shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:17 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: SHMUP Creator: build and blast
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:20 pm 

Ah cool, a fellow c++er :).

It looks quite cool what you made so far. I'm sure there will be many people happy with it.

But just fyi, luabridge makes it relatively pain free to bind in Lua if you'd ever want to include such a feature in the future. It's a header only library which provides a pretty convenient c++ wrapper over lua. Together they are much easier to tie in than say JS or python.
Discord: https://discord.gg/xFCgk3e

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am 

Sorry if that was asked before, but i want to know...

How is it flexible for changing mechanics of game? Gameplay itself? So you woudn't do just clones of established formulas..
Guess thats main reason why people ask about coding/scripting extension.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 6:39 am 

Quote:
How is it flexible for changing mechanics of game? Gameplay itself? So you woudn't do just clones of established formulas..
Guess thats main reason why people ask about coding/scripting extension.

I understand :)
There are a lot of settings to modify the gameplay/score system, and everything is very customizable.
That being said, you are right that there is no way to create something nobody ever done before without a kind of code/script.
As I wrote before, this tool is not going to be the ultimate shmup game creation tool (not with its first installment, anyway!). If I wanted to do something like this, to be honest I'll made some Unity shmup creation package, and sell it for 80$ on the unity store, and people would have to wrote their own rules in C# and complete their game themselves.

My aim it to give people without much coding skill or time to code a way to have fun creating games. You can pretty much do a Gradius or a Danmaku with it in a few days, and I think you'll be surprised by what you can do with it.

I'd love to allow people to do more and create custom rules in the future, like:
.if a player is grazing for more than X seconds, do this to the multiplier, only if he has this weapon

I'll do it one day, but to stay true to the spirit of the project, it will be a graphical UI, like Unreal blueprint.
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:18 pm 

Is there any updated release time frame or beta road map?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:43 pm 

Hi everyone!
Some news:

Original post: http://bulostudio.com/2018/05/23/may-update/

MAY UPDATE

Something happened: I had an offer from a company I couldn’t refuse, and I have been working full-time since January. The result is that I don’t have a lot of free time to work on the SHMUP Creator anymore, and it makes my heart bleed.
But since last month I have begun to work again, at a slow but steady pace.

2D SHMUP:
I’m working on a 2D sample level using sprites.
It’s an horizontal shmup, like Gradius or R-type, and it will be part of the package.
It also a good way to polish and debug the engine: I’m doing a lot of small adjustments and corrections.
For now, there is the player space ship, one enemy, one weapon and one explosion, but I’m working on it :)

SPRITE ANIMATION:
Working on this level made me rewrite the sprites animation code.
Until now it was using Ogre3D animation technique, where users have to save one picture file per animation frame. It’s cumbersome and not good for performance, so I wrote a proper atlas animation shader.
Now user can put all the animation frames on one sprite sheet and give the tool the number of rows and columns, the animation speed and the shader will do the rest!

BUG FIXING:
A lot.
This is my primary concern: I want to do an Early Access as soon as possible, but I don’t want to give people an unstable build.
Another concern is that I want to be sure to stabilize the level’s file format before allowing people to start making games to avoid breaking their creations.

NEXT:
Working again on the SHMUP Creator feels good! I know a lot of people are frustrated because this project is taking so long to complete: I’m the first one to be looking forward to its completion, trust me !:)
I promise to write a follow-up next month, even if it’s a small one.
See you!

S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:24 am 

Quote:
I know, I'd love to add this kind of support. Unfortunately, I'm alone working part-time on my tool, and at Unity they are more than 2500 engineers (last time I checked). It's not fair :)

Man, this is exactly why you open source it! When I first saw your thread I immediately wanted to download the code and poke around. (Also it hurts me emotionally that there's no demo build I could tinker with either :( ).

But really, this project is such a good candidate for being hosted on github (or similar.. wait, nevermind, use github :P). It's definitely something I would be interested in contributing too. The post I quoted was from a discussion about implementing scripting, but if it was open sauce, maybe Trung0246 would even take a crack at implementing that idea.

I guess my big question is:
Is there a reason you have for not open sourcing it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:55 pm 

Hi,
As I wrote earlier, I'm trying to keep the "one post per month" rythm.
So, here it is...
(Original post: http://bulostudio.com/2018/07/01/june-update/)

JUNE UPDATE

AUTOMATIC 2D COLLISIONS:
You can press “auto” in the collision panel and the 2D collision points will move automatically around the sprite. It’s quick and it works :)

2D PLAYER ORIENTATION and BANK ANIMATION:
. I corrected a lot of issues with the player orientation options: the player can stay in the same direction regardless of it moves, it can flip left-right or top-bottom, it can be oriented in the move direction or with the mouse or pad right stick .
. A new feature is that the player sprite can play an animation when the player press a new direction which allows to animate the bank of the player. It’s something you couldn’t do before with the old animation system, and that it’s quite easy to do now.
I still have to draw the new sprites for the player ship banking animation, though, and it’s not easy :)

SNAKE:
On of the enemy type is the snake: it’s an enemy made of one or several parts which moves like a snake or a worm… You can use a different object or picture for the head, the body and the tail. Even if its made of several parts its one enemy, at the difference of the pseudo-snake you can create if you spawn a lot of enemies on a path.

