Weekly Online Shmeet #2

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...

What game shall we play for week #2?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 12, 2005 6:47 pm

17%
Cyvern
34%
Dragon Breed
14%
Dragon Spirit
No votes
Kingdom Grand Prix
7%
Raiden
28%

Total votes: 29

Ramus

Weekly Online Shmeet #2

Post by Ramus »

Poll for next week's online shmeet. Give suggestions for next week.

*RANK SYSTEM* Click here for rank thread
I've decided I'm going to make a rank system for the people who decide to play in the weekly online shmeet. Participating in these weekly online shmeets can win you some free stuff. There will be a prize every three months. That's 4 prizes a year; 2 small ones and 2 big ones. The prize value will go like this:

3months-->win small prize-->3months-->win big prize-->3months-->win small...etc.

The first prize will be small and more accessable to everyone who participates. The value will be less than $100.00.

The large prizes will be $100.00 and more, but no more than $500.00.

I'll be paying for all these prizes with my own money, so we will see how long I can keep this up.
Rules:

Code: Select all

1. Competition is 1 week long.  This allows people to get at least one day to do some runs.  Some people got work and/or school; this allows for more people to get their scores in.

2. As usual, the games will be played with the default settings.

3. There will be a tier rank system to help tell who has played this before.  Basically, the pros will be in the top tier, people with experience will be in the mid tier, and people who have never played or haven't played much will be in the lower tier.  All I'm basically doing is splitting up the score board and giving people the chance to strive for some sort of title to your skill.  I will just fill the board out like a normal score board.  Your score places you; that's all.

4. Can not use scores from a previous scoreboard.  Scores must be from the week the current competition game is played

5. Emulation is okay.  Not everyone can afford PCBs  :)

6. When there is a significant differnece in versions of a game, the system to be used will be specified.

7. As with any scoreboard, please be honest and don't make up scores.  Such offenses will cause said player to rot in hell.

8. Rules subject to change when I think of more that will improve the competition or if someone else comes up with a good idea.  New rules can be voted in by poll.  Old rules can be voted out by poll.  If you have an idea, don't be affraid to speak.

9. All scores will be posted.  There will not be just 10 spots.  Everyone who plays will be put on the board.

10. Once a game is chosen, it will not be eligible for the poll for 1 month.

11. Please don't vote unless you plan to play.  I want the players --not the spectators or people who love to vote in polls just to vote-- to chose their game.

12. The new poll will be posted 1 week in advance from the time shmeet.  So when we start on Monday, there will also be a new poll for the following week's game.

Last edited by Ramus on Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

We will only play arcade games? I'd like to suggest Space Manbow for the next poll. MSX emulators are very easy to configure (And I can give help to anyone who needs it), and Space Manbow is just 128kb big, so it's a very small download.

The game is playable in most modern MSX emulators (In past most emulators had trouble with it) :)
Tomtom

Post by Tomtom »

*waves a big flag with "Cyvern" painted on it*
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

I wish Cyvern worked in MAME. :cry:
Peace Through Violence
snap monkey

Post by snap monkey »

Shalashaska wrote:I wish Cyvern worked in MAME. :cry:
I played a credit just now. Seems to be working fine.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Oh wow, I just looked at the review of Cyvern and it looks awesome. A little bit of Cave, a little bit of Raizing and a whole lot of dragon. I wish I had looked at the game before voting--I'd much rather play this than Raiden.
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

I just got the romset and tried it out in MAME. I was apprehensive because some Kaneko Super Nova games have hiccupy framerates on my Athlon64 (!!!) but it looks like this one doesn't push the hardware quite as hard... or at least doesn't tickle whatever feature causes the other games to drop frames.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

AWJ wrote:Oh wow, I just looked at the review of Cyvern and it looks awesome. A little bit of Cave, a little bit of Raizing and a whole lot of dragon. I wish I had looked at the game before voting--I'd much rather play this than Raiden.
I can keep track of the votes and add +1 to Cyvern and -1 to Raiden if you wish.
My Collection
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

I must be crazy.
My Collection
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Cyvern works nicely in Mame with my Sempron 2200+ with 256 mb of ram. No frame drops (Except when my PC begins doing something stupid in the background)

I voted for 1941, just for the record :)

Though I would choose Raiden over Cyvern, and Dragon Breed over Raiden :)

But Cyvern is nice for me... at least ITS NOT CAAAAAAAAVEEEEEEEE :)
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Ramus wrote:I can keep track of the votes and add +1 to Cyvern and -1 to Raiden if you wish.
No, I didn't vote for Raiden, I voted for something no one else voted for (or is likely to vote for) and as a result Raiden is beating Cyvern. Never mind changing my vote, it's not fair to everyone else.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

AWJ wrote:
Ramus wrote:I can keep track of the votes and add +1 to Cyvern and -1 to Raiden if you wish.
No, I didn't vote for Raiden, I voted for something no one else voted for (or is likely to vote for) and as a result Raiden is beating Cyvern. Never mind changing my vote, it's not fair to everyone else.
Okay.
My Collection
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

Shatterhand wrote:Cyvern works nicely in Mame...
Really? I get missing file errors when I try to run/audit it. I've tried vanilla Mame, Mame32, and MamePlus. :cry:
AWJ

Post by AWJ »

Shalashaska wrote:
Shatterhand wrote:Cyvern works nicely in Mame...
Really? I get missing file errors when I try to run/audit it. I've tried vanilla Mame, Mame32, and MamePlus. :cry:
You need the Super Kaneko Nova System BIOS, skns.zip. If you get missing file errors you need the missing files (usually either a BIOS or a parent set) not a different version of MAME.
Shalashaska

Post by Shalashaska »

Ah excellent, thank you. Works great now. Well I've never played Cyvern before but I'll go ahead and give it my vote. :D
Peace Through Violence
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

cyvern is my vote, i am godawful at it, but it is seriously the express train to fun town, specifically into the downtown awesome station.

apologies, i'm high... well no, actually i'm not, i'm just a fan of easy amusement.
I have no sig whatsoever.