Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.10 Beta)

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Avalon wrote: I happen to have quite a few games made with GM, from here and other places. Now, while I know absolutely nothing about Game Maker itself, I do know that the resulting games are mostly stable - except for one random little flaw that never fails to come out in the game, different for each one... Strange.

Perhaps there may be a problem in the engine itself... But before I can test it out with my other GM games, I would have to know more about "what happens" when the bosses in this game die, and then try to recreate the bug elsewhere. Does the game post an activity log somewhere I didn't think of looking?
The only logs of any kind you'll find with this is if Game Maker itself pops up an error in which case it'll be written to a file called game_errors.log or something similar. I certainly haven't encountered stuff like this with other projects but I have at times caused a loop crash using GMFMODSimple and hitting ENTER while pressing Z when I was first implementing a pause menu into GMOSSE. Deactivating/reactivating instances is known to be buggy depending on how you use it at times.
whinge whinge whinge overpowered ships etc
They're only overpowered because you're using them for what you're supposed to. Miyamoto's had various changes happen to it since v0.10 so I'd advise on waiting for the next release before you pick on its gameplay issues because they've probably been fixed. As for Gyaraga, as mentioned already in this thread, it's comically easy to use for survival and it's meant to be such - but go and get a placing in our highscore thread with it and then tell us it's broken. ;)

Have you guys played the Raiden Fighters games at all by any chance? The sound for them in MAME is borked but if you look it up and play for survival/scoring you'll see the influences quite clearly in the system that Xeno Fighters strictly adheres to, such as the maximum bomb stock being at 7 among other things.
EddyMRA

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.10 Beta)

Post by EddyMRA »

Xeno Fighters R - v0.11 Beta has been released!

ZIP file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/a3u48y (80.03 MB)

As usual, any bugs you find, please report them here. I wanted to get a new version out after so long, so there will be some bugs I missed.
Xeno Fighters R - v0.11 Changelog
=================================

NEW SHIPS:
==========
X-36 Warlord

NEW COMPLETED STAGES:
=====================
Stage EX-2 (Forest of Naju)
Stage F-A (Asteroid Belt)
Stage 6-B (Dimensional Abyss)

WIP:
Stage 4-B (2035 Iceland)
Stage 5-B (1991 Persian gulf)
Stage 5-C (Ravaged Earth)
Stage F-C (BRES Colony)

New feature list:
-Key binding customization

MAJOR CHANGES:
==============
-Stage progression has been drastically liquidated:
--Stage 7-B has been scrapped.
--Stage 7-A (Asteroid Belt) is now Stage F-A (Alpha Clear Final Stage)
--Stage 8-1 (Temporal Warp) and 8-2 (Dreadnought Echidna) are now collectively Stage F-B (Neutral Clear Final Stage)
--Stage 9 (BRES Colony) is now Stage F-C (True Final Stage)
--EX Stages now take you to the B stage after the next stage after you entered a particular EX stage (Example: 3-B -> EX-1 -> 5-B).
--It is now possible to warp directly to the next EX stage by finding all Micluses hidden in an EX stage, so that you can now go to EX-2

directly from EX-1.
-Miclus hiding spots now briefly flash on lower difficulty levels, hinting at their presence. On difficulty levels normal and lower, the

hover time is greatly reduced, revealing the Miclus in a significantly shorter time than before (10 frames as opposed to 75 frames). Expert

and Arcade modes retain the 75 frame hover time and the invisible hiding spots.
-Jade Knight overhauled, since the Vic Viper was given its v0.10 Laser weapon. Jade Knight is a single weapon mode ship that now uses Round

Laser from Gradius Gaiden as its Missile weapon and Pulse Laser as its Laser Weapon. It now uses standard Options that have a closer follow

distance that those of the Vic Viper. It automatically gains the Small Spread missiles upon powering up.
-The following bosses have been rebalanced significantly for lower difficulty levels: Silver Banshee, Jasper Gigas

