About Cavadius' bosses.. (Trying to get some ideas/opinions)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
ForteMP3

About Cavadius' bosses.. (Trying to get some ideas/opinions)

Post by ForteMP3 »

This one's mainly for Gradius fans. Seeing as Cavadius is somewhat Gradius type Fangame (Using the Gradius universe/powerup system, but with a vertical manic shooter approach) I planned to have a few old bosses make appearances in the game. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any specific bosses they'd like to see make comebacks. Be warned that like Gradius V, they'll be back mainly in appearance; I plan to give any returning bosses a variety of new tricks to make them more interesting.

I hope to have some original bosses as well, but that'll depend on if I can do any decent sprite edits...

Anyway, here's some of the returning bosses I was thinking of using:Want one that's not on the list? Let me know!

Big Core-...You can't have Gradius without the original model.

Tetran-This guy's tentacle arms have given me some great ideas, I'm already coming up with ways to have a boss fight against Tetran be far more than a simple 'Fly around the tentacles and shoot the core when you can' approach.

Big Core MkIII-His encaging lasers also have some great manic potential. I can see far more than a simple pair of reflect lasers being all you have to worry about while trapped between two large beams...

Covered Core-I'm not sure what I'd do with him yet, but I'm sure I could come up with a variety of bullet/missile patterns to make this an interesting fight.

As for some original boss fights, I have a couple ideas in mind so far, but nothing rock solid just yet. I was writing up a plan file for a 'regular' Gradius fangame as well, though that has yet to get any programming/work done on it, I was thinking of taking a few of my boss ideas from it for original bosses. Here's a few I've thought of...

Frozen Core-Similar to a Big Core, only portions of it are covered in ice. While it has some normal laser attacks, it can also fire ice attacks that temporarily freeze Vic Viper in place. Similar to Medusa from Sexy Parodius, I suppose.

Drill Core-A Big Core designed for mining purposes, equipped with two forward mounted drills and a variety of weapons that are just as effective for taking out a Hyper Space Fighter as they are at digging/excavating. Things like bombs, narrow laser beams, drill missiles, that kinda stuff.

Zombie Core-This would be an unusual one, I think I might have accidentally altered my state of mind while coming up with this it. Basically, imagine a wrecked Big Core with barely any of its 'body' left. To replace its lost body, it uses parts of other types of Big Cores, resulting in a hideous mass of several different parts of different bosses. Obviously, it would have an interesting mix of attacks to accomodate its hideous form.
YOU ARE APPROACHING THE TARGET OF ATTACK! THE MISSION STARTS NOW! ARE YOU READY?!
EddyMRA

Re: About Cavadius' bosses.. (Trying to get some ideas/opini

Post by EddyMRA »

ForteMP3 wrote:
Zombie Core-This would be an unusual one, I think I might have accidentally altered my state of mind while coming up with this it. Basically, imagine a wrecked Big Core with barely any of its 'body' left. To replace its lost body, it uses parts of other types of Big Cores, resulting in a hideous mass of several different parts of different bosses. Obviously, it would have an interesting mix of attacks to accomodate its hideous form.
I have the perfect name for this boss: Manti-Core.

A manticore is a mythological creature with the body of a red lion, the face and ears of a blue eyes human and a tail ending in a sting like that of a scorpion. It perfectly describes your boss, which uses different parts of different bosses.

Another boss you could use is Beacon, the five-core boss in the speed zone of Gradius III which shoots bouncing cores at you.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.