Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.11 Beta) - Updated October 23, 2011

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I personally recommend Phyxius for attempting a survival run, however the beauty of games made as well as Xeno Fighters R is that your mileage will vary from person-to-person. Some people find the Judge Spear too difficult to use for speed while others find the Raiden MK-II impossible, yet others again will excel using one particular ship. In v0.11, my personal favourites are the Phyxius and the now-defunct Jade Knight.
Since Phyxius is among the remaining 16, has reasonable speeds, good survival-oriented bomb and good coverage/attack ratio that is interchangeable depending on your shot type (L/M) I find it to be one of the best survival ships available. If you aim at scoring, it is also good there, but you may find that you can't squeeze in as much extra points that you may be able to with other ships due to point-blanking while having the bomber effect deployed may result in a loss (or more specifically lack of gain) of points.

Your mention of RFJ's leaderboard intrigues me too, by the way. Obviously there are high scoring runs with clears that have been done on MAME (Alluro has second place on this forum's score thread for it) but I'm surprised no one's put effort into the X360 port version. If it ever gets released for PAL I'll try and fix that. ;)
nZero

Post by nZero »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Your mention of RFJ's leaderboard intrigues me too, by the way. Obviously there are high scoring runs with clears that have been done on MAME (Alluro has second place on this forum's score thread for it) but I'm surprised no one's put effort into the X360 port version. If it ever gets released for PAL I'll try and fix that. ;)
He's talking about Full Run mode, which plays all of the stages instead of using the branching system. Also it's actually lower scoring since there's no more stage clear tally. There's no table for it in the HS thread here.

@Alluro - New roster looks good, I haven't had time to play the new version yet, I'll try and catch up with you sometime.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Been very busy with school, and now I'm approaching finals week. As for XFR, v0.12 will be a major housecleaning version. It will also simplify some long-standing game features. Summary of fixes done so far:

MAJOR CHANGES:
==============
-11 ships have been cut from the roster: Gyaraga/Hoplon, Solvalou, Lord British, Falchion β, Jade Knight, Hikaru, Michael, Michelle H., E-75, Zero fighter, Twinbee. All resource related to these cut ships (sprites, sounds, objects) have been removed from the game.
-Score multipliers are no longer activated in Arcade mode. Multipliers are now strictly Conquest Mode-only features. Chains in Arcade Mode are now used only for uncovering certain Fairies on the stages. This now means that Arcade Mode scores will no longer be heavily bloated, and the majority of scoring will come from 100K medals. How many players actually hunt for chains during Arcade mode? Even I don't anymore. This is best relegated to Conquest Mode.
-Game rank now decreases only upon player death. It increases only by time between deaths. Additionally, Medals, Fairies and Micluses no longer influence rank.

BUGS AND ISSUES SOLVED:
=======================
-Shadows for green capital ships in Stage F-C no longer appear on top of the ship sprite.

BALANCE CHANGES:
================
-Raiden mk-IIβ: Spread Vulcan firepower increased by 10%.
ENEMIES:
Galaga-style enemy formation objects: Hitpoints reduced from 15 to 7.

While trimming the source and removing resources associated with the cut ships, I ran into this interesting glitch at one point:
ImageImage
The Blue Javelin had two spastic Judge Spears attached to its butt. Those are supposed to be the thrusters, but somehow, the thruster sprite got replaced by the Judge Spear ship.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Not meaning to nag, but have the current issues with Arcade mode been fixed as well?

Your spastic Judge Spear pics gave me a chuckle too, btw. :P

In other news, I finally finished up the updated Thunder Force Music Mod for this release. Here's the vid and here's the download link. Awesome music (I hope) for an awesome game.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Not meaning to nag, but have the current issues with Arcade mode been fixed as well?

Your spastic Judge Spear pics gave me a chuckle too, btw. :P

In other news, I finally finished up the updated Thunder Force Music Mod for this release. Here's the vid and here's the download link. Awesome music (I hope) for an awesome game.
Be patient, my dear Padawan, and they shall be fixed.

I can make a video of this to show how bizarre it looks.

I also plan to include a download to my Dynasty Warriors music pack. As for the default soundtrack, I will start transitioning to using as much original music as possible.
nZero

Post by nZero »

Alluro wrote:-Score multipliers are no longer activated in Arcade mode. Multipliers are now strictly Conquest Mode-only features. Chains in Arcade Mode are now used only for uncovering certain Fairies on the stages. This now means that Arcade Mode scores will no longer be heavily bloated, and the majority of scoring will come from 100K medals. How many players actually hunt for chains during Arcade mode? Even I don't anymore. This is best relegated to Conquest Mode.
-Game rank now decreases only upon player death. It increases only by time between deaths. Additionally, Medals, Fairies and Micluses no longer influence rank.
Probably for the best that rank is simplified. I'm kinda sad the chain multiplier is leaving the scoring system though.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

nZero wrote:Probably for the best that rank is simplified. I'm kinda sad the chain multiplier is leaving the scoring system though.
It's gone in Arcade Mode, but it's still there in Conquest Mode. The big difference is now the multiplier is no longer capped at 10x. This means you can get very high scores in Conquest Mode stages in v0.12. I'll upload a video showing this off later tonight.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Double post, but here's the video showing the new Conquest Mode scoring system with uncapped score multipliers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rekAra1_Ak

Yep, score multipliers are now equal to your chain length in XFR Conquest Mode. 110 million in EX-1 may sound impressive, but on one of my Conquest Mode trials on EX-1, I got 120+ million fully chaining everything...
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

The disparity between the newly made stages and the older ones is going to be real huge now in terms of Conquest Mode scores. Even with Jade Knight in v0.11, getting a high score in stages like 5-A is like getting blood from a stone. :P

This will be quite impressive to have a go when it comes out. Stupid nagging question again (shut up Chichi), but are we going to see this new version for Christmas or when the world ends next year?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

BPzeBanshee wrote:The disparity between the newly made stages and the older ones is going to be real huge now in terms of Conquest Mode scores. Even with Jade Knight in v0.11, getting a high score in stages like 5-A is like getting blood from a stone. :P

This will be quite impressive to have a go when it comes out. Stupid nagging question again (shut up Chichi), but are we going to see this new version for Christmas or when the world ends next year?
A general rule I'm following is that A-stages are not heavily emphasized on chaining, while B and EX are. There are a few exceptions (4-A, EX-3), and now that chaining no longer produces multipliers in Arcade Mode, scoring should more or less stay linear in Arcade Mode survival runs. Arcade Mode chaining just produces some Fairies in certain stages.

Don't want to make an estimate on v0.12 release, but once I fix all the major reported bugs in v0.11 and finish the uncompleted stages, then v0.12 will be ready.
pc945 wrote:And there is another question: Among the 16 fighters you decided to keep, which one has the high opportunity to "ultimate clear" the game without any continues? Can you give me a suggestion? :? :?:
Of the 16 that remain, I'll say that the Judge Spear is the best candidate for a 1CC. Its Dimension Mine bomber is both quick to deploy and does excellent damage against tough enemies. The only flaw of the JS is its lack of spread in its weapons.

Miyamoto is also a good candidate for a 1CC. His weakness is the general lack of punch to his weapons, but his speed and coverage make up for it.

Of the original ships, I would go with the Phyxius. I remember how crappy that ship was in the original XF-EX. In XF-R, the Phyxius got a major upgrade, along with a very useful defensive Bomber. If you can get past its slow rate of fire, you can play very well with the Phyxius.
pc945

Post by pc945 »

Alluro wrote:
Of the 16 that remain, I'll say that the Judge Spear is the best candidate for a 1CC. Its Dimension Mine bomber is both quick to deploy and does excellent damage against tough enemies. The only flaw of the JS is its lack of spread in its weapons.

Miyamoto is also a good candidate for a 1CC. His weakness is the general lack of punch to his weapons, but his speed and coverage make up for it.

Of the original ships, I would go with the Phyxius. I remember how crappy that ship was in the original XF-EX. In XF-R, the Phyxius got a major upgrade, along with a very useful defensive Bomber. If you can get past its slow rate of fire, you can play very well with the Phyxius.
Thanks for suggestions! I have tried Phyxius and Judge Spear. Judge Spear is still too fast for me to control, and I collided with enemies some times. Phyxius is good! I got to Stage F-C Part 2 (after log on to the colony) at the first time! (though it was base on EASY difficulty) And my route is 1→2→3B→EX1→4A(I don't know why I went to 4A instead of 4B or EX2, and I'm sure I made all micluses appear in EX1)→5B(without boss)→EX3→6B→F-C. The only thing that Phyxius annoys me is its laser only stretches about 60% of the screen, which means I can't keep staying at the bottom of the screen, or I can't hit some enemies staying at the upper screen.

Before you cut ships, there were at least one ship fitting any parameter, but after cutting, some parameters, like "ATK 1", "ATK 6", "COV 4", "RPD 4", don't have any ship represent them! Will you make some adjust (without adding or replacing any ship) to make the "Among all parameters, there is at least one ship" condition, or just leave them blank? The following is the "ship parameter list":

Speed:

1:Raiden mk-II
2:Zavia, Xelcor, Vic Viper, Pollux, Zapdos, P-38
3:Amada Vipros, Raiden mk-II Beta, Castor, X-36
4:Phyxius, Blue Javelin, Miria
5:Miyamoto
6:Judge Spear

Attack:

1:none
2:Phyxius, Raiden mk-II, Raiden mk-II Beta, Miria, Miyamoto
3:Amada Vipros
4:Zavia, Judge Spear, Blue Javelin, Vic Viper, Castor, X-36, P-38
5:Xelcor, Pollux, Zapdos
6:none

Coverage:

1:Zavia, Xelcor, Judge Spear, Pollux, Zapdos
2:Blue Javelin, Castor, Miria, Miyamoto
3:Amada Vipros, Raiden mk-II, Vic Viper, X-36, P-38
4:none
5:Phyxius
6:Raiden mk-II Beta

Rapid Fire Rate

1:Xelcor, Raiden mk-II Beta, Vic Viper
2:Phyxius, Judge Spear, Blue Javelin, Castor
3:Amada Vipros, Pollux, Miyamoto, Zapdos, P-38
4:none
5:Zavia, X-36
6:Raiden mk-II
Varied:Miria (By the way, can I ask you what does "Varied" in "Rapid Fire Rate" mean?)

Bomb Power:

1:Phyxius
2:Zavia, Raiden mk-II Beta, Castor
3:Amada Vipros, Pollux, Miyamoto
4:Raiden mk-II, Miria, Zapdos, X-36, P-38
5:Xelcor, Judge Spear, Blue Javelin
6:Vic Viper

And there is the last two questions:
1.The hidden stage (WTF) comes after Stage F-C in 0.11, at your final version, what's the way to enter the hidden stage by your plan?
2.How many fairies in each stage? How many chains to make them appear?

Thank you for reading the long post!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

The ratings for the ship attributes are not absolute, just rough estimations of the attributes as compared to the baseline (Amada Vipros).
By the way, can I ask you what does "Varied" in "Rapid Fire Rate" mean?
I'm guessing English is not your native language? It means the rate of fire changes depending on the level of powerup. It starts slow and ends with a fast rate)

Stage WTF is not going to be an official stage in the final version. It is a test stage for Black Heart. Not all stages have Fairies.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

updated my first music pack for the game today:
http://db.tt/MUQeLLiv
Includes stuff from The Marx Trukker, Moby, IJO and many others.

Also am sharing for the first time my other music pack I've been working on called Random Games:
http://db.tt/Bh29EwFp
Features a lot of Shmup music, but not entirely. Some of the games included are Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun, Sins of A Solar Empire, Pier Solar, Under Defeat and many others.

Hope you guys download and enjoy the music packs. they've been tested and all stages and bosses work, but if something doesn't please mention it.
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Alluro, my friend: What is definitive version? I've download two different versions, is today a new version available for download?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

v0.11 is the latest version as far as I know which Alluro has edited into the first post in this thread.

He actually edits the first post of this thread with the latest release whenever he makes a new one, which is good practice, so that's the way to go. ;)
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

I didn't wanna read through the whole 43 pages of this thread so forgive me if anything I say has been said or asked before.

WOW.
Started shitting my pants at the ship select screen. Felt like I was playing the Marvel VS. Capcom of shmups. But it just made me want more. Are there plans for more ships? I really want Penta, myself, but I bet someone might want a couple of the Touhou girls or something.

I really didn't like the backgrounds at first, but they began to grow on me as more and more they reminded me of the Sega Genesis's limited colour palette, which is very fitting as the game itself reminds me so much of an old Toaplan shooter.

