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:25 pm 



Joined: 01 Oct 2017
Posts: 10
Ghegs wrote:
Gave the demo a whirl. Some thoughts:

Promising stuff. I'm a fan of R-Type -style of shmups, and this looks like it could tickle the same fancy. I like the turret system, it could lead some to really fun events if the stages and bosses are designed well with them in mind. Enemies from all over the screen, environmental hazards that require careful turret aiming, circling around a boss to chase down a moving weak spot, things like that.

I like the colorful graphics, but I wonder if they're too colorful and distract from the action? Especially at the end of the demo level, I had no idea if some debris parts were background or things that would hurt me, from visuals alone. Finding out with shooting them works fine, of course. I fear enemy bullets might get lost in the background easily.

Related: early in the demo stage, when you've got those scaffolding things in the foreground and enemies coming from all corners of the screen, the foreground elements mask the enemies and their bullets.

You've provided several options for controls, which is good, but having fully customizable buttons is always the best. When using the first gamepad config, I'd like to have the "reset turret" button elsewhere and everything else can be as-is. Using an analog stick to control the turret is fun too and that's a good inclusion, but then I'd like to have the fire button at a shoulder button and not the trigger.

Not sure why holding down the fire button has to slow the craft down? That's something more commonly seen in danmaku games, it felt a bit out of place here.

Are the Risk points solely used as currency for unlocking bonus things, or do they have some in-game mechanic as well? If the former, the name is a bit misleading, I kept thinking it adds to rank or something.

Found a small bug: If a turret is off-screen (because your ship is at the top/bottom edge of the screen) than that turret stops firing completely.

Small nitpick: The menu controls (as well as when viewing the bonus images) felt like they were reversed to me. Kept going up when I wanted to go down, and left when I wanted to go right.

Overall, I think you've got a good thing in the making here and I'm looking forward to seeing how the project develops.



Thanks a lot for trying the demo and providing me with this long and detailed feedback!!

I'll make sure to work on the things you've mentioned. Here are some answers:

- Customazable buttons are planned for the full game.
- Those foreground elements are still under consideration and I'm waiting for enough feedback on them so I either keep or remove them.
- As for stage elements and collusion, you already figured out, the game has a main rule; if your fire touches something, your ship will as well.
- Yep I made holding the fire button slows the ship down because in later stages the game has some bullet hell phases that needs precise control.
- The Risk Point are just the game currency. But to get them, you either collect the ones you see or stay as close to bullets as possible to get some extras, but it's randomized.
- As for the rest, it's an easy fix that'll be addressed asap.

Thanks again for playing the demo!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group