MagicBroomShooting! v1.1 - (Online ScoreBoard Need Testers)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
gema9923

Re: BulletHell Shmup - "Magical Broom Shooting!"(Beta

Post by gema9923 »

PurpleWhiteOut wrote:I signed up mainly to comment on this game. :D

To start, I'm a huge fan of bullet hell games, so I greatly enjoyed this game!
[...]
Moderated mode was great fun, but I think you should make it easier for beginners, because as it is I think it is too hard for an "easy mode."
Miracle mode put me into some of the most extreme situations I have been in, and I have to practice a lot to get good at this mode.
Meteor mode was just too fast for me.

I really like the third shot mode, but the bomb (slow time), while useful, does not help in really tight situations because it does not destroy bullets.

I will have to keep a close eye on this game, don't give up on developing it, and good luck!
Thanks for your comment , I am happy about that you enjoy this game!

I agree that moderated mode should be more easier .. currently I am balancing the difficulty of all the modes. And the speed in meteor mode is set too high. (typo mistake in the source code)

About the s-type bomb ,currently it is too weak, the slow down effect will be replaced with some very long seeking laser, and the slow down effect will be given to a boss attack pattern (boss ability?)

Finally , please look forward to the future update :D Thank you playing my game
Last edited by gema9923 on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Have you been able to fix the integrated video problem? I really want to play this [it doesn't need to be an extremely high priority, I'm getting a new laptop sometime this month or next month, but then there are other people with cheap laptops and integrated video...]
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
gema9923

Post by gema9923 »

null1024 wrote:Have you been able to fix the integrated video problem? I really want to play this [it doesn't need to be an extremely high priority, I'm getting a new laptop sometime this month or next month, but then there are other people with cheap laptops and integrated video...]
Currently it is fixed, but since I have updated the game (and no old version source code backup), I cannot release a new version now.
gema9923

Re: MagicBroomShooting! v1.1 - (Online ScoreBoard Need Testers)

Post by gema9923 »

New version has been released.
The information is at the top post.
Thanks for testing :D
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Ok, I love this game [only problem was bullet visibility, the bullets need more of an outline, I kept confusing my own shots with enemy shots].

Also, internet ranking doesn't support Google Chrome [my default browser].
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
gema9923

Post by gema9923 »

null1024 wrote:Ok, I love this game [only problem was bullet visibility, the bullets need more of an outline, I kept confusing my own shots with enemy shots].

Also, internet ranking doesn't support Google Chrome [my default browser].
Try to decrease the bullet detail .. I think the bullets may overbright on some monitor..
The browser problem is now fixed , haven't tested with chrome before..my bad
Thanks for report :D
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Mmkay. [it worked]

PS:
I just noticed something: the mbs.exe process stayed open even after I closed the game.

PPS:
Online ranking still not working here.
Last edited by null1024 on Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I got asked to install some registry information when I launched, you really don't want to be doing that. And the process stays open for me too.

However the game itself is really good, and I love that speech bubble. Maybe a bit overboard with the meters in places and some of the lighter bullets can clash with the background.
gema9923

Post by gema9923 »

null1024 wrote:Mmkay. [it worked]

PS:
I just noticed something: the mbs.exe process stayed open even after I closed the game.

PPS:
Online ranking still not working here.
Can you tell me the problem of how it is not working?
Taylor wrote:I got asked to install some registry information when I launched, you really don't want to be doing that. And the process stays open for me too.

However the game itself is really good, and I love that speech bubble. Maybe a bit overboard with the meters in places and some of the lighter bullets can clash with the background.

Ya , I Better remove that..that actually do nothing at all..
About the process stay.. I accidently added a line of code to release some memory that is null..
Thanks for Reporting!
null1024

Post by null1024 »

gema9923 wrote: Can you tell me the problem of how it is not working?
It doesn't submit properly. It launches Chrome, and says the browser [which the ranking site identifies as Safari 372 or something] is not supported.
gema9923

Post by gema9923 »

null1024 wrote:
gema9923 wrote: Can you tell me the problem of how it is not working?
It doesn't submit properly. It launches Chrome, and says the browser [which the ranking site identifies as Safari 372 or something] is not supported.
I have fixed the problem. Please try to submit again.Thanks:)
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

I submitted my score. It is a fine game, needs some tuning.
Keep up good work.
ImageImage
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I finally managed to download the whole file and try out this game. It gets nasty on stage 3 :shock: How big is the hitbox? Sometimes I'm not sure how I stayed alive.

here is a mirror which might be a faster download (since my web host is now advertising "unlimited" bandwidth)
http://www.hyakushiki.net/shmup/mbs_v11.zip

Just to get an idea of the system requirements, I tried this game on a 1.3GHz laptop with Intel 830 graphics and got about 4fps. Then I tried it on a Pentium 3 600 with a GeForce MX 420 and got 10fps. Next I tried a Pentium 3 933 with a Radeon 9200 and got 40fps.
gema9923

Post by gema9923 »

ED-057 wrote:I finally managed to download the whole file and try out this game. It gets nasty on stage 3 :shock: How big is the hitbox? Sometimes I'm not sure how I stayed alive.

here is a mirror which might be a faster download (since my web host is now advertising "unlimited" bandwidth)
http://www.hyakushiki.net/shmup/mbs_v11.zip

Just to get an idea of the system requirements, I tried this game on a 1.3GHz laptop with Intel 830 graphics and got about 4fps. Then I tried it on a Pentium 3 600 with a GeForce MX 420 and got 10fps. Next I tried a Pentium 3 933 with a Radeon 9200 and got 40fps.

I have watched your replay :D You can see your hitbox by holding the slow button (Shift on Keyboard)

Ya this game system requirements is quite high , but most system should able to run this by set everything to low.
ShmupSamurai

Post by ShmupSamurai »

AUGH.....My eyes! They've been blinded by the shmuppy awesomeness! :shock: :o :mrgreen:
Use Shumpman's advice!

"USE A BOMB!"
PurpleWhiteOut

Post by PurpleWhiteOut »

Any progress on this wonderful game? I suggest also making a topic in Doujinstyle.com :D
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Judging by his website and this thread I can safely say he's been busy on other things. I'd like to see some more progress eventually, especially if its speed increases for older machines. The way it performs on some machines are to be desired.
Krushal

Re: MagicBroomShooting! v1.1 - (Online ScoreBoard Need Teste

Post by Krushal »

Sorry for the major necrobump, but I really wanted to post my thoughts on this awesome game. I know the dev has moved on to bigger things, but don't we all have games we'd love to see updated / completed? Gotta have dreams, right?

I'll list what I love: beautiful hi-res graphics, great music & sfx (although I believe they're free and used in other games; still nice choices), that badass dash mechanic, some crazy bullet patterns (those branching lasers!), thick-laser cancels, cute "speech" bubble. It even has all the features you'd want: scores for every mode, stage select, looping boss-rush, replays, config options, wide selection of difficulties. Even though there are only 3 out of the planned 6 stages and 1 of the 2 characters, this beta still has plenty of content and a run takes 18+ mins.

The dev obviously had grander ambitions with this project, but a polished version of the 3 stages as-is would make for a classic freeware game, that I'm sure would be recommended and played widely. Unfortunately, what's missing is a fair chunk of spritework: 5 (mid)bosses, at least 3 enemy types and the second player character (not necessary, imo: the three shot types are sufficient). The bugs mentioned before (registry edit @ launch and persistent process @ exit) would be easily fixed, but are almost game-breaking, in the sense that it's not a game to recommend to everyone and it's annoying to have to remember to end the process in task manager.

All in all, still a very fun game. Give it a try.
(If the OP link is down, find it on the "XP-era doujin games" thread.)
Free indie/doujin STGs: Download | List (incomplete)