Weekly Online Shmeet #3

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...

Game for week #3?

1943 Battle of Midway
16%
Air Gallet
24%
Dragon Breed
4%
Gradius
36%
Space Manbow (MSX)
20%

Total votes: 25

Ramus

Weekly Online Shmeet #3

Post by Ramus »

Poll for week 3.
Rules and Rankings
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
landshark

Post by landshark »

I'm a sucker for Gradius.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Is there a big differnce between the arcade and Famicom versions of Gradius?
My Collection
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

Gradius is vastly different on various platforms...NES/Famicom has a max limit of 2 options, PC Engine has a level not in other versions...The high score thread for Gradius is limited to the arcade, PSX, and Saturn versions while the NES version has a thread of its own.

I voted for Gradius as well...
now tighter than your sister
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Oh!

Let's go for Space Manbow! It's the best game here by far!

Let's all say it together

Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Edge

Post by Edge »

I voted for Gradius too, sorry Space Manbow.

How about Giga Wing or R-Type for the next poll?
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

The Gradius series is comprised of my most favorite shmups, so you can guess what I voted for. :)
Peace Through Violence
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

Do the Space Mambo,
Vote for Space Manbow.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Hey Ramus, you wrote if we have any suggestions or ideas we should just post them, right?

Well, now we have 3 tiers, tier 1 with the best 16%, tier 2 with 26% and the last tier with 58%. Each tier getting 2 point difference and the top player in one tier getting one additional point.

So, why don't we split up the rankings like this.

The first place always gets 6 points and is extra.
And the remaining players are split up into tiers.
Maybe divide into 5 tiers like this:
the first 15% gets 5 points.
the next 15% gets 4 points.
the next 20% gets 3 points.
the next 25% gets 2 points.
And the last 25% gets 1 point.

This would split up the players more widely and getting a better rank is more interesting, because you get easier more or less points. In my opinion the points would be more "accurate" (don't know a good English word for that). ^^

In case of the DonPachi highscores the points would look like this:

We had 19 people competing in this game, however the first place is extra,
In this case it's Icarus having 6 points.

The remaining 18 players are now divided into the tiers listed above:

5 points (15% aka 3* people)
Smraedis
Landshark

4 points (15% aka 3 people)
NTSC-J
Vorpal
Ramus

3 points (20% aka 4 people)
Shalashaska
freddiebamboo
TalkingOctopus
Skyline

2 points (25% aka 5* people)
kemical
kyle d.
crithit5000
Tomtom

1 point (25% aka 5 people)
Shatterhand
Punkfox
MadSteelDarkness
Gaijin Punch
Edge

*if you divide the persons you actually get values like 2,7, so they have to be manually changed into real numbers.

I think this kind of scoresystem would be more fair for everybody, and would make the score hunt more exciting. Also it could be easily exchanged because we only played one game so far.

Well, what do you guys think about this suggestion?
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Hmmm... sounds confusing. Or maybe I'm too tired to understand right now; it's 2:40AM here. I'll definatly look into it. Thanks for the input. :)
My Collection
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I didin't like it because I am receiving only 1 point!

haha, just kidding :)

I think it may be a good idea. This way the points will be more "spread", and still make interesting for people with "normal" skills :D

I just wonder, will the ranks ever be reseted? I think they should be reseted at every 3 months or 6 months, or else people who stay behind for too long may get frustrated or something , and just quit..
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Ok, I've created a topic so we can discuss the ranking method here:

http://forum.shmups.com/forum/viewtopic ... 029#102029
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

A little request for less popular shmups on the voting list for the fourth shmupmeet. Everyone seems to be voting on the games that everyone likes, as opposed to the games that are the most challenging and competitive. A short list of fun, challenging, score-centric and non-Cave/Konami etc shmups would make the next one more interesting (even though things are already interesting ^_-).

Stuff like Juno First or Time Pilot ^_-

Just a suggestion.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Is Time Pilot a shmup? It's from Konami, you know? hehe :)

I'd love to play Time Pilot...

I don't think it even has to be score-centric, but I'd really like to play less popular shmups. Space Manbow is a fav of mine, but nearly no one ever played it.. it's not score-centric, but it would be great. Or say, Argus or Cosmic Cop or Apidya or Viewpoint... none of them are score-centric, but they are rarely played... (None of them have hi-score boards either in the hi-score forum...)

