G.M.O.S.S.E - MK-IX (30/11/16) GM:Studio at last!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: G.M.O.S.S.E - MK-VI (1/01/2012) Input Replays, new fonts etc

Post by BPzeBanshee »

MK-VI is the latest version which can be found in the first post under the big bold letters. If you have any other queries let me know! :D
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Not dead! Honest!

I wasn't happy with how stage 2 looked program-wise, so I changed it from being a 320x320 room with the illusion of scrolling by changing background speeds into an actual 320xIdontreallyknowyetbutitsbig room. Considering I'd anticipated I'd have to do this eventually most of the graphical stuff worked fine and collision handling etc isn't any different. Had to fix up a few issues with obj_lifecontroller and add some more lines of code for the obj_screencontrol to handle y scrolling. Also had to add a few lines of code for obj_player itself otherwise it didn't stay 'still' - then it was shaky and vibrating all the time whenever the stage scrolled at a decimal rate so I had to re-look and fix that stuff. It's looking good now though the player still shakes a little bit when the rate of scrolling changes speed - should be fixable with another floor() tag I think. Pretty sure it's the same issue Alluro has with Xeno Fighters R actually - 4B's intro part shows some very shaky background tiles.

Haven't figured out how to deactivate all instances outside the view and stuff but I know a few programs that do it and I'll study them when I feel like it. When I do that, that'll significantly reduce the object count (currently 400+ active, all but 12 are walls and I've only started actually forming the stage). Once the wall obstacle stuff is properly done I'll work on enemies, mainly the ones that require placement such as wall turrets and such.

I also added a couple of more wall types but I'm not sure if I want to keep them or go with a large-sized wall that generally looks better and less tiled like the ones in Gleylancer's stage 4. Having darker-coloured walls of the same sprite look a bit el cheapo.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Preliminary highscores via external file implemented. I don't quite like the idea of forcing the developer to rely on one particular method of highscore saving especially as encryption protection isn't all that trivial (and any encryption implemented in GMOSSE would be a little silly until someone altered it for their closed-source project anyway) so the framework is there for saving to either a text file or Game Maker's default method. I can't get it to work for the default method but the actual ship sprite will display where you have your highscore saved via external file, so if you used Xonochrome to get 3mil+ on Stage 1 it'll show as much. However I thought it'd be a bright idea to make my own arrays before realising that overwriting and downstepping existing highscores on the table would be a bitch and would be far easier to do with a ds_list or something, so it's not *quite* done yet.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Highscores are properly implemented now.

I didn't end up using ds_lists. Too much of a pain to rework the existing code which I finally managed to get working with sorting the arrays like how GM's default highscore system does. Speaking of which, you can choose to save to GM's registry for the game or you can save to an external file (which isn't currently encrypted, but this can be solved with something like Ultracrypt.dll though I'm still looking at options). If you save to the registry though it won't display the ships as sprites but instead as additional info to the Name info - this is due to the registry being a hardcoded two-dimensional array. Here's how it looks using scores formatted as GM registry-friendly:

It's all somewhat-nicely bundled in three scripts, scr_loadscores, scr_setscores and scr_savestores. The second one has three conditions, 0, 1 and 2. 0 will sort the highscore system and put your three-letter name (as defined by obj_gameover) and score into it (this is called in GMOSSE after you enter the third letter when asked to put in a name, also by obj_gameover). 1 will reset the highscores with the ship info as added text, while 2 will reset the highscores without the ship info as text but as array values so they display as sprites.

I think everyone here that uses GM already has their own method of doing this with information more specific to their games so it probably isn't much use, but for GMOSSE itself this was due for a long time - and I still need a friendly encryption method that works too.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

I see GameMaker has an html5 version. Would GMOSSE work with that?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Not at the moment unfortunately. Between me and Rozyrg we couldn't figure out how to get it to work without it crashing on startup. I think HTML5's performance is frankly worse in some regards than even my legacy PC too.

Furthermore, I got hold of the public GM:Studio Beta which is of the same codebase (ie. GML functionality is the same as how it is in HTML5: completely broken). Most important externalisation commands which GMOSSE uses aren't supported. I'm looking into it though, and later on down the track when GM:HTML5/GMS itself is more stable I hope to make GMOSSE properly compatible.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Fair enough.
'Been eyeing this for awhile. Just was never sure what update would be a good time to jump in on this stuff and try to learn.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Yeah, those issues aside even, I'm pretty much convinced GMHTML5 just doesn't cut it for fast action games as it is right now. :( I kinda don't even want to know how slow and awful GMOSSE might run in-browser even if we fully puzzled out the problem...
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Rozyrg wrote:Yeah, those issues aside even, I'm pretty much convinced GMHTML5 just doesn't cut it for fast action games as it is right now. :( I kinda don't even want to know how slow and awful GMOSSE might run in-browser even if we fully puzzled out the problem...
I imagine it'll be like Atom netbook performance - FPS counter all over the place especially when using scrolling text (WTFLOLBBQ). I'd like to think Studio would be better.....but Yoyo can't even get the basics working for that one so odds are GM 8.0 may be the last good version to exist. :P
DJ Incompetent wrote:Fair enough.
'Been eyeing this for awhile. Just was never sure what update would be a good time to jump in on this stuff and try to learn.
I'll be honest - it's probably a bit more of a controlled mess in terms of commenting compared to its real early releases and is still due for some radical core changes - namely the removal of GMFMODSimple and all it entails, because the sound filtering doesn't like the game when its paused (pause anywhere in MK-VI and leave it for a while, come back, unpause and prepare for earrape when something starts shooting). It's not like I'll be changing the style much any time soon though so if you started a project now based on the current release you could by all means easily adjust if a new release *that adds something worthwhile to you* comes along. My goal for MK-VII is to finalise the highscores, get stage 2 done and replace GMFMODSimple with something of similar functionality. Plus I'm always using the same version of Game Maker by default so the GML code isn't changing either.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Sound filtering is no more! Eventually neither will GMFMODSimple if I can figure out how to replace the functionality completely.

By the way, that conversion to a multiple-format sound engine I tried earlier? Knew keeping the source for that was good for something. The sounds were pretty terrible without filtering so I replaced them with the sounds I'd made for the old conversion project and made a couple of new explosion sounds based on the one sound I used. Still not exactly the best but it's a lot better than ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

If anyone has awesome explosion sounds that aren't stolen from other games and would be good for GMOSSE to use, please let me know!

Also changed the bullet colours. They're all a consistent colour - red, or somewhere near there for distinction. The red circle one that's used by the bomb carrier and the boss' canister attacks has been redrawn as well.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Spotted this today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COrDRd7uqNU

I like the gesture and the guy did a great job pointing out where he got the material from, however it brings up a point that Kaiser made me aware of some time ago which I addressed but have yet to have fixed: the music in GMOSSE comes from Advanced Busterhawk Gleylancer as does the style but proper credit is not given due. So to make it clear: the music in GMOSSE is not mine, I never had anything to do with composing it, and I'll put in something similar to Alluro's yellow text at beginning of stage from Xeno Fighters for GMOSSE MK-VII to make sure no one gets confused again.

The guy mentions the makers as "G.M.O.S.S.E Team" though which I thought was actually a stroke of genius - I do need to clarify who this belongs to as well as what the hell this thing actually is (I started it but others have contributed: essentially 'G.M.O.S.S.E Team' can be considered anyone and everyone who's ever helped this project especially S20, Alluro and Rozyrg).

