Decoding boss movement in YGS2000

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Pixel_Outlaw

Decoding boss movement in YGS2000

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Any ideas on how we might produce the boss movement below?

It might just be a drunkards walk with some weighting to move it toward the center if it gets too far away.
Or it could be something like 2 continuous Perlin noise generators with x[0.0 ... 1.0] left to right and y[0.0 ... 1.0] top to bottom positions (within a defined rectangle).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY39n899vZo
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Rozyrg

Re: Decoding boss movement in YGS2000

Post by Rozyrg »

My guess would be that it moves within a set radius of it's 'center point', which moves on it's own. That's at least what I'd do if I were going for a similar effect.
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Rozyrg wrote:My guess would be that it moves within a set radius of it's 'center point', which moves on it's own. That's at least what I'd do if I were going for a similar effect.
They do seem to have *some* limit but I'd say the movement seems to be constrained within a more rectangular area than circular. I guess you could scale the X axis to make it elliptical maybe...

Looks like the source is included but it's some /very/ draconian C.
Kudos to any C guy who can slog through that mess of arrays and magic numbers. 8)

Appears to have .c files in the script directory...

http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=811 ... 7266044381

^ Link there...
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Looks to me like what Rozyrg said. My guess is just sine (two accumulators for phase on X and Y, increasing at different speeds) with very small amplitude added to a center point which is moved with linear interpolation towards player's X. Might have some amplitude modulation going on as well.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.