[PC] PAWARUMI

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
MsK`

[PC] PAWARUMI

Post by MsK` »

EDIT: It's on kickstarter! \o/

Hi !

We're a team of 3 french developers working on a new shmup called Pawarumi.

The game is in 3D with 2D gameplay, ikaruga & radiant silvergun fans should appreciate :)

You'll have 3 weapons that you can change at anytime and one super attack. Depending on which weapon you use on which enemy, you'll either heal yourself, recharge your super attack or just crush down the hell of that little thing that dare threaten you.

Here's the announcement teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG9uoxjkLqQ

Discover more @ http://www.pawarumi.com !
Last edited by MsK` on Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dodge the bullet, save the world.
Working on Pawarumi, check it out!
My twitter | Manufacture 43's Twitter
Elunil

Re: Pawarumi

Post by Elunil »

Hey Everyone ! Longtime no see !
Actually my first post here so that's quite normal ...

ANYWAY, i'm Alex and i'm one of the artists on Pawarumi!
And i'd love to share some screenshots of our game coming in 2017 !

We would love to answer any question you might have about our game or about the development of it !
And if you are really curious you can follow us on your favorite social media like Facebook or Twitter :)

Feel free to comment , we love feedbacks :)

--dodge the bullet save the world--
Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hello guys ! Just wanted to keep you posted on the fact that we might have a gameplay teaser coming really soon !!
Stay Tuned!

Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Here it is ! our first gameplay teaser !!! check it out and tell us what you think !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql25lAsOaWY
Dev of Pawarumi
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Looks pretty flashy! I like most of the excessive effects on player weapons and explosions, just a bit concerned with the visibility during certain parts (I certainly hope player can't be hit during that super attack). And while I'm a fan of screen shake effect I do think it could use some moderation here. Seems like destroying any enemy causes some shaking which could grow old and even distracting very fast.

Not feeling so hot on enemy and pattern design. Bullet patterns look mundane, enemies kinda just slowly drift around the screen and neither of those aspects really stand out when compared with the other over the top effects and graphics. Just some visual variety among enemy bullets would go a long way in making things more interesting.
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Thanks Ebbo !

yes it is a bit flashy ahah !
We are still in devellopement so any feedback we get to make the game better is welcome !

Good point on different enemy bullets ! We are thinking about it for some times and we will rework that part :)

On enemy and pattern design its still in progress to add more behaviour so don't worry about it !

Thank you for your feedbacks ! come check out our thread or our social networks sometimes to see the evolutions , maybe you'll see wich one you inspired ;)

cheers mate
Dev of Pawarumi
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Wow this is really amazing looking. I actually think it looks like you/the developers did think about visibility, with all shots standing out quite clearly.
Only things that worry me are:

1. The mention of being "healed". Having a life bar can technically work, but it's rarely a good sign in a shoot'em up. You should be able to complete any game of this genre without taking a hit, providing you don't make any mistakes, so not only giving the player a life bar, but actually making it an integral part of the gameplay sounds either like a bold move, or a method to patch up unfair game design.
I COULD see this working though, if a life bar replaced the lives system entirely (like 1943), and the healing element was something you'd do at expensive of your scoring (like, giving up a good multiplier, etc.)

2. Awkward angles or perspective in gameplay sections. This is just from the teaser, so maybe it's not something that'll actually be in the game - but if you want any kind of respect from the hardcore shoot'em up community, this is something that must be possible to disable. Trying to take perspective into account when dodging incoming shots is an abstract variable in the game's difficulty, that takes away from the "clean" basic gameplay that otherwise defines the genre. That said, it doesn't look nowhere near as bad as, say, Iridion - but as long as it's even slightly slanted, someone somewhere will complain about it.
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hey Sumez ! Thanks for the feedbacks !

So about the camera movements, it is just a 1 sec cut scene that bring you to another section of the level quickly, see it as a transition. There will be no enemies or stuff to dodge whatsoever :)

About the life bar :

In the trailer we didn't show any of the UI because its too wip right now. But yes there will be one.
Actually there will be ONE and ONE ONLY to beat the entire game.
Right now we designed the game so that healing mechanic is a complete part of the scoring system but it comes with a price.

Basically when you heal yourself by matching colors (blue Weapon on blue enemy for exemple) you get a bit of your life back BUT the enemies are much stronger so it mean that your can leech a bit longer on them while taking the risk to take damage cause they are shooting much faster.

So there is a high risk high reward philosophy behind that we balanced a bit by giving back player a bit of life back so he can stand a few hits.
But if you loose all your health is game over !
Dev of Pawarumi
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That sounds solid enough!
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hey guys !
Today i want to share a different views on our game !
here are some screenshot of the levels directly from inside the editor.
I activated triggers on one of the level so you can see how we time our enemies. It's basically a big timeline of events, some optional some forced.
Hope you like the new point of view :)

Dev of Pawarumi
Legendre

Post by Legendre »

The maps of level progression are beautiful and fascinating, thanks for sharing!