We just has to be careful to not pick games where score mechanics are bugged (Dragon Spirit on NES for example... in the old-school competition, this was the 1st game... first we found out the game looped forever, and any average shmupper could keep on looping it... so we sticked to 1st loop scores only... then we found you could keep milking bosses forever, so the winner was the one with the biggest patience to keep on milking bosses - it was Cigsthecat by the way, while I came on 2nd place)
zakk

Post by zakk »

Shatterhand wrote: We just has to be careful to not pick games where score mechanics are bugged
Time Pilot is out then. If you don't shoot anything on the second level parachute-guys will start appearing. You can hang around as long as you want not destroying anything, and eventually max/roll the score with enough patience.

Time Pilot '84 on the other hand, would work ok.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Shatterhand wrote:I don't think it even has to be score-centric, but I'd really like to play less popular shmups. We just has to be careful to not pick games where score mechanics are bugged...
zakk wrote:Time Pilot is out then. If you don't shoot anything on the second level parachute-guys will start appearing. You can hang around as long as you want not destroying anything, and eventually max/roll the score with enough patience. Time Pilot '84 on the other hand, would work ok.
Good points guys. Like I said though, it's just a suggestion, you don't have to consider it if you don't want to. Careful consideration of games would definitely have to be in order to ensure that the selections had fair scoring systems, and no tricks such as infinite loops or milking spots. And fun to play, being the most important consideration.

I think it would make the score competition more interesting at least, as it would level the playing field a lot more, and make it more dependent on actual skill rather than experience with the chosen game.
Shatterhand wrote:Is Time Pilot a shmup? It's from Konami, you know? hehe
Yeah yeah, you know what I mean ^_-
Less Cave, Psikyo, Takumi etc and more unknowns and retro stuff ^_-
(Would make more people play the classics at least...)
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

Shatterhand wrote:Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!
Space Manbow!

i'm hitting Space Manbow.

its a great game, and also, it seems like the basic competition level won't be so spread out (like it would be in gradius for example, who here can multi-loop it on command?)... so basically, much like Icarus was suggesting above
I have no sig whatsoever.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Yeah, I managed to 1cc Space Manbow a lot of years ago, but last time I tired, I failed at level 5 (And I haven't played it for years now)

But I must admit, I never tried the 2nd loop of Space Manbow, and I don't know if it loops forever.

Though to be quite honest, as no one ever played it properly here, I'd guess most people would have trouble finishing the 1st loop, that game is no push-over. (Well, maybe except Icarus, who's kicking everyone asses :D)

Don't Gradius also loops forever? I'd guess Space Manbow have the same amount of loops that Gradius has (Both being from Konami... a wild guess, but still...)

For endless loops games, maybe we could make a deal, let's say, only scores up until finishing the 2nd loop counts, or something.

BTW, anyone could help me with the ranking method in the other thread? Or what I proposed is fine?
Edge

Post by Edge »

Well what would you guys think about this idea? We don't pick the next game by poll. Instead it will be randomly chosen, ofcourse from the player suggestions. And if we want to try some not so well known shmups, I'd like to vote for Alpha Mission 2 and ST Dragon. I have never played those for scores, but I always was curious about them...

@Shatterhand:
Already wrote something in this thread. :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Shatterhand wrote:Though to be quite honest, as no one ever played it properly here, I'd guess most people would have trouble finishing the 1st loop, that game is no push-over. (Well, maybe except Icarus, who's kicking everyone asses :D)
Even though I've heard of Space Manbow, I've never played it seriously enough to ALL it, so I'd have no advantage in that particular game. Hence the suggestion of lesser played games where everyone can have a chance of getting to the top. It makes it more fair, more fun and more dependent on skill rather than experience.

I'd give it (Space Manbow) my best shot though ^_^

As for kicking ass in Cyvern, I'm waiting for DEL to show up, and demolish everyone's score. Cyvern isn't agreeing with me at all, I just cannot click with the game enough to attempt a higher score at the moment. Still plenty of time to try, though ^_-

(It's a good thing Mode7 isn't around. 10mil would be incredibly difficult to beat.)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

It's a shame that for the next 2 weeks I don't have much free time. I am pretty sure I could had come up with a better score at Donpachi (Reached at least 5 million)... and I am not finding Cyvern that hard so far, most stuff clicks well with me... but I don't think I'll have proper gameplay time to have a nice score for it.

Choose a random game could be nice too.

I had thought once that a random player could choose the next game. Like, in the start of the week, we say "Whoever finishes in 7th in general will choose the next game"... or something. This way I think it will be completely random who will pick up the game.

Alpha mission 2 is good stuff.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Oh, by the way, when I said "Dragon Spirit" , read "Legendary Wings" ...

I confused both games...