Xeno Fighters R (2019 GM Studio Port)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
S20-TBL

Re: Xeno Fighters R (v0.10 Beta)

Post by S20-TBL »

@Alluro: D'oh! Amada Vipros, sorry. It's been so long I forgot. >_< Thanks though, so it's basically a snake-type object like the one in your sample GMK.
--Papilio v0.9 Beta now on itch.io! (development thread)--
Xyga wrote:Blondest eyelashes ever.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

S20-TBL wrote:so it's basically a snake-type object like the one in your sample GMK.
Think of a snail leaving behind a trail of slime. That's basically how the Amada's lasers work.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

Alluro wrote:Think of a snail leaving behind a trail of slime. That's basically how the Amada's lasers work.
Oh, I get it now. I had done a pair of projectiles which acted like that, but without manipulating the trail objects' image_angle variables and with a huge delay during "trail" generation. I'm going to test your method out, thanks! :)
AuraDRGN

Post by AuraDRGN »

Hey alluro could you make moltres and articuno's color less dark cuz their color is too dark
Tysavarin wrote:When playing other flight combat games, I think, "I COME FROM THE LAND OF ACE COMBAT, NOOOOBS!!!"
S20-TBL

Post by S20-TBL »

AuraDRGN wrote:Hey alluro could you make moltres and articuno's color less dark cuz their color is too dark
They were darkened because they caused a lot of confusion with the Zapdos sprite and made him hard to see.
FoxReeveheart

Post by FoxReeveheart »

because it's been a LONG time since anyone posted, bumping for great justice!

I still watch this for updates :)
JGcontraman

Post by JGcontraman »

Well made retro remake you got going on here. I feel right at home with this one just as I did when I played Raiden X. Not perfect though since its not entirely original and too familiar but gets the job done none the less. 4/5
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

JGcontraman wrote:Not perfect though since its not entirely original and too familiar but gets the job done none the less. 4/5
Yeah the fangame aspect and the heavy Raiden influence does not click with everyone.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Yo Alluro, resident noob here. (wait, does that makes sense?)

Can you PLE(...eeeeee)ASE post a 'work in progress' version of XFR (as in, after v0.10)? As I would like to see what's changed, what's new, etc. etc.

I am actually quite interested in how the stage progression is set up - Sometimes something simple like a shmup needs this kind of complexity every once in a while.

Also, on the changes you made to Miyamoto, I sorely hope he is difficult to unlock in the release version - I do quite well with him as he is now, compared to the other fighters.
kkusanagitw

Post by kkusanagitw »

Hi,Alluro
Can you add the new fighters in the next version of XFR?
Like...Game Tengoku-The game Paradise's ALL fighters?
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

kkusanagitw wrote:Hi,Alluro
Can you add the new fighters in the next version of XFR?
Like...Game Tengoku-The game Paradise's ALL fighters?
I am not adding any more fighters. Isn't 30+ fighters enough already?
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

The way this is going, I wouldn't be surprised if they're generally expecting a vessel select screen that looks like a refugee from a fully kitted-out MUGEN system...
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I don't disagree with either of your views, but I think it's clear not everyone agrees with the existing roster. I'm not so sure they help in giving that Seibu feeling considering there's like four ships from Seibu games and two-dozen from bullet-hell games or obstacle-based ones. I understand that the choices are largely based on personal preferences (which is cool) but I think it's having stuff like Twinbee and Parodius characters and oddball ones like Zapdos which is giving people the wrong impression ("there's a friggin pokemanz in xf why cant there b touhou/thunder force/aero fighters/ghandi fighters WTFBBQ").

Furthermore, in terms of actually having the ship slots in the menu, there's gaps there and some of the ships could be condensed (from a player point of view, I don't know how you do it program-wise) so that more ship slots are available, for example having the Lord British be the alternate of the Vic Viper, or the Parodius ships being their own alternates instead of having sprite edits of each of them and them taking up two slots.

30 fighters is quite a large amount though - *adding additional ones* or *making customisable slots ala MUGEN* is definitely not the solution as you already know.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

BPzeBanshee wrote:Furthermore, in terms of actually having the ship slots in the menu, there's gaps there and some of the ships could be condensed (from a player point of view, I don't know how you do it program-wise) so that more ship slots are available, for example having the Lord British be the alternate of the Vic Viper, or the Parodius ships being their own alternates instead of having sprite edits of each of them and them taking up two slots.
Good suggestions; further condensation (beyond a full grid of ships and two ships, main and alternate, for each grid space) could be obtained with a two-level menu: scroll vertically to change groups (listed as text: "Pokemon", "Raiden Fighters", "XF originals"...), display ships in the selected group in a side panel, and scroll horizontally to change ship within the current group. It could also work with two players (separate group selections and separate second level panels).
Such an arrangement would also be great for unlocking ships: both groups and ships within groups could be hidden without conspicuous empty spots in the grid.
Skyknight

Post by Skyknight »

Well, we at least know that the Wild Snail/Golden Bat from Battle Garegga is in, so that's one more non-manic vessel at least (possibly a second if my Scimitar/Sabre suggestion from Varth went through). Then again, I'm pretty sure I remember Alluro mentioning that the Biaxe from the Don Pachi series was in, so that's another in the "manic" category...
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

wizard from wiz as ship please
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
nZero

Post by nZero »

Twiddle wrote:wizard from wiz as ship please
Twiddle

Post by Twiddle »

also, 160mph sniper snails
so long and tanks for all the spacefish
unban shw
<Megalixir> now that i know garegga is faggot central i can disregard it entirely
<Megalixir> i'm stuck in a hobby with gays
RNGmaster

Post by RNGmaster »

If Alluro patches in Mohandas Gandhi, I'll give him all the money in my bank account.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

RNGmaster wrote:If Alluro patches in Mohandas Gandhi, I'll give him all the money in my bank account.
And if he will insist on doing that, you should do this to convince him:
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Any chance of a Megaupload mirror of the current release of XF-R Alluro?