BUGS AND ISSUES SOLVED:
=======================
-FIXED: Random crashing when entering stages. Fixed by clearing the FMOD file handles. It adds a 3 second delay between stages.
-FIXED: Pressing ENTER Key at difficulty select will set rank to 0/0 if player has not played any game during before then. This results in a

division by zero error on enemy shooting actions.
-FIXED: Pressing ENTER right after killing a stage boss (before the mission brief comes up) and invoking the PAUSE menu causes the game

won't show the mission brief at all but end up in an endless loop.
-FIXED: Retrying a stage in the Conquest Mode menu when your score is exactly 0 will not reset your lives, resulting in the retry having no

extra lives instead of 2.
-Optimized shadow code to reduce performance hit when a lot of objects that cast shadows are active.
-EX Medals now fall slower than regular medals. This is to allow players to collect regular medals, while making it easier to drop the EX

medal if the players choose not to enter an EX stage.
-P-38's shadow now changes when it performs its loop-de-loop bomber animation.
-P-38's loop-de-loop animation now appears on top of bullets.
-P-38 now has 60 frames of mercy invincibility after its loop-de-loop animation finishes.
-Michelle's hitbox moved from her head to her shoulders.
-Jade Knight's hitbox moved to center of ship.

BALANCE CHANGES:
================
-A6M Zero: increased rapid fire rate of main shot.
-Xelcor: Increased rapid fire rate of main shot at lower levels. Significantly increased firepower of main shot and Missile weapon.
-Zapdos: Sky Attack Bomber firepower increased by 50%.
-Raiden mk-IIβ: Spread Vulcan firepower increased by 27%, all levels.
-Miyamoto: Simplify powerup system so that he requires only four powerup icons to reach full power. Powerup icons level up both his Missile

and his main shot. He no longer has a Laser type weapon.

ENEMIES:
Truxton spherical tanks with the red core: Hitpoints reduced from 30 to 12.

COSMETIC CHANGES:
=================
-Small ships that shoot very fast bullets in expert mode: their bullet graphics have been changed to use the bigger bullet sprites. Small

bullets will be used for slower moving attacks from now on.
-Sound effects of the retro ships (Gyaraga and Hoplon) have been turned down so as not to be too loud.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
BPzeBanshee

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.11 Beta) - Updated October 23, 2011

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Holy shit I did not see this coming till at least January, downloading now. :D

EDIT: I've discovered some bugs.

Firstly,

Code: Select all

for object obj_menu_highscore:

In script highscore_enter:
Error in code at line 69:
   newname = wd_input_box ("High Score: " + string(score), "Congratulations! You have placed " + string(c) + ordinal + chr(13) + "on " + difftext + " mode!" + chr(13) + chr(13) +
                                                                                                                                         ^
at position 136: Wrong type of arguments to +.
Got this on an Arcade run (using Miria of course) and made it to Stage 9, at which point I died and then upon entering the highscore where the window would normally pop up this came along. Didn't happen in Conquest Mode, those scores submitted fine.
Secondly, Miria keeps her bomb effect going (the spinning circles) when respawning, I'm pretty sure that's not meant to happen.
Thirdly, while playing that stage on Stage 9 the enemies that shoot a spiral of bullets did not spin at all. I thought that was weird but was some kind of new attack or something at the time. Played as the Judge Spear in Conquest just now and could not replicate it so maybe it was something to do with the Arcade stage progression messing up a bunch of variables leading up to Stage 9?
Lastly, spotted some graphics bugs - only mentioning these so people don't repeat again. Half-tree in EX2, really really shaky background at beginning of 4-B, the ship you first blow up in 4-B, and the Judge Spear/Blue Javelin thrust retaining its colour in the ship selection menu which was present in the previous release.

On some good notes though, The A6M Zero is hard to play but not stupid like it was in previous release, well done there. The X-36 is also quite competent (I was worried it'd be underpowered like the other Strikers ships ended up but this isn't the case). The Jade Knight kinda feels like its heaps powerful now but that's okay because its awkward to use and requires pro skills to take any advantage of anyway.

Still testing, good stuff man. :D
kkusanagitw

Post by kkusanagitw »

umm,big problem
I found a new bug in this version
If Lord british get in level 3,it can't shoot the ripple laser :(
(sorry,my grammar wasn't good enough...)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

kkusanagitw wrote:umm,big problem
I found a new bug in this version
If Lord british get in level 3,it can't shoot the ripple laser :(
(sorry,my grammar wasn't good enough...)
Just spotted this myself so I can confirm. Sorry I didn't spot it sooner.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Lord British bug confirmed on my end. It only fires the Ripple once and only fires missiles from then on.

I'll never make another game again that has an asston of selectable players. Balance is just too much of a headache.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I thought you'd handled balancing just fine. Having over two-dozen ships doesn't help the workload though, that's for sure.
Have you been able to replicate the problem I had with Arcade mode? I can try and do so myself with stage progression info etc if you wanted.
kkusanagitw

Post by kkusanagitw »

I found a bug(?)again,
I think it maybe my problem(on my computer)
If I get into EX-Stage,it get's error...:(
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

kkusanagitw wrote:If I get into EX-Stage,it get's error...:(
Which EX stage? What error? I need better information if you want me to fix the problem.

