shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:47 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: ZeroVector [iOS+Android] new shmup in development!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:30 am 

Hey everyone! Like so many I've always wanted to create a shmup. It's been on my bucket list for ages and I am finally working on my first one now. :D

I have a beta test version of the game for both iOS and Android and would love to get some people to try it out and give me feedback.

The game is done in a retro vector display style and is very fast paced and challenging. It is currently just an endless mode where you survive as long as you can clearing enemy waves and bosses to get a top score. You have a special ability called a "reversal" which reverses all enemy bullets into missiles. It charges up with time so you can save it up and use when you need to get out of an especially challenging situation. There are also items that drop to power up your ship or trigger super weapons.

Image Image Image

Update!!

Version 0.1 is now on iOS App Store, Google Play Store, and Amazon App Store! It's free (with ads)

ImageImage

It's also still WIP and I plan on doing more updates this year so LMK if you want to join beta!

Last edited by blackpawn on Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: ZeroVector [iOS+Android] new shmup in development!
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:40 pm 

Hello, I am interested in trying on iOS. I am new to this board. How can I message you?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:33 pm 

Awesome thanks for your interest! I sent you a PM. (you click the "pm" button at bottom of post)

I've got a sweet update almost done for the next build. I'll post more info and screenshots here once it's ready too! :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:20 pm 

Hey I accepted on Testflight.
I see "is not compatible with your device", but it requires 8.1 or higher..
I'm on iOS v10.3.3, iPhone 5.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 pm 

oh noOoOoo!! sorry quantumproductions it requires OpenGL ES 3 which is iPhone 5 and iPad Air and above. Im sorry I should have mentioned that before.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:43 am 

Tasty! Gave the Android version a quick spin, runs beautifully on my S7. If you want, I can give the iOS version a whirl on my iPhone 6 and iPad mini 2. I dunno if you care about supporting the mini 2 at all, but if you do, a word of warning - the fill rate is terrible.

Yeah, I'm a dev too, and I'm *also* currently making a glowy vectory shootery thing, so I always cast a careful eye on others :) I'm really curious as to what sort of environment you're coding it; cross-platform libs or your own native stuff for each platform?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 pm 

Gave the Android version a spin on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.0 tablet and have to say that it's quite cool. Is there a way to increase the overall framerate so that it runs at an arcade-spec 60fps framerate?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:16 pm 

Thanks for trying it out guys! I've got a new test build almost ready but got super busy at work the past few weeks. Hope to post the new build soon though.

PC Engine Fan X: Ack sorry it's not hitting 60fps for you. I haven't tested on a Galaxy Tab but I picked up a Kindle Fire and it's only getting 30fps and am working on some scaling to make it go faster on lower spec devices. What score were you able to get? Did you get past the first boss at wave 8?

coolpowers: Oooh awesome! Have you posted beta version of your game? I'd love to try it too! PM me your Apple ID and I can add you to the iOS beta if you like :) Fill rate may not be a big deal for my game since it's mostly lines haha. It could struggle with the post process effects though... I'm doing C++ with OpenGL ES3. The graphics work easily cross platform but audio was more difficult and I have separate Java and Objective-C code for audio backends. Also the ads and leaderboard have separate Java and Objective-C versions. How far did you get in the game?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:01 pm 

Yikes, sorry for not following up. I also got busy with the day job so my motivation to sit down at the PC plummeted. Would like to try the iOS build, I'll PM you the ID. I'm more likely to put time into it on iOS, as my S7 is just a dev device. Still, I'm currently 3rd on the leaderboards ;)

And yeah, it's the postprocessing that will kill you on older Retina devices. iPad Mini 2 just doesn't have the GPU for the res it's pushing. I could just about hit 30fps, so for my game I have the options to disable bloom and/or target 30fps. When it's ready I can post a beta, but be warned that it's not what I call a traditional shmup, it's more like a casual arena-style shooter, and just one part of a multi-game compilation.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:43 pm 

Over the holiday I shipped the first version (0.1) of ZeroVector!! It's now available for free in the iOS App Store, Google Play Store, and Amazon App Store.