Also, anyone familiar with ring-^27? Well I'm not sure if I actually want to make it an in-game function (probably not good for legacy PC performance) but I managed to make something similar to ring-^27's dynamic of bullets changing colours when they're on a direct collision course with the player. I'm an idiot when it comes to making use of collision_rectangle though so I used collision_line and used obj_player itself rather than obj_playerhitbox.
pieterator

Post by pieterator »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Also had to add a few lines of code for obj_player itself otherwise it didn't stay 'still' - then it was shaky and vibrating all the time whenever the stage scrolled at a decimal rate so I had to re-look and fix that stuff. It's looking good now though the player still shakes a little bit when the rate of scrolling changes speed - should be fixable with another floor() tag I think. Pretty sure it's the same issue Alluro has with Xeno Fighters R actually - 4B's intro part shows some very shaky background tiles.
I'm not sure if you've fixed this yet, but I'm going to give my two cents as I had the exact same problem. What is happening is that the decimal values of your obj_screencontroller and your ship's y coordinate is out of sync, so the following happens:

floor(obj_screencontroller.y) = floor(10.75) = 10
floor(ship.y) = floor(10.5) = 10
Say the stage and ship's movement speed is 0.25 pixels per frame. In the next frame the values would be:
floor(obj_screencontroller.y) = floor(11) = 11
floor(ship.y) = floor(10.75) = 10

In other words, the stage moves up, but your ship stays put. What needs to happen is that you have to sync up the y coordinate of you obj_screencontroller with your ship's y coordinate by making their decimal values the same. Something like:

Code: Select all

ship_y = (ship_y div 1) + (obj_screencontroller mod 1)
This syncing only needs to happen when something changes speed. It is also worth noting that the best place to perform the floor() calculation is in the Draw event, so that all other movement manipulations are allowed to run their course.
BPzeBanshee wrote:Haven't figured out how to deactivate all instances outside the view and stuff but I know a few programs that do it and I'll study them when I feel like it.
Just deactivate all instances, and then reactivate them as they enter the screen.
In the creation code of your room add the following code:

instance_deactivate_object(base_enemy);
And in the step event of your obj_screencontroller something like this (assuming your screen resolution is 320,200):

instance_activate_region(0, obj_screencontroller.y,320,200,true);
So as the obj_screencontroller move up, it activates the objects it comes into contact with. You can of course make this wider or higher as you require.

Hope some of this helped :D
More of my art available at DeviantART.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

That bit with the divs and the mods may very well fix the issue I had with the changing of speeds, thanks a ton for that pieterator! I knew it was down to a thing with the decimal points and such but wasn't sure how to fix that without screwing up what I had. The problem I'm having now is trying to make a nice and compact way to do the same with every other player-related object without having to copypasta 9001 lines of code - I think the last time I touched GMOSSE's GMK the attempt I had had actually broken it completely. :lol:

I did actually manage to get deactivation of instances working after the post doing pretty much what you said (I think I may have even looked at Aero Flux itself to see how it pulled it off! :D). I think I did the whole view though because of spawning in an area right where the walls are so I'll look into optimising it a bit better like you have. :mrgreen:

EDIT: Things are a bit better now. There's a single jump movement that seems to happen when I hit a certain speed but nothing as noticeable as it used to be - I actually think it might be the screen controller itself. I moved everything from the stage controller to the screen controller like a smart guy and figured out how to get all the objects I want to scroll going without writing up yet another 9000 lines of code. Only problem now is that for some reason when I want to slow down it's not really doing it. You'd think that if the scrolling speed was set to 0 when the global.yview was less than 1 than as soon as it hit 0 it'd just stop, but no everything goes into the negatives and the player collides with the wall at the end and dies. :lol:

I also tried mucking around with what I had for the activation of objects but it did weird things when I set the function in the Step event to do anything less than the entire view so I'll just leave it as it is. Also, the bullet prediction is in proper and when I get around to it I'm testing all this on the legacy PC to see how much it hates image_blend and 200 objects on the screen at once. Probably will end up cutting some crap out. :P
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Music modding support is in along with appropriate song information. In addition the debug interface is revamped and the score/chain display is merged and minimalised. Furthermore, I deliberately used precisely the same INI format that Alluro uses for Xeno Fighters so that anyone who wants to customise their music can do so with minimal effort. Adding a popup window for selecting what ini file to use should be straightforward in theory but I'm not sure if the game will crash when using absolute addresses or not.

