Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
EddyMRA

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.10 Beta)

Post by EddyMRA »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjxrCmBtro8

The newest 100% completed stage in Xeno Fighters R is Stage 6-B. This is an expert route stage that takes place in a dimensional limbo, which the antagonist forces use to travel through space and time.

The boss of Dimensional Abyss is Dullahan, a mech responsible for guarding the anomaly from intruders. It moves quickly and has many different attacks, as well as numerous support fighters, like a typical Strikers 1945 boss.

This video shows off the upcoming Dynasty Warriors music pack I am putting together.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Alluro wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjxrCmBtro8

The newest 100% completed stage in Xeno Fighters R is Stage 6-B. This is an expert route stage that takes place in a dimensional limbo, which the antagonist forces use to travel through space and time.

The boss of Dimensional Abyss is Dullahan, a mech responsible for guarding the anomaly from intruders. It moves quickly and has many different attacks, as well as numerous support fighters, like a typical Strikers 1945 boss.

This video shows off the upcoming Dynasty Warriors music pack I am putting together.
Awesome!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

The branching path for Stage 7 has been scrapped. Asteroid Belt will become just plain Stage 7. The Stage progression chart has been updated to reflect this:
http://www.DrawAnywhere.com/live/56b142178c51b.jpg

6-A and 6-B now both lead to Stage 7, meaning neither of those stages have hidden objectives. Stage 7 itself has no hidden objective, except for the EX warp awarded for finding all stage Micluses. Upon beating Stage 7 the following conditions are calculated:
*If any B stage was reached, the player is sent to Stage 8 (Temporal Warp).
*If no B stage was reached (all A stages), the game ends with an Alpha Clear.

Here's the boss of Stage 7 (Asteroid Belt):
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x235 ... _giant.png

Nothing has been planned for this boss, except for the general idea of attacking the main bridge of the ship until it is destroyed, bringing down the entire ship. One other idea: This ship can be the new Dreadnought Echidna. It will launch a boss out of its docking bay (probably Gettok), and speed away.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Ship is looking good. =0

Personally it would make a good Dreadnought Echidna that was supposed to be sent to Earth until you (the player) popped up in the Asteroid belt and screwed up their plans. I think you can make it so that the player could only manage to damage a portion of the ship before it escapes and releases a sentry boss, but you can fight the whole enchilada later.
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

I'm thinking this gigantic ship full of guns on deck, spewing fire on the player ...
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

http://www.DrawAnywhere.com/live/56b142178c51b.jpg

Stage Progression chart updated again. EX stages now allow you to skip over the next stage number you would have been sent (in branching stages 3 through 6). For example:

1 -> 2 -> 3-B -> EX-1 -> 5-B-> EX-3 -> 7
1 -> 2 -> 3-A -> 4-B -> EX-2 -> 6-B -> EX-4 -> 7

This means you will no longer be able to play through all 6 EX stages in one sitting, significantly shortening the length of an arcade run that includes EX stages. Stage 7 has become a hub stage; 6-A, 6-B, EX-3, and EX-4 all lead to this stage now.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Hmm, interesting. That does make the game significantly more plausible to beat considering that cuts off a few stages from what would be an otherwise 15-stage game (assuming you're going for a stage 9 run). Also gives incentive for actually planning your "target of attack" in regards to stages, and since unlockable ships will be based on mission objectives or clearances of stages it adds replay value. Looks like another ingenious idea, Alluro.

As for the Dreadnought Echidna idea, I like that idea too. Possibly even have some kind of warp effect that happens during or after the undocking phase like how it entered in XFEX.

A few other questions for you though -
With Zapdos' "Explosion" thing, does the message that appears under it actually change at all based on how you die? It'd be a cool idea for suiciding into a large enemy, seeing it explode or lose a lot of health and have the message say "It's Super Effective!".
Also, I read one of your comments on YouTube saying that Stage 6-A might be replaced with some other plan instead of France. Will you still have that flying thing that warps into space as a boss or is that scrapped too?
Lastly, do you plan on uploading what the music config (or even that Dynasty Warriors pack you're working on) any time soon? I'd like to try and anticipate the tags that I'll have to add in v0.11 like last time.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

6A would be set in the time of the actual conflict instead of France, as a sort of "bad future" thing (and why the 8 ending is also canon; more on that later)

the explosion dialog: i am pretty sure that was just an anigif in post-processing in the video and won't show in the actual game.

also i kind of like the new psyvariar-type thing; people will actually have to choose their EX stages for optimal scoring
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I like the idea of this being the new style Echidna. Scheme I'm thinking of if we go this way...

