More bullet patterns for you guys to look at (.rar'ed video)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ForteMP3

More bullet patterns for you guys to look at (.rar'ed video)

Post by ForteMP3 »

Okay, time for another look at some of my work folks, I'm trying to make a more balanced manic first boss for Cavadius, and today's candidate is the in progress Big Core MkI Kai (Sprites are from Nemesis 90 Kai)

This guy relies far less on random fire, and much more on set patterns. The basic idea with this first boss is that the player will be given choices. For example, the first pattern...You can...

A-Fly in the somewhat closed in, but less covered in bullets area directly ahead of the Core. This area will leave you vulnerable to large blue lasers and small pink needles (The needles aim at you regardless though)

B-Risk flying on the outer edges, where you'll be clear from the bigger lasers, but then have to deal with large clusters of both Small and Medium size Diamond Bullets.

The other patterns are still being worked on. Ignore that quick burst of Diamond Bullets that fires in Pattern #2, it's not working right yet.

Pattern#3 (The quad laser line attack followed by criss crossing Needles and a web of MASSIVE diamond bullets) is still being worked on. Right now, it's dogable, but it's VERY hard to avoid (At least for me).

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/fortemp3 ... stboss.rar

COPY AND PASTE LINK. CLICKING ON IT DOES NOT WORK.

Sorry for the low quality video, smallest I could get it using fraps. Making it a WMV wouldn't help, because that would mess up the ratio (The video would horizontally stretch, and that looks UGLY with a vert shmup)
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

what codec did you compress the movie? I can't play it.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I can't play it either. I have the latest divx installed.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Okay, got a new video up, this one should work on any computer with a modern version of Media Player installed.

Check my homepage's downloads for the video, it's a .wmv and approx 2.5mb.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Hey, that looked fun. The ship invulnerability period after dying felt really long, though. Some five seconds or so.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Right on the money my friend, the invulnerability time is 5 seconds. A bit long, but I needed to do something to balance out the fact you'll need to re-power up after dying (Aside from Options, which you can retrieve).
landshark

Post by landshark »

That looks really cool, but I have to say that I really hope this is a loop 2 or 3 difficulty level.
ForteMP3

Post by ForteMP3 »

Actually, this is normal difficulty.

Does it really seem that difficult? This is really my first attempt at a manic shooter, so I'm having trouble figuring out how to have both a large number of bullets and a fair amount of chances to dodge them.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I don't think the pattern looked too difficult...there seemed to be large enough gaps between individual bullets for some old-fashioned freeform dodging.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
landshark

Post by landshark »

Depends who you are targetting. To veteran shmupers, this is going to look like pure fun.

Outside that, casual players may turn away.