Fire Lancer - Hot-Blooded Wonder Shooting - DEMO: DEC.25

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Fire Lancer (WIP)

Post by BPzeBanshee »

trap15 wrote:Low-fi PCM is possible, but sounds like garbage and I'd rather not.
Like 7,676 hz OKI samples? :mrgreen:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

12000hz 4bit raw PCM. So yes, far worse.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJW1O1Lwc-c Preview 19 in the house. OP updated.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Damn fine work.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Mmmm delicious carpet bombing.

How does the bomb recharge work exactly? It seems to build up on its own but does killing the larger enemies charge bomb faster or am I just seeing things?
Maybe popcorn enemies could drop bomb fragments or something to that effect to hasten the charge progress.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Kills, damage, and time factor into the recharging. I'm still not quite happy with the parameter balance, but it'll be easy enough to tweak.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Just noticed this! Looks awesome man, I expect great things. Are you doing the music yourself too?

I'm up for testing aswell
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
trap15

Post by trap15 »

No, I can't make music, so we've asked around and are working with tappy (@tappy on Twitter), who will be making the music.

Hopefully we can finish this up soon, I'd kinda like to get this into people's hands :)
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Do you have a timeframe in mind?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
CaptainBadAss

Post by CaptainBadAss »

I just saw this thread and I'm' *way* into it. When you say it's for Wonderswan Color, does that mean there's a flash cart or something for the system or is it going to be on Wonderswan Emulator? I'm really new to all this so sorry for the stupid questions :(

If I can play this on the WonderSwan Color, I'm going to pick one up right now just for this game!
Last edited by CaptainBadAss on Thu May 14, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

CStarFlare wrote:Do you have a timeframe in mind?
I wont have time for background stuff before June, maybe not much before end of June.
Will see what I can fit in. Also it needs more level as well as a finalised boss so I can design new art for that too.
And I have to finish the art for the launch sequence too, as well as title and possibly settings screen.

I imagine there will be a point when more art and music is missing than code :o
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Was messing around while watching Emuser's stream and got the idea to do some Taito lasers. Result: https://youtu.be/kbDz2tKLy8A
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Damn fine lasers.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I was going to make a thread about this sooner or later, but how exactly are Taito Homing Lasers scripted? I mean the actual homing device.

I know it's not just incrementing one position value to the other, like a more simple homing attack (that wouldn't result in them "bending" off screen when they miss?). Do they have an angle track which decrease as they live or accelerate or something like that?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It's actually super simple. Advance facing angle towards player each frame, but limit the amount of angle change. In that video I'm using a max of 2 (out of 256 steps for angle). The actual laser is built of 8 circles, and they each take the place of the next circle on the previous frame. With some extra memory, you can make it less compacted (to use less sprites for more length), but that's just tweaking.

The speed does have a very simple FSM. Until frame 40, decelerate (I'm doing speed -= speed /32 there, where 256 speed is 1px/f), then after that accelerate at some speed (forgot what that video uses, I now use rank to control it).
Squire Grooktook

Ah, I see. So the amount the angle can turn per frame is limited, and then the acceleration just takes it off screen before it can fully turn around? Makes sense. Thanks a ton Trap.

Thanks for clarifying on the trail effect. I figured it was something like that (multiple copies of the sprite).
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Just the limited angle is enough, but the acceleration is part of the style. Regarding the angle limiting, think about a car with a poor turn radius. No matter how much you turn the wheel, you're not going to get to the center. Provided a small enough angle limit, the laser will probably go off-screen even with constant speed.
Squire Grooktook

trap15 wrote:Provided a small enough angle limit, the laser will probably go off-screen even with constant speed.
Ah, I see. Just couldn't visualize it. I think that would depend on the speed though, wouldn't it? I seem to recall I've seen a few variations that loop around for a second go before finally falling off screen. Would that be a matter of making the projectile slower, or altering the angle limit?

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, there are a few ways to guarantee laser exit. The easiest, and in my opinion best, way to do it is just to have the laser constantly accelerate. The other is to decrease the turning limit over time.
Squire Grooktook

Sounds good. I'm sure it'll be fun to experiment with! Thanks again :).

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Dinking around with being a jokester. https://youtu.be/uI1UufW0A1M It's like I'm really playing espgaluda.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

So, just for fun, or a real Danmaku mode?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Just taking the piss out of CAVE's style. Maybe will be in the same way Euro Mode is, but it will never be a main mode.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Almost as much slowdown as a real CAVE game!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

trap15 wrote:Just taking the piss out of CAVE's style.
Then you need at least six more multipliers, four of which are invisible.

It should also counterstop at roughly one tenth of the maximum score potential.
CaptainBadAss

Post by CaptainBadAss »

Still confused on whether or not this is for emulator only or will be on a cartridge of some sort.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Short answer: I don't know.
neocps1

Post by neocps1 »

looks cool really ! any arcade ports ?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Uploaded preview two-oh. https://youtu.be/W2JtsZKchIc

Getting mighty close.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Looks fabulous.