I am going to scrap a good number of the ships come the next version. This game is becoming too bloated for its own good and I'm starting to lose interest in developing it. This was meant to only be a simple remake of XF-EX when I started this project. The only playables that there will be will be:
*Amada Vipros, Xelcor, Zaiva, Phyxius
*The four Seibu ships
*The Gemini Wing ships
*Vic Viper
*Zapdos (since a lot of work went into balancing that one)
*One or two of the following: Miyamoto, Miria, P-38

That's it. A roster of almost 30 ships cut down to a more manageable 12 or 13. It is time to cast aside that ambitious Mushroom Kingdom Fusion mentality and start doing things more practically.
kkusanagitw

Post by kkusanagitw »

Alluro wrote:
kkusanagitw wrote:If I get into EX-Stage,it get's error...:(
Which EX stage? What error? I need better information if you want me to fix the problem.

I am going to scrap a good number of the ships come the next version. This game is becoming too bloated for its own good and I'm starting to lose interest in developing it. This was meant to only be a simple remake of XF-EX when I started this project. The only playables that there will be will be:
*Amada Vipros, Xelcor, Zaiva, Phyxius
*The four Seibu ships
*The Gemini Wing ships
*Vic Viper
*Zapdos (since a lot of work went into balancing that one)
*One or two of the following: Miyamoto, Miria, P-38

That's it. A roster of almost 30 ships cut down to a more manageable 12 or 13. It is time to cast aside that ambitious Mushroom Kingdom Fusion mentality and start doing things more practically.
the problem is...When I warp into EX stage,it pop up the information box said ''The memory couldn't be read''
I think it maybe my problem(on my computer...)
and how should I do?
=================================
WWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!
I settled that problem by myself...
so sorry,alluro...orz
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Another bug - "Retry" on Conquest Menu after playing Stage EX1 does nothing except remove menu and reappear it again. I think its across the other stages too.

As for the removal of half the roster, what about Solvalou and the other Gradius ships? Surely Lord B and Jade Knight could be alternates instead? I can understand cutting the Strikers and Twinbee/Parodius sillyness but those ones I've mentioned either work fine without balancing concerns or were in XFEX like Vic Viper and the Geminis.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Some hard decisions have to be made. The "select ur sheeldz" thing is useless and it does not matter if the others work fine. I do not like the direction this game has taken, becoming a MUGEN of shmups, and this is how I see it fit to fix that. If people are unhappy with trimming the roster in this manner, then that's something I'll have to live with.

My decisions are final. It's either this or abandon this project completely.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Alluro wrote:Some hard decisions have to be made. The "select ur sheeldz" thing is useless and it does not matter if the others work fine. I do not like the direction this game has taken, becoming a MUGEN of shmups, and this is how I see it fit to fix that. If people are unhappy with trimming the roster in this manner, then that's something I'll have to live with.

Yeah things should be your way. The roster should be way more tighter so each ship will be more or less "distinct". We don't want XF-R to go to waste, anything you do. AND YEAH I hate the direction XF-R took with MUGEN of shmups thing. We've got GMOSSE for that haha. Do things your way, don't look upon us, get the thing done! That's all I ask for as a long-time fan of this thing.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

I know I'd recommend focusing on balancing/tweaking the non-EX stages and the initial ships before all else. THESE are the stars of the show, after all. I'm not sure what the innate appeal of having about 30 vessels is supposed to be ("more is better" is NOT sufficient explanation, from what I can see).

{votes for Miria and the P-38 to be among those kept}
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Alluro wrote:Some hard decisions have to be made. The "select ur sheeldz" thing is useless and it does not matter if the others work fine. I do not like the direction this game has taken, becoming a MUGEN of shmups, and this is how I see it fit to fix that. If people are unhappy with trimming the roster in this manner, then that's something I'll have to live with.

I think it's a good idea to reduce the ship roster. The game will be all the better for it, even if this means that a lot of the custom sprites I contributed have to go. I'm really looking forward to the next version with the smaller roster.

