Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Xeno Fighters R (ON HIATUS) - January 18, 2014

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Not sure how I missed this as I've been checking Fusion Gameworks for a while. Once the source is public it's not going to matter much if people do multiple forks of it - everyone will know where it came from, there isn't nearly as much interest in it vs the Mario engines on Fusion Gameworks and don't get me started on the engine itself. No need to worry about it getting "ruined".

Optimising the soundtrack is most likely using OGGs instead of MP3s, using better quality tracks in the first place and maybe a bit more loop point usage to bring the file size down. FMOD/GMFMODSimple not only supports OGG with loop points but a lot of other formats as well so it makes sense to make the most of it.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Hello again! I decided to check back in this thread to see if there was any progress toward the final version of the game. It's been a while since the last update so I thought it would be finished... But I know real life happens too.

Also, I recently tried to download the current version, but the files don't appear to be there anymore.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Man, try this alternate link, it is from my own account from Media Fire.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/m0b0c ... 1+Beta.zip

Alluro, sorry because I asked not for your autorization, man, if you want, I'll remove the pack.

After some search on Google, I found the older version: http://www.fusiongameworks.net/smf/index.php?topic=28.0

Enjoy!
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Unfortunately, after several testes, last versions 10 and 11 suffer too many bugs and crashes, when we play on versions 7 64 bits and 8.1 o Windows.

All modes and dificulties crashes, making the game UNPLAYABLE :(

I'd back to XP... :(
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

The OS is not the problem, there was an issue with the code for drawing the high score table in v0.11 that crashes the game at the end. Win8 onwards has DirectSound compatibility issues so sfx playing may crash, which is part GM part Win8.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Win8 onwards has DirectSound compatibility issues so sfx playing may crash, which is part GM part Win8.
To elaborate: On the Windows side, it's their new audio DLL that's causing problems. On the GM side, it's because GM8.1 and below merely overlay sounds on the same channels, which causes the newer Windows audio DLL to get confused and crash the game.

Although there's a workaround (stopping a given sound when attempting to play another instance of it), it's not foolproof. GM:S's new audio system fixes this issue, but porting XFR onto it is a whole different beast.

Also, this is my 404th post. I am error.
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
BPzeBanshee

YEET

Post by BPzeBanshee »

BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Surprise! :D
EddyMRA

Re: YEET

Post by EddyMRA »

Just came in to give BPZeBanshee full permission to take over Xeno Fighters R and handle its development from here on out. A lot has changed for me in the nearly 11 years since starting Xeno Fighters R. I'm done with fangames. I am done using Game Maker. I also have moved on from shmups in general, as I want to focus on different games rather than just one genre of games. Instead of making fangames, I have begun working on original independent game projects with a group of other people, and we plan to sell our original games commercially.

I am no longer the angry immature individual I was in 2008 or so. Untreated severe clinical depression and lack of coping skills with my past left me to use anger as a way to delude myself into thinking I had control. Therapy and medications helped me have control over my depression now, instead of the other way around all my life before. To show I have changed and moved on from my dark past on the internet, I have retired the Alluro, Alluro95, and Judge Spear usernames, and now I use a name that's based on my real name.

Thank you all for the memories and the good and bad times being part of the shmups community. I want to move on to different things now.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
Goompaolo9500

Post by Goompaolo9500 »

S20-TBL wrote:
BPzeBanshee wrote:Win8 onwards has DirectSound compatibility issues so sfx playing may crash, which is part GM part Win8.
To elaborate: On the Windows side, it's their new audio DLL that's causing problems. On the GM side, it's because GM8.1 and below merely overlay sounds on the same channels, which causes the newer Windows audio DLL to get confused and crash the game.

Although there's a workaround (stopping a given sound when attempting to play another instance of it), it's not foolproof. GM:S's new audio system fixes this issue, but porting XFR onto it is a whole different beast.

Also, this is my 404th post. I am error.
That reminds me of Gustav’s Games like Odd Mobs Zero Arrange; it crashes after defeating the second boss and somehow the same with Dotonpachi Maximum. Because Gustav’s games are also made with Game Maker.
At this rate, I won’t be interested into shmups anymore. I am no longer going to be active in this forum from now on. I am more interested into Kemono Friends, rhythm games, D4DJ, Puzzle Games, Hololive, and Pretty Cure.