Tell me, how do you deal with bosses and other elements which may take different players different amounts of time? I don't see any looping pieces or anything like that in your paths. How does that work?
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

If you look closer on the first screenshot (the snowbase level), you'll see a small loop over an arena, that's where the first encounter with the boss happens.
In the second level, there isn't any loop, we just stop the playspace from moving accross the level while we fight the boss. That level has a very mechanical feel as it's some kind of foundry / enemy construction site, so it makes sense.
On the last screenshot there will be one loop in the big cave at the end of the level for boss fight. For the mid "puzzle" boss, I guess I'll just stop the playspace too, not sure yet.
For an upcoming level, we might require part of the level to be repeatable so that it can scroll and feel infinite, or maybe we will go in varying loops over it, I don't know :)
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hi everyone !
Here are some updates to the new level of our shmup! This one is heavily inspired by Indiana Jones, The Last crusade and Raiders of the Lost Ark !
Obviously we couldn't have an Indie inspired level without a big rolling boulder going after you! You can escape by killing enemies so that they crash on it, pushing the rock away and giving you some useful time to survive a bit further!

What would be an Indiana Jones movie without creepy insects! Well look at ours!

And finally, this is the boss of the level, without spoiling too much, he will ask you to choose wisely !

We hope that you like this update as much as the other ones ;)
As usual feel free to ask any questions ! we'd love to answer them and satiate your curiosity ;)
Dev of Pawarumi
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Too impressive!

I'm a dinossaur, near this!
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hey no worries man!
Most of the choices we made for Pawarumi were induced by our skills at the beginning of the project. We have a lot of experience in the game industry so don't feel like a dinosaur !
It might be our first indie game but it's not our first game :)

Actually no! Feel like one! Dinosaurs are awesome!
Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hello guys !
Here is a small update ! But with big impact ! ahaha i'm so funny.

Because this update is about impacts on the ship ! got it ?
Not that good sorry about that !

ANYWAY !
I reworked the impact on the ship and on the shield protecting the player for an instant after being hit.
Now we have some kind of divine intervention from the gods that send you on earth to clean up the mess !
its inspired by mayan calendar as you can guess and was really fun to make !

Bonus : We tried to plug that animation on the smart bomb and it work already pretty nicely ! But i'm going to make another one to make this feature satisfying as hell :p

As usual feel free to give me feedbacks so i can improve and deliver ;)
Cheers !
Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hey guys !

We made a pretty cool midboss last week ! We hope you'll like it !

https://twitter.com/manufacture_43/stat ... 4144804864
Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

What 's up people !
We might start a twitch creative channel soon to show of more of our development process !

What would you like to see in it ?
Level design ?
Art ?
Code ?
Playtest ?

All of it ?

Here is our very empty channel for you early subscriber : https://www.twitch.tv/manufacture43

Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hey guys !
Well we're going on greenlight really soon now !
We need you more than ever to spread the word about Pawarumi in the shmup community ! We're making the game for you guys as much as we do it because we love shmups !
So Keep an eye on our twitter or facebook or on the Discord ! Share the love and we will be everly grateful !

a new batch of screenshots for your eyes feast !
Hope you like them !
Spoiler
Last edited by Elunil on Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Re: [PC] PAWARUMI

Post by Elunil »

That's it guys ! We're on greenlight !
We would greatly apreciate the support of the shmups forum community !

You can vote for us here :
http://greenlight.pawarumi.com

And here is the new gameplay teaser :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0B6NUJoIUs
Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Happy New year folks !!

And for a first good news : WE'VE BEEN GREENLIT GUYS !! Thanks to your votes we passed this step in less than a week !!
How awesome is that ?
Thank you on behalf of the whole team :)

What's next ?

As we are working on the rest of the game , we're also preparing a Kickstarter Campaign. Not to get money to finish the game, but to help us crystallize a community around Pawarumi. It'll also provide you a platform to support us and get some cool reward, like physical editions, Collector ones and many other cool goodies ;)

I'll keep you updated on this as well as the rest of the development :)
Cheers all !
Dev of Pawarumi
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Hi Everyone !
Here is a little preview of the new track our composer is working on for our lava/fusion metal level !

We wanted something quite heavy in order to induce some tension in the player ! It one of the last levels of the game after all !
For the musical direction we are somewhere between heavy guitars, synthwave bass and peruvian flutes !

This is still work in progress ! But the track was so cool i couldn't resist to share it with you !
Tell us what you think !

Dev of Pawarumi
MsK`

Post by MsK` »

I did a compilation of all the prototypes we did this week for the desert level !

http://imgur.com/gallery/Y4DJw

It's kinda ugly because the artists are really busy putting the final touches on the kickstarter campaign. It's starting really soon by the way. Ready yourselves! :D
Puyopuyomayo

Post by Puyopuyomayo »

I'm interested in playin
Elunil

Post by Elunil »

Finally ! We're ready to launch our Kickstarter campaign next Monday !
After a lot of adventures with our bank that delayed the launch , Pawarumi's campaign will start next monday, and you can already go there :http://kickstarter.pawarumi.com to subscribe to an alert and get your early bird copy of Pawarumi with a small discount !;)

To celebrate it, we're making a little stream tomorrow ( 4pm UTC+1) with MsK' ! We're going to try to beat our brand new Hardmode that is in the making ! This way we can see if it's doable at first and it's an opportunity for us to show you what a good Pawarumi player can do with several hours of practice :) MsK' and I having different playstyle it might be a really cool competition
It will happen here on our twitch channel
http://www.twitch.tv/manufacture43

Spread the word about it guys , it's going to be fun ;) We will be on discord as well as the Twitch Chat !
https://discord.gg/Dm6ZW5E

See you real soon people !
Dev of Pawarumi
Faenrir

Post by Faenrir »

Up :P
Go fund this game, guys !
8)
Elunil