Shmups Coding Competition by PDRoms

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Ghegs

Shmups Coding Competition by PDRoms

Post by Ghegs »

Found this nifty site PDRoms which hosts homebrew games for different systems, from Atari 2600 to PS2. But what really caught my interest was this: Coding Competition for shmups!
PDRoms wrote:Create a 2D shooter of any kind, this could be a horizontal, vertical or 360° shooter. Be innovative, do not only create spaceshooters :-) By "2D shooter" we do not mean games like "Space Invaders", there should be at least some kind of action on the screen. No "real 3D" stuff!
The compo runs from 10th of January to 10th of April.

Maybe some of our resident coders would like to create a nice console shmup. :wink:
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

I'm working on my entry :-)
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Well hey, if anyone around here does decide to do such a thing, I'm definitely willing to contribute some music to the cause.
iatneH

Post by iatneH »

What a coincidence...

I had just started making a shmup for GBA a few days ago as my first GBA project... coding from scratch in C but it will probably suck so I'm not entering it.

Plus I can't draw worth crap... only drew one frame for the main sprite so far...
RedKnight

Post by RedKnight »

I wonder if there's a good Snes C style compiler out there.
one that's easy to use as HAM (gba)
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I'm thinking about making a TurboGrafx shmup for this comp. Haven't done anything yet as of this moment but since I have done TG coding before and have a couple development tools I may be able to pull it off...
AntiPasta

Post by AntiPasta »

RedKnight wrote:I wonder if there's a good Snes C style compiler out there.
one that's easy to use as HAM (gba)
Oh come on, the SNES deserves some decent assembly language ;-)
Moreover, C wouldnt exactly be efficient on a 3.6mhz CPU with 3 registers.
...and suddenly, a very freaky wormhole opened, and 4 3-foot tall market analysts fell out...
Aggrav8d

Post by Aggrav8d »

Ports are not allowed (even with permission of copyright holders), but remakes are (with permission of copyright holders). So if you do a remake on a platform where the game never appeared.... ?

Also, this contest doesn't explicitely say who owns the games at the end of the contest. Usually they'll have a clause like "The game author(s) retain all rights and priviledges (sp) to the game and our site gets non-exclusive access to make the game available for download" or some junk like that. I'm no lawyer.
Dan "Aggrav8d" Royer, Owner
Marginally Clever Games