So you know the drill fellow shmuppers! Download it, give it 5 stars, and let me know what you think and would like to see in future updates. :D I plan still on adding achievements, new boss battles, new enemy types, and some unlockables.

Thanks for all the feedback and encouragement so far! Hope you have some fun with it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:24 am 

Ahoy!

I played for a while and made it to stage 6!

For the most part, it was fun! Very fun!
The reversal mechanic is immensely satisfying to use. Just seeing the screen explode in particle effects as your opposition disintegrates and listening to
miss computer voice yelling "fantastic!" feels very good.

Also, particle effects! Love em'.

I do have a couple of qualms, thought, which should be relatively simple to fix.

Qualm #1: the bullets. When the screen gets crowded, as it often does, the bullets tend to mesh into each other, creating a visual mess that is very likely to lead in
the player's untimely explosion.
Solution to qualm #1: make bullet graphics more defined and less fuzzy so the brain knows what its trying to dodge intuitively.

Qualm #2: Some of the enemies can go very low on the screen. I noticed some popcorn enemies casually drifting under my finger... and sometimes shooting.
The snake boss also slithered much too close for comfort and forced me to the top of the screen, which is a dark and infuriating place to be.
I hold the probably-unpopular opinion that things enemies below you is fine if done right in a shmup. But not in a mobile shmup. In a mobile shmup, the bottom
of the screen is supposed to be for my finger. Any enemies trying to usurp my finger's rightful position are not supposed to be there.
Solution to qualm #2: change the enemy programming slightly so those pesky popcorn scum can't glide across the screen where the player can't see. The "enemy shooting you from behind" can also be easily fixed by only allowing enemies to shoot when they're in the top 2/3 of the screen.
With the snakes, just restrict their movement to the top 2/3 of the screen.

These are just simple things that make the game more player friendly.

I also have some suggestions. Not exactly problems, but things I think would make the game better.

-If you can get your hands on some intense-sounding music, have it play during boss fights. It would keep the game from blurring together and make the boss fights
more climactic.

-Some of the larger enemies feel a bit too resilient. (Lookin' at you, shoe trees and boomerangs)
I'm fine with it, but some players might feel cheated when they pull off a massive reversal or shoot an enemy for a few more seconds and the enemy survives.

-An options menu with sound fx options, music options, and most importantly, control options.
Most mobile shmups have two main control options, direct (ship always hovers on your finger) and relative (what you have now). I prefer relative but it's always good to have options. Usually, relative control also sports a sensitivity slider, so you can tailor how fast your ship moves relative to your hand. I generally play with higher sensitivity, so ZeroVector's control felt a bit off for me the first time playing it.

Anyway, do what you want with this feedback. I liked the game!
I will play it again, and I look forward to seeing what else you do with this!

Good job!

Shooting game never die!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:35 pm 

Any way to make the game compatible with 4.4.2 Kit Kat ? I'd love to try it. Thanks.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:31 pm 

i just tried the Android and iOS version of your game, and i am in love with it. I had to disable the adds...

I see the game is still in beta. Do you have an ETA of the upcoming fixes and the "final" version?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:18 am 

Are you planning non-mobile ports? (PC etc.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 pm 

Like visual style here

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:30 am 

CaptainKraken wrote:
Ahoy!

Qualm #2: Some of the enemies can go very low on the screen. I noticed some popcorn enemies casually drifting under my finger... and sometimes shooting.
The snake boss also slithered much too close for comfort and forced me to the top of the screen, which is a dark and infuriating place to be.
I hold the probably-unpopular opinion that things enemies below you is fine if done right in a shmup. But not in a mobile shmup. In a mobile shmup, the bottom
of the screen is supposed to be for my finger. Any enemies trying to usurp my finger's rightful position are not supposed to be there.

