Shmup Weekend @ Konbo, Edinburgh | 9th & 10th Dec

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
JackieHarris

Shmup Weekend @ Konbo, Edinburgh | 9th & 10th Dec

Post by JackieHarris »

Facebook event page link: https://www.facebook.com/events/148853775856012

We're running a Shmup Weekend at Konbo arcade cafe over Sat 9th & Sun 10th December! A whole weekend dedicated to shoot 'em ups, featuring:
  • - Location test of 'Blue Revolver: Black Label'! We are delighted to be hosting a playtest of Stellar Circle Games' update of their excellent indie shmup 'Blue Revolver'. Get to grips with this re-worked edition before its official release next year. http://bluerevolvergame.com/1year/

- Battle Garegga presentation by Icarus & Eaglet! History, strategies, demonstrations.

- Saturday evening event with entire venue (6 cabs) running shmups, plus console setups running scoring competitions for Recca (Score Attack) and DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Death Label, with prizes provided by CAVE!

- During daytime both days, back room (3 cabs) will be dedicated to shmups, plus console setups, and more in the works...
Daytime access is free as we're open normal hours. Sat evening event will be £5 entry, but all machines will be on free-play & alcohol BYOB is welcome.

### SCHEDULE ###

SATURDAY
---------
12-6pm:
- Back room cabs (3x New Astro City) dedicated to shmups, 2 vert & 1 hori set-up.
- 2x console set-ups in back room running shmups
- In front room, location test of Blue Revolver: Black Label
- 3pm: Battle Garegga presentation by Icarus & Eaglet. Expected to last approx 2 hours.

6-7pm: closed for change-over.

7-11pm: Evening event! £5 entry, BYOB, everything on free-play.
- All 6 cabs in venue dedicated to shmups
- Scoring competition set-ups for DDP DOJ Death Label (PS2) and Recca (NES).
- Other set-ups, TBC!

SUNDAY
-------
12-6pm:
- Back room cabs (3x New Astro City) dedicated to shmups, 2 vert & 1 hori set-up.
- 2x console set-ups in back room running shmups
- In front room, location test of Blue Revolver: Black Label

### END SCHEDULE ###

Games aren't set in stone yet, but here's our current arcade shmup collection list:

Aero Fighters 2
Blazing Star
Border Down
Detana!! Twinbee
DoDonPachi DaiOuJou
ESP Ra.De.
Explosive Breaker
G-Darius
Game Tengoku
Gunbird 2
Ketsui
Parodius Da!
Progear
Raiden
RayStorm
Strikers 1945 II
Thunder Cross II
Zero Gunner 2

Plus there may be extra guest PCBs! Also we'll have console shmup set-ups (again, to be decided on) as mentioned above :)
Last edited by JackieHarris on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsey

Re: Shmup Weekend @ Konbo, Edinburgh | 9th & 10th Dec

Post by Horsey »

Thought I'd better comment here so I can as not on Facebook too much now.

Really looking forward to seeing Blue revolver. One of the best games out on steam this last year imo
05pro

Post by 05pro »

Can't wait for December - this is going to be great!!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I've just had my holidays confirmed for the weekend so I'm in on this. All I need to do is book my train up there and work out a suitable place to stay that isn't a mile away from anything lol.
Do you want me to bring Garegga with me? I have an RECO autofire board as well if we need autofire setups for the cabs.
JackieHarris

Post by JackieHarris »

Icarus wrote:I've just had my holidays confirmed for the weekend so I'm in on this. All I need to do is book my train up there and work out a suitable place to stay that isn't a mile away from anything lol.
Do you want me to bring Garegga with me? I have an RECO autofire board as well if we need autofire setups for the cabs.
Excellent! :D

We're easy walking distance from the centre of town, so anywhere relatively central should work out fine.

And big yes on Garegga! :) Thanks for the offer. We have a couple of autofire boards kicking about, but by all means take that RECO with you if you can - might come in handy.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

obviously looking forward to this.. been trying to entice spadgy up on twitter and he says he will come if funds and time off from work will allow. a couple of off forum people i know will be attending too. will be good to meet again with those i know and those i don't and blow some shit up.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

damn i'm going to be in edinburgh the weekend before this, bad timing.
jugemscloud

Post by jugemscloud »

an arcade event in sc0tland and im not work1ng :shock: ill have a word w1th a few glasgow people and see whos going i th1nk at least 2 other people will

need to get practising on recca
JackieHarris

Post by JackieHarris »

jugemscloud wrote:an arcade event in sc0tland and im not work1ng :shock: ill have a word w1th a few glasgow people and see whos going i th1nk at least 2 other people will
Excellent :)

Meanwhile, here's a preview of the DOJ Death Label scoring competition prize, as kindly donated by CAVE themselves:

Less than a month to go!!
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

I'll be there!
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i've got a jamma ready groovymame setup all ready to install in a cab as well now so we will have every shooter at our fingertips..
probably best to install it in a horizontal cab then we can play the horis how they were meant to be played but still play some verts in yoko if we so please 8)
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

also can we get a eaglet garegga run on the weekend ? 8) would impress the newcomers/non maniacs very much i'd imagine :wink:
JackieHarris

Post by JackieHarris »

charlie chong wrote:also can we get a eaglet garegga run on the weekend ? 8) would impress the newcomers/non maniacs very much i'd imagine :wink:
Already happening! :) Just updated the first post with a note of Garegga joint demonstration by Icarus & Eaglet on the Saturday afternoon. Added updated flyer & note of schedule as well.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

didn't realise you were gonna have 2 vert cabs setup :wink: . i'll bring the mame setup along anyway and let the people decide if they would prefer it in a vert cab or horizontal or just play real pcbs.. the ability to switch between games quick is sick tho and it works with the coin mech for the tokens too.
JackieHarris

Post by JackieHarris »

1 week today! I'll also be putting out some 'new' shmup games/merch for sale over the weekend :)
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

just got home from the second day
big thanks to michael for hosting and organising everything, danbo for bringing along blue revolver black label and to all that attended whether from local or afar ... was a good turnout all weekend though i missed the saturday night due to falling asleep when i went home to grab food.
some good garegga runs from eaglet and icarus obviously although luck seemed to be against icarus most of the weekend but that is just the way of garegga i guess. we should change eaglets name to mr motivator because he is a very motivational and inspirational character indeed.
was good fun ! hopefully we can do it again in a year or so time.mebbes not when its so cold tho as dat scottish december air
was permeating through the walls :lol:
JackieHarris

Post by JackieHarris »

Really happy with how this went! :D

Thanks to Danbo for running the Blue Revolver loc test all weekend, to Icarus & Eaglet for rinsing Garegga in front of a rapt audience, to Charlie & 05pro for loaning gear over the weekend, and to everyone who turned up and took part! Congrats again to Icarus and 05pro for winning the Recca and DDP DOJ Death Label scoring competitions respectively. It was a blast. Hopefully we can do something like this again in future :)
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Many thanks to JackieHarris for running the show and letting us camp out in the back room lmao, it was great to have a place in the UK to meet up again, and hopefully there'll be more meets of larger sizes to come.

Glad to hear that everyone enjoyed the Garegga presentation and demos. Admittedly I wasn't feeling too confident with my run, knowing how Garegga usually is, and true to form, Black Heart 2 gave me the worst luck ever, but I am happy I got to show off some of the tricks, and talk about the game. I knew Eaglet would put on a better demo, and he didn't fail to impress by beasting the game with Chitta of all ships, lol. Seems like there was some interest in the game overall, so hopefully it translates to some new players joining the Garegga community. :3
Also very happy that people enjoyed getting to play on the PCB. That's why I brought it along, lol.

Great to meet up with everyone and put names to faces, too many to mention. I know some peeps are going to Stunfest next year, so I'll see you guys again soon!
Noontide

Post by Noontide »

What a fantastic weekend! Had a chance to play so many great games, experience the genre on a cab instead of my dinky laptop like normal, and meet some lovely people & strong players. Couldn't have asked for a better introduction to this community. Will definitely be popping down to Konbo more often.
Seems like there was some interest in the game overall, so hopefully it translates to some new players joining the Garegga community. :3
I picked it up on PS4 as soon as I got home and have been suffering in it all week, great stuff. Going to try out as many other games as I can as well and see what takes my fancy.
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

After getting back home without any major problems (you who were there probably heard about my flight related chaos when travelling to Edinburgh) and getting some highly needed sleep I'm ready to write a bit about this entire experience.

From the second I arrived I felt incredibly well welcomed and very nostalgic at the same time, as Konbo reminds me a lot of Super Motaro that used to exist in Stockholm back in the day. The place that got me interested in STG in the first place.
Meeting up with all of the great people who'd decided to join us and putting on a presentation and demonstration that i think went alright despite operating on 40 hours of sleep deprivation was a great experience. Extremely happy seeing the level of interest for what i think is the greatest game ever created and the genre in general was incredibly encouraging. Lots of good banter, games and even some proper drinking nights out. :mrgreen:
Will be very happy to return whenever I can, which i feel might not be too far off as Edinburgh has settled itself as one of my favourite european cities to visit.

Stunfest will be a great continuation of what has already been tested out and established here!
With people this interested and enthusiastic STG will never die.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

Noontide wrote: I picked it up on PS4 as soon as I got home and have been suffering in it all week, great stuff. Going to try out as many other games as I can as well and see what takes my fancy.
i would also reccomend the other m2 ports(dangun feveron and sorcerer striker) tho i have not played the latter yet despite buying on release m2 always deliver good ports.. the forthcoming ketsui port would be a good pickup too. probably the most popular shooter at konbo
Noontide

Post by Noontide »

charlie chong wrote:
Noontide wrote: I picked it up on PS4 as soon as I got home and have been suffering in it all week, great stuff. Going to try out as many other games as I can as well and see what takes my fancy.
i would also reccomend the other m2 ports(dangun feveron and sorcerer striker) tho i have not played the latter yet despite buying on release m2 always deliver good ports.. the forthcoming ketsui port would be a good pickup too. probably the most popular shooter at konbo
I've had Ketsui on PS3 for a while, magic game. I don't know what's going to be different in the PS4 port but if it's good enough to justify buying it again I will.