Farewell.
Despatche

Re: YEET

Post by Despatche »

Just saw this, really exciting. BP will definitely do this justice.
Alluro wrote:Just came in to give BPZeBanshee full permission to take over Xeno Fighters R and handle its development from here on out. A lot has changed for me in the nearly 11 years since starting Xeno Fighters R. I'm done with fangames. I am done using Game Maker. I also have moved on from shmups in general, as I want to focus on different games rather than just one genre of games. Instead of making fangames, I have begun working on original independent game projects with a group of other people, and we plan to sell our original games commercially.

I am no longer the angry immature individual I was in 2008 or so. Untreated severe clinical depression and lack of coping skills with my past left me to use anger as a way to delude myself into thinking I had control. Therapy and medications helped me have control over my depression now, instead of the other way around all my life before. To show I have changed and moved on from my dark past on the internet, I have retired the Alluro, Alluro95, and Judge Spear usernames, and now I use a name that's based on my real name.

Thank you all for the memories and the good and bad times being part of the shmups community. I want to move on to different things now.
You've always seemed pretty great to me. I know you've had to deal with a lot of drama in your time, and I've never blamed you for getting irate over any of it.

I am glad that you do feel better about yourself, though. Getting out of fangames and moving onto bigger things is always the right thing to do.

Don't forget shmups though. I hope you'll go on to make an interesting new shmup someday.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BPzeBanshee

Re: Xeno Fighters R (14 January 2019 - BPzE GMStudio port)

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Hi all, would like to update this thread on a better note. First, a video of a "blind" playthrough of the current public release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJsm4SyiB8A

Things are going slow and steady. Most of the important things are backend-related, so not much visually to show, but also lots of bugfixes. I've already addressed some of the more glaring ones present in that video but there's more to come. And while I won't be so brave as to say my own personal problems are dealt with, the issue of "bus passenger" count I was worried about in December has been fully resolved and I feel better already for it.

Alluro's on board in an advisory and assistive role, and has helped immensely with keeping track of issues on the new repo I've set up to contain the Studio branch for XFR. I won't put words into his mouth but he's told me in plain terms in the months since the last update that he's quite keen on seeing this project finished - just not with him propelling the whole thing forward himself, which is totally understandable.

With that out of the way, here's a video of a little something Alluro did in his spare time (still running under the old GM8 project branch for reasons that have since been dealt with): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIUSM0LxbDQ

That's but a snapshot of what is to come. I have plans on rewriting the music controller to better future-proof the project and hopefully allow cross-platform support, with other things I'd rather keep under wraps till its ready to follow after. Key emphasis here: No deadlines, ETAs or promises, just a few guys with an itch to scratch, and most importantly a plan.
Yogesh4390

Post by Yogesh4390 »

Fantastic news! I always loved Xeno Fighters EX!
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Super hyped for the next release of this.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm releasing a new build tomorrow and will be launching an Arcade mode scoring competition to go with it which will end on the 22nd next month - this competition hopefully will put the internal overhaul of the stage progression system to the test. The changelog from the New Year's Day release I surprised everyone with is huge, mostly consisting of bugfixes and polish which you wouldn't see if you hadn't observed the old 2011 builds but has a few new features as well. More details tomorrow.

I'll also use this opportunity to let folks know that we are in need of artist support and someone to update and maintain the game's Fandom Wiki if anyone's willing. Some upcoming bosses' sprites have not aged well since the game's original MMF incarnation from 2003 and we're looking to get them redrawn, and the Wiki has horridly outdated information on it and I'm terrible at using that site's editor code. If you're interested and want to contribute, please PM me.

Last but not least, thank you to everyone who's supported this game! Hope you'll enjoy tomorrow's build, and I hope I don't manage to break it horrendously in the next 24 hours. :P
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

And it's out the door!

Download HERE

(EDIT: R4 fixes several crashes and odd behaviours I've listed in the changelog.txt, I'm so sorry, please redownload)

Scoring thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65763
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Never played before, just downloaded and gave it a shot. I like it.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

First of all, I just want to say that I've been playing this game again and again for the past few days. I'm not good enough a player to really join the competition you have going, but I am enjoying the game in its current state immensely.

But second of all: I encountered a crash :( I was at the jungle stage (3B? Vietnam?) and leaving the midboss alive because I thought it was the boss; I was trying to figure out how to accomplish that stage's mission. Anyway, the game kept scrolling, spawning zako normally, but it crashed when it reached a certain point (a Miclus, which I think is the second one after the midboss spawns, was near the center of the screen). The midboss itself was on its second phase and was about to die for what it's worth. I also don't know if it's useful info, but I was using the Blue Javelin, had one life in stock, had no helpers, and was playing on Normal difficulty.

