Which music genres fit shmups better as bgm?

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
qmish

Which music genres fit shmups better as bgm?

Post by qmish »

Something I think about from time to time.

Sure, one can say "just use whatever you want", but...
I feel like music should have certain qualities to "make sense" in context e.g. being used as stage bgm or boss battle audio.

Would love to hear opinions on this from both "players" and "devs" (including "musicians")

:mrgreen:
qmish

Re: Which music genres fit shmups better as bgm?

Post by qmish »

I think you really can't have something like typical song, where dynamics are changing between parts of it, for bgm purpose.
Yeah like all those rock songs where first half is quiet acousting chords then 2nd part is pumpy electric riffs and drums come in.
For bgm, you need something that is "constant", so either you have a part that is "monolithic" in it's dynamics and loop it, or have it all being monotonous as the whole.

:idea:
heli

Post by heli »

You dont need a music genre,
just music without special-fx,
and without sudden stops.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I've always been fond of the way Ikaruga segments its stages and music together, even though the synth orchestra texture doesn't do much for me on its own.

I suppose it somewhat fits into the mentioned rock song structure, where the first movement is a soaring prelude that plays over the opening waves as the ship flies into the combat zone, then transitions into a more location-appropriate piece in sync with the haiku booster charge, marking the beginning of the stage proper. Altogether, very cohesive and experience-enhancing.

Genre-wise, my preference lies somewhere between screaming Tecnosoft guitar and the driving electronic tracks of latter-day Dodonpachi like Niji. Electronica is a terrifyingly wide net, so I'll not try to guess the subgenre on that one :lol:

Though really, I think the most important thing is that a given genre is able to host qualities that resonate with what's happening onscreen. It gets into vague artsy emotional experience territory, but things like the feelings of speed and flight are an easy pull for shmups - anything that can double down on the work's visual and mechanical themes, thus further pushing players into the flow state.

Despite being a remix, this sweet 80s synth version of the Kyukyoku Tiger theme is a good example; listening to it, little imaginative work is needed for it to conjure up visions of a cool attack copter taking off and flying into battle. It probably owes a large part of that to the cultural echoes of Airwolf and the accompanying 80s synth that ended up resurging as vaporwave, but point being that it hits the thematic nail squarely on the head.

And, maligned as it may be, Touhou has some interesting stuff in that sense too - certain tracks like Reach for the Moon and the terminally-memed U.N. Owen pair the ebb and flow of the onscreen bullet hell with a chaotic push-pull composition that serves to further intensify the moment. Powerful stuff if employed correctly.
qmish

Post by qmish »

heli wrote:You dont need a music genre,
just music without special-fx,
and without sudden stops.
Yeah, I mean that most "not really aimed at being a BGM" music like your average rock ballads or jazz or whatever, have too much pauses/empty moments and/or incostancy in volume levels or used timbres
heli

Post by heli »

You also have to fit everything in 2 minutes, so no build ups either.
Like you only have to play the best part of your song.
In my game there are 2 checkpoints so the music change a bit after 1 minute.
You make the music and adjust the game a bit.

level 1 more happy.
level 2 irritating.
level 3 deep.
level 4 very relaxed.

like that i try to
Ark

Post by Ark »

The theme and style of the game will most likely dictate the type of music a person will end up using.
A Ketsui style song may feel out of place with a Twinbee game, since they have wildly different art styles, themes, and tones.
I think that any music that creates an atmosphere that fits or enhances the theme of a scrolling background/environment.
Lander

Post by Lander »

I'd totally play a moribund Twinbee deconstruction with Ketsui's musical and story themes.

[Insert photoshop of miserable Alice with a Twinbee face here]
SG-Glendon

Post by SG-Glendon »

This is a really interesting question. A couple years ago I decided I was going to learn how to make a game. And so I started learning all the things. One was writing music.

What I've learned so far is that a higher BPM and a more dense (dense meaning more notes with less space between them or more instruments, etc.(arrangement will add "energy" to the track. But if the level is a slower pace then lower the density and BPM for that level's track.

And on Boss fights, I found that I really liked distorted guitars and minor chords. Still do the higher BPM and density too so it feels like a threat to fight the boss.
I like making stuff. Music, graphics, and now trying games... Wish me luck.
thiago.kadooka

Post by thiago.kadooka »

Since i made some games myself, i always thought that fast pacing music was always the answer for this type of game, but them, i was playing R-Type Leo, and the music its more chill (even if actually a little fast paced, it isnt agressive). So for example, a space shooter, i can see a more atmospheric music, traveling in space, destroying some spaceships, and chilling its actually a good vibe.

My current game is all cool and mostly chill tracks as you explore the space, and battle some enemies as well.