[NintendoSwitch, XboxOne, Windows, Linux, Mac] CounterAttack: Uprising

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
again

[NintendoSwitch, XboxOne, Windows, Linux, Mac] CounterAttack: Uprising

Post by again »

It's been a long time!

CounterAttack: Uprising is now available on Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, and still on Steam (Windows, Linux, and Mac).

CounterAttack: Uprising Nintendo Switch Launch Trailer

CounterAttack: Uprising Trailer

The main features:

Online cross-platform co-op up to 8 players
-up to 16 if you enter "/foursquared" into the chat box in the lobby. 16 players is hectic and difficult to see, but fun!

Custom Level and Campaign editor.
-Sharable on the Steam Workshop
-Xbox One and Nintendo Switch allow the creator of the level to host online games with their custom levels/campaigns but as of now no level browser is on those platforms. Hoping to create a cross-platform level sharing system in the future.

Deep customization with over 600 attachments
-Unlock and equip Attachments of two types: Modules and Weapons
-Modules range from speed boosts to entirely different ships (Command Corvette, Battle Corvette)
-Weapons range from minor changes like less bullet spread to complete conversions like laser swords
-Secret attachments of multiple types including Seasonal and Chaos
-Attachments act as regents that can be combined to create new weapons and abilities. For example, combining MIRV Missile with Missile Barrage creates a barrage of MIRV missiles. Combining Tesla Cannon with Prismatic Beam creates a spreading multi-beam that bounces between enemies.
-CO-OP in mind: Auras and team focused attachments that add new possibilities in multiplayer games

Accessibility and Play options
-Supports gamepad, keyboard, mouse (Steam) , touchscreen (Steam, Nintendo Switch)
-Multiple difficulties: Easy, Medium, Hard, Very Hard
Spoiler
and Impossible
Replayability
-3 endless survival modes
Spoiler
and one secret endless survival mode
-32 level branching campaign
Spoiler
Shoutout to Starfox 64
Capital Ships
-Multi-crew capital ships can be found on select levels
-All Capital Ships can be piloted by 1 player, but most have extra weapons with multiple pilots
-Biggest one supports 8 players and frankly is a little crazy
-An attachment to summon capital ships that stacks with the more players who use it
-Capital ships carry over between levels
Spoiler
-On special levels such as the Tank level or Sub level capital ships instead drop cargo powerups from space to aid the players
Secrets
-Hidden paths, attachments, references, difficulty setting, and even levels
Spoiler
For example, if you follow this "secret" link you'll find an attachment for Xbox One that isn't searchable or listed anywhere else! At least, not by me..
https://www.microsoft.com/store/productid/9nbdmrf3z6kd
I've been working on CounterAttack for a long time. It's a passion project for me. My original motivation was to make an online Gradius to play with a friend after I moved away to go to college. It kind of got out of hand and now has it's own style. With the Nintendo Switch release and update I've added the Uprising moniker to celebrate how far it has come.
Last edited by again on Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:35 am, edited 9 times in total.
geosnow

Re: [PC/Linux/Mac] CounterAttack

Post by geosnow »

I like the OST. :D What engine are you using?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

I remember playing this game for quite a while and you are definitely improving through many updates.

I do have one suggestion that might help bring clarity on what weapons can be modifiable and what cannot. Perhaps a (*) could represent not modifiable while ones without it are modifiable form other weapon addons.
again

Post by again »

geosnow wrote:I like the OST. :D What engine are you using?
Thanks! I'm using Unity.
MrJBRPG wrote:I remember playing this game for quite a while and you are definitely improving through many updates.

I do have one suggestion that might help bring clarity on what weapons can be modifiable and what cannot. Perhaps a (*) could represent not modifiable while ones without it are modifiable form other weapon addons.
It's come a long way in the last year, but still has a ways to go.

Pretty much every weapon can be modified, or are you talking about which modifications stack with which other modifications?
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

MrJBRPG wrote:I remember playing this game for quite a while and you are definitely improving through many updates.

It's come a long way in the last year, but still has a ways to go.

Pretty much every weapon can be modified, or are you talking about which modifications stack with which other modifications?[/quote]

Stackable Weapons
again

Post by again »

New trailer - https://youtu.be/VfWNzCigc9s

Lots of new changes in the last bit. New art for the player ships, ability to make custom levels, more attachments, many quality of life improvements.
MrJBRPG

Post by MrJBRPG »

again wrote:New trailer - https://youtu.be/VfWNzCigc9s

Lots of new changes in the last bit. New art for the player ships, ability to make custom levels, more attachments, many quality of life improvements.
Thankfully, I have enjoyed the changes made, especially the garage where players can actually test out their attachments before playing in the various game modes.

So far, this seems to be the best shooting game that makes use of strategic gameplay, especially those that implement a weapon array like ones from Gradius, Project X, and even V-five.

If you are into Gradius-type games and like to have loads of weapon and buff combination, this game would be a great addition to the library.

I would also suggest to edit your first post so that it shows the hook of the game along with other features that set it apart. The game is very promising for the shmup community, especially the online multiplayer.
again

Re: CounterAttack: Uprising - NintendoSwitch, XboxOne, Windows, Steam, Mac

Post by again »

Updated post with new trailers and features.

Any feedback is welcome!