Weekly Online Shmeet #4

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...

What game should we play in the shmeet #4 ?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:56 pm

Space Manbow (MSX)
29%
Argus (Arcade)
14%
Ajax (Arcade)
7%
Viewpoint (Neo-Geo)
50%
Beamrider (Colecovision)
No votes

Total votes: 14

Shatterhand

Weekly Online Shmeet #4

Post by Shatterhand »

If no one cares , I'll post this week poll, just for this week, so we can pick the next one.

If someone is against me doing it, then may we lock this thread or something.

Or if someone don't agree with the games, I dunno...
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Thanks for making a poll Shatterhand. Have we decided to just stick to polls, or are we going to let someone choose the game sometimes?

I see you really want to play Spaceman Bow :) .
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

hahaha

I really don't know... I am not even sure if those games are a good selection or not...

No one else but me voted... so I WILL ENFORCE SPACE MANBOW next week, hehe :)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Just to clear up things.

If you guys prefer to choose it at random, then we can just throw up a few suggestions here, and then we may settle in "randomization" system or something to pick up the next game (I could just throw a dice and choose one, but if somehow the game picked up is Space Manbow, people will say I've cheated, hehehe :D)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

space manbow again.

this should be a featured game until it is finally drawn. amazing stuff.

and as shatterhand has said, not exactly a pushover of a game either. :D
I have no sig whatsoever.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Just for the record, Beamrider is an awesome shmup, fast, furious, and it's very score-centric, even though it was made in 1983......

I think Herr Schatten prefers the Atari 2600 version, but I am all for the Coleco version, which has better graphics and faster gameplay. (And like most Activision games, it got an identical MSX port, which actually is the one which I used to play , heh :D)
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Oh god I hope Viewpoint doesn't win...can't stand that game.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

So quickly, vote for Space Manbow, and ask 10 friends to do it too. Your vote + 10 votes = no Viewpoint. :D

I only played Viewpoint once, and it was the MD version.. I barely know the game, but I keep hearing good things about it (And how extremely hard it is).

My intention was to put games that didn't had hi-score boards in the Hi-score forum...
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Shatterhand wrote:My intention was to put games that didn't had hi-score boards in the Hi-score forum...
Good call. I'm liking the old school flavour, going retro is a nice change from pink bullet infested manics ^_-

I voted for Ajax, though ^_-
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

I did the Spaceman Bow. I don't really like any of the games, but I don't like Gradius too much either and I put in the damn poll. At least with these unknown games, everyone is on a more level playing field.
My Collection
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Haha, funny how you keep spelling it "Spaceman Bow"... this indeed makes more sense than "Space Manbow" , hehe :)

I must admit I do have some experience with both Space Manbow and Beamrider, but Argus and Ajax I've played just a few times (Both seemed to be very cool), and Viewpoint only once in the Mega Drive version.
Edge

Post by Edge »

I voted for View Point. Have only tried that once on Mame. But I remember how the mags were praising it when it came out. That made me curious about it.

Having some Retro Games to play sure is interesting.

So what do you think about having the poll's "theme oriented"?
Let's say the next poll have only early 80's games like Asteroids and Space Invaders (if you count them as shmups). And then another week we only have manic bullet hell games for the poll.

If you like, Ramus, I could keep track of the shmeet overall rankings?

Right now I don't have that much time, because currently I am visiting my parents but when the new year starts I could update that rankings, if you don't mind.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

I think Shatterhand was going to do that. I don't mind who does it, I just don't have the time to do it all right now. It's hard enough updating the weekly high scores with the holidays and all. The more help I can get, the better.
My Collection
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Edge, for me that would be great :) I still haven't found my Office CD (I am starting to think I lend it to someone, and I can't remember), so I don't have excel installed here to use your datasheet. If you want to update the ranking, just go ahead :)

I can take care of the weekly polls (If that's how we are going to keep on choosing the games), and I can help update the hi-score boards too, (I am not doing this right now because I always feel like I fuck up Ramus work... )
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Don't worry about messing me up Shatterhand; updating the weekly board isn't something that will get messed up. You can do the poll if you like. I was hoping to do a Psikyo, Cave, and Raizing poll sometime; hopfully we can squeeze it in somewhere. If you and I both do the polls and the weekly board, and Edge does the rankings, then the work should be minimal for all three of us. We should talk on AIM or MSN Messenger and figure this thing out.
My Collection
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Surely, I already have you at MSN.. but you didn't answer me! hehe :)

It looks like we will be playing Viewpoint next week.. :D

HEY, if we are going to do themed polls, we could have an MSX week ! :D :D :D (Just kidding)
Edge

Post by Edge »

Sounds great. :D

But I can't update the scores until the first January. :oops:
Currently staying at my parents house in a small village. When I am back home I'd like to keep the score rankings. :)

Besides i have another good classic game for a poll: Star Force. Just seen it on the shmups main site. :P
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Star Force , the one from Hudson? For NES? (There's an MSX version too, but the NES one is better)

I used to play this game a lot... I think Star Soldier is a kind of sequel to it.

I remember it had some really annoying spots, but it was a fun game, VERY old school :)
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Shatterhand wrote:Haha, funny how you keep spelling it "Spaceman Bow"... this indeed makes more sense than "Space Manbow" , hehe :)
Actually, "manbo" in Japanese is some kind of a fish (sunfish? I don't remember the name), and I've noticed that the ship in that game kinda resembles one, so that's probably where the name came from. And it looks like Viewpoint it is. Maybe I'll eventually be able to finish the first stage? Who knows...
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I still think it's a shame Beamrider got no votes, while it seems most people aren't really all that happy with viewpoint... :D

I think I'll make a review of Beamrider, just so people may know how great this game is. I always says that if Beamrider was released on arcades, it would be a classic as big as Defender or Tempest ...