SHMUP Creator: build and blast (trailer and steam store)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
mamboFoxtrot

Re: SHMUP Creator: build and blast

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

This is looking pretty good!

About joystick support, though, please be sure to include complete configuration options for both buttons AND directions. Sorry if that seems really obvious, but there are a lot of PC games out there that assume that every joystick ever just outputs X/Y axis for directions, if they don't just straight up assume that the Xbox 360 controller is literally the only controller you could ever plug into your PC.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Hi suny, here i am again :-). It´s clear to me that you can not implement everything, or implement it right now.
I just had some thougths. I play a lot of shmups right now. Training DoDonPachi II Bee Storm and playing this and that in-between.
So I get a lot of thought´s and ideas. So here is what I got in the last few days, I know, it's alot :D.

- When screen orientation is switched (Yoko/Tate) the Game Menu and everything should also be changed in orientation. Once the orientation is changed, this orientation should be saved, till is it changed again. The set of Wallpapers should also be changed, fitting the orientation.
- Pot-Shot/"Dragon Shot"(from Dragon Blaze): Fire a part of the player-"ship" to do great damage and place that part on a different spot on the screen to fire from two position. This kind of shot also could erase enemy shots on its way. Pot like at R-Type. And this shot type could also get more points than normal shot.
- Charge Shot: Push button for some time to charge for a bigger shot. Multiple charge steps possible.
- Aim-Shot: Aim-Shot like that of Layer Section or Viper Phase 1, with crosshair. Or like that of Crimzon Clover with an expanding circle, giving more points with expanding time of holding the aiming circle alive. Firing rockets or something on all aimed enemies, when button is released released.
- "Options": Options like mini airplanes, drones or something, circling in different patterns around the player and firing by them self or function as a shield. The options at Battle Garegga are a good example.
- Auto-Bomb: Possibilitiy to implement a auto-bomb function. When the player is hit and there are bombs at stock, the bomb will be released. This could also be available as an option to set at the games option menu.
- Bomb collectibles: 1 Collectible for one bomb or more collectibles for getting one bomb.
- Different Bombs: Different kind of bombs, like one for upper layer and one for lower layer. Getting different amount of points or something.
- Switch-Shield: Shield to switch on and off like at Akai Katana, using up some kind of points that can be collected at the game.
- Exploding-Shield: Shield that can be collected an only lasts one, two, three etc. hits. When got hit, an explosion in a setup radius could be triggered and enemies in that zone take a preset damage. This Shield could also be upgraded when more of them are collected.
- Bullet canceling: Enemy bullets disappear when bomb or some other gameplay element is used.
- Ammunition: Ammunition is running low, and can be collected for different weapons.
- Sword: Some kind of Sword as weapon, maybe in combination of shield.
- Weapon-Changing "Power-Up": Power-Up is the wrong word. I think about the collectible weapons like at the Raiden series. Either one collectible for every kind of weapon or one that changes type of weapon till it is collected.
- Destroyable Enemy Shots: Some of the enemy shots could be destroyed and then disappear or split into smaller pieces with patterns. When be destroyed also could give an explosion and kill nearby enemies.
- Triggers for Music or Wallpapers: Triggers to change music title and/or wallpaper. For example at the beginning of a new stage or when a Boss appears.
- Multiplier/more points: Multiplier or points get even more increased when player cycles often between shots/weapons, like wide shot and laser at DoDonPachi. Or Multiplier/Points go up with distance to the enemy.
- Hitbox/Hitzones: Zone for one hit kill and zone for smaller damage or losing 1 Power-Up or something.