2D SAMPLE LEVEL:
I created the snake and some animated power-ups. Now, I’m working on a turret.

GUI:
I’m doing some design and UI correction with Mathilde. There are a lot of menus to review, the design of Professor Bulo for the in-game tutorials etc.

BUGS:
Did I mention that I corrected some bugs, like I do in every update?

As always, slow but steady progress. I plan to keep a monthly update rhythm, so stay tuned!
S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:14 pm 

Awesome.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:23 pm 

JULY UPDATE

Still trying to keep up the rythm!
(original post: http://bulostudio.com/2018/08/03/july-update/)

Last time I wrote that I planned to work on the 2D sample game: I lied.
The new goal is to complete and polish the editor as much as we can until it feels great and “shippable”. We are making great progress and I’m quite happy to see new bits of UI getting nicer and cleaner everyday.

WHAT WE DID:

As always, I corrected bugs (in the snakes, in the animated textures…). I still have a few minor one to fix, and 2 or 3 big one which causes me headaches…

The in-game tutorials are completely revamped, and they look great :)
We can introduce you to “Professor Bulo” who will teach you the basics of shmup creation! The tutorials are using the editor and the game engine and so are interactive and fun to watch.
We still have to script some more chapters.

At the moment, the focus is really on UI. The most important goal is usability… Making sure that things are easy to use, to pick, to see… Added new and missing icons, moved things pixel by pixel, adding colors to some elements to tell the user “this is a menu about the level” or “this is a menu about the game”. It’s not about look but really about helping users find and understand things better and use the SHMUP Creator in a more intuitive way. It’s about design and usability, and it’s very interesting and very very hard to do :)

We have a lot of work to do on the weapons and bullets editors: the current UI is not reflecting the way the weapons system works to the users. I’m sure we can do better and, with some changes only (renaming things, moving some parts of the UI elsewhere), make things easier to understand.

I’d really like to complete the whole editor polish at the end of August. It would be an important milestone: the tool will be “complete”, and we’ll be able to focus on the last part of the adventure: completing the 2D sample game, completing the documentation and so on.

See you next time!

S.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:03 pm 

Keep it up! I am so excited to see the final output.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:19 pm 

The monthly devblog is still monthly: I'm happy!
Original post: http://bulostudio.com/2018/09/10/august-update/

august update

Hi everyone,

August was a short month because of holidays. We managed to do some work though:

COLOUR CODING:
We added some colors in the editor panels and windows. The UI was very white and is now more colourful. But the real reason was to add an information about the scope of each editors: does it modify some features of a level, or does it modify some features of a whole game? The distinction is important: the lighting or the fog is a level feature. Modifying the lighting of the level 1 will not change the lighting of the level 2. But modifying the player properties will modify the whole game because the player is shared in every level. This is why in the SHMUP Creator the game properties are blue and the level properties are yellow.

(OK, in this picture, player is yellow. It should be blue, my bad)

WEAPON EDITOR:
The weapon system in the SHMUP Creator is simple and powerful. It works like this: you can create weapons for an enemy, and each weapon uses a weapon definition. It means that you can have two weapons at each side of the player using the same definition, which is quite handy because you only have to modify the definition to modify the 2 weapons.
Another thing is that you can have several weapons sets. A set is a collection of weapons for a player or an enemy. You could create set called basicWeapons, a set called mediumWeapons and a “superBonusWeapons” set, and use one or another depending of the item the player takes. Or you could use a power-up to go from the basicWeapons set to the superBonusWeapons set. Or you can use a set for an enemy, and use another one when the enemy goes to a particular waypoint.
We modified the layout of the Weapons editor to reflect this mechanic: a Sets column, then the list of the weapons of the selected set, then the weapon properties, and then the realtime preview. The new editor is sequential, and we hope, is more easy to grasp.

<2014

EXPLOSION EDITOR:
A lot of time when I add a new features I prototype quickly an editor. The explosion editor was still in its prototype form until now and was, quite frankly, a complete mess. Mathilde redesigned everything and I had to re-code some part of it. But at least, it’s really better now, and follow the Weapon editor philosophy.

GUI POLISH:
And as always, we are polishing each part of the SHMUP Creator editors one by one. We added new icons, modified old one, moved things…. Still quite a lot of small adjustments to do, but the end is now close.

WHAT NEXT?
We still have to complete our work on the weapon and explosion editors. We need to review the control settings editor, the about panel, correct the last bits and pieces. All this should be complete at the end of September.

I hope to be able to resume my work on the 2D sample game next.

See you!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:32 am 

Good to see that this is actually gaining faster development. I might have forgotten to state if this engine can use low-res resolutions for pixel art. Unfortunately, my credit card seems to have blocked so i don't think i'll consider buying SHMUP Creator. If the new STGBuilder (the one with refined gui and actual english translation) might come out soon (which possibly might be free despite the fact it has been approved for exporting to EXA-Arcadia), i'll grab that instead of SHMUP Creator, but you're still going great.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5