G.M.O.S.S.E - MK-IX (30/11/16) GM:Studio at last!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: G.M.O.S.S.E - MK-VI (1/01/2012) Input Replays, new fonts

Post by BPzeBanshee »

School's cranking it in but I'm still getting some time here and there to develop. Progress rant as follows:

If you saw me hijack the Art of Heads-Up Displays thread in Off-Topic this won't really be news to you, but GMOSSE now has an alternative HUD style based on feedback from Ed Oscuro and trap15. A fine example of forum elitism getting turned into actual helpful advice - with some additional improvements to the existing scheme as a result. Here's a screenshot:

Aero Flux also got grilled on the same thread so the Power Level seen in previous posts will be removed and the bomb graze meter will be made vertically oriented on the bottom corners. Haven't gotten around to actually implementing this yet but the plan is there. Also, having problems with putting in sprite-based fonts for it (can't get it looking quite the same as the original) and performance is still not as good as I'd like it to be. This side-project has kinda gone on the backburner unfortunately. :(

I somehow managed to completely break and then fix GMOSSE. Deleting the config file and then figuring out what *wasn't* getting written to it (highscore method, music config file location and font type) solved that. I also moved the config loading, defaulting and saving to their own scripts (scr_loadconfig, scr_defaultconfig and scr_saveconfig located in Scripts>CORE>BPze) so they're more friendly to modify.

Also, as I warned, obj_maincontrol is no more! What's left of it is now obj_debugdisplay - no prizes for guessing what it does. CleanMem functions are now handled exclusively by obj_cleanmemcontrol and things like F2/F4/F9 events are in obj_inputs. The debug level selection keys remain in obj_debugdisplay as they are 'debug' functions.

I made some progress on hooking up the existing music into SuperSound. Loop points are a bitch and using the variables GMFMODSimple uses for loop points (percentage based on millisecond-length of file) doesn't cut it. I also suspect it's a bit iffy about *exactly* when to loop: it used to completely stall when referring to the end of a file, I got it working now but I swear the actual point of looping sounds different each time. And as to why I used separate global variables for each different music used when I could've just freed it and replaced the loaded file using the same variable, I have no idea, but that's another overhaul of sorts due along with getting Stage 2 done and stable for next release. I probably won't replace GMFMODSimple entirely until I figure out what's up with loop points (if anyone wants I can send the current test file for SuperSound loop points and you can help me out here), but with a bit of luck there'll be work towards complete eradication of it in favour of the free-for-commerical-use alternative.

Speaking of stage 2, the boss is nerfed. It was too damn hard. It might actually need nerfing still but bullet count should be better than what it was before (3/400 with each orb's last phase) and the orbs have less health.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well I just had to go the extra step didn't I.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7e8becwdq8tbfkb

The new sound engine in a test GMK/EXE, not only running the music and sound effects via SuperSound but also with GMFMODSimple using a different method from before if you so wish. As far as I can tell the two songs that need loop points work perfectly under both now (after a lot of fucking headaches) and loading sounds for 5 different ships using only 6 variables (instead of multiple variables for each ship).

One problem I noticed though: other than the volume handling being WAY different SuperSound also doesn't overlap the music that it plays, but GMFMODSimple does (and I've made use of it in quite a few spots around GMOSSE). I guess things are going to sound even more different compared to MK-VI which still used GMFMODSimple's internal filtering and only the one used explosion sound.

One thing I forgot to hook up was the explosion sounds and enemy effects, so the example here while having the enemy/explosion sounds included doesn't actually play them anywhere. You can however have a listen to the player ship sound effects and see how different (or how not-different thanks to the GM Sound Engine conversion attempt last year) they sound.
oki32

Post by oki32 »

Where I can get the engine for lite edition?
Okisoft is my company.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Unfortunately there isn't one.