- Collectibles for Extra-Points: Collect something like letters to form a word like EXTRA in every stage to get extra points at the end. Example would be Blazing Star, another example would be the prisoners at Metal Slug.
- Day/Night/Weather: Change for day, night and weather like rain or snow for an complete stage. At 2D-Games also changes the color scheme. In this way the same stage/level could be used at different play modes with a different optical appearance
- Shadows: Possibility to simple implement shadows in 2D and 3D games. Change the possition of the "light source"
Highscore lists: Highscore lists with different aspects like difficulty, play mode, level/stage.
- Highscore systems: Highscore getting lost when using continue. When Highscore is reset, the highest Score in the run counts for Highscore list. Or, Highscore counts for the whole run, even when using continues.
- Speed Boost: Speed boost to scroll the level faster or just boost the player ship. Maybe be invincible for the time of the speed boost.
- Time Slowdown: Time slows down by bushing button or some other trigger, like at Espgaluda.
- Color-Switching (Ikaruga Effect): Possibility to switch the color of the player to do more damage to oposite colored enemys and use same colored enemy bullets as collectibles for points, amunition shield etc..
- Player Speed: Player speed changes with weapon to be used. As at DoDonPachi with wide shot or laser, player moves with different speed.
- Playmodes: Option for different playmodes like Arcade, Story, Survival etc. at the start menu.
- Difficulty Option: Possibility to select the difficulty like Easy, Normal, Hard,... And a tool to more easily create those difficulties. Like a list or something to set different kind of shot patterns for the enemies or moving speeds or different enemy patterns like how they appear on the screen.
- Save Game: Save game option like at Sturmwind at story mode. When player completes one stage in one difficulty, this will be saved. So that one can later return and start from that level at the highest difficulty one has cleared the stage before. This gives great replay value and give newbie the opportunity for slowly work their way up.
- Level-Map: A Level/Stage map to select between the Stages which way to go next. Like at Chotetsu Brikinger Ironclad.
- Multiple background layers and multi-parallax scrolling for 2D-Games.
- Video Record: The complete run through the game will be recorded and can be saved at the end. This could be an option at the options menu to set on/off.
- Scaler/Scanlines etc.: As an option for 2D-games with pixilated graphics, one could implement scalers like 4xBRZ or hq4x, as some people like that optical appearance more. Option to set scanlines for the play screen. Those options not for wallpapers.
- Bullet pattern generator and bullet database: An tool to simply create and change bullet patterns for player and enemies. Here one could also change the colors and size of the bullets. And the bullets change shape and size with distance to the "shooter". An database for bullet types, where users can feed new types of bullet forms in, would also be nice.
- Database: A database for graphical contend like bullets, enemies, sprites etc. and sound content, where users can feed in and use free.
- Possibility to create control schemes like that of Zero Gunner 2.
- Possibility to implement Videos at start or between the stages, or in some little field/frame while playing the game. For Story Mode this would be great, to see and hear someone from "headquarters while on the mission.
- Maybe tools for working with sound, sprites or other graphic content included or tipp's what tools to use. Especially for newbie's and people with not much experience, help with this would be great.
- Compiler for different systems: Would be really great when one could compile the created game for different systems like Linux, PlayStaion 4, Xbox 360, iOS, Android, Dreamcast etc. I loved the Beats of Rage games to be ported/compiled for Dreamcast and PSP. PS4 would absolutely be stunning.
- Please make it possible to create all gameplay elements from all existing Shmups :)
suny