The internal stuff I'm still finalising as I've made everything use scripts for this and adding a hardcoded fallback for if the music ini file doesn't exist or doesn't have the properly-written info may not be as compact and easy as I'd like. I've also had to change the way the music is loaded to streamline it better which initially resulted in bugs but after moving the loading of some files stuff mostly works fine (and now loadtimes between the main menu and ship selection screen have been decreased).

I have started to notice more frequently that error where after a game is played and you go into the ship selection screen no music plays and no voice files are loaded (which in turn results in a fatal error before the music changes to the boss theme in Stage 1). Still haven't found the cause of this but I've added a few measures in the obj_maincontrol so that if GMFMODSimple gets an error of sorts a popup window detailing the error code should appear on the screen. This is called at the end of each step as well as Room Start and Room End so hopefully if the error occurs it should help me trace down the root cause. Does anyone else have this issue?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well going from the last post those measures didn't really work. I've found the error happened once and nothing popped up for me which sucks. Oh well.

More importantly though, customisable keyboard controls AND joystick buttons via a friendly method are now implemented. This renders Nimitz's original joystick button menu redundant and also allows for anyone who has a german keyboard/brazillian keyboard to reconfigure GMOSSE's keyboard controls to use things other than Z/X/SHIFT.

Finally, I've attempted to do multidirectional view altering like Xeno Fighters R's stage 5B and also Hellsinker's segment 5. It's not going well unfortunately. When I actually can get just the player to follow it's very jaggy when doing diagonals, and using that method I have to not do the same for any of the weaponry (forced direction/speed change results in the weapons not working how they should). Damn annoying. Guess that's one edge Alluro's work will still have over GMOSSE.

One other thing: while experimenting with the views I *finally* fixed the offset of enemy placement (not to be confused with the view displacement that occurs when combatting the self-scaling stuff with dimension changes) for Stage 1 so running it in TATE mode is now completely parallel to running it normally. You place an object at (160,120) and it will always spawn in the center of the room no matter what angle you're at. Sounds kind of silly but then so is keyboard config considering it was a lot easier than I thought it'd be.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

http://www.mediafire.com/?4d2e1bi3uaoxewj

No, it's not GMOSSE, but a demo and source for customisable controls via keyboard/joystick. I actually cleaned up a few things with GMOSSE itself doing this though so expect the scr_input and controllers to be commented in a similar fashion next release (and let me know if I forgot to do so).
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Three bits of big news for me and also for GMOSSE!

First off, I'm announcing officially in case it hasn't been made plain obvious yet that I'm working on an arrange mode of sorts for Aero Flux. At the moment it's looking like it'll be a separate EXE but some of the functions I've implemented and helped Pieterator implement will of course be shared. It's going by the title of 'Aero Flux [Radical Proposal]' and will take a step away from the bullet hell design that Pieterator has in favour of manic manipulation that will be very much like Raiden Fighters. If you're familiar with that game and all it entails it'll give you a bit of an idea of what I plan to implement. I'd show a screenshot but nothing gameplay-wise has changed much yet and I've been working a bit towards what the second big thing I've got to announce is.

Which leads to the second thing....
The TATE distortion bug is finally squashed!

Yes, you read correctly. Take a look at this composite of formerly rotated screenshots to compare:

The fix was inadvertantly discovered by Pieterator while implementing his own form of TATE into Aero Flux, which by design not only solves the distortion but also the weirdness of screenshots - albeit at a cost of not being able to rotate properly on-the-fly (starting from MK-VII GMOSSE will require you to restart to rotate the game screen). The trick is as follows:

// call in init room's Room Creation event
if global.tate = 1 || global.tate = 3
    	{
	// offset will depend on your screen res, in GMOSSE it's 40, in Aero Flux 61 (might be 60)
	global.x_offset = -40;
	global.y_offset = 40;
    	room_set_view(the room you want rotated,0,true,global.x_offset,global.y_offset,320,240,0,0,320,240,-1,-1,0,0,noone);
	// /\ repeat above for every room you want rotated
	}
Of course where there's 320/240 (GMOSSE's resolution) you'd have your own vertically-oriented game there, and the x position can be set to wherever you need it if your game is like Aero Flux and requires it be at the center of the room to show the in-game screen instead of the offset variable (although that assumes you have something like Aero Flux's stage_obj that sets the existing view to its position). Pieterator has used this same method to make the game screen not show the portrait borders, and will polish the positions of assets to accomodate this by next release. In the meantime I've already done it for Radical Proposal and you can see current WIP images of this in action here:
ImageImageImage

Yes, that is native res screenshots. When I'm done Aero Flux [Radical Proposal] will retain this res and appear accurate just like GMOSSE does now regardless of screen resolution. There's still bugs with Aero Flux due to offset issues, but GMOSSE now really does fufill the claim of having the best TATE possible in GM. If anyone needs help implementing this new TATE form into their game let me know and I'll see if I can help. XYX will probably need an update now to fix this too. :P

Now the third thing probably isn't that a big deal in contrast, but I believe I've finally managed to fix an issue that's been persistent since at least MK-IV/V of GMOSSE - that weird bug where after a game it does not play the Ship Select music, or voices, goes weird with just about everything including switching rooms with the pause controller and eventually 'Unexpected Error occurred when running the game'. Turns out said Ship Select music was only getting flushed out in one of the two sound unloading events (which should've been exactly the same). Naturally I made it into one event which finally gave a consistent way to replicate the error and thus figure out the problem. I've got this marked as fixed but if anyone else has the same issue again let me know ASAP.

So that's pretty much the gist of it. I added extends, limits to the amount of lives you can carry (you get 500,000 if you get more after having 3) and limits to the amount of bombs you can carry (same as former but 100,000), and sounds (from Gleylancer) for letting you know you have an extend. I also nerfed the jumping jack enemy (ring of red bullets when it lands) considerably. The list of changes in the Readme is getting really really long now (32 dot points and still going vs previous record of 16 in MK-V) so it'll definitely make up for the long time between release, but it's still not quite ready - I'm still figuring out bugs with Stage 2 and wobble-scrolling/view-related stuff and I'm not making a release until Stage 2 is done. Hopefully that'll be before my birthday on early July.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Awesome work, mate! :shock:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Agreed, very nice work, guys! 8)

I tried the TATE fix out with Last Chance and the results are truly beautiful. The problem now is getting it to put the window back in the right place when changing back... I'm such a klutz when it comes to views. :D
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Rozyrg wrote:Agreed, very nice work, guys! 8)

I tried the TATE fix out with Last Chance and the results are truly beautiful. The problem now is getting it to put the window back in the right place when changing back... I'm such a klutz when it comes to views. :D
Thanks for the support! :D

Feel free to PM me something if you have issues. I'd like to think after this and over a year's worth of toying with the views I'm somewhat of an expert on it. It's probably something real simple and I would send a hack build of XYX with similar changes but I don't have the current source and I'm not sure decompiling the latest demo and making the changes to that would be very helpful for you. :P
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

No need, turns out it pretty much just involved swapping the width/height values... derrrrp.:lol: I just got done adding it to my other games, too.

Glad y'all finally figured out a solution to this, the difference really is astounding.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Good to hear! Downloaded your updated XYX now and noticed you let the user change the rotation without actually resetting the rooms first, resulting in this when mucking around in the Options menu:

:P

In other news, I got a multidirectional scrolling system to work but at the cost of not being able to properly do wobble scrolling while I'm at it so it's more like Hellsinker's Stage 5 than it is Raiden Fighters (what I was aiming for).
Rozyrg

Post by Rozyrg »

Yeah, definitely didn't intend it to do that; but I left it in there anyway since it's fairly illustrative if you're not sure what's meant by "rotation." ;)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

:P

It doesn't happen in Flying V at least (and I swear you've made that game slightly less WTF since last release, I didn't get as much of a headache this time around and it felt a tiny bit easier :D).

Now it comes to a time where I must put this aside yet again for schoolwork requirements. I still want to get Stage 2 done and MK-VII pushed out before July but at least now all of the core issues I was having problems with are solved.

Still deciding on what the Stage 2 Boss will be like as Gleylancer's stage 4 boss (which I'm basing the rest of Stage 2 off) is pathetic. I'm thinking Radio Zonde.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well now that the distortion is fixed it has since become clear that the offset variables I used were wrong. If you had 40 (or -40 depending on how you did it) for your offsets take another look at your y offset variable - should be 39. The offsets now officially make no logical sense as I can't figure out a mathematical view of why the y offset would be exactly 1 pixel less than the x offset. I can't remember which ones I made negative and which were positive so I won't mention those but here's some statistics on window sizes and associated offsets:

Aero Flux Beta 1.5 dimensions
Width = 640
Height = 480

Aero Flux [Radical Proposal] (indev)
Width = 360
Height = 480
X offset = 60
Y offset = 59

GMOSSE MK-VII (indev)
Width = 240
Height = 320
X offset = 40
Y offset = 39

Also, after all that effort into making the score/life controller persistent objects it seems that it's not such a good idea after all. I'm now having issues with getting the player to spawn in the middle of the room without using room_width/2 (which is no good if you're going to have a room with the view moving in several directions). Fix for that would appear to be having the life controller manually placed in the room and from that setting its x/y values as an offset to the screen controller. I've tried just making it do that as-is in Room Start but that isn't working.
I'm also gonna move the offset variables from the current TATE script (which now does nothing but change the view angle and set the offsets anyway) into the one that sets the room views and if that causes issues then I'll have to make sense out of the negative/positive flipping I've been doing for the last year. Greeeaaaaaat. :|

In other news, Aero Flux's second/third player's bombs have been fixed but I can't figure out a fix for the third ship continuously shooting when holding down FIRE and using the bomb.
pieterator

Post by pieterator »

If just had a look through Aero Flux's code myself, and it is truly odd that I don't get the same continues bomb error that you do, because looking at the code I should be. In the second "Execute Code" icon, in the step even of "fighter", changing the code to the following should solve your problem.

if bomb_pressed && can_bomb && (bombs > 0) && !instance_exists(base_bomb){
    temp = instance_create(x,y,bomb_type);
    temp.owner = id;
    can_bomb = false;
    has_bombed_this_stage = true;
    has_bombed_this_game = true;
    bombs -= 1;
    invincible = true;
    bomb_pressed = false; //<=== ADD THIS LINE TO STOP CONTINUES BOMBING
}else{
    bomb_pressed = false;
}
The continues fire glitch comes from the fact that the fighter only stops firing when the appropriate key release event occurs. During the slash bomb, I deactivate all objects, including the fighters, so if you release fire during the bomb the fighter is unaware of this, and firing never stops until you press and release the fire button again. This actually happens when you pause the game as well. Hopefully this sheds some light on the matter, I'll look into a solution as well. Variables to look for are "continues_fire" and "fire_pressed".
More of my art available at DeviantART.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Ah, I see. I put something similar in the alarm code event in the bomb but this is better. I also used something similar to fix the normal shot problem as well.

The issue I'm having now is that the offsets I mentioned above only apply for one rotation (which if memory serves is 270 degrees), and while I've offset the variables for the other direction I'm noticing something similarly weird at 180 degrees - the icons in the character select menu have a pixel of background below them which suggests 1 pixel of offset not accounted for, but the portrait displays fine. Still trying to adjust this stuff properly in GMOSSE too but it's with the pause menu being weird at 180 degrees instead. I also have no clue how to modify any of your high score display code so they look pretty broken and barely fitting in the screen right now. :S

Looks like I might need to lay off working on both of these too considering schoolwork.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

GMOSSE is now looking perfect regardless of rotation with all offsets accounted for, and obj_maincontrol is less of a 'maincontrol' and more of a 'debugdisplay'. It's 'Game Start' event is now in a script which is called in rm_init's Room Creation event.

Also: http://i.imgur.com/zt0Qs.png
(on second though img tag is probably a bad idea for an image this size)

A friend managed to get at least this far running my game project on Ubuntu.
system specs wrote: Wine version 1.5

"radeon" driver
Radeon HD 3200 integrated
RS780 chipset

OpenGL vendor string: X.Org
OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.11
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

Performance is terrible as you can see but apparently it sounds fine and there's no offset issues even in Windowed mode (VirtualBox has cut off half of the top screen with Xeno Fighters in the past along with garbage and offset shit everywhere), so this is a good sign of things to come. Apparently the garbage might just be an ATI thing. It'd be nice if anyone else with Linux/Wine and an nVIDIA card could put it to the test. :D
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well I was playing some Hellsinker and decided to start working on Stage 2's boss before I did the rest of the stage. It was going to be an annoying midget boss ala Radio Zonde's stage 3 but it's turned out to be more like this thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auk8Lsa4 ... ure=relmfu

Except not as many annoying bloody phases (three phases for each orb and that's it), and orbs that are empty will spawn midgets which throw a wall block at you and then drop to the bottom of the screen.

The main object itself bounces off walls but no actual bullet patterns are implemented yet. I'll probably keep it relatively simple because I still want to have actual wall placement and enemies be part of the challenge of the boss phase.

Doesn't help that I've become sick with some kind of flu yet again and I've got several birthdays including my own and like three assignments I've been putting off because I have no idea how to progress on them.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

GMOSSE:
Bullet patterns for the Stage 2 boss are in. Probably still need to be adjusted though, the second segments for each of them are very bloody cruel and third segment will probably lag the legacy PC.
New enemies for Stage 2 have been made and coded in. Preliminary placement in Stage 2 around the place.
One enemy is like Raiden's popcorns - they fly down to around the middle/bottom of the screen, look at you for a few seconds, shoot a bit and then piss off.
One bounces off the walls - my god this was a pain to code in. I went through a lot of revisions to make it look right and it still could be better, but any issues with the bouncing parts should be not that noticable as it bounces off the walls *fast*.
One enemy is a hybrid between the bomb carriers of Stage 1 and the Platform. Four turrets that do something similar to the Platform except *fast*.
Fixed the behaviour of a particular bullet from how it was before so it can now go faster - if you shoot the bullet at slower speed than 5 it'll speed up to 5, and if you shoot it at higher speed it'll just maintain that speed. It's use in Stage 1 remains the same, while in Stage 2 it's used by the popcorn enemies, boss and turrets.
Put in a variable for stage ids to try and make things easier for stage handling. Not sure where I'm going with this though.

Overall I think you'll find that as the difficulty of GMOSSE increases it'll be more about *fast* bullets and less about bullet count.

Aero Flux Radical Proposal:
Fixed the last of the TATE issues with Aero Flux, I think. That weird one pixel offset when rotated upside down is sorted and the pause menu/Haruka's bomb draws correctly regardless of rotation but this still needs some testing.
Bullet colours in Aero Flux changed to reddish and hitboxes for bullets and player ship modified - the players are now symmetrical 4x4 boxes at exactly where the cockpit is, and given alternate colour schemes instead of the outline switch that was there before. Bullets are the size of the sprite except for the huge ones the Stage 2 boss emits which are the inner circles now.
The fonts aren't displaying using the font that the Beta 1.5 EXE is, presumably because I don't have the fonts he used so they're pretty bland until I get the font from Pieterator and make sprite-based versions of it. The normal font (Arial Bold, 12px) now has a sprite-based equivalent so no more cases of 4 draw_text per line.
I think I fixed the shadows but probably did something to them that broke them again, so I'll test them to be sure.

The gameplay is still nowhere near balanced enough to be any different from Aero Flux other than broken bullet speeds but the menu and stuff should work okay now. Fuck keeping the 640x480 mode though: Radical Proposal will use 360x480 at all times now. No way I'm reverting two months of learning Pieterator's coding methods and redoing everything to fit in the old method, it's bad for performance anyway.