Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

is the hotdog storm ship gonna be in the game? that would be cool to have. this looks great even if there is a pokemon in the game.
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

dude, I cannot freakin wait for the next public release :P
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Looking at your latest video, I noticed that the stage select screen mentioned three "EX" stages. Are these planned to be accessible in the main game, or are they stand-alone challenges?
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

this is an amazing video. now I really would love to see a pokemon shmup. I can't wait to see what other ships are added.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Excellent work, Alluro!
This new version seems to have heaps more being put into it, and I apologise if I seem a bit too keen but - when can we expect a new release?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Excellent work, Alluro!
This new version seems to have heaps more being put into it, and I apologise if I seem a bit too keen but - when can we expect a new release?
I am working on this game as my final project for college. However, at this moment, I'm focusing on current school projects for now. I'm taking my time with Xeno Fighters so that all issues raised so far from the first public demo will be addressed.

I estimate I will have a new public beta in about two weeks, where I will have all four stock ships done, plus about one or two new levels. I hope to include at least some score saving, autofire, and Slave formations.

Another idea I had: non-linear level progression. Basically, if you meet certain conditions on a stage, you would be sent to a different stage next. An example is the current Stage 3 (1974 Vietnam). It's very difficult, now that I've fixed the enemy vulnerability issue and nerfed Miyamoto and the Judge Spear, as well as very long. I plan to designate that stage as "Stage 3-B", which would denote it as an alternate path stage. Main path stages would have an "A" on it, and Stage 3-A would be an all-new stage for the remake, shorter and less difficult than 3-B. This non-linear stage progression could also be used as a means to view an alternate ending and possibly unlock new features.

To those asking about the EX stages you saw on the Stage Select screen in the latest video: I plan to make those stages extra challenges; they would not be available in the main game's stage order.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
DragonMC

Post by DragonMC »

First post, w00t!
Alluro wrote: Another idea I had: non-linear level progression. Basically, if you meet certain conditions on a stage, you would be sent to a different stage next. An example is the current Stage 3 (1974 Vietnam). It's very difficult, now that I've fixed the enemy vulnerability issue and nerfed Miyamoto and the Judge Spear, as well as very long. I plan to designate that stage as "Stage 3-B", which would denote it as an alternate path stage. Main path stages would have an "A" on it, and Stage 3-A would be an all-new stage for the remake, shorter and less difficult than 3-B. This non-linear stage progression could also be used as a means to view an alternate ending and possibly unlock new features.
I support this idea.

This shmup seems really awesome so far, and I hope to find that I was understating that when the game comes out. :3
TheBigL1

Post by TheBigL1 »

Since you're taking suggestions for cameo ships, I'd love to see one of the jets from U.N. Squadron, preferably the F200 Efreet. It could go something like...
Main gun: Vulcan, which shoots bigger shots for every power-up obtained, up to 7.
Laser: Either Super Shell (large high-speed energy shots) or T. Laser (streams of electricity, shooting more that spread out when you power it up)
Missile: Definitely Phoenix Missiles (fast spirally homing missiles).
Bomb: Mega Crush. Clears away enemy bullets and makes the Efreet invincible while the attack is still going, but it's not an instant bomb, and it doesn't deal as much damage as most bombs do. It still kills minor enemies, but only deals sizeable damage to large enemies, and very little to bosses.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Alluro wrote:I am working on this game as my final project for college. However, at this moment, I'm focusing on current school projects for now. I'm taking my time with Xeno Fighters so that all issues raised so far from the first public demo will be addressed.

I estimate I will have a new public beta in about two weeks, where I will have all four stock ships done, plus about one or two new levels. I hope to include at least some score saving, autofire, and Slave formations.