St. 7: Echidna APPEARS to be the end boss. However, once you've scrapped most of its guns and have damaged the bridge some, it escapes, leaving you to play with Gettok. Escape scene: A warp rift appears in front of Echidna, and it rapidly shoots through, leaving an opalescent orb that quickly opens up once the rift closes, releasing Gettok. The orb was a dimensional cargo pod.

St. 8-2: The good news: You've caught up with Echidna, and it has nowhere to run. Bad news: Spriggan apparati have been attached to it, more than filling in for the wrecked-and-not-yet-repaired armaments. The st. 7 confrontation would be like a Shienryu battlecruiser, just vertical scrolling (plus wiggle) until you get to the bridge, but the st. 8 Spriggan/Echidna fight would be like the XFEX iteration, spiraling around it to get to the fixed-and-amplified bridge.

If not? Slowly scrolling upwards fight, like with the U.S.S. New Jersey in the first Sonic Wings (although more time required to GET to the bridge), with Gettok as a two-times mid-boss fight (one battle for each phase). Enemy name: Agate Sluagh.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Skyknight wrote:The st. 7 confrontation would be like a Shienryu battlecruiser, just vertical scrolling (plus wiggle) until you get to the bridge, but the st. 8 Spriggan/Echidna fight would be like the XFEX iteration, spiraling around it to get to the fixed-and-amplified bridge.
This. I like the idea of spiraling or at least scrolling in different directions around a battle cruiser, sounds very Vapor Trail-ish. Plus this opens up the option of multi-directional enemy waves and odd angle cannon fire during the fight, if you're into that sort of thing. :D

Also, I love the new streamlined stage progression. The original idea of having to fight through every stage should you be good enough to grab all the EX levels was kind of daunting, to be honest. :P

EDIT: The final boss in Flying Red Barrel actually sort of does what Skyknight described, right before the Golden Wings TLB. I vote for his idea.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Let's consider this official. The big flagship will be the new Echidna, and it will launch Gettok from its docking bay. Stage 7 itself will not be as long as the EX version.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

No intro moment for the new Stage 7 either I presume?

Oh, by the way, if you need nice graphics for planets and spacey stuff let me know, I just recovered a space-stuff rendering program from the depths of my old external hard drive which could come in handy for doing realistic background stuff like planets.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:No intro moment for the new Stage 7 either I presume?

Oh, by the way, if you need nice graphics for planets and spacey stuff let me know, I just recovered a space-stuff rendering program from the depths of my old external hard drive which could come in handy for doing realistic background stuff like planets.
The intro has already been done for the new Stage 7. I won't be the same without it.

I edited some Mars and Jupiter pics for use in this stage. I do, however, request a good reddish nebula space background for stage 8-1.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Alluro wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:No intro moment for the new Stage 7 either I presume?

The intro has already been done for the new Stage 7. I won't be the same without it.

I edited some Mars and Jupiter pics for use in this stage. I do, however, request a good reddish nebula space background for stage 8-1.
That I can do. I'll get on to it some time after school today. ;)
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

In music mod news, I'm charting out a Toaplan set. Thus far (and without reference to Out Zone, Fix Eight, Pyros, Snow Bros., Horror Story, Ghox, etc.; I intend to be THAT thorough in the end, although I'll be surprised if anything from Pyros or Snow Bros. gets in), I only have three definite charts--"King Bird" (Batsugun, theme of Madzilla) for the Silver Banshee fight, "A Poisonous Snake" (V-Five, st. 6) for st. 8-2, and "Like Unto Fire" (Vimana, st. 6) for the Spriggan-upgraded Dreadnought Echidna's bridge. Yes, I'm "promoting" some stage themes to boss themes, since Toaplan doesn't seem to have that many dedicated boss themes; "The Power of Darkness" (Vimana, st. 2) and "New Say" (Zero Wing, st. 6) are also under consideration for that. Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for such a set?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Stage F-A (Asteroid Belt) 100% complete video online:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tdLnwz84hM

This is formerly Stage 7 in Xeno Fighters EX. In Xeno Fighters R, this stage has become one of three final stages.

The XFR version of Asteroid Belt is mostly the same as the EX version, including the take-off sequence. Some new stuff in the R version:
*You get a foreshadowing of the all new Dreadnought Echidna, which launches stage boss Gettok from its docking bay.
*The Asteroid Belt portion is not as densely populated with asteroids. However, more enemies have been added in place.
*Gettok has some new attacks in its second phase. Overall, Gettok is now a final boss caliber encounter, with new attacks to match.
*New warp nebula effect during Gettok's fight, courtesy of BPZeBanshee.

What? Stage F-A? I have discussed with nZero and Twiddle how to further reduce the length of the arcade mode run and this new stage progression chart is the result:
http://www.drawanywhere.com/live/56b142178c51b.jpg

Stage 7 (Asteroid Belt) is now Stage F-A
Stage 8 (Temporal Warp/Dreadnought Echidna) is now Stage F-B
Stage 9 (BRES Colony) is now Stage F-C

Those three stages are now final stages that are selected based on criteria. Each Final stage will have its own ending.

Also, EX stages have been changed so that a player can progress from one EX stage to the next (EX-1 to EX-2 for example) by getting the EX Warp icon in the EX stage.
Last edited by EddyMRA on Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Alluro wrote:Stage F-A (Asteroid Belt) 100% complete video online
Hmm....the video is set to private. :( Nice to hear about the streamlining process going on for the stage progression, though.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

S20-TBL wrote:Hmm....the video is set to private.
I did one fix for the boss. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tdLnwz84hM
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Wow, I didn't think the nebula would fit in for anything but you've made excellent use of it Alluro. :D

Also, the further liquidation of stage progression is good too, now it's only 10 stages in one go if I read the sheet correctly assuming you're getting to Stage 9 via the EX stages otherwise it's in line with most arcade games such as Batrider.

Gettok's attacks are outright awesome too! Looking forward to trying out that stage.

What stages are left to finish now that are still WIP? I can only think of 5-A (for the boss), 5-B (for the boss) and 5-C. Either way you've certainly knocked down a lot of finished stages since the last release.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Awesome boss patterns! :shock: Not a big fan of those player death messages, it would be nice to have them optional.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

emphatic wrote:Awesome boss patterns! :shock: Not a big fan of those player death messages, it would be nice to have them optional.
That is only for Zapdos
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

the suspense is killing me for the next release, but i have an idea when it will be

september! because thats the last one I can remember! looking at my join date, I been watching this thing far longer than I realize o_o
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

FoxReeveheart wrote:the suspense is killing me for the next release, but i have an idea when it will be

september! because thats the last one I can remember! looking at my join date, I been watching this thing far longer than I realize o_o
0.10 was released on January 30, 2011.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Alluro wrote:
FoxReeveheart wrote:the suspense is killing me for the next release, but i have an idea when it will be

0.10 was released on January 30, 2011.
Furthermore, v0.6 Final (the release prior to v0.10) was done on Feburary 11, 2010. So releases lately are annual.

If you're going to try and predict releases by that standard, you're going to be waiting a while.
If you're going to ask Alluro when it's going to get a release, you're going to be waiting a while.

Either way, you're going to be waiting a while. Just wait till it's ready. :P
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

The video definitely helped cement part of my Toaplan mod plan--"Like Unto Fire" for the Gettok fight. Still need to find something else for Echidna itself...

Main mod scheme is now as follows:

St. 1: "Open Your Eyes" (Zero Wing, st. 1; Genesis version)
Techno-Ayako: "Motorouin" (Progear, bosses 1-4)

St. 2: "Exceed" (Thunder Force II, st. 2-1; X68000 version)
Silver Banshee: "King Bird" (Batsugun, Madzilla battle)

St. 3-A: "Being Rushed" (Shippuu Mahou Daisakusen, st. 5)
Jasper Gigas: Theme of Karbert Armor (provisional name: "Iron Tyrant") (19XX, boss 3)

St. 3-B: "Galvanic Gear" (MUSHA Aleste, st. 2)
Jade Hydra: Theme of Iron Maiden ("Chosen of Orn") (Thunder Force V, Wood boss)

St. 4-A/C: "Asteroid Circus" (Zed Blade, st. 4)
Obsidian Peryton: "Chop U!" (Armed Police Batrider, Sky and Airport bosses)

St. 4-B: "Chaos Breaker" (Blast Wind, st. 4)
Orion's Arrow: Theme of Cherub Purple ("Cry for the Night") (Thunder Force VI, Ever Blue boss)

St. 5-A: "Infinity Orbit" (Strikers 1945 II, Arizona)
Steel Aughisky: "Defensive Style" (Border Down, boss 3-B)

St. 5-B: "All or Nothing" (Raiden IV, st. 5 of XBox 360 version)
Citadel Geryon: "Dusky" (Last Resort, boss 4)

St. 5-C: "The Gate of Guardian" (METAL BLACK, boss 4)

St. 6-A: St. 12/18 theme ("Silent Fury") (Varth)
Bronze Harpy: "Chaos Oppression" (Mahou Daisakusen, boss 5)

St. 6-B: "Battle Logic" (Battle Bakraid, st. 7)
Dullahan: "Black Wind" (Strikers 1999, bosses 5-7)

St. F-A: "Unknown Threat" (Viper Phase 1, st. 7)
Gettok: "Like Unto Fire" (Vimana, st. 6)

St. F-B-1: "Dear Blue" (Salamander II, st. 6)
St. F-B-2: "A Poisonous Snake" (V-Five, st. 6; J.B.'s remix will be used)
Dreadnought Echidna: "Scaffold" (Ketsui, boss 5; EXTRA version will be used)

St. F-C-1: "Wings of Darkness" (GRID Seeker, st. 7)
St. F-C-2: St. 6 theme ("No Regrets") (Air Gallet)
Balor: "Hyper Duel" (Hyper Duel, battle with possessed Black Angel)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

The old Xeno Fighters Home Colony forum has been closed down due to terrible forum software and massive spambot registrations. XFR and XFEX have been integrated into Fusion Fangaming (http://fusionfangaming.spriters-resource.com/index.php), which puts XFR with MKF and other projects made by people in the same core team under one entity.

The new website was launched only recently (August 2, 2011), so things still look rough around the edges. Feel free to register a forum account and head on over to the Xeno Fighters section of the site to access release announcements of Xeno Fighters R and even Xeno Fighters EX, as well as a discussion board. This place will eventually supersede this huge topic here, so those who have music packs to share, the new forum is a place you can discuss and share them with ease!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQW1Hc-QTR0

Stage F-A Boss Gettok has undergone some tweaks and fixes to make it a suitable final stage boss.

*All Phase 1 bullets have been changed to the giant easy-to-see bullets.
*Gettok's second form now has spider legs.
*The entrapment attack has been extended and refined.
*The nebula effect has been made dimmer so that it does not distract from the enemy bullets.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

I registered on the new Fusion webpage. 8)

I like the spindly spider legs. I was half-expecting them to shoot bullets from the tip when they appeared, though. The tips looked like turrets. :P Curious if there are there any plans to do that?

BTW, @Alluro: I meant to ask this before, but were the Phyxius homing lasers created by drawing a series of vertices joined together using ds_queue? I remember a similar discussion long ago in Shmup-Dev around OpenGL methods for doing that.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

S20-TBL wrote:I like the spindly spider legs. I was half-expecting them to shoot bullets from the tip when they appeared, though. The tips looked like turrets. :P Curious if there are there any plans to do that?
After giving XF-R Gettok some nasty new entrapment attacks, making the legs shoot will be overkill...

The Amada's lasers are created using a crude method. The homing head creates a shrinking laser segment with every frame, rotated in the direction the head is facing. Crude, but effective.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Or have the legs be what shoot out the lesser-population entrapment attacks...(Attack routine idea: Gettok quickly moves to the upper side of the screen, and the on-screen legs supply an entrapment attack while the proboscis and abdomen both fire. Repeat for other side.)