Here's the report I got:

Code: Select all

of  Step Event0
for object obj_1974_midboss:

Variable obj_1974_midboss.mylifebar(100416, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_obj_1974_midboss_Step_0
############################################################################################
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
stack frame is
gml_Object_obj_1974_midboss_Step_0 (line -1)
Hope this helps you in some way, and good luck with the game!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Thanks for playing, and for the bugfinding assist floralcateyes!

Got that crash fixed - turned out it was some leftover uninitialised code from when it was first programmed in 2009(!) and all that was needed was to delete a line. I expect there may be a few lingering issues with boss timeouts due to stuff like this so feel free to PM me if you find any other oddities like that.

Regarding scores, I think if you put your mind to it then high scores are definitely in the realm of possibility with this game, especially if you practice via Conquest Mode. I've seen and personally achieved 100+ million scores in the past; the key is good use of your ship, getting those Micluses and upping the medal rank. That being said, I've had at least one person say the competition was set on too high a bar and I'm considering adding a listing for the dynamic 'Arcade' difficulty. If that's more up people's alley let me know and I'll do it.
floralcateyes

Post by floralcateyes »

Glad to hear it was a simple fix; will shoot you a pm if i stumble across anything else. Good luck with the rest of it!

I've only really just begun playing shmups, so I really can't compete with the likes of eg the mighty prales. But I'm having fun with the game's scoring system so far (at least, what I understand of it). Planning to dig deeper into its systems once I finish up experimenting with the different ships. I don't usually go for chaining games, but that nagging Bakraid "chain drop" sound effect makes me want to plan out some simple routes.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah, well Prales discovered an exploit which I'm grateful for but I don't want players like yourself discouraged because of effectively a scoring exploit that won't exist in the distant future, so I've added a Conquest Mode listing. If you can get a good score in any stage with uncapped chains you can get your name on there. Good hunting. :)
EddyMRA

Re: Xeno Fighters R (Game Maker Studio port with BPzeBanshee

Post by EddyMRA »

Yeet. Look at what BPzeBanshee, S20-TBL, and I did.

I've also given the default soundtrack a long-needed remastering to high quality. It's 2020. A huge majority of people can download hundreds of megabytes easily now.

There's also an overhaul with the soundtrack system that allows people to have much more control over soundtrack customization. Do you want your favorite boss theme to play on all bosses? Do you want some stages to have no boss music? With the latest changes, now you can!

We replaced the Pokemon Zapdos with Tengai from Samurai Aces. Given how litigious Nintendo and The Pokemon Compay are these days, it's best to play it safe.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Wow, awesome update.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Some of the mission objectives can be a bit hard to fulfill...
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

xxx1993 wrote:Some of the mission objectives can be a bit hard to fulfill...
We plan to overhaul the mission objectives to make them more intuitive to fulfill.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Like I don’t understand the satellite one in Mission 2.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

xxx1993 wrote:Like I don’t understand the satellite one in Mission 2.
That one is our fault. The original objective as it's written is:

destroy Silver Banshee's radar beacon as it is overloading
One way to rewrite it to be easier to understand is:

Wait until Silver Banshee lets out a warning before destroying the radar beacon
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

You mean when it makes that bonus stage sound from Sonic the Hedgehog? Or is it something else entirely?
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

I think there are a few balance issues. I don't think I should be able to do this on max rank stage 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMtO-3Cogh4

suicide early with miyamoto, basically hold the center for the entire stage... discover miclus by accident.. it's really OP!

Give enemies a smidge more HP based on rank perhaps?
Single aimed fast revenge bullets to force movement?
facebook: Facebook
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

n0rtygames wrote:I think there are a few balance issues. I don't think I should be able to do this on max rank stage 1?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMtO-3Cogh4

suicide early with miyamoto, basically hold the center for the entire stage... discover miclus by accident.. it's really OP!

Give enemies a smidge more HP based on rank perhaps?
Single aimed fast revenge bullets to force movement?
Ah yes, those popcorn enemies' coding has been unchanged since 2008. The solution is to make them shoot much earlier than they do now, before you can destroy them. This has been addressed in stages made much later in development. Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLwa7S461aE