Another idea I had: non-linear level progression. Basically, if you meet certain conditions on a stage, you would be sent to a different stage next. An example is the current Stage 3 (1974 Vietnam). It's very difficult, now that I've fixed the enemy vulnerability issue and nerfed Miyamoto and the Judge Spear, as well as very long. I plan to designate that stage as "Stage 3-B", which would denote it as an alternate path stage. Main path stages would have an "A" on it, and Stage 3-A would be an all-new stage for the remake, shorter and less difficult than 3-B. This non-linear stage progression could also be used as a means to view an alternate ending and possibly unlock new features.

To those asking about the EX stages you saw on the Stage Select screen in the latest video: I plan to make those stages extra challenges; they would not be available in the main game's stage order.
Sounds great! Kinda like how Raiden Fighters JET has the weird level deduction thingy. Well, from what I've seen you post so far all of the issues have been addressed. Kudos!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote: Sounds great! Kinda like how Raiden Fighters JET has the weird level deduction thingy. Well, from what I've seen you post so far all of the issues have been addressed. Kudos!
The big difference with these conditions: they are not based on collected bonuses like in RFJ. For example, a friend and I decided to make 3-B accessible when you destroy the satellite dish on Silver Banshee (Stage 2 boss) before it self destructs (after it summons two waves of missiles).

Another small update: High-score saving implemented. Right now, it's just Game Maker's default high-score pop-up window, but it's certainly better than before, where you get kicked back to the ship select screen after losing your last life.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Articuno and Moltres Slaves for Zapdos completed:
ImageImage

As you can see, Articuno and Moltres can flank Zapdos at either side. Which Legendary Bird Zapdos gets is random (i.e. if Moltres appears first, then Articuno appears second, and vice versa). They behave just like normal Slaves. Once special Slave formations are coded in, Articuno and Moltres will assume these formations as well.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

this is shaping reallly good alluro... keep up the good work.

one question:
is there an estimated release date of the final build?
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Alluro wrote:Articuno and Moltres Slaves for Zapdos completed
LOL.

I do think it's odd, though, that they are almost bigger than their master. Shouldn't they be about half as huge, like the 'normal' alsves?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Well, actually Zapdos always had peculiar wings compared to the other two (I'm a fan of Pokemon since the Hoenn era), so they do seem right. Although I think they could have a bit more uniqueness in their firing.
You've already gone so far to have all these new stuff in the next release and made the custom slaves for Zapdos, what about a simple fireball and ice block for their bullets?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote: You've already gone so far to have all these new stuff in the next release and made the custom slaves for Zapdos, what about a simple fireball and ice block for their bullets?
No offense, but you are really being picky about such minor things, and I find that annoying. I can't mull over every single tiny detail at this point. Gameplay is most important.

Nitpicking does not equal criticism.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

In that case, I apologise. :roll:

I do believe you covered the major parts gameplay-wise, anyhow. ;)
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

It's the Galaga ship! Here's its spot on the select screen:

Here's the Herr Schatten-made sprites:
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

And that other ship next to it is the Solvalou revamp, I assume?
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

when is the next demo coming out?
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Alluro wrote: EDIT: Does the DDP green heli have a proper name? I keep calling it "DDP Type-B".
Do-NX-AH-16B Assault Helicopter "Biaxe" at least in daifukkatsu
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

No updates?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Hey everyone.

Sorry about the lack of updates lately. College classes are eating up so much of my free time over the past two months. I have not stopped working on this game. I plan to present a four level demo of this game as a final project for my game design class around the end of May, though the next update should come sooner than that.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I sure can wait, seeing the excellent progress that's going on with this, and with the Game Maker programming I'm doing at the moment as well.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Alluro wrote:Another idea I had: non-linear level progression. Basically, if you meet certain conditions on a stage, you would be sent to a different stage next. An example is the current Stage 3 (1974 Vietnam). It's very difficult, now that I've fixed the enemy vulnerability issue and nerfed Miyamoto and the Judge Spear, as well as very long. I plan to designate that stage as "Stage 3-B", which would denote it as an alternate path stage. Main path stages would have an "A" on it, and Stage 3-A would be an all-new stage for the remake, shorter and less difficult than 3-B. This non-linear stage progression could also be used as a means to view an alternate ending and possibly unlock new features.
Any chance of the game ending early if too many objectives have been failed?

For example, for an event such as failing to deactivate the bombs in stage 4 and failing whatever objectives beforehand in both stages 2 and 3, you are led to an easy stage 5 where you attempt to salvage the timeline but get a bad ending despite your efforts.

To reduce workload, I'd suggest limiting the multiple stage iterations to the first half of the game and judge how many of stages 6-8 the player gets to play based on that sort of like Contra: Shattered Soldier, or reducing the amount of stages the player gets to play in a single run.

Or you could try the Psyvariar or RFJ methods, like performance-based goals leading you to more challenging stages. You can also fit the EX levels in the main game at certain points for players who perform extremely well at certain points or do risky things for added challenge/punishment (100m after stage 2, suiciding all your reserve planes at stage 1 and playing a number of stages with 0 remain while scoring high (as to not punish those who don't perform as well or flub it at stage 1 and play it safe as a result), maxing out rank early, sacrificing a chance to get an extend to get a different more score-oriented bonus as a result, etc.)

also, needs cirno
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Twiddle wrote: Any chance of the game ending early if too many objectives have been failed?

For example, for an event such as failing to deactivate the bombs in stage 4 and failing whatever objectives beforehand in both stages 2 and 3, you are led to an easy stage 5 where you attempt to salvage the timeline but get a bad ending despite your efforts.

To reduce workload, I'd suggest limiting the multiple stage iterations to the first half of the game and judge how many of stages 6-8 the player gets to play based on that sort of like Contra: Shattered Soldier, or reducing the amount of stages the player gets to play in a single run.

Or you could try the Psyvariar or RFJ methods, like performance-based goals leading you to more challenging stages. You can also fit the EX levels in the main game at certain points for players who perform extremely well at certain points or do risky things for added challenge/punishment (100m after stage 2, suiciding all your reserve planes at stage 1 and playing a number of stages with 0 remain while scoring high (as to not punish those who don't perform as well or flub it at stage 1 and play it safe as a result), maxing out rank early, sacrificing a chance to get an extend to get a different more score-oriented bonus as a result, etc.)

also, needs cirno
Having the game end early if you fail too many objectives could be a great alternative to having traditional difficulty levels. The absolute worst result could have the game end early, like around Stage 4 or so. I'd like to hear what other people think of this idea.

Also, I agree with having the branching stage paths occupy the first half of the game, so that it would not be too mind-numbing. I've discussed an idea with Skyknight about having a true final level (a level after Stage 8-2 in the original XF-EX) that is accessible only after going through the best stage path (complete all B stages), in which you can fight a true final boss (akin to Hibachi from Dodonpachi).
agustusx

Post by agustusx »

Alluro wrote:
Twiddle wrote: Any chance of the game ending early if too many objectives have been failed?
Having the game end early if you fail too many objectives could be a great alternative to having traditional difficulty levels. The absolute worst result could have the game end early, like around Stage 4 or so. I'd like to hear what other people think of this idea.
I vote yes. Its nearly as embarrassing as playing a game on easy, and it saying "to play full game please pick a harder difficulty". it's probably more similar to dying early in a choose your own adventure book, either way I think its a good idea.
nZero

Post by nZero »

I like it, as long as:

a) the correct route is also unambiguously the highest scoring path
b) there's some kind of indicator that objectives were passed/failed and that branching stages exist, instead of people who aren't good at the game or continue saying "that was it?"
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

So, next version will have TATE?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
nimitz

Post by nimitz »

The whole branching levels based on performance (RFJ style) is a great idea.

But it also means more work on designing more stages, that will not be played in high-scoring runs. This is more like icing on the cake to me. I would focus on the main path, then if it turns out there's still interest in making the game deeper this would be a great idea.
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

Could possibly save on development time by having the easy stages be truncated/neutered/destroyed versions of the hard stages, like Psyvariar.
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays