My first "real" game

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Gombolo

My first "real" game

Post by Gombolo »

EDIT:

I'm excited to announce that a demo version of my computer game is now available for Windows! I would love to hear your feedback and comments about the game. Enjoy trying it out!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i program in my spare time...am not a professional developer, but also not a passionate shmups player. :D

Nevertheless, once a long time ago a game had managed to pull me under its spell. The game was called cho-ren-sha...

This game was my inspiration for an own shmup in 3D. Since one year I'm working on it. I would like to show you how far I am and get some opinions.

There is not much to show yet, but I need some motivation.... :wink:

https://oyname.itch.io/first-strike
Browser Version -> https://oyname.itch.io/fs-demo
https://youtu.be/GZgDaq6_3QA
Last edited by Gombolo on Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.
SG-Glendon

Re: My first "real" game

Post by SG-Glendon »

Looks pretty cool. You still working on it? Made any more progress?
I like making stuff. Music, graphics, and now trying games... Wish me luck.
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

yes sure the development continues... :)

i want to finish the game...on itch.io you can follow the development...

Or on youtube you can watch some videos

The gameplay is 90% complete. The levels and the bosses are missing. I am working alone on this project and it is more elaborate than I thought :)

I hope to upload a demo version soon. I am looking forward to your feedback...

Boss Stage 2
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

how important is a background.

I mean planets, debris and stuff like that?
Ark

Post by Ark »

For me

A background can be used for a couple things.

Positives:
A background can tell a story and show progress in a game.
A background can create an interesting scenario and break up a monotone feeling.

Negative:
A background can be a distraction to the foreground, if its too busy and blends with foreground.
A background has to work within the game (theme) you are creating, and can not deviate from the art style unless its intentional.
This would break immersion and become a distraction to the user.

A great example of background use is RayForce
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

Ark wrote: A background can be a distraction to the foreground, if its too busy and blends with foreground
this is my problem...I have tried a few backgrounds...and it is not good.

i was about to stop putting in a background...but i'll take a look at RayForce.
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

Gombolo wrote:how important is a background.

I mean planets, debris and stuff like that?
Backgrounds are highly encouraged but complex ones aren’t necessarily required.

Functionally, backgrounds can be a core component of a shmup’s level design. Unique background stage elements can serve as a visual aid to the player, helping them keep track of stage progression and associate visual landmarks with enemy placements. This can aid the player in their mental routing. E.g. a player could remember that ‘boat’ enemies will appear in the part of the stage when they see the ocean and position themselves to combat them. In many games the background is essentially a game element by design: Any Garegga player will tell you that you can predict some of Blackheart’s attacks by looking to where the horizontal ‘center’ of the cloud canyon background is.

The pursuit of aesthetics generally favours visually appealing backgrounds. With the exception of ChoRenSha, most every game in the top 25 shmups of all time list has unique level backgrounds. A well designed background can go a long way in giving a game character.
Ark wrote:Negative:
A background can be a distraction to the foreground, if its too busy and blends with foreground.
A background has to work within the game (theme) you are creating
These points are valid; and more visually complex backgrounds require more time and effort to create them. However, Even a minimal, infinitely-repeating pattern background like ChoRenSha uses is usually preferable over no visual elements and just solid black behind the foreground (with exceptions, like GameBoy shmups or games of the late 70’s proto-shmups variety using very limited color pallets). I've seen freeware dojin games get away with a basic repeating grid background quite nicely, so I'd typically recommend some sort of visual bg element.
At the end of the day, if your game is set in space, it ought to be easy enough to add basic white dots for stars - even computer space had those.
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

Verticen wrote:...A well designed background can go a long way in giving a game character.
I think every developer dreams of... :)

however it's true that it makes extra work. I have once a planet in the background and it moves slowly through the game. It doesn't look bad...

https://oyname.itch.io/first-strike/dev ... background
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

I'm excited to announce that a demo version of my computer game is now available for Windows! I would love to hear your feedback and comments about the game. Enjoy trying it out!

https://oyname.itch.io/first-strike
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

Hello everyone! I have created a browser-based version of my game. It's the first level, and I would love to receive your feedback on it. In this game, you can control the spaceship using the arrow keys. Press the 'Y' key to shoot and the 'X' key to activate a bomb (qwertz).

take me to the game
Last edited by Gombolo on Tue May 30, 2023 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'm not sure what keyboard layout you're used to, but I can't think of one that uses X and Y together. I'd recommend mappings be player configurable, and also using a default that features the keys placed together (such as Z X C as is common on QWERTY layout keyboards).
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:I'm not sure what keyboard layout you're used to, but I can't think of one that uses X and Y together. I'd recommend mappings be player configurable, and also using a default that features the keys placed together (such as Z X C as is common on QWERTY layout keyboards).
You are right, but I have also built in a way to customize the assignment of the buttons in the configuration.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Just had a chance to play it properly. The remapping is appreciated and works fine. The button mashing, however, I could do without. For a game that translated to Super Rapid Fire, having to mash to shoot was always a bit iffy.

It appears to be a clone of CRS68k, right down to the explosion happening in the middle of nowhere in space. It's a good showcase that you're able to program effects and whatnot, even if it's unfortunate that it's a clone of CRS68k right down to enemies, patterns, bullets, how bombs and powerups work, even the suction effect by sitting inside the ring of 3 powerups. Still, it's a good display of your skills, you just gotta put your own spin on it. As far as elements that aren't carried over properly from CRS68k:

• The invulnerability time you get from being hit with a shield or using a bomb is way too short.

• There's no indicator you have a shield, unlike CRS68k which makes your ship turn purple.

• You don't appear to be able to ram into enemies to damage them like you can in CRS68k when you're invulnerable.

• The explosion effects are so large and bright that they obscure bullets at times.
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

Thank you for playing the game and for your comments on the game.

CRS68k was the first shmup game I ever played (see my first post). Although I'm not usually a shmup player, I've always really liked this game. That was a few years ago, and I've always wanted to recreate the game myself.

I will try to implement your suggestions into the game, especially the idea of changing colors when collecting the shield power-up.

Regarding the overly bright explosions, I must say that it's due to the color calculation in WebGL. The original game (Windows version) can be downloaded from here: https://oyname.itch.io/first-strike

Youtube: Boss Stage 2
RUOK

Post by RUOK »

Thanks for making this game. I tried the browser version, I like the sprites you are using, lovely and detailed. They almost look like gundams.

Ship also looks good and I like the bullet speed.

I would say a few things in support of your efforts. Having the enemies fly down to the screen very fast, this annoys the player as it is hard to see coming. I would avoid this perhaps. Game maybe needs a focus mode too or some work on ship speed in general.
Gombolo

Post by Gombolo »

Thank you so much for your positive feedback and for trying out my game! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the graphics, especially the detailed sprites. The comparisons to Gundams are truly flattering and mean a lot to me, as they served as a significant inspiration.

Your praise for the ship and bullet speed also brings me great joy and serves as strong motivation to continue working on the game.

I take your constructive suggestions seriously. I understand that the rapid downward movement of enemies can impact the gaming experience, and I will promptly look into this. Adjustments may be made to enhance the experience for everyone.

I'm constantly working to optimize the game, and your feedback is incredibly valuable in this process.

Once again, thank you for your support and the time you invested in playing my game.
FriesForLife

Post by FriesForLife »

Hi, just played your game for a bit.
I like the art and the smoothness of the game and also the look of the bullets. The enemies flying in quickly are a bit janky, but other than that I liked it. Having auto fire would be nice(I was mashing my keyboard pretty hard!). The boss was cool, like the ideas.