I REALLY hate those snakes. I have no problem with them going way down on the screen, but when they go like a homming missile onto you from bottom to top of the screen, and doing that very fast, i feel cheated. I mean, you dont only have to dodge the bullets, but the god damned boss too!. Not cool.

Also, having only two types of bosses, does not feel like enough. We should have different style of bosses as the level go by.

The game should have a way of telling the player his power is maxed or something. And while we are at it, when you explode, i'm ok with loosing your multiplier, but getting that much underpowered? Not cool... even to, i understand that when the multiplier goes down, the difficulty goes down for awhile.

There should be a way to tell which wave you're at at all times.

One last thing: There should be a menu explaining what the boosters do. We can infer it by playing, but there should be a FAQ for it.
Also, while i understand how the shield works, i believe it should be smaller. I mean, you only have one small vulnerable spot, but the shield cover the whole ship and then some. I believe it should be smaller... having it that big in the middle of a heavy dodging session, will take the shield out in no time, so it becomes useless.

Just my 2 cents for now.

PS: i've got the top score for iPhone as of this writing. YAY!.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 pm 

Thanks for the feedback and ideas everyone! I'm working on a big 0.2 update to the game now.

CaptainKraken wrote:
Qualm #1: the bullets. When the screen gets crowded, as it often does, the bullets tend to mesh into each other, creating a visual mess that is very likely to lead in the player's untimely explosion.
Solution to qualm #1: make bullet graphics more defined and less fuzzy so the brain knows what its trying to dodge intuitively.

Yes I am working on this now with the 0.2 update. I'm introducing new meshes and colors to the bullets.

CaptainKraken wrote:
Qualm #2: Some of the enemies can go very low on the screen.

Good feedback. I'll reconsider how this works now. In WIP 0.2 update I actually added a new enemy that goes down the screen and is hard to kill so he winds up shooting back up at you.

cain wrote:
Are you planning non-mobile ports? (PC etc.)

If I can get it good enough absolutely. It's still a pretty small simple shmup so I don't think it's Steam worthy or anything yet. Maybe after a bunch of updates there will be enough polish and content to warrant a non-mobile release.

Kaspal wrote:
I REALLY hate those snakes.

Haha this reminds me of Indiana Jones :) Yeah the homing part is pretty brutal and at wave 32 there's double snakes and that's just painful. I just didn't make more bosses yet but I'll be replacing that with new bosses for 0.2 version.

Kaspal wrote:
Also, while i understand how the shield works, i believe it should be smaller.

That's interesting feedback. I can definitely experiment with that. Yes it's hard to preserve the health of your shield with it being so large.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:25 pm 

Oh! And I'd like to announce that everyone is welcome to join the beta test for the 0.2 update! It's in testing now on iOS and Android both and I've set up a Discord for feedback, bugs, and such. 0.2 has a whole new multiplayer mode called Conquest where players battle for control of territory on a map. It's still early in development but it's fun to play with and Discord bot announces when sectors are captured and such.

Here's invite link if you'd like to join in: https://discord.gg/WNHGjx

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 9:23 pm 

The 0.2 update is now LIVE!!

WHAT’S NEW IN 0.2
* All new Conquest multiplayer mode. Battle for control of sectors on the grid!
* Two epic new bosses with three phase battles, animations, and fun attacks!
* All new enemies and firing patterns to enjoy!
* Four unique stage appearances and dynamic backgrounds!
* Weapon overdrive attack burst!
* Upgraded visuals and effects!

iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/zerovec ... ?ls=1&mt=8
Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... zerovector

Image Image Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:35 pm 

Tried out the iOS version - liking it a lot, really nice gfx (runs well, even on my iPhone 6), great playability and the trippy music suits the visual style perfectly.

Great achievement so far!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:15 pm 

I downloaded several free shmups for my iphone SE and have deleted all but ZeroVector. It's thrilling, great music, and quick to start playing with no "Connecting..." and it works underground in the subway. 8)

NOICE!

Offline Profile