I'd do it myself but all of my copies are messed up edits and I've had problems getting accounts with Megaupload in the past. Reason I ask is because I got a request at another forum thread for it.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

I just played this some more. I am not a huge fan of the Raiden games, but I do like this, so Alluro must have done something right, hehe.

Some things to perhaps think about:

Tiny detail bug: the shadows of animated stuff such as the options Gyraga sometimes gets tend to go off sync with the objects they belong to. Nothing too bad, just put me off slightly.

Another small thing: I think the rain in level 3-B is too in your face. The diagonal streaks are to opaque and too thick. They sometimes confused the shit out of me.

Not technically a bug or anything, but the sound those missiles or whatever Gyraga shoots make gets annoying really, really fast D: Could it not be changed to something less offensive to the ears? Or made a bit more silent?

And then a serious bug. For some reason, I dunno why, while playing the game Windows (on XP SP3) decided that shift was pressed. Once I got out of the game when tying stuff normally it would be capped. When I turned on caps it would be normal, but for selection and such shift would still be considered on which made navigating in explorer or whatever else pretty much almost impossible. So I basically had to restart. I have no clue whatsoever what could have caused this tho :/
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

ptoing wrote: For some reason, I dunno why, while playing the game Windows (on XP SP3) decided that shift was pressed. Once I got out of the game when tying stuff normally it would be capped. When I turned on caps it would be normal, but for selection and such shift would still be considered on which made navigating in explorer or whatever else pretty much almost impossible. So I basically had to restart. I have no clue whatsoever what could have caused this tho :/
That may be due to a Windows Accessibility feature. While you're on the Desktop, try this:

1. Press Left-SHIFT 5 times;
2. Hold Right-SHIFT for 8 seconds

If either of these activates an Accessibility Feature (your computer will 'beep' to tell you it has) you can turn them off.

In the Control Panel, open the Accessibility Options control. It may also be called "Ease Of Access Center" in newer Windows versions. Open the Settings for Sticky-Keys and Filter/Bounce Keys, and uncheck the boxes that say "Use this..." and "Use Keyboard Shortcut"

Hope that helps. :)

...Anyway, is there a status on how things are coming along with the next version? Possibly a release...?
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

I already turned those off and I am not even pressing shift at all in XFR.

I found out that it goes on and off with successive plays. No clear clue what triggers it still.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I've seen the weird capture of the SHIFT key happen myself on some models of computers. If it's anything like the other errors I was investigating this one's about as easy to find a fix for as the random crashes on Dell computers and "Error Defining External Function". In other words, nigh on impossible.
Try running another game that's made in Game Maker (GMOSSE, Aero Flux, Papilio and Shining Armour come to mind) and see if they do the same thing. If they do, it's not fixable. If they don't, it's probably not fixable anyway but at least the source will be narrowed down to something within the code and not within the IDE.

As for the rain effects in 3-B, I request that there be an option like how there was in XFEX to switch that off. If I'm right it's using particles which result in horrid performance on lesser machines that would otherwise handle the extensive sprite handling that the rest of the stages use.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

I have played a lot of Game Maker stuff, and never had this problem with anything else :/
It is not a huge deal tho overall. It can be reversed by just playing again and you see if it is shifted when you get to the name entry. Or if you go out of fullscreen and just type something somewhere else. A bit meh, but not gamebreaking.

There was a weird bug tho which happened to me on level 1 after i beat the boss. I paused when the boss had already exploded and when I unpaused the game just kept running in that level and never went to level 2.

EDIT:

I singled out the problem. It switches every time you press Z and ENTER at the same time. As in pausing while you shoot. Perhaps this can help fix it. I also tried it with holding X and ENTER at the same time which was a lot worse. Weird shit happens and eventually I could not input ANYTHING at all. Had to reboot. I dunno if it just happens with Z and X but I doubt it. I guess it just might be whatever is set to shot and bomb, have not tried. It is weird anyway. Perhaps it is an odd bug in GM itself or something. Perhaps trying to not have pause on ENTER might fix it. Just a shot in the dark.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Hmmm...

Well, the bug that appears when you pause the game while a boss is exploding, is known already... But it seems you may be onto something...

I happen to have quite a few games made with GM, from here and other places. Now, while I know absolutely nothing about Game Maker itself, I do know that the resulting games are mostly stable - except for one random little flaw that never fails to come out in the game, different for each one... Strange.

Perhaps there may be a problem in the engine itself... But before I can test it out with my other GM games, I would have to know more about "what happens" when the bosses in this game die, and then try to recreate the bug elsewhere. Does the game post an activity log somewhere I didn't think of looking?
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Not that I know. It makes an error log, if an error happens. But the boss thing is not parsed as an error, I guess some function just gets dropped for some reason.
Avalon

Post by Avalon »

Well, I did at least verify that it's not just any boss that does this - It also happened to the boss in 5-A and the one in 6-B as well. The boss for all of these stages at the moment is the same one - a placeholding Techno-Ayako - so that must be the culprit there.

I was unable to duplicate your problem with the SHIFT key though...

Also, I agree with the annoyance of the sound Gyraga makes sometimes (and the sound for Phoenix is many times worse!). I also think Gyraga is a bit broken... Sometimes I just let leftover M/L powerups pool up a bit, so when I lose my double-fighter I just dive into the pile and get one back.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Yeah, I feel that some ships are a bit overpowered. Miyamoto as well. I think that perhaps the amount of max bomb stock could be different for each ship. So that stronger ships can not stock 7 bombs or whatnot.