Fire Lancer - Hot-Blooded Wonder Shooting - DEMO: DEC.25

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ptoing

Re: Fire Lancer - Hot-Blooded Wonder Shooting

Post by ptoing »

Yeah, the WSC is pretty restricted compared to a lot of things, esp modern PC dev, which has virtually no restrictions when doing 2D games.

I got some ideas about rearranging certain palettes to allow for some more flexibility, but yeah, have to look into that.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

M.Knight wrote:with directly promoting the scoring in-game, but I am sure you already have ideas of your own.
I actually mostly don't, as part of my thoughts on the matter is "I don't want to be too obvious or in-your-face about scoring" as I feel like it drives away people that aren't wanting to pay a lot of attention to score. It's certainly possible that I've gone a bit too far down that path though, I will have to see about ways to make it more obvious but no more distracting. A bigger size font for x5.0 might be a good and plausible idea, we will look into that possibility I think.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
mice

Post by mice »

Great interview! GG guys.
What did softdrink whisper in your ear, trap? :)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

http://firelancer.ws/

Updated the website with a bunch of information, and a new preview video.
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Thanks to that video, I can finally properly hear the sound effects and music, which wasn't always easy at Stunfest.
The ship select track sounds very nice and fits the "Old military" vibe the game goes for like a glove. The stage track is better than what I managed to hear at the event but the part around 1m56s still feels weird to me. The "Pouing pouing" sounds the instrument sometimes makes were the main part I could hear when playing it and while they are better here, they still sound a bit odd to me.
As for the boss theme, it does the job pretty well, I think.

The mid-sized enemies's explosions lack of a bit of punch to me. They sound a bit drowned out, muffled, as if coming from underwater. The sound effects when a boss explodes are much closer to the kind of explosion SFX the mid-sized enemies should have IMO.

Are the enemy collisions disabled in Light mode? It seems you were able to pass through some enemies unscathed to get some big multipliers, which is very convenient.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
trap15

Post by trap15 »

M.Knight wrote:The stage track is better than what I managed to hear at the event but the part around 1m56s still feels weird to me. The "Pouing pouing" sounds the instrument sometimes makes were the main part I could hear when playing it and while they are better here, they still sound a bit odd to me.
Noted!
M.Knight wrote:The mid-sized enemies's explosions lack of a bit of punch to me. They sound a bit drowned out, muffled, as if coming from underwater. The sound effects when a boss explodes are much closer to the kind of explosion SFX the mid-sized enemies should have IMO.
Very detailed critique, thank you!
M.Knight wrote:Are the enemy collisions disabled in Light mode? It seems you were able to pass through some enemies unscathed to get some big multipliers, which is very convenient.
Yup, when I made the mode I intended no enemy collisions to make the game a bit easier. And what suits a mode with no enemy collisions better than a range-based multiplier :)
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Just a little update here. We are still very much working on this, just that both trap and I had little time as of late.

That said, just yesterday I did work on some of the graphics that were still missing to round out what we already have for Trial mode. There is some more stuff to be done before we can ship the demo, but we are back on track.
Yohanov

Post by Yohanov »

Thanks for the small updates, much appreciated.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

We are releasing a 3-stage demo next month, December 25th, 2018. Get ready for some hot-blooded wonder shooting!
CStarFlare

Re: Fire Lancer - Hot-Blooded Wonder Shooting - RELEASE: DEC

Post by CStarFlare »

Amazing. I can't wait!
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
M.Knight

Re: Fire Lancer - Hot-Blooded Wonder Shooting - DEMO: DEC.25

Post by M.Knight »

Hey, is this your (Christmas) presents for us? :mrgreen:

In any case, I look forward to trying that demo!
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

:(
Yet again I missed out on the WS flash cart.

Really want to play it on my Backlit WSC.

Fire Lancer is the only game I am looking forward to on any system.

Good Stuff trap15.
2d will never die.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Less than a week to go!