The current code would need to have all externalisation removed, usage of image_blend removed and sound-related commands redone under Game Maker's (really bad) sound engine to fit the Lite requirements - and that's just the ones I can think of (though to be fair I think that is about bad as it gets). GMOSSE MK-VII has a few under the hood changes that should make this easier to do if you're willing to take a crack at it yourself, but if it's anywhere on my to-do list it's in the *very* long term if ever.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Ugggggghhhhhhhhhh........ long post ahead. Take a seat and a coffee if you care before you read.

It's come to my attention that GMOSSE is going to need a bit of a larger restructure than I thought. Here's my perception of what's transpired in the last fortnight:

1. My 'major game' project for one of my classes, Warbird:A13-02, was due. Lots of restructuring in that from the original shmup example I used as a base had to happen for that to work, and even then I did not get what I wanted out of it (but it looks like I may still be getting a high grade as a lot of work went into making the core compared to most of the class who had less of a clue than me). I did however see this as an interesting opportunity: for enemy placement and some convention designs I actually replicated some of GM's functions. Overall, it's functionality is approximately equal to that of GMOSSE MK-I.

2. As seen in the above posts and from several people in the last month GMOSSE has reached a level of complexity where, using a Lord of the Rings meme here, 'one does not simply look at a part of GMOSSE and fully understand how it works'. It's less of an idiot-friendly template for shmups than it was ever meant to be and that means a serious rethinking of some design choices, including:
- aversion to the GM Sound Engine
- externalisation of *sounds*, and classified the same as music
- usage of GM Pro functions, and externalisation outright and its ability to be removed easily if needed
- lots of objects, few scripts, and parent/child relationships out of convenience rather than necessity

3. In the amount of time spent on Warbird, I could've replicated and expanded more using GM in 1/10th of the time I needed to learn AS3 and develop it with Adobe Flash.

These thoughts did not happen in exactly chronological order but I more or less came up with some goals towards a solution to these issues: if GM is so much easier for me, why not remake the same game I did in flash, but in GM?

And so I did. In fact I went so far as to download Game Maker 8.0 Lite, 8.1 Lite, and the new Free Edition of Game Maker Studio 1.1 that Yoyogames now have in their 'Game Maker Family', and remake Warbird from scratch to exactly the level of functionality that I had with the original Flash program.

Of course, I had to conform to some pretty strict limitations to do this but I did pull it off successfully. 8.0 Lite with its image_angle being Pro-only required pre-baked sprites and usage of image_index instead to simulate usage of image_angle. 8.1 Lite handles image_angle just fine, so there's another source file. And the GM:S Free have stupid requirements about the exact amount of resources you can have, ie. 15 objects max, 20 scripts, 10 sounds, etc. And common to all of these - no externalisation AT ALL. So no external sound engine.

So I used GM's default sound engine. In the end it actually wasn't too bad: Flash is rather shit at default support for music/sounds anyway so it didn't take much to simulate how it behaved in GM which wasn't much better. Since I had recreated instance_create in Flash, used that for enemy creation and the switch-case-break statement format isn't much different I was able to literally copy/paste the code and have enemy placement working. vspeed/hspeed I replicated, and thus movement was the same. Bullet handling was more or less the same. Etc. Most importantly having the sounds internally was really convenient and worked fine, which I can't say the same for how sounds are currently handled externally in GMOSSE.

So I came to the conclusion that in order to make the sound/music handling more friendly in GMOSSE I'm going to have to make sounds internalised (or at least their handles: you can still load WAVs externally with the GM Sound Engine and configure settings like name, filters and volume in the IDE) and music externalised, separating the two from eachother, increasing the GMK's filesize and making it less of a headache to deal with in the long run despite now using two sound engines. For the record, Xeno Fighters R does this already.

That leaves the actual code. Note I took absolutely no code from GMOSSE itself in making Warbird: any similarities is from me remembering how I did it off the top of my head. I did this to avoid inheriting any prior issues/coding format differences. To accomodate the extreme object limit (not the in-game instance count, the actual amount of objects allowed by the IDE) I made these changes to the structure I used from GMOSSE:
- took out parent/child relationship between obj_player and specific player ship
- obj_playerhitbox renamed to obj_hitbox, actually I don't think this got changed much at all but the code is leaner
- obj_bullettarget renamed to obj_bullet and made caller objects place a sprite on it, so only one actual bullet object that has its step behaviour changed based on what sprite it is given
- all controller objects bunched up into one obj_controller, including reading inputs via scr_input, drawing the HUD, playing music, handling the score chain/timing, lives/respawning of the player and moving between rooms. This is how I was taught to do things back in middle school and while I think I layed out the code okay I actually don't like this decision much at all so this ISN'T going in.
- obj_star and obj_explosion merged into obj_blank, much like how I did obj_bullet (see above).
- removed all folders within the IDE
- removed all unused sound content (I originally had all 5 bullet sprites/sounds etc in but had to remove them)
- scr_init removed (didn't really do much in Warbird anyway since there's no externalisation)
- scr_createbullet and scr_createexp added (the first being a new one-liner script for creating bullets using the new bullet type)

Warbird already has a thread here in Development from when I was still making the original flash version, but I'll be editing this soon (within the next day) to serve as a Dev thread much like this one, except I won't be expanding on it, and it'll be one download with many subfolders for each port (Flash, GM8, GM8.1 and GMS).
To put it simply, it'll be the absolute, bare-knuckles, no fancy features, basic shmup template that any developer learning AS3/GML can access. People that find GMOSSE too complex to look at now can look at Warbird first and use that as a stepping stone for gradually adding whatever particular additional functions GMOSSE has.

After that's sorted, I'll either go and release GMOSSE MK-VII as-is for people to trial the new changes, or go ahead and restructure stuff like I did in Warbird, including what I hope to fuck will be the last time I have to reorganise sound/music handling, bullet handling and other conventions as I see fit. It's been exactly 9 months and 10 days since the last release and I think it's long enough for something that was meant to have gradual updates - this does mean however that Stage 2 won't be finished for a while yet.

One other thing: I plan to remove the Space Invader. It's a nice joke ship but it's always been unpar to the other ships for usability and technically is a breach of copyright anyway (all this worrying about Gleylancer music and I forgot to credit Taito, what a dumbass). It'll get a replacement of course - I'm tossing up between the Warbird ship with a Fire Shark-like shooting style and a cameo from my last game project (see display pic).
echo

Post by echo »

hi, I'm new to game maker and I'm trying to learn to how to develop a shmup game with it. Its nice to see someone has provided an open source engine but im having a little trouble adapting to it. I hope you dont mind me pestering you with many noob questions as I'm still unfamiliar with the engine.

For starters, may I know how do I define the keyboard controls? I'm trying to learn how to create it from controls, menu then the level stage itself but I'm not sure how to I set them. I tried to look it up but I have only found the joystick control...
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

No worries echo! The biggest issue with GMOSSE right now probably is the lack of instructions, after all. Ask away.

I'll check for certainty off the top of my head later today but from memory there should be two remap controller objects, located in Objects > Controllers > CORE. One does the rebinding for the joystick controls and the other keyboard, and scr_inputs would be a good place to start. I'll elaborate more soon though! :)

EDIT: I checked MK-VI, it looks like that was a release before I added rebindable keys! I'll explain how the system works:

All inputs that are relevant are assigned to variables. So for an object to react to pressing the Up key for example you'd check global.jup. If it's 1, it'll do it, and if it's 0 it won't.

The main file that handles reading the keyboard/joystick is scr_inputs which is in Scripts > CORE > Nimitz > scr_input. After the variables are initialised in obj_maincontrol's Game Start event (starting from MK-VII it'll be in scr_init) that script sets them to 0 every frame and then assigns them to 1 depending on what button or joystick function is pressed. So the system for joystick inputs and keyboard inputs is the same, with the difference being just a few more if statements for the joystick-specific stuff.