Although the inclusion of Parodious characters kinda made me half expect to see some cute-em-up enemies at some point, and then I started thinking of a game with WWII, spaceships, cute-em-up, moai, bio, and fish just mixed together in one beautiful mess. But I guess that wasn't the idea. Also reminded me how much I wish someone would make a 3-player Chrono Trigger shmup with all the original sprites, techs as subweapons, and double and triple techs between players (I have too many half-baked ideas--usually several a day). Also made me wish Parodious would make a verty.

Anyway I expected to this up for 5 minutes to check it out, instead I blew through probably as many continues as I've been alive in years. Good stuff. It kicked my ass too.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

The current version is a mess. I have removed:

*Solvalou
*Lord British
*Falchion β
*Jade Knight
*Hikaru
*Michael
*E-75
*Twinbee

Those players are unbalanced in the wrong ways. Additionally, no more ships will be added to this game. I let the game get too ambitious like a MUGEN or Marvel vs Capcom of shmups.

If you want to see cute-em-up enemies, go to Stage EX-3 in Conquest Mode.
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

Aww, dangit. Guess I'll hang onto this version then. =D
tiaoferreira

Post by tiaoferreira »

Yeah, I think I have the same q to keep the Beta version 0:11 RV, even ..
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

If you're gonna keep the old version once v0.12 is out just remember the bugs it has - the biggest one being Arcade mode being quite broken (0 lives, medal values unchanged from last round, scores unchanged and in the case of Expert an error).
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

You still have 19 other ships to use. Isn't that enough?
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

Well technically one is enough! I'll check out the next version still of course, I'm just gonna hold onto the old file for when I wanna play as those characters. Honestly I couldn't tell it was broken on my first play except for one of the stages resetting upon continue(in arcade mode)... and I thought that might be cause it was the last stage or something. Other than, of course, seeming to have infinite continues which I had guessed was for playtesting or something. Not that I mind, I kinda suck at this game. :!:
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

cuttingagent wrote:Other than, of course, seeming to have infinite continues which I had guessed was for playtesting or something. Not that I mind, I kinda suck at this game. :!:
The game will have unlimited continues, but when you continue in the final stages (F-A, F-B, F-C) you will restart those stages. This will be fully implemented in the next version.
cuttingagent

Post by cuttingagent »

That's kinda cool. Will we be mocked upon beating the game, for using them? =)
Drum
Banned User

Post by Drum »

Aw nuts, I'll miss Jade Knight and Hikaru. Still, I'm sure you're making the right decision for the project.
IGMO - Poorly emulated, never beaten.

Hi-score thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34327
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Proof that coursework is starting to relent on Alluro:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wEtoIPR ... ature=plcp
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Watching that again, I noticed someone in the Related Links section made a video containing Gleylancer's stage 1 music, a picture of Xeno Fighter's stage 9 position in the menu and marked it as created by 'GMOSSE Team'. Not endorsed by me (and I certainly didn't make the music), so I posted with correct music info. :P
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I've posted a new iteration of my music mod: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2twyhk1ag494l1x

{hopes that he remembered to include "Where?!" THIS time}

Some of the songs are admittedly predictive of what I expect the associated stage or boss to be like (q.v. "Defensive Style" for Steel Aughisky, the Varth st. 12/18 song for 6-A, "Dear Blue" for B-1, "Hyper Duel" for Balor), and I have no means to amplify volume for MP3s, which is why the volume for "Counter Work", "Battle Logic", "Rekka no Gotoku", and "Wings of Darkness" (and maybe "Being Rushed") are so relatively low. (I'm still trying to figure out how BeSweet works.)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Skyknight wrote:I've posted a new iteration of my music mod: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2twyhk1ag494l1x

{hopes that he remembered to include "Where?!" THIS time}

Some of the songs are admittedly predictive of what I expect the associated stage or boss to be like (q.v. "Defensive Style" for Steel Aughisky, the Varth st. 12/18 song for 6-A, "Dear Blue" for B-1, "Hyper Duel" for Balor), and I have no means to amplify volume for MP3s, which is why the volume for "Counter Work", "Battle Logic", "Rekka no Gotoku", and "Wings of Darkness" (and maybe "Being Rushed") are so relatively low. (I'm still trying to figure out how BeSweet works.)
Recommending Audacity with either the lame_MP3 dll ('LAME' is the acronym, it's actually really good) or switching to Ogg Vorbis where you don't have those issues. That's what I did with my mod - no volume issues there in regards to uneditability.
nZero

Post by nZero »