Also, I am giving away 5 free copies of the game on itch.io for the first 5 people to PM me (based on timestamps)!
NEW: Video of v0.9.3.0's gameplay, including 3 of the new levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaSwfiwIzlA
Video of a really old version's gameplay can be found on my channel (v0.27): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VgHiAe7cIY
Screenshots (TO BE UPDATED):
Special thanks to BPzeBanshee and GMOSSE, shout out to n0rtygames for giving me a shoutout on his Facebook page.
Note: this game is aimed to be closer to 80's and 90's hori shmups like Final Mission/S.C.A.T., Forgotten Worlds, Chariot and Gun Hohki than it is to modern danmakus.
Please leave a message here if you come across any glitches or game-breakingly unfair things you find in the game. If you get an in-game error message, an "error.log" file will show up in the game's directory; please paste the contents here or PM it to me.
Keyboard Player 1
- Z: Shoot Left
- X: Shoot Right
- C: Use Astra (Bomb)
- Enter: Pause
- Up Arrow: Move Up
- Down Arrow: Move Down
- Left Arrow: Move Left
- Right Arrow: Move Right
- Q: Shoot Left
- W: Shoot Right
- E: Use Astra (Bomb)
- Enter: Pause
- I: Move Up
- K: Move Down
- J: Move Left
- L: Move Right
- Left Button: Shoot Left
- Right Button: Shoot Right
- Middle Button: Use Astra (Bomb)
- Enter: Pause
- Move Mouse: Move character (character follows cursor)
- Button 7: Shoot Left
- Button 8: Shoot Right
- Button 1: Use Astra (Bomb)
- Button 10: Pause
- Stick: Move character
UPDATES (Please Read):
- Four new levels of mayhem! Descend into a graveyard of ruined vessels and alien structures filled with deadly traps, chase an armed derelict battleship across a lava-streaked valley and brave the extradimensional beasts and magnetic storms of the holy tower Dharmakshetra, before confronting the relic thief in her final assault on the floating capital city of Pankhon Kee Bhumi as she commandeers an ancient planet-shattering weapon to do her bidding. Can you muster up the courage and skill to fight through tons of new enemies and bosses in order to defeat her before she destroys the world?
- New Training Mode! Having trouble with beating a level? Hone your skills with the new Training feature that allows you to select any level within the game and adjust the starting difficulty to fit your needs. Go easy on yourself or crank it up to the max--the choice is yours!
- New Scoring System! Using your Astra (Bomb) while your shields are fully charged will deplete them in exchange for a 3x multiplier on all enemies killed before your shields can recharge. Getting hit while vulnerable will reset the score multipler to 1x. Will you play it safe, or dare to risk your life for bigger rewards and 1ups?
- Updated Controller support! Special thanks to BPzeBanshee for his help in troubleshooting and integrating the newer GMS gamepad functions into Papilio using code from G.M.O.S.S.E. The game now supports XInput and PS4 controllers, as well as plug n' play detection.
- Rebalanced many of the weapons to be more powerful.
- In 2 Player mode, a minor bug may happen at the end of Stage 1 while fighting the boss if your camera is positioned too low during the forced autoscroll section before the fight, causing it to get temporarily stuck and not scroll upwards with your movement. You can remedy this simply by having both players fly straight up until the camera normalizes, or by circling around the center of the screen for a while before flying up. Thankfully this glitch is rare and easily fixed.
- The Frost and Flame Wisps sometimes don't reposition themselves accordingly when you switch firing directions. This may be due to how the button press mechanics for left-and-right shooting are implemented. It's kinda useful though, so I might give this one the Street Fighter II combo treatment.
- The Gale Wisp is sometimes erratic in its behavior, particularly at the start of a level. Adjustments are still ongoing.
- 2 Player mode may need more testing in light of the recent Doubleplay mechanics. Please give me a heads up if you spot anything weird; screenshots would be greatly appreciated.
- The Stage 2 EX boss sometimes has a minor graphical glitch when he flies to the left. I have attempted a fix, but please notify me if it still persists.
- The new weapons and especially the Bombs are as of yet quite untried and may be unbalanced. Feedback on them is highly appreciated.
- Create assets for the True Last Boss. You didn't think I wouldn't add one did you?
- Create new music for the remaining levels
- Update Survival Mode to include the new enemies