In MK-VI the actual keyboard buttons to check are hardcoded from scr_inputs (so Up is vk_up, letters are slightly different so Z would be ord("Z")), so the code looks more or less like this:

Code: Select all

if (keyboard_check(ord("Z")) then global.button1 = 1;
Note that I don't have to add = 1 to the keyboard_check statement since it's implied - if I want to do the reverse I'd add a ! to the beginning.
Starting from NEXT release (where my memory lapsed as to how long it's been in) scr_inputs uses variables where ord("Z") would be which is read from the configuration file and binded via separate objects activated in the Options Menu - one object for keyboard inputs and one object for joystick inputs.

If you'd like I could upload a video of this in action, since I sorely need to do a MK-VII update vid anyway and I can actually show off what cool features the new release will have.

EDIT2: Actually I just remembered I uploaded this a while ago: http://www.mediafire.com/?4d2e1bi3uaoxewj

It's basically GMOSSE's input system as a standalone. Should be easier to look at if GMOSSE's own source file is a bit scary to look at.

My recent side-project Warbird uses the scr_input system as well albeit without the customisable options. It has it's own thread and compared to GMOSSE it's quite stripped down but for absolute GML basics it should be a lot more friendlier for you to look at assuming you're not already quite GML-literate, at least until GMOSSE undergoes a serious overhaul.
echo

Post by echo »

Thanks for answering! yeah, I have overlooked the script folder because i never used it before in tutorials. I'll study it again for few days and hope you dont mind if I might keep firing questions :p
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Sure! Ask away!

In other news I'm not liking how stuff sounds under the GM Sound Engine, so back to the drawing board with that plan. Invader's still getting scrapped though. If anyone has a neat ship design that's different from what's currently available in GMOSSE make a suggestion here. :)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Okay, I just read over what I had planned in the last post above and couldn't make head-to-toe of it.
New plan, new goal: make this next release more simple.

Here's my main points below, hopefully this will be more readable:

For GMOSSE I don't think I'll bring in the more radical changes.

I did *start* changing the bullets to a single one but I think in the long run that'll just get annoying and it'd be more friendly to just have separate bullets with one parent object (what GMOSSE already does). That'll get unchanged.
Keep it simple.

For the sounds, internalisation isn't going to happen.

I imported them into the IDE to see what the filesize is like and I'm not happy with it. I'm also not happy with some of the minor audible quirks in the system but considering I've already made changes to the explosions it's not going to make that much of a difference.

Sounds WILL be separated from music.

Eventually there will be two controllers: obj_ctrl_snd (sounds) and obj_ctrl_music (music). obj_ctrl_snd natually will use GM's sound engine to load and handle the sounds, while obj_ctrl_music will call the various music loading scripts I've made and GMFMODSimple-specific functions.
This will make it easier to look at the code for sounds and music-specific stuff.

That radical sound engine altering to support different engines? Screw that.

SuperSound crashes as soon as you hit the restart button and while putting in generic loading scripts is possible and while I've pulled it off in a separate GMK it's going to get confusing real quick.
Again, keep it simple.

Simplify, simplify, simplify.
If I can get this done anytime soon I'll release MK-VII with Stage 2 as-is (incomplete). It's been far too long and my stretches of inactivity is going to make the next release take forever if I don't push for it soon.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Oh, cool! :D

Shows I really should've come up with a better name for this thing, huh. :P
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

FYI, your download link in the first post is no longer working.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Shit. Thanks for letting me know. Works for me when I'm logged in but not when I'm logged out - something about it apparently corrupted or some bullshit.

I've put a ticket in to Mediafire and hopefully they'll fix it since it won't let me do anything about it here, unless it really is corrupted (which I find hard to believe) in which case I'll have to start doing filehosting somewhere else. It does however still give statistics: 408 downloads since the 1st of January. Quite a lot! :D

EDIT: Reupped at Google Drive. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7d0VBu ... ZjeHc/edit

With this you can actually see exactly what's in the ZIP before you download which is handy. Also, 5 GB free storage from Google of all sites so downtime/issues should be zilch.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Fixed the MediaFire link. Would you believe MediaFire's Customer Support is actually competent AND quick to respond?

Kept the Google Drive link though of course as a mirror. Future releases will be hosted simultaneously over to that and any existing stuff I've got will be reupped over there as well in case MediaFire ever gets shut down (I once figured it'd be deadmeat after MegaUpload but apparently not).

