shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:08 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: The problem with shmups as a genre.
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:29 pm 

I'm done. Peace.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:33 pm 

Peace out froggy ^_^

I'll be taking my leave too

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:33 pm 

@masterfrog

The game's ok, it's pretty competent for the most part. I have a personal hatred for graphical infidelity (rotating, scaling, transparency) graphics, but besides, it looked ok for a retro-styled meteor defense remake.

If I had to point out some things I didn't like, then uh.

Gameplay could use more things to do. For an experimental shmup it's both an idea that is really old (Missile Command) and also less fun to play when it really only requires paying attention to one dimension of movement, with a total of 2 directions and a firing button that is best always held down and faded into subconsciousness. Enemies don't do much, even bosses. As long as you're trailing under one, you're good. That and some enemies aren't really possible to hit. It feels like it's a crapshoot whether the default angled bullets will hit an asteroid or if it will slip through and at times you have to rely on the fact that it must.

Also back to graphics, when playing it, I thought it'd be nice if it had more going on. Maybe the background could have parallax scrolling to convey more motion feedback? Maybe it could actually progress horizontally to convey a sense of progress. With the screen remaining so static, for so long, it was really losing a lot of energy very quickly, in what was already relatively uninvolved play.

Overall, I think it's an ok little game, better suited for quiet passage of time, I think it could work well as a handheld app.

KEEP YOUR DIGNITY.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:37 pm 

Skipping perfectly valid points and questions from the opposing side just because of an insult here or there, is the opposite of intelligent or constructive discussion. It might make the discussion hurtful to your feelings, it might make it more entertaining to others, but it in no way discredits the arguments that come with them.

This happens quite often, but I'm sure that in your case too it's just an escape ladder away from difficulty.

Last edited by Cagar on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 6:44 pm 

"im not gonna respond to you if you hurt my feelings!!!"

*has a dozen posts in a thread dedicated to belittling everyone*

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:28 pm 

I pity the guy. Had he come to the forums asking earnestly "Hey guys, why do you like this genre that's apparently so outdated?" rather than stating "Shmups are shit, here's why" he might have learned something. As it is, it was just time spent in an unconstructive way for all parties involved.

My videos
Rolling Start!! - Arcade Racing Game Forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:47 pm 

Yeah.
Cagar wrote:
Things would've gone better if you approached this from an angle like 'The problem with shmups as a genre for mass audience', not from 'Guys what you like is wrong and problematic, I don't like current shmups'.

but I got the feeling that this might not have been a matter of approach after all, since he seemed to be stuck with the latter option.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:15 pm 

WE NEED UBER BUT FOR SHMUPS

#DISRUPT SHMUPS

FREEK EVIN

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:35 pm 

No love for moomins?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:32 am 

Swinging this back to the dev side -

Being very generous and assuming the OP is actually being genuine here, this is the kind of bile you USE to craft the game you want out of a mass of ones you dislike. That's the magic of negative inspiration. Put it to work, just bitching doesn't do you any good (especially in this peculiarly aggressive and confrontational manner.)

You can even prove your criticisms' validity by actually utilizing them to make something excellent - then it definitely doesn't matter whether you perfectly measure up to established genre dogma or whatever. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:07 pm 

Hey,

Shmup genre is not dead.
I have been with Vortex Attack to so many fairs (about 20) and people really really enjoy these games, they just are not used to the genre anymore. I don't want to spam at all so I will not post any videos of lots of people having great time with Vortex Attack in fairs, but you can google it if you like :)

So... if they enjoy them ... what's the problem?
They are all arcade, and arcade games can be finished in just about 1h if you are good enough, and nowadays sales are based in the gameplay hours.
Have you ever wondered why darius cs has over a hundred levels? Doesn't matter if they are all extremelly similar, the fact is that it is feeding gameplay hours, again, that's all it matters now.
But guess what? Indies passionate about shmups will keep making new ones, regardles if they are sellable or not. :wink:

Cheers!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:35 pm 

i don’t know if i arrived here too late, as i'm seeing some people leaving and etc.

what i think is that we really need to ask developers to surprise us, asking them to be like Oohara Yuuma, Kenta Cho, Tetsuya Mizuguchi, etc., perhaps asking them to surprise us more than these ones did.

and as developers, perhaps we might ask ourselves exactly the same thing, we really need to think totally out of the box, there is still a lot to be done in the shmup genre - i'm seeing that, even after some decades, the shmups history is still in the very beginning

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:35 pm 

It looks like the conversation in this thread is pretty much over. But I'll just add that the original post made me laugh because I thought it was being satirical. I was thinking, "it's refreshing to have someone with a sense of humor." But ya, if the guy was being serious, there is probably a better venue to dismiss shmups as a genre than the shmups forum. Maybe he should try an RPG forum or something? ;-)

Offline Profile