Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:32 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: A Milliion Conquests. - in development
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:36 am 

Hi!

After some time working in my engine + game + almost all i've come up with something that seems is going forward, and something I'm happy with.

I share here so I can gather some "fresh feedback" as I'm too much used to the game itself. In this trailer it doesn't show so much enemies but I'm checking if this is a graphic level that you may see acceptable for a commercial game.

as I'm solo developer (as most of you here), some times I could lose perspective.

Video Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2r97_Cf7Xo

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A Milliion Conquests. - in development
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:18 pm 

It looks decent!
The ship movement is awful though, is that analogue movement or inertia? You want it to be precise 1:1 start/stop digital movement.

I would change the play area to something more narrow. If you are going to use the full screen, make the ships really fast so you can have players whizzing from one side of the screen to the other to reach oncoming enemies quickly and add a focus button so they can slow their ship down for more precise dodging through dense bullet patterns.

I really like the look of it, looks like it's got great potential!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:51 pm 

I love the visual style of the game, it's very competent. Agreed on ship movement, I'm guessing it uses analog sticks? While that works for some games, I'm not sure it's a good idea for something like this. It generally rarely is for "classic" shooters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 pm 

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes the controls are digital but at the moment "unity adds" some inertia to it. I've to work on it better but the controls will be 1:1 as you say.

I want to challenge myself to use all area of the screen. I've detected that using some patterns and movement side to side (like blocking with obstacles one side of the screen) and so, it could be narrowed but not constrainted.

That will be part of the level design challenge.

Thanks! I was challenging the visual style at the moment ! :) I'm glad you liked it! ^_^.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:42 am 

Darckonte wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes the controls are digital but at the moment "unity adds" some inertia to it. I've to work on it better but the controls will be 1:1 as you say.

I want to challenge myself to use all area of the screen. I've detected that using some patterns and movement side to side (like blocking with obstacles one side of the screen) and so, it could be narrowed but not constrainted.

That will be part of the level design challenge.

Thanks! I was challenging the visual style at the moment ! :) I'm glad you liked it! ^_^.

Looks like a good start. Widescreen vertical shmups can be slightly challenging to make, but you can look at examples like Mars Matrix or Snops Attack to see how they used all the screen space and kept things interesting.

For movement what you want to do is set the object's XY location yourself, relying on the engine for movement will almost always result in some kind of acceleration or smoothing, which annoys shmup players.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:56 am 

Keep building it out, but here's a few suggestions.

Tightening up player movement. It looks like is has some acceleration on it, possibly owing to reading inputs as floats+analog stick. Or perhaps you're using physics for movement? Don't do either.

Just on/off, 1/0 for movement. Nobody wants inertia/accel in shooters. This is extremely simple though so It's not a big deal to implement.

Maybe tone down the bloom effects. Lighting effects can definitely add some flare but beware of smudging up those crisp pixels too much.

Go bonkers with bullets and collectibles and a ton of crazy stuff going on in the screen and you won't have to worry about making your backgrounds all that interesting.

I know it's a battle, but just build it up bit by bit!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:00 pm 

hey man

If unity is "adding" some inertia - try the following:

1. Go in to your input manager settings and tweak the "gravity" setting on your horizontal/vertical axis to be something stupid like 9000

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-InputManager.html

2. If you are using rigidbodies for your ships and controlling them through physics, play around with the drag setting.

Code:
pseudocode

if (dir.magnitude > 0 )
{
     rbody.drag = 0;
     rbody.velocity = dir * speed;
}
else
{
     rbody.drag = 1000; // insta stop
     rbody.velocity = vector3.zero;
}