As for actual progress, there's been little. Should start kicking up within the next week though: my last official day of school classes ended today. The rest of the enemy shot sounds have been ported over to the GM Sound Engine and loaded on Game Start. I think I forgot to mention that the Stage 2 boss got tweaked ages ago but it's still not good enough so I'm nerfing it more.

Also, completely broke input replays after trying to figure out what was wrong with Giest118's setup and coming up with an example that apparently worked fine. Nothing, not even Xonochrome, consistently plays well. I give up on input replays in GM frankly.
railslave

Post by railslave »

NICE, enjoyed that, very informative as well. Very techy.
I like the filter (or whatever it was on the graphics), you nailed that neogeo kind of look.
I dont think the Sprites (placeholders) do it justice though. Possibly cause i lasted about 30 seconds and didnt get to the awesome bits, maybe ease newer people in a bit more.
"When I get my hands on some money
I'll kiss it's green skin
And I'll ask it's dirty face
"Where the hell have you been?" - Michael Gira (Swans)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

It's certainly not the easiest first stage ever, is it?

Fortunately the enemy sprites have been replaced (Kaiser redrew a whole lot of them) and some segments of the first stage have been nerfed. Not sure what you mean about the filter but GMOSSE has options for fake scanlines etc, I guess that's it?

Progress is certainly not dead on this but it isn't happening directly in GMOSSE itself either. I've been helping Kaiser out with backend stuff for his game, Generation '85, which in turn was based on Warbird, my own flash school project-turn-barebones template, and because the stuff I've put in is essentially GMOSSE done better there's a lot of internal restructuring happening now. For instance, I have a completely revamped Ship Selection menu that looks no different from how it is now but a newcomer opening the GMK can easily edit what it shows via Scripts > Player > scr_getshipinfo, and it's all in one easy-to-look-at object rather than being in two as it is right now.
railslave

Post by railslave »

for a more modern hero you could have a flying school girl :P alot of them about these days . Maybe its the color pallete then , just very neo geo/snk.
Very nice though, i been looking for algorithms for ages, never thought to check this forum ...will learn alot from your game/history lesson.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

LOL

I think I'll keep Touhou out of GMOSSE thanks very much (I've always been a crystal/mech guy anyway). :P

I'm not that good of an artist either: stuff like the rocks are generated using Universe Image Renderer, while most if not all of the fonts are either Emerald Master's works or edits of Windows default fonts (I'm a Lucida Sans Unicode fan). The actual stage (and music/voices/Busterhawk/some sfx) is based off Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer, and Swordfish was sprited by someone from another forum.
railslave

Post by railslave »

Love gley lancer :)
Im getting a pen and tab soon, im pretty good at "art" (pretty good grasp of lighting and stuff like that ) learning pixel stuff atm, id be happy to help if you give me an idea of what you want. Then see if you like it ?

just give me a project
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Thanks for the offer! I'll get MK-VII out of the way first, if there's something I need artwork for after that I'll let you know.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

The revamped Ship Selection menu is actually implemented now along with the new transition engine (one line with scr_trans passing arguments instead of four/five lines of code), a lot of core objects have been renamed, the sound engine is properly split between music (obj_ctrl_music) and sounds (obj_ctrl_snd) now....

Input replays more or less work now (I posted about it in the Input Replays in GM thread but thought to add it for the record here too).

The music controller has event_user functions that can be called by other controllers (obj_ctrl_st1, etc) to play generic tracks like the boss theme, stage clear and game over without having to actually have GMFMODSimple-specific code in the stage controllers. This means if I do end up switching sound DLL extensions it should be easier to modify as the code that needs to be changed as a result is in less places.

More importantly, there's been a significant rehandling of the initialisation process, and global.xview/global.yview no longer require that you specify global. at the beginning (but work with it anyway?). Once I port over the code from my sideproject GMK I've been using to do really radical stuff GMOSSE will be able to display perfectly fullscreen via VirtualBox. You'll also be able to modify the size of it in Windowed Mode via external config and enable "VirtualBox mode" that way, but note that currently the VirtualBox mode doesn't work Windowed because the amount of D3D emulation weirdness offset is not consistent except in Fullscreen which I've adjusted for using black magic. :P

Appearance-wise, not much has changed. Arxyne is a slightly different colour. Most stuff lately has been exclusively backend-related so I HOPE GMOSSE MK-VII's release (within the next month) will be a lot easier to look at.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Finally, progress on Stage 2! It's more or less shaping up to complete now.

It's a lot more manic than I expected it to be, although maybe part of that is because the bulk of the stage has been done in a single day and thus have huge parts that could be nerfed. :P

There is a midboss now, obj_midboss1, which for the moment uses a very small sprite upscaled and spits a ring of homing missiles at you (that's all it does), while other enemies appear from gaps in the walls and from above.

There is turrets on the walls, coloured in red, that shoot about four bullets in a row at your position after a bit. They're currently stuck when set to direction = 0 for some reason, I'll figure that out later.

The boss has had it's pattern behaviour redesigned yet again, and could probably still do with a bit of nerfing. There's also a slightly beefed up version of obj_en1 that features in spazzing out bullets and blocking exits to the tight corridors you end up in.

Finally, an extra life can be picked up if you have good enough reflexes at a certain part of the stage...

Lots to show but I'll get a video of it in action as a MK-VII preview once I fix things up a bit more.

Also, I finally nerfed the roar from too many bullet sounds playing at once using what Alluro did in his spread shot script. It makes obj_boss1 sound really weird and retarded for now but that boss has needed rework to be easier (on difficulty and on bullet count) anyway.

I also got an idea for a Space Invader replacement: the Warbird, with thrust that does damage to enemies, wider dual-firing peashooter (probably like Invader's but slightly different) and these spastic laser things that I did for a guy on Fusion Fangaming who wanted something similar to a Touhou character's Fantasy Orb doohickey thing (my version is a slightly rough cool laser, I'll make it red and fire from Warbird's side-cannons). Any objections, say so now, because it'll be the last thing I do before MK-VII goes public within the next month.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Progress video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvAgb7MpkWI

Sorry, it's not one of Stage 2, but rather a considerable rehandling of Stage 1 and a bit of a show of what's to come. Main features shown:
- boss warning sequence
- new debug display
- sounds don't roar over eachother now
- sounds are played via GM Sound Engine instead of GMFMODSimple (music still uses the latter)
- boss sprite is altered and more animated
- boss bullet patterns are significantly altered, WIP
- boss timeouts implemented (stage 1 boss doesn't do anything about it, Stage 2 midboss does)
- not visible via video, but boss healthbar is created by the boss and timeout hp etc passed to it via a script instead of being a permenant object
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

I would so kill you if you spoiled stage 2! It's too awesome to be spoiled :P

Also woot 10k post in development subforum.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Nice raizing style explosions. :)
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Yeah, those spinny explosions are so very pretty. :shock:
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Cheers guys! I can't take the credit though - you can thank S20-TBL for those explosion algorithms and sprite. He's probably the biggest contributor to GMOSSE considering it was his suggestion that got me to start this in the first place, and the wackier bullet scripts (ie. canister bombs) are all his doing too.

He had several scripts, which are now merged into one script (scr_s20_explosion) with several arguments on its use....although I confess I didn't do much to alter what he put in for defaults, other than toning down the rate the script was called in some cases; which sent the object count to something ridiculous and therefore caused more slowdown than most patterns in Mushihimesama Futari. Seeing the boss call it every frame was like watching a supernova, I kid you not.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

For the explosions, can I recommend adding in a "blank" frame every other frame? Or maybe it already does and youtube just isn't showing me 60fps. Regardless, they do look great!
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

It's been awhile since I frame stepped through a Yagawa game, but I thought he skipped rendering lower priority sprites like explosions when the object count was very high and overall framerate started dropping. Or are you saying to give more of a transparency effect?