Are you attending the 2017 California Extreme show?

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
PC Engine Fan X!

Are you attending the 2017 California Extreme show?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

The 21st annual California Extreme show in Santa Clara on July 29-30th 2017 at the Hyatt Regency. With a grand total of 30,000 square footage of gaming space, it certainly is a huge upgrade from the past grand total of 22,000 square footage of gaming space at the Santa Clara Convention Hall that hosted the CAX shows from 2009 to 2016.

I'll definitely be there for both days indeed.

------------------------------------
The following guest speakers are planning to attend this year's CAX show include:

SKYCURSER: what we've learned by launching an arcade game. Christopher Cruz - Art Director, Phil Golobish - Producer

How did three guys from Indiana take their dream of developing a new arcade game to a global stage? What does it take to design, test and sell a new piece of arcade hardware? Why would anyone do something so heroic? Get the answers straight from the source! Join the SKYCURSER team for a candid discussion of the ups and downs of launching an arcade game in 2017.

Steve Ritchie

Steve will give a talk about the making of the new Stern Star Wars pinball as well as the "Chevalier Noir" distributor show in Paris, 1989. After the talk and a short slideshow, he'll hold a Q&A session and autograph session. Steve will be signing translites and backglasses or whatever pinball parts you bring to him. He'll have factory fresh translites to autograph for sale as well!
-------------------------------------

As for arcade shmup PCBs being shown, I'm not so sure what'll be brought in.

If you are bringing in some candy cabs, please PM me as I'd like to show some of my arcade shmup PCBs there for both days if it's alright with you beforehand.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Gamer707b

Re: Are you attending the 2017 California Extreme show?

Post by Gamer707b »

Since I live closer to Nothern CaL now, I may go. Ive been to retro conventions before. Is this similar? Is it for gamer gamers? Or watered down? Are there new, old games? Are there vendors? I know I am full of questions. Lastly how much?
PC Engine Fan X!

Here's the 411 link to more information on the CAX show: http://www.caextreme.org/

Prices are as follows:

Weekend: $60.00
Saturday only: $40.00
Sunday only: $30.00

There are plenty of vendors dealing with both used arcade games/pinball/console (+imports) gaming as well. It's primarily a retro/modern-day arcade game/pinball game show -- being billed as "The World's largest Arcade" with a grand total of 30,000 square footage of gaming space this time around, folks. There's a classic retro gaming room with the usual retro consoles like: NES, SNES, PSX, Vectrex, etc. for console gamers to play -- take the escalator to the upstairs room where there will be some indie bands playing their gaming music live on Saturday into the night. There will be some new arcade game prototypes brought in like: Cosmonauts with it's multi-player draw-in factor, Killer Queen, & of course, Griffin Aerotech's 4-stage arcade shmup release, Skycurser.

Skycurser will be shown for both days at this upcoming CAX show. Fellow shmupper gibbous has graciously accepted to host Skycurser for both days with his Sega Astro City candy cab setup.

At 7:00pm, the 2D pixel sprite artist of Skycurser will be giving a talk on how it was developed & running on the Airframe arcade Jamma platform (with built-in Wi-Fi capabilities from the get-go for the latest updates). Should be an interesting talk.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Sounds like a place I would like to be. As I said, I did move closer to North Cali, so it will be easier. As far as you go, if you're not getting paid for promoting this, then you should , cause you're doing a good job in getting the word out. Peace out!!
PC Engine Fan X!

Thanks for the kind words, Gamer707b. I've attended pretty much all the past CAX shows except for about three shows. It does get better & better each year, no doubt about that. Just spreading the 411 about this year's CAX show -- you won't be disappointed at all.

A grand prize drawing for a brand new pinball machine (worth on the average of $6,000 USD or thereabouts -- it's donated, indeed) or full sized arcade game cab will be held outside in main lobby sometime Sunday afternoon -- exact time will be announced, of course.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
PC Engine Fan X!

A few notable arcade shmups shown at today's 2017 CAX show include Cosmo Gang, Fanasty Zone II DX, Gemini Wings & Hot Dog Storm (all set on "Free Play").

Will have check out that Crimson Clover oddity to see if it's a true arcade shmup cab or if it's a 1-off cab.
Shall report more on this peculiar arcade shmup cab upon closer inspection.

Plenty of Stern's Star Wars Trilogy pinball machines setup courtesy of Marco Specialities to try your hand at -- may the force be with you. Managed to score 202 million+ on my first try at it (and entered my my high scores initials as a cool bonus as well). Very cool SW themed pinball machine nevertheless. Three models to choose from with prices ranging from $6995.00, $7995.00 & $8995.00 USD respectively. Hmmm, sounds quite tempting though (but would take a big bite out of one's wallet/purse).

Someone brought in a fully restored Williams 1991 Terminator 2: Judgement Day pinball machine with some cool upgrades including a color DMD setup + LED lighting throughout the entire play field. Looks & plays like a dream (akin to playing it brand new back in it's prime back in July of 1991 at the local arcades). Awesome retro pinball gaming at it's best.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ookitarepanda

Post by ookitarepanda »

Hell yeah dude I'm in town for the con this weekend. Picture time together? At dinner at the moment... be back in a little while.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

I gotta get my Bakraid board to fertilize a candy cab at this year's California Extreme

http://www.caextreme.org/
(July 28-29, 2018)