shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:10 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 1:47 am 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Posts: 2781
Location: UK (west yorks)
This article isnt my kind of thing, but I thought you guys might enjoy it. About compression and funnelling in shmups or whatever the fuck that means
http://gamecareerguide.com/features/951 ... n_and_.php
_________________
http://indieanddoujingamer.blogspot.com/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:02 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 4841
Quote:
Jokes and sniggering aside, the phallus has been acknowledged by many as the inspirational basis for many design decisions, but rarely has the vagina ever been given such design importance -- especially in games.

Quote:
In the next stage of delivery, the uterine contractions continue to encroach on the fetus, but the dilated cervix allows gradual propulsion of the fetus through the birth canal. The reliving of this stage does not involve the exclusive identification with the role of the suffering victim like the previous stage; it also provides access to enormous reservoirs of pent-up murderous aggression.

:lol:

I'll be using compression and funnelling on my girlfriend before I start using it in making a successful R-Type clone!

EDIT: Not making fun of you Trev, the article is stupidly hilarious.
_________________
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 4:35 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5510
Location: Canada
This is the longest and most convoluted way of saying "Objects move on a path in linear time" I've ever seen. :P


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:05 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 11 Jul 2009
Posts: 2781
Location: UK (west yorks)
Well to be honest I only skimmed it ina half asleep state rather then reading it properlly. It seemed to be talking bollocks, but I assumed that there must be some good content in there since its 4 pages long and linked on the gamasultra site. Looks like I was wrong though, atleast it provided you guys some entertainment :)
_________________
http://indieanddoujingamer.blogspot.com/


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:27 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 4841
Well it does have its merits but I think it's meant for people who have no idea what a shmup is and want to make an art game.

Pretty much all of the stuff in the article I read I knew about already, albeit on a subconscious level. I imagine shmup players would know this like the back of their hand too.
_________________
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 7:58 am 



Joined: 19 Jan 2009
Posts: 680
Location: stuck at the continue prompt
BPzeBanshee wrote:
Pretty much all of the stuff in the article I read I knew about already, albeit on a subconscious level. I imagine shmup players would know this like the back of their hand too.

The desire to know something "obvious" at a less subconscious level is the foundation of science.
This article puts forward a worthwhile theory of scroller level design; it isn't a particularly deep, interesting or convincing theory, but any general principle is better than nothing.
Try to see the earnest effort to understand games behind the phallus, the vagina and their reservoirs of pent-up murderous aggression!


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:26 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 4841
Ixmucane2 wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:
Pretty much all of the stuff in the article I read I knew about already, albeit on a subconscious level. I imagine shmup players would know this like the back of their hand too.

The desire to know something "obvious" at a less subconscious level is the foundation of science.
This article puts forward a worthwhile theory of scroller level design; it isn't a particularly deep, interesting or convincing theory, but any general principle is better than nothing.
Try to see the earnest effort to understand games behind the phallus, the vagina and their reservoirs of pent-up murderous aggression!

:lol: Will do, and I see your point too. Any idea is better than no idea.
_________________
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:42 pm 



Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Sorry to bump such an old thread but this is something that I wrote. It had to be diluted fairly heavily as the original was written for a PhD level thesis. I think for it to make more sense (and give the quotes some context) I should mention that the theory was developed in relation to H.R. Giger's influence on the development of Irem's R-Type. It was written with a non-hardcore audience in mind.

I also understand that a lot of people can take the 'well dah' attitude towards rational design, however as an educator you can't assume that you will be talking to intuitive designers. All intuition is grounding in some type of logic - but it is often hard for intuitive designers to articulate their design method.

I was going to call it "Vagina's for better level design" but thought that might be a bit out there. :wink:


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:36 am 


User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2006
Posts: 5510
Location: Canada
Did someone call for a giant space vagina boss

Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:16 am 



Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 5
Nice - Freud would be rolling over in his grave.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:45 am 


User avatar

Joined: 18 Feb 2011
Posts: 5489
Location: Denmarku
You did that on purpose


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:10 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 4841
Berty-Mark2 wrote:
Sorry to bump such an old thread but this is something that I wrote. It had to be diluted fairly heavily as the original was written for a PhD level thesis. I think for it to make more sense (and give the quotes some context) I should mention that the theory was developed in relation to H.R. Giger's influence on the development of Irem's R-Type. It was written with a non-hardcore audience in mind.

I also understand that a lot of people can take the 'well dah' attitude towards rational design, however as an educator you can't assume that you will be talking to intuitive designers. All intuition is grounding in some type of logic - but it is often hard for intuitive designers to articulate their design method.

I was going to call it "Vagina's for better level design" but thought that might be a bit out there. :wink:

Your point is totally valid, and makes sense considering the long-running history of people who just don't seem to get it when it comes to shmups missing otherwise small intricacies like what you were trying to point out here.

You gotta admit though, it's quite a laugh. :D
_________________
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:54 pm 



Joined: 24 Feb 2011
Posts: 5
BPzeBanshee wrote:
...You gotta admit though, it's quite a laugh. :D


Yeah, I have to admit, that when I wrote that article I had to introduce some pretty controversial psych theory in a way that would not be intimidating to people. I have to lecture under-grads about the psychological aspects of gaming. Some of the Freud stuff makes people quite uncomfortable and so sometimes the best way to deal with it, I think is a bit of humor and that was the tact that I used when writing the article. Maybe in hindsight it undermines some of the theories legitimacy, but I think that it has created just enough cognitive dissonance to do its job from an education stand-point. :wink:

I remember studying semiotics as part of my under-grad and having the 'well-dah' attitude towards it. Sure we all know these things, but I being able to concisely deconstruct them goes a long well to solving design problems, especially in a production environment. It is not enough to simply state - 'oh this is wrong' without actually being able to provide the logic and logical solution to the opinion.

I would be happy to do some more advanced examples for people if you so desired. :)


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Shmup game design theory article (gamasultra)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 am 


User avatar

Joined: 08 Feb 2009
Posts: 4841
Prometheus wrote a document entitled "The Full Extent Of The Jam" which can be found at the Strategy subforum that was aimed at general audiences having trouble learning to play. Maybe it might be great if you did something similar in regards to game development for here - though "complex words" could probably alienate a fair few people here if it causes confusion when reading, which for me most Ph.D materials and stuff do so I don't read them.

It'd certainly be a good thread alongside the "common mistakes by developers" in terms of useful help, that's for sure. :D

Out of curiosity, have you developed a game of your own yet? You certainly seem to have the theory for it.
_________________
Projects: G.M.O.S.S.E / Warbird A13:02 / Zenohell / XII STAG Hi-Score Thread


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group