BER wins the 1st Bay Area Insanity Cup

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
BER

BER wins the 1st Bay Area Insanity Cup

Post by BER »

(Note: If you wanted me to use your username for this forum instead of the name that you gave on the sign-up sheet, please let me know.)

BER wins the 1st Bay Area Insanity Cup! He wins two games in a final match against the runner-up Ray, who had never played Ketsui prior to this tournament.

Eight players competed in this tournament, which had four preliminary rounds in which everyone participates and the final match for the top two players. In the first round, Dave_K. knocks himself out of the game, and Ray took advantage of this by collecting 132 5-chips. Then DirtyMonk edges out Shawn with a 5-chip count of 68-66. But BER takes the lead by defeating the knocked out Dan and collecting 172 5-chips.

In the second round, BER maintains his lead by defeating Ray with a 5-chip count of 125-81. DirtyMonk, Shawn, and Dave_K. also won their matches.

In the third round, everyone was shocked when DirtyMonk upset BER with a 5-chip count of 126-63. Ray, Dave_K., and Louis also won their matches.

In the final preliminary round, Ray, BER, and Dan II earned easy wins from their knocked out opponents. Meanwhile, Dave_K. scraped past Louis with a 5-chip count of 136-106.

Four players had three wins each: BER, Ray, Dave_K., and DirtyMonk. But BER and Ray moved onto the final match with 5-chip differentials of +362 and +230, respectively.

Could Ray, the star rookie, upset BER, the shooting game veteran? Not so, as BER wins two games with the first coming from a 5-chip count of 109-87 and the second coming from Ray being knocked out of the game.

We also had two friendly matches. Dave_K. wins twice against DirtyMonk with 5-chip counts of 153-84 in the first game and 86-79 in the second game. Then Dave_K. couldn't let BER savor the championship--after all, how could the two arguably best Bay Area Ketsui players not duel in the tournament? So Dave_K. challenged BER to a one-game showdown. But BER solidified his championship with a 5-chip count of 116-106.

Even though BER didn't give away any prizes himself, Dave_K. gave him three dollars for winning the tournament. Also, the tournament lasted for about 1 hour and 40 minutes (including a demonstration game from Dave_K.).

. . .

Thanks to all who participated in this tournament! The results are below:

Final match (must win two games):
  • BER (2P, Type-A) def. Ray (1P, Type-B), 109-87
  • BER (1P, A) def. Ray (2P, B) by knockout (153-0)
Final standings from the preliminary rounds:
  1. BER: 3 wins (2 by KO), +362 total 5-chip count differential
  2. Ray: 3 wins (2 by KO), +230
  3. Dave_K.: 3 wins (1 by KO), +103
  4. DirtyMonk: 3 wins, 0
  5. Dan II: 2 wins (2 by KO), +51
  6. Shawn: 1 win, -132
  7. Louis: 1 win (1 by KO), -169
  8. Dan: 0 wins, -445
Results of all matches:

Notes:
  • DNF means that the player did not finish the stage. The player who DNF loses the game, and his opponent gets credit for the 5-chips earned at the end of the stage.
  • The type each player chose for each game is in parentheses. Type A has the way shot, while Type B has the linear shot.
  • The person who had side choice is denoted by an asterisk.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
diOdesu

Post by diOdesu »

ARGH! i wish i couldve made it a more dramatic ending. aggression took over and i got myself killed. ill get you next time ber!
i had a lot of fun, it was a great head to head competition. the best round was ber proving himself worthy of the victory by defeating dave.

best watch yo 5-chips.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Heh, I guess I should have read the rules more closely, as I was expecting to play BER in the final round, didn't know it was only top 2 that would advance. Anway, he did defeat me 106 to 100 in a single "for fun" game at the end. :D
BER

Post by BER »

Dave_K. wrote:Heh, I guess I should have read the rules more closely, as I was expecting to play BER in the final round, didn't know it was only top 2 that would advance.
When I realized that four of us had three wins, I wished we had a four-player playoff instead of a two-player one. Again, I made the playoff for two players so that we have a quick way of confirming the champion and we could move on to Dave_K.'s triathlon. I guess designing the tournament to be about an hour turned out to be a bigger problem than I thought.
Dave_K. wrote:Anway, he did defeat me 106 to 100 in a single "for fun" game at the end. :D
Hehe, well, one match isn't enough to validate that I'm better than you at this sort of game. :)
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
DirtyMonk

Post by DirtyMonk »

BER wrote: When I realized that four of us had three wins, I wished we had a four-player playoff instead of a two-player one. Again, I made the playoff for two players so that we have a quick way of confirming the champion and we could move on to Dave_K.'s triathlon. I guess designing the tournament to be about an hour turned out to be a bigger problem than I thought.
Yeah, that would have better. I had no idea that my single loss against Ray would force me into the 4th spot. Either way, this was really fun, and we should try something similar to this in the next meet. Hopefully we could choose a game that's more easily accessbile for everyone so we can give everybody a chance to practice more. Most likely something already available on mame perhaps?
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

DirtyMonk wrote:
BER wrote:
When I realized that four of us had three wins, I wished we had a four-player playoff instead of a two-player one. Again, I made the playoff for two players so that we have a quick way of confirming the champion and we could move on to Dave_K.'s triathlon. I guess designing the tournament to be about an hour turned out to be a bigger problem than I thought.
Yeah, that would have better. I had no idea that my single loss against Ray would force me into the 4th spot. Either way, this was really fun, and we should try something similar to this in the next meet. Hopefully we could choose a game that's more easily accessbile for everyone so we can give everybody a chance to practice more. Most likely something already available on mame perhaps?
I was thinking about the next one being a similar Insantiy Cup but with Dangun Feveron head-to-head collecting disco men in the first level. Very similar play to Ketsui in this regards. And everyone can practice this. :D