(Since Zapdos stays in, I still have a tiny bit of hope for inclusion of the slave-sized versions of Moltres and Articuno I made, replacing their big, darkened versions.)
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Kaiser wrote:

Yeah things should be your way. The roster should be way more tighter so each ship will be more or less "distinct". We don't want XF-R to go to waste, anything you do. AND YEAH I hate the direction XF-R took with MUGEN of shmups thing. We've got GMOSSE for that haha. Do things your way, don't look upon us, get the thing done! That's all I ask for as a long-time fan of this thing.
My thoughts are the same here too. Cutting out the bullshit material here (the cluster of extra ships) is the way to go if it means we get more distinct purpose out of the contenders we do have, and allows for focus on level development. I don't suppose you're going to keep the code for the ships in some archive somewhere for possible use later on down the track eh Alluro? Looking at it purely on a coder's point of view the Gradius ships' code would be quite useful for a Gradius fangame or something, same with the Twinbee/Parodius material.

With Super Mario Fusion 0.3.1 out of the way, can we be expecting a bugfix release for the existing issues at some point in the near future? Getting 100,000,000+ points and 100,000 medal values at Stage 1 from a previous Arcade run should fit in the "game breaking" category after all. :P
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

time for me to chime in

I actually LOVE that this is the MUGEN of shmups, don't know what all you kids are whining about DX

But if you are going to trim the roster... lets take a look at what stays and what goes....

stays: the original 4 ships, vic viper, zapdos (c'mon thats a sweet parody and you know it), golden bat

Goes: All the alts of fighters, like this lord british and whatnot, or that twinbee nonsense

This is the opinion of someone that is not a HARDCORE XTREEEEEEEEME shmup fan, many of you i'm sure have heard of all these characters in the game, I myself only know of a very small number of them.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

And here is the pared down Xeno Fighters R roster. I selected 16 of the most well-balanced ships.

What has been kept:
*Amada Vipros
*Phyxius
*Zaiva
*Xelcor
*Raiden mk-II
*Judge Spear
*Raiden mk-II β (no longer an alternate)
*Blue Javelin (no longer an alternate)
*Castor
*Pollux
*Vic Viper
*Miria
*Zapdos
*P-38
*Miyamoto
*X-36

What has been cut:
*Gyaraga/Hoplon
*Solvalou
*Lord British
*Falchion β
*Jade Knight
*Hikaru
*Michael
*Michelle H.
*E-75
*Zero fighter
*Twinbee

More is not better. Always remember that. Mushroom Kingdom Fusion is a prime example of this.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Now with that out of way, will you able to finally focus on level design Alluro? Also you possibly picked best of the best ships right there in the trimmed down roster.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Hmmm... I like that new roster, actually... Sad to see a couple of them go (Gyaraga and Solvalou were from pretty memorable games) but you're right - more is not always better.

Meanwhile, I noticed something about the stage progression - You mentioned that collecting all of the Micluses in an EX stage would take you to the next EX stage from there... You also mentioned that coming FROM an EX stage, the next regular stage would be a B stage. However, neither of these are happening for me - Coming out of Gemini Canyon, with all the Micluses, I was still sent to Stage 4-A.

(does using any continues make any difference?)
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

Hmmm, so unlockable ships like the planned golden bat will not be making an appearance?

I'll be honest I never played that game before but when I read it was going to be an unlockable ship when you beat the game on any difficulty, I got interested in what the golden bat was, and the searching took quite a lot longer than I expected. But when I found it I was actually a bit excited.

edit: also, more is always better, it's just a pain on the devs =) sorry alluro, i know your decision is only biased because you're a dev XD, i'd probably want to pull my hair out if I had to balance 20+ ships as well

as for mushroom kingdom fusion.... meh, not enough interesting characters. I only use roll 95% of the time anyways because she is unique and such, samus and kirby aren't even done yet, the only other character i'd want to use is firebrand. They should trim the cast to characters who can feasibly have multiple powerups and be unique with each one... so that means Roll, Kirby, Firebrand, Possibly samus, Mario just because mario (despite im tired of mario) and that is pretty much it
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

FoxReeveheart wrote:Hmmm, so unlockable ships like the planned golden bat will not be making an appearance?

edit: also, more is always better, it's just a pain on the devs =) sorry alluro, i know your decision is only biased because you're a dev XD, i'd probably want to pull my hair out if I had to balance 20+ ships as well
Sixteen ships is enough. Case closed.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Avalon wrote:Hmmm... I like that new roster, actually... Sad to see a couple of them go (Gyaraga and Solvalou were from pretty memorable games) but you're right - more is not always better.