Post by suny »

Wow, what a list!
Thanks a lot for your involvement, Shadolf.
Some items are already implemented, some are already on my to do list, some I didn't think of them and I added them.
Others are now on my "v2" list.
I'd like to find a way to allow people to customize every part of their game without coding, and I'm thinking of a kind of visual scripting thing, like the kismet in unreal.
But to be honest, it's not for today.

Writing a tool is a quite harder task that I thought. Right now, I'm still reworking the 3D manipulators, for example, because I want them to be perfect. I also have to rewrite the way I rotate things, because I want people to be able to type numeric angles, and until now, I was using quaternions internally. A lot of thing which have nothing to do with gameplay, but which are taking all my time...
How frustrating!

So, I'm not forgetting you! I'm looking forward to working again on the gameplay and features.
I'll keep you informed :)
S.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Hi suny, I´m happy to help in any way I can. If there is something I can do to help you like testing your tool and giving response or something, just let me now. When you release your v1.0 and I can raise the money I will test it and give you response anyway :) .

Another thing I thought about a lot. When someone wants to create a game with your beautiful tool and has not much experience with graphics stuff like textures, sprites or modeling 3D-struktures. What would be the best and easiest way to let them do all of this or assist them to learn fast and tell em what tools to use etc. Maybe tutorials in video or text and picture form?!

I´m happy to hear of any progress you do and hope you have fun doing the work :) .
Wish you all the best with the project.
suny

Post by suny »

About joystick support, though, please be sure to include complete configuration options for both buttons AND directions. Sorry if that seems really obvious, but there are a lot of PC games out there that assume that every joystick ever just outputs X/Y axis for directions, if they don't just straight up assume that the Xbox 360 controller is literally the only controller you could ever plug into your PC.
mamboFoxtrot : It's a good remark. I would like to support any arcade sticks/joypad, and today I just tried every PC shmups installed on my hard-drive right now (danmaku unlimited 2, astebreed, crimzon clover....), and none of these games allows direction remapping.
Do you have an example of a game who do that?
It's easy to do with the D-pad, but I was wondering how other games do it for analog sticks.

I'll think about it. Thanks!
S.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

I think it depends on how your arcade controls are conected to you PC. The Control Panel of my NAOMI is connected with JVS-PAC to the PC, so the buttons and directions match the corresponding keys on the keyboard that are used with MAME. I think its easy to implement that, right. Aren´t other Arcade Sticks, which are not based on XBOX360 hardware, all functioning like this?
Last edited by Shadolf on Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
suny

Post by suny »

I don't have (for now) any arcade controllers at home, so thanks for the infos!
So, if I understand correctly, the JVS-PAC is sending key-codes to the PC as if it was an USB keyboard, right?

So, if you can use these keyboard keys for the SHMUP Creator:
Button 1 - Left Control
Start - 1
Up - Up Arrow
Down - Down Arrow
Left - Left Arrow
Right - Right Arrow
(Etc...)

It will work with any JVS-PAC compatible arcade sticks?
Please correct me if I'm completely wrong :)
S.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Yes, right. As I know every non PS3/Xbox360 Arcade Controller sends key-codes like an USB-keyboard.
I don´t know if they are all mapping the same keys as used in MAME. As a matter of fact, there are programmable ones, too.
So in some you can choose yourself which "button/direction" matches what key on the keyboard.
The JVS-PAC is an electronic device that converts and sends the signals from the JVS I/O in your cabinet to the PC and it´s not programmable as I know.
So for the JVS-PAC what you said was right, but JVS-PAC works only with an "JVS"-cabinet. Not everyone has such an cab and other normal arcade sticks may have other mappings.
It would be perfect when there is a standrad MAME control setting and an option to select the keys/buttons and match them by yourself just like in MAME.
In MAME for example you can select the direction right and than push the stick of your connected controller to the right and its done.
But for now the standrad MAME control setup is the right way to go, as mani people having controllers that already match that setup or are able to do just that.

I just can suggest you getting an Candy Cab when you are into Shmups, it´s the perfect way to play :D .
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Hey Suny, any news about progress?? I know i´m somewhat annoying but i´m so curious about whats going on with the Shmup Creator.
I just have to ask from time to time. At Twitter and at your blog aren´t to much news.
When you have some time, it would be very nice when you write some informations about details of the tool itself, progress, what you are working on right now and so on.
Please :D
suny

Post by suny »

Hi !
No updates lately, because we had to move to a new apartment, and that took a long time. We'll also try to have some vacations in a few days :)

My PC is at last out of it's box and connected to the internet, so I will resume my work on the SHMUP Creator shortly.
Right now, our aim is to debug and polish what's already existing, with a focus on the core functions, like creating, moving, rotating, duplicating objects, for example.
We also have to debug and modify some tools which are working well for a vertical game, but not so much for an horizontal one.
Lastly, there are a lot of small unfinished things everywhere. I really want to clean everything now before adding new things.

So, no exiting stuff for a few weeks, I'm afraid, but please bear with us!

S.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

I WANNA BUY THIS TOOL, man!

Looks amazing!
suny

Post by suny »

NOVEMBER UPDATE

Original post here:
http://bulostudio.com/2015/11/09/update-novembre/

November?
The last post was in August, and we are in November? Already???
Ok, here’s what happended: we had several contracts with a very big company. Very interesting work. The downside, of course, is that we had not a lot of time left to work on the SHMUP Creator.
The good side is, well, we have some money in the bank, which is always good news, and we resumed our work on the SHMUP Creator 3 weeks ago.
Yeah!

Right now, I’m mostly working on correcting bugs, cleaning the code, correcting bugs… This is a good time to consolidate the code in order to have a robust tool before attacking the polishing phase.

On top of that, there are a lot of new features and corrections, like:
. if the user modify a texture, a sprite or anything while using the SHMUP Creator, the game updates itself automatically
. we can customize a lot of new things, like the textures for the scores, the multipliers, the game overs etc.
. we can use a trigger “random”, to launch event randomly
. we can use a trigger “item”, to spawn items (for example, if the player kills certains enemies)
. the rotations, scale and translations of any entity can be modified numerically
. the background can now use lightmaps to light it, on top of the realtime lights
. there are a lot of code optimizations, especially for the bullets
. tons of small improvements for the GUI and the tool itself

What next?
We can’t predict how long this phase of development will carry on. After that, we will go back to the user interface and update it with the new features (mostly gameplay related) and the new tools.
We would like to add some kind of tutorials inside the SHMUP Creator too to help people start using it.
And the last big thing: we wil create an horizontal 2D level, using sprites. It will ship with the SHMUP Creator, and will help us polish the tool and correct the last bugs.

So, stay tuned!
S.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Hey Suny,
nice to hear some good news :D .
I´m still very curious about the Shmup Creator.
Maybe I should create some sprite and do some leveldesign right now :mrgreen:
suny

Post by suny »

NEMESIS II (GRADIUS) on MSX

Original post here:
http://bulostudio.com/2016/01/11/nemesi ... us-on-msx/

After being introduced to programming with my VG5000, I’d wanted to quickly acquire a more sophisticated machine. Then came an used Philips MSX. At the time, this computer was of the same quality than his direct challengers like the C64 or the Amstrad 464. One of its advantage was her Japanese conception allowing it to have a cartridge port transforming it into a decent game console. One of the most prolific game publisher on this machine was Konami which released future classics like Metal Gear Solid, Twin Bee, Castlevania, Gambare Goemon et Nemesis (aka Gradius outside of Japan).
And a saturday afternoon, I received as a gift a Nemesis 2 cartridge and after that my life was never the same.

. SHOCK
To begin, the first thing that blow your mind when you start the game is the sound. The Nemesis 2 cartridge has a SCC chip which add five more sound channels to the MSX standard three. More technical informations here.
Listening to 8 tracks musics, composed by a real professional musician was a change from those usual 3 tracks melodies written by the accustomed amateur musician.
Next, the graphics, with huge animated flames, gigantic bosses, destructible backgrounds, which made your eyes cry (unless that cames from the 8 to 8 pixels scrolling. A good reason to later wear glasses…).

. SECRETS
And finally, the secrets : secret passages almost impossible to find, bonus weapons which, at this time, I’d never suspected the existence (I was young and without internet nor gamefaqs, huh), the famous Konami code cheats…
A big souvenir : when you fight a boss, you have to shoot him right in the belly to open a breach in his defenses and then, attack his core (the famous: “shoot the core”). Once dead, the boss stays inert for a few seconds then explode in a sheaf of yellow pixels. And I remember, unforgettable moment, the day where I said to myself “Certainly dumb, but why not try entering the breach, to see…”, and then, the screen disappeared, an unknown bonus level appeared, and I was filled with an enormous feeling of joy, and wonder was glowing in my kiddy eyes.
In truth a good Wednesday afternoon.
And of course, I pass on the game secrets and modifications if you insert another Konami game in the second MSX cartridge port, like playing as Penguin if you put Penguin Adventure or a lot of cheats with Q-Bert.
What a nice time of free secrets, that was before the free2play era my good lady.

. FIRST CONTACT with the GAME DESIGN
I also remember a small detail which struck me at this period: when the player’s spaceship approaches a gun turret too close, this one doesn’t shoot,fair play,to prevent death by an unseen or inescapable bullet. Then I had an epiphany: this game had been conceived by designers (even though I didn’t know this term), that is to say, people which worked hard on a product, thought about it and found solutions to numerous problems, took decisions to improve and make the game pleasant. This was later called game design, or game-play.
I also felt a real difference with usual lousy half games which I was used to. There it was a super production, a team job and a professional one. This was quite the same feelings I had, at the time, playing Super Mario Bros on NES (Well stronger for Mario but this is incomparable).
This is the difference between sophistication and a makeshift job.

This game is one of the reason I spent so many years working in the game industry, and obviously, the reason why I'm coding a SHMUP right now.

Link to a video of this old but great game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yswWoP4doI8

S.
suny

Post by suny »

SPRITES AND SNAP

Hi, some gifs to show the new 2D features: we can now snap sprites in the 3D editor. (the assets are not mine, by the way...)

This other gif show that the snap is using the sprites borders, and works well even if the sprites are rotated:

That's all for now!
S.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Far out! :shock:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
mice

Post by mice »

emphatic wrote:Far out! :shock:
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Realy nice. I can´t wait to try myself.
Prado

Post by Prado »

Can I make a Gradius or R-type fangame with this tool?
I'm active at the SMBX forums:

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/
suny

Post by suny »

Can I make a Gradius or R-type fangame with this tool?
Yes, you "mostly" can.
Mostly, because you can do almost everything from these games, but not everything: no charge shot for now, no options, no gradius style power ups...
I can't implement these features for the v1, but I definitely will later.

As a side-note, I'm only working part-time on this project right now, but I'm making progress anyway.
I'm completing the last features right now, and I'll write something soon about the state of the project.

S.
suny

Post by suny »

SCORING SYSTEMS

Still working part-time on the project, because of a (super cool and top secret) contracting job, but the good news is: my features list is almost complete!
I'm currently implementing the scoring systems: gauge, chains, power up, multipliers, medals....
See you soon for the next update.

S.
suny

Post by suny »

FREE SCROLLING GAMES

To answer the question of Slapdash at tigsource, I made a quick demo showing that you can make free scrolling games like Desert Strike with the SHMUP Creator:

S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Amazing progress on the engine! Hopefully you'll be able to implement those advanced options (charge shots, multiples/drones) soon enough after v1 comes out.

From what I see regarding the sprite snapping, it appears we will be allowed to manually set sprite collision boxes as vector points on the fly?
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Hey suny, nice to hear some news.
Very interessting option to make some "xxx Strike" kind of games.
Although I have reeealy little time for my hobbys at the moment, I can´t wait to get my hands on this tool :D :D :D .
suny

Post by suny »

From what I see regarding the sprite snapping, it appears we will be allowed to manually set sprite collision boxes as vector points on the fly?
Yes, you can add 2D shapes and moves the points with the mouse. The shape will be used as a collision mask.
The limitation is that the shape is always convex, but you can add as many shapes as you want, so it's okay :)

S.
Malenko

Post by Malenko »

Any sort of pre-release , pre-order, demo or anything?

Ive been working with Godot engine but this looks like its going to cover everything I'm trying to do and make it a million times easier to do.
suny

Post by suny »

Any sort of pre-release , pre-order, demo or anything?
Not yet...
I'm very frustrated, because I can't work on it full time right now, as I'm doing contracting work on another project for a few weeks.

I'll be right back full time on the project in June, to work hard on the debug and the polish in order to release a beta to some people, then a pre-release.

S.
WeGoGo

Post by WeGoGo »

This tool is great. Does it support build to mobile platform like android and ios?
030079AR

Post by 030079AR »

I saw this on twitter. Looks cool :D
Reminds me to daezaemon but with lot of professional stuff. Good job
Noob shmups dev, working on Burst Fighter
suny

Post by suny »

This tool is great. Does it support build to mobile platform like android and ios?
Thanks!
The tool will be PC only for now.
If there is enough people on earth interested in this kind of tool (I hope !), I plan to add ios and android builds for the V2.
S.