SHMUP Creator: build and blast (trailer and steam store)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Verticen

Re: SHMUP Creator: build and blast

Post by Verticen »

I, too, would like to voice my interest in seeing this project released - looks rlly cool. Do you have a timeline estimate when we may be able to get our hands on an open beta or such? I'm looking heavily into stg dev at the moment and would rlly like to give this a spin.

I haven't had a chance to scower through the updates and all the forum posts, but as a 3d engine what sort of capability do you think we can expect? I saw that particles and shaders will be available. Also, can we get an estimate on how many frames of input lag we can expect?
Also, will this engine have easy 'Tate' mode support? (It is a stg engine, so it rlly should imo)
suny

Re: SHMUP Creator: build and blast

Post by suny »

This is a tool as well as an engine, and the goal is still to allow untechnical people to make shmups and have fun. It will not be the perfect shmup engine, (yet!).

This is a V1, and there will be room for improvements: there is no particle editor for now (you need to write a simple script) but I will add one later. You can edit materials, but not shaders.
The 3D engine is not PS5 unreal quality, but you can make games close to Natsuki chronicles with it (or the last 3D R-Type).
I started a tate mode a long time ago, but it needs more work and will not be part of the V1.

It will definitely be released this year. It's hard for me to find enough time to make a lot of progress every week, but it's almost there. And I'm going to release a trailer in a few weeks.
S.
suny

Re: SHMUP Creator: build and blast (trailer and steam store)

Post by suny »

Hi everybody!
The trailer and steam page are live!
After so much work, I'm so happy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289 ... P_Creator/
If you are interested in this project, please wishlist!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzFe_yundMY
S.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Very exciting; congrats on making it this far!
I can't recall, but will coders be able to use scripts/extensions to add to the base product?
suny

Post by suny »

Code: Select all

I can't recall, but will coders be able to use scripts/extensions to add to the base product?
Not for now.
S.
wht11

Post by wht11 »

Is in-game Replay saving planned?
suny

Post by suny »

Yesterday was Gradius Day!
It's the 36th anniversary of this game, which is the reason I'm working on my project.

I created part of one of Gradius level with the SHMUP Creator: it was fun and pretty quick.

https://youtu.be/E3hm_zXjLxo

S.
invent

Post by invent »

Congratulations and I have just added this to my wishlist on Steam :)

The latest video showing off the engine is awesome. Will be very interesting to see what people do with this new engine, maybe games you never expected to be designed.
suny

Post by suny »

OCTOBER UPDATE

It’s been a long time since the last update!
We were very busy during the summer: work, holidays, personal life…
Progress has been steady but slow.

LAST FEATURES AND BUG FIXING:
We fixed a lot of bugs, created new ones (yeah, it’s a never-ending story…) and added the last features. There are now a lot more controls for custom special effects and explosions.
There is also a new feature allowing users to create a parallax scrolling with 5 planes in a few clicks.
We also added a lot of bullet patterns to help users learn and understand how to create their own:

We also added new weapons presets and a lot of Touhou-like bullet patterns. We hope it will help users understand how to create great patterns with the visual Weapon editor!

OPTIMIZATIONS:
The SHMUP Creator is now compiled in 64 bits and I also optimized a lot of things in the engine and the editor. Some parts of it, like translating objects, are a lot faster.

NEXT:
I still have 4 or 5 crashes to fix before the end of this year, and they are quite difficult ones… We also need to complete two new in-game tutorials as well as the music of the 2D example game.

You can –>> Wishlist the SHMUP Creator <<– on steam if you like!

See you!
S.
suny

Post by suny »

This is an example of what the SHMUP Creator can do with 2D games.
There are a lot of things in this level: secrets, mid-bosses, several player weapons, as well as a lot of cinematic events, sound effects, multi-directional scrolling...

Everything is done in the editor, without any coding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N29aLpEevL4

S.
suny

Post by suny »

SHMUP Creator 3D example game!

Blade of Death is an example of what the SHMUP Creator can do in 3D.
This tribute to Under defeat shows real-time lighting and shadows, particles effects, and enemies and backgrounds using 3D assets.

Wishlist: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1289520/SHMUP_Creator/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwvomQOh0Mg

S.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This is lookjng really impressive, nice work :)

I'm curious, is it possible to mimic slowdown when certain bullet thresholds are reached, or events triggered (boss explosion, for instance?)
9uile

Post by 9uile »

If this product was out 5 years ago, it's sure that i never learned unity !
Do you have an idea of the final price ?
suny

Post by suny »

I'm curious, is it possible to mimic slowdown when certain bullet thresholds are reached, or events triggered (boss explosion, for instance?)
No, you can't. Those games were developed on a certain hardware (the ps2, an arcade board...) and so those slowdowns are always consistant. But what about a game on PC using a gfx card? Everyone has a different one.
I would need to fake those slowdowns.
That being said, it's doable, and is an interesting idea.
If this product was out 5 years ago, it's sure that i never learned unity !
Do you have an idea of the final price ?
To be honest, this product was supposed to be out 5 years ago :/

As for the price, still not sure.
Less than 70 euros, more than 30?
S.
Leander

Post by Leander »

suny wrote: I would need to fake those slowdowns.
That being said, it's doable, and is an interesting idea.
I did mean faking it :)
If anyone wants to make a bullet hell game then I'm sure this feature would be very useful.
suny

Post by suny »

Yes, faking it, it could be possible :)

We tried to make some Bullet hell tests with the SHMUP Creator:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsS6CTlBlZk

S.
markikav

Post by markikav »

hi Suny
Looks like this tool will also help novices understand the mechanics, design and things to consider when building a shmup? so your price point I think if less than 70 will be great value.. There are no books or none that I know of were you can learn this as a hobby, there are some great youtube vids such as Electric Underground with danbo and boghog talking about euroshmups or HG101 books or you can learn I guess just by playing tons of games..
Even if you did one of those udemy courses for unity or gamemaker etc you would learn very basic stuff for the typical beginner game.

But this will be great really looking forward to your full release..
Alec44

Post by Alec44 »

The shmupcreator is simple to use, and simple things can be done easily ! With experience it can be use a step higher and complex (and crazy) things can be done with imagination !

the autor can be proud !
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Will it be possible to do some things procedurally in Shmup Creator? Holding my thumbs, since this is the only kind of shmup that interests me these days, not only that levels are randomized, but rather than certain elements within levels are randomized to some degree, like in parsec47 and noiz2sa, for example.
Barba

Post by Barba »

Eyvah_Ehyeh wrote:do some things procedurally
No idea about how shmup creator handles things, but this must be the ultimate solitary opinion ever :wink:

Proceduralism is so universally hated in shmups that it's almost a meme.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Yeah for sure it's a "hot take". But I do believe, if I remember correctly, that the person who has the highest expert score in Parsec47 had that game as their favorite shmup. Not sure what other shmups they had dipped their toes in, but I mean they were on these forums, if nothing else. Perhaps they would enjoy more procedurality in shmups as well. And of course Kenta Cho, who made a bunch of procedural heavy shmups and arcade style games, would perhaps also enjoy them more than the standard fare memorization heavy entries, since they hardly made their games because of any external motivation such as money/market demands.
suny

Post by suny »

Will it be possible to do some things procedurally in Shmup Creator? Holding my thumbs, since this is the only kind of shmup that interests me these days, not only that levels are randomized, but rather than certain elements within levels are randomized to some degree, like in parsec47 and noiz2sa, for example.
No, the SC is mainly designed as a level editor. I have a plan to add some form of AI for the enemies in the future (seek, evade...), and I'm thinking of a way to spawn things with rules, but I'm not sure of how to handle that in a general way.
Could you please elaborate on the kind of things you would like to randomize?
S.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

You know I'd love to be able to tell you what I would want to randomize, but honestly I'm not even sure myself, just because I don't even know how the games I mentioned really work, under the hood. I mean bullets seem to go faster with time, more point clouds are spawned on higher difficulties, and there's probably a system for what exactly randomized, and how, but I don't find it very clear. Obviously there are like a certain amount of enemies that are spawned, not more, not less, and when medium enemies spawn, there's only one of them spawning at a time, and they have different bullet patterns from small enemies, and small enemies have like 10-20 different possible bullet patterns but I don't know if certain of those combinations aren't possible together, or if it's completely random which bullet patterns get combined during a segment of a level. These are all things I would enjoy playing around though, and like if two combinations of bullet patterns on the turrets of a boss would turn out to be too difficult for whatever reason, then removing that possibility, would be a thing to do, in the name of balance, and the same thing if it would be too easy. Many considerations to be made, I'm sure, but it would be fun to play around with.
suny

Post by suny »

Thanks!
I was thinking of a similar thing when trying https://store.steampowered.com/app/1702 ... r_Remixed/ recently.
Out of scope for now, but that's interesting.
S.
Eyvah_Ehyeh

Post by Eyvah_Ehyeh »

Hey that game seems cool, will check it out since the admission fee is quite low. :) But yeah I understand procedurality isn't a priority since I'm basically the only person interested in it. Oh well, let's wait another ten years, and maybe what's popular at the time will change, in my favor. :D
Alec44

Post by Alec44 »

procedural with shmupcreator....?
Ye, it can be done but with tricks (collision, triggers etc...) but personnaly i don't like procedural things in video games expecially in shmups !
qmish

Post by qmish »

Congratulations with release! Finally it came to life!

8)
suny

Post by suny »

Thanks a lot!
Still a bumpy ride, but I'm impressed with the creations of some users after only a few days.

By the way, we have a Discord channel:
https://discord.gg/rBzRUpS

And a review in 4gamers.net :)
https://www.4gamer.net/games/622/G062260/20220316097/

S.
eckart

Post by eckart »

Great stuff! Bought it!
Is it possible to convert the game later to android or ios?
Greets
suny

Post by suny »

Is it possible to convert the game later to android or ios?
I wanted to, but right now the SC market is way too small.

2 shmup projects for the Bullet hell game jam were done with the SHMUP Creator: you can try them!

Project V:

https://itch.io/jam/bullet-hell-jam-2022/rate/1500597

Crimson Hell:

https://itch.io/jam/bullet-hell-jam-2022/rate/1501312

S.