Meanwhile, I noticed something about the stage progression - You mentioned that collecting all of the Micluses in an EX stage would take you to the next EX stage from there... You also mentioned that coming FROM an EX stage, the next regular stage would be a B stage. However, neither of these are happening for me - Coming out of Gemini Canyon, with all the Micluses, I was still sent to Stage 4-A.

(does using any continues make any difference?)
I don't think these are actually implemented yet. I too collected all of the Micluses in Gemini Canyon and ended up in 4-A instead of EX2 (no continues used). No big deal though, considering Arcade mode is currently glitched in several ways now that it'll probably be left till the WIP B-tier stages are completely finished before the full stage progression is implemented anyway.

Glad to see the X-36 remained, I thought that one would get the axe. Shame about Solvalou but no one like Xevious so I suppose that's okay considering far more useful ships remained. :P
kkusanagitw

Post by kkusanagitw »

umm...
so the another 16 fighters will be delete or be the hidden fighters in the next version?
and...no more new fighters in the next version?
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

kkusanagitw wrote:umm...
so the another 16 fighters will be delete or be the hidden fighters in the next version?
If you actually read what he said, they ARE deleted and won't appear in future versions no matter how much will you ask him to add them back. It's a final, cold and rough decision, deal with it.
ZacharyB

Post by ZacharyB »

Kaiser wrote:
kkusanagitw wrote:umm...
If you actually read what he said, they ARE deleted and won't appear in future versions no matter how much will you ask him to add them back. It's a final, cold and rough decision, deal with it.
Guy's first language is obviously not English; give him a break.

kkusanagitw, only 16 ships will be available. The rest are deleted.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

ZacharyB wrote:Guy's first language is obviously not English; give him a break.
"First language obviously not English" didn't stop half the forum from getting mad over someone with similar typing skills insulting a Cave game last fortnight. Kasier's just putting it honestly compared to that madness.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Okay, now to bring this back on topic...

Remember at one point I wanted to go as low as 12 ships after the roster trimming. Since some ships like the Strikers 1945 ones had work put in to balance them, they were included (the only one omitted was the Zero).

16 ships is still excessive from an arbitrary standpoint, but at least the 16 that remain are polished, balanced, and conform to the Raiden Fighters game mechanics.
Deadly Red Cube

Post by Deadly Red Cube »

Alluro wrote:Okay, now to bring this back on topic...

Remember at one point I wanted to go as low as 12 ships after the roster trimming. Since some ships like the Strikers 1945 ones had work put in to balance them, they were included (the only one omitted was the Zero).

16 ships is still excessive from an arbitrary standpoint, but at least the 16 that remain are polished, balanced, and conform to the Raiden Fighters game mechanics.
Sounds like you cut down to the number of ships that have already been polished nicely. That sounds like the right call to me - it's a good idea to pare down the design of a game to help get it to completion, but there's no sense cutting things that already work well.

This is a really fun shooter (I just played up until stage, uh, F-C, I think, until I hit ESC thinking it would pause it and having it reset instead. Doh). I played through 0.11 using, of course, the Vic Viper (as Gradius was always one of my favorites). Quite fun, quick pace.

I'll have to play some more with some other ships, but I had fun while it lasted! Great work :)
pc945

Post by pc945 »

I have played it since 0.11 beta published. It's so good! Actually, I like this shump style (Seibu/Psikyo) than the other one (Cave/Touhou), since my ship control is not good enough to make "micro step adjustment", I may get a couple of hits when I play a game of that style. :oops: But my reaction is good enough to dodge those popcorn enemies' or sniper enemies' bullets. :)

According to your (Alluro) "Stage Progression Chart", there will be 20 stages available in this game; however, we can only play 5~10 stages in a play, which depends on how we perform. Do you have a plan to make a "Full Run" mode? (In the Xbox 360 version of Raiden Fighters JET, it really has a "Full Run" mode, and we can play all the 12 stages including the final boss.) The full run route is: 1-2-3A-3B-4A-4B-EX1-5A-5B-5C-EX2-6A-6B-EX3-EX4-FA-EX5-FB-EX6-FC. If someone can clear the full run game above normal difficulty without any continues, he/she is a really pro! (Actually, the top the leader board of RFJ's full run mode only went to Real Battle Phase 2's boss (not final); there is no one on the leader board with "All Clear.")

And there is another question: Among the 16 fighters you decided to keep, which one has the high opportunity to "ultimate clear" the game without any continues? Can you give me a suggestion? :? :?: