MD/DC/VA Winter 2017 Shmupmeet - March 18

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
StarCreator

MD/DC/VA Winter 2017 Shmupmeet - March 18

Post by StarCreator »

Hey guys! I have a new place and some new toys hopefully coming in, so I wanted to try hosting again. I'm not too far away from where Kiken lives now, though it's a bit further north for those of you who haven't joined us for a year or two.

PROMETHEUS is going to be in the area again and wants to meet in March. What day works for everyone?
Last edited by StarCreator on Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
PROMETHEUS

Re: MD/DC/VA Winter 2017 Shmupmeet - March ?

Post by PROMETHEUS »

hey :] cool!
I'll be around from 1st to 29th anytime works for me!
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

StarCreator, do you have any dedicated tate CRTs for vert console games?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

At the moment I have two CRTs here but one is my roommate's and the other is a 34" or so monster. I could probably tate it, but I'm not completely sure I can do it safely yet and it might be too large for the purpose besides. If it's convenient to bring in CRTs it might be better to plan on that.

Of course, I expect most of our play of the day to be on the Egret 2. Unfortunately I haven't gotten far into that console-in-a-cab project I bought some parts for, and those parts might get diverted for use in those new toys that are hopefully coming this weekend.
StarCreator

Re: MD/DC/VA Winter 2017 Shmupmeet - March 25?

Post by StarCreator »

Haven't heard from anyone if they have a preference for a specific day yet. It turns out I need a little more time to prepare than I thought, so I'm going to lean towards the 18th or 25th just to make sure everything will be ready. Do either of those dates work for everyone?
vvv_stg

Re: MD/DC/VA Winter 2017 Shmupmeet - March 25?

Post by vvv_stg »

Sadly, 25th is already booked for me. I would gladly join you if it's on 18th, though.
StarCreator

Re: MD/DC/VA Winter 2017 Shmupmeet - March 18

Post by StarCreator »

You're not the first to tell me that, so the 18th it is!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

The 18th is fine for us. I could always stop by Goodwill and pick up a spare CRT. Otherwise.. what should I bring? The Saturns (along with a load of games) as well as Mushi Futari 1.5, Pink Sweets and maybe an MVS cart or two.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Futari is great :D
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Anyone bringing streaming/recording equipment? I in theory have the hardware but I'm not sure I'll have the time to set it up with everything else going on.

Also, what are we eating? I'm a bit further north than previous meets but we're still not really all that far from the usual places, or we can try something new.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

StarCreator wrote:Anyone bringing streaming/recording equipment? I in theory have the hardware but I'm not sure I'll have the time to set it up with everything else going on.

Also, what are we eating? I'm a bit further north than previous meets but we're still not really all that far from the usual places, or we can try something new.
I have loads of capturing equipment and I figured I'd bring my laptop anyway. Granted, I don't have anything that'll take an RGB signal. Zakk may have to bring some of his stuff.
zakk

Post by zakk »

If we want to capture/stream I can bring my stuff over; gives me a good extend test of my software too.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Slightly related, but I just heard Michael's Noodles is closing permanently at the end of the month. We went there on one of the previous meets, but it must have been years ago now. I'm probably going to be eating there a lot while I still can.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Hello there.. I am looking forward to meeting everyone.. I can bring my favorite PCBs if you guys are interested in playing them..1943, 19xx, blazing Star, shinobi, double dragon:) if there is a Naomi setup in placed I can bring a few SHMUPS as well. I am assuming there is a jamma setup or cabs in place??
The Future Is Now
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I have an Egret 2 to run arcade boards in, tate or otherwise (because hey, it's an Egret 2). I'll have a CRT or two on the side otherwise for console games or if someone wants to bring a supergun. I also have a few new goodies but they still need some prep work before I know if they'll be ready for the meet or not.

I do not have any NAOMI setup, unfortunately. I also personally own Blazing Star, as does Kiken. (My collection also includes Esprade, Espgaluda 2, Progear, and some random things like Elevator Action Returns and Puzzle Bobble). I do suggest that if someone has a JAMMA MVS to bring then maybe they should, because mine is acting up a bit.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I might be able to fly down if you'll have me. Would it be inconvenient for me to stay at someones place?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

ratikal wrote:I might be able to fly down if you'll have me. Would it be inconvenient for me to stay at someones place?
I am already having PROMETHEUS over for the night following the meet, but technically I could house more if needed. I only have one spare bedroom though, but plenty of couch/sleeping bag space.

Would love to see you but I only have one cab for PCBs - you guys look to have way fancier meets lol
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

Thanks for the info.. I can bring a Jamma NeoGeo.. Egreet II are great:)..
The Future Is Now
zakk

Post by zakk »

StarCreator wrote:
ratikal wrote:I might be able to fly down if you'll have me. Would it be inconvenient for me to stay at someones place?
I am already having PROMETHEUS over for the night following the meet, but technically I could house more if needed. I only have one spare bedroom though, but plenty of couch/sleeping bag space.

Would love to see you but I only have one cab for PCBs - you guys look to have way fancier meets lol
All he needs is a PS4 with Garegga :)
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ratikal, how long would you be staying in the area if you were to fly down? We do have space for a visitor.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

So far, I was just planning one day. Come in the morning Saturday and leave in the morning Sunday. Changing a day, like coming Friday or leaving Sunday won't change the prices too much.

I don't need much, I'll just bring my aerobed and fan and be happy sleeping on that!
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

you coming ratikal?! if so thats awesome!
Follow me on Twitch??
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ratikal wrote:So far, I was just planning one day. Come in the morning Saturday and leave in the morning Sunday. Changing a day, like coming Friday or leaving Sunday won't change the prices too much.

I don't need much, I'll just bring my aerobed and fan and be happy sleeping on that!
We have a comfortable fold-out couch downstairs. We would just recommend bringing your own pillow. We can certainly put you up for a couple of nights. Just let us know when you're coming down and when you plan on heading back.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I heard peak bloom has been pushed back to the same weekend as the meet. Anyone want to go cherry blossom viewing on the 19th? lol

There might also be music game arcade sidetrips the day after considering we have a decent music game crowd coming this time...
zakk

Post by zakk »

Do you have anything setup to split out the RGB/audio in the egret2? My setup is so weird/special that I actually don't have any easy plug-and-go solution for this.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

zakk wrote:Do you have anything setup to split out the RGB/audio in the egret2? My setup is so weird/special that I actually don't have any easy plug-and-go solution for this.
Afraid not =/ Cab wiring is completely stock as far as I can tell and I prefer to keep it that way - I would have pursued A/V splitting via a JAMMA passthrough adapter, but haven't had the time with all the other things I'm trying to get done.

I still need to try to get the TypeX working aaargh
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Kiken wrote:
ratikal wrote:So far, I was just planning one day. Come in the morning Saturday and leave in the morning Sunday. Changing a day, like coming Friday or leaving Sunday won't change the prices too much.

We have a comfortable fold-out couch downstairs. We would just recommend bringing your own pillow. We can certainly put you up for a couple of nights. Just let us know when you're coming down and when you plan on heading back.
Would coming down on Saturday and leaving Monday be okay for you guys? I really appreciate you guys giving me a space to crash!
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

ratikal wrote:
Kiken wrote:

Would coming down on Saturday and leaving Monday be okay for you guys? I really appreciate you guys giving me a space to crash!
That'd be fine. Which airport are you coming in through? If it's BWI or Dulles, we'll need to pick you up directly from the airport... if it's Reagan, you can take the Metro to the Shady Grove station (on the Red Line), which is only a few miles from us, and we can pick you up from there.
zakk

Post by zakk »

There's a $5 shuttle from Dulles to the Silver Line, so he can get the scenic tour of the under construction extension that he can't use yet.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

BWI is the least expensive I believe, I'm gonna book tomorrow. I can always just get an Uber/Lyft to StarCreator's place.