Shmup sprite packs...?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
LamptonWorm

Shmup sprite packs...?

Post by LamptonWorm »

Hi,

Does anyone know if there are any shmup sprite packs out there? Not ripped stuff btw...

Cheers :)
Fost

Post by Fost »

Are you looking for something you can use legally in homegrown shmups? Or for specific game sprites? (Actually, this might be semi-oibvious from your no rips comment :wink: - I just wasn't sure exactly what you are after)
Nick Moonpod Games
Have an Arcade near you? List its games at the Arcade Locator
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Reiner's Tilesets are free, even for commercial games. Not much for shmup stuff, but some of the backgrounds might be useful.
LamptonWorm

Post by LamptonWorm »

Hi,

I was after stuff you could use legally. I'm not quite at a stage where I need to worry too much about graphics, so I just thought I'd see what options where there for later down the line. I came up with...

- do them myself
- buy them
- find free ones
- ask someone else to do them

I might just use coloured blocks, afterall playability is the most important thing :)

Cheers.
Blade

Post by Blade »

Amen to the do-it-yourself comment.

You can get started here in learning how best to do it.

What I like to do, personally, since I'm doing my own Shmup project as well, is to Draw Big, and then shrink it down to a reasonable size using Bilinear Resampling and the image turns out great and you can clean up whatever you feel needs more detail.
The world would be a better place if there were less shooters and more dot-eaters.

Jesus' BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS:
1. Pure, Mournful, Humble Heart
2. Merciful Peacemaker
3. Suffer for Righteous Desire
Super Mega C

Post by Super Mega C »

Since there's so many people here doing their own shmups do any of you know any good equations and such for getting the points along a vector, for bullets and projectiles fired and various angles across the screen. I've been playing a lot of Gunbird2 on the DC and I'm courious about whay kinds of formulas they use to make all those goovy bullet patterns.
Button masher extrordinaire
"and on the eighth day, he stopped resting"
raiden

Post by raiden »

I've been playing a lot of Gunbird2 on the DC and I'm courious about whay kinds of formulas they use to make all those goovy bullet patterns.
I think you should start a new thread for this, and to go practical, add examples of which bullet patterns you are talking about. A small .avi file consisting of just the pattern would be ideal, but for people who know the game a screenshot would probably suffice. The topic has no link to "shmup sprite packs", though.
fog

Post by fog »

Hi Lampton Worm,

I'm all in favour of the use temporary coloured blocks method.....and then just leave them in :)

Limefly have a few but not many

or there's a very simply tut to get you started.
LamptonWorm

Post by LamptonWorm »

Cool, thanks.
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

I also saw a link to an open-source sprite set that includes some free shmup sprites HERE
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen