The 1st Bay Area Insanity Cup: Ketsui 5-chip style

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
BER

The 1st Bay Area Insanity Cup: Ketsui 5-chip style

Post by BER »

Rules for the 1st Bay Area Insanity Cup
3rd Bay Area Shmupmeet

Location and Time

Date: October 29, 2005 (Saturday). Tournament begins at 1:00 p.m.
Place: Dave_K.'s house
Participation fee: $0
Style: Two players (playing simultaneously) collecting 5-chips in the first stage of Ketsui.

Entry

Please enter your name in the sign-up sheet before 12:45 p.m. on Oct. 29, 2005.

Rules of the Game

You will play simultaneously against an opponent in the first stage of Ketsui. To win a game, you must collect more 5-chips at the end of the stage. You can also win if your opponent loses all of his lives before the stage ends.

Before each game, we will determine the side (1P or 2P) on which each player will play. To do this, we will play a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors. To win, you must deliver one throw that beats the other player's throw. If you win, then you get to pick the side that you want to play.

Each player will select a battle fighter, and then fight for 5-chips. If both players survive at the end of the stage, the player with more 5-chips wins the game. But if one player loses all of his lives, then the other player is the winner and may continue collecting 5-chips until the end of the stage. In this case, the loser earns no 5-chips and the winner earns the number of 5-chips shown at the end of the stage. If the winner also loses all of his lives at the end of the stage, then the winner earns no 5-chips, too.

Some other notes:
  • If both players earn the same number of 5-chips at the end of the stage or die simultaneously, then each player earns a half a win.
  • In bye games, the player receives a win but no 5-chips.
  • At the second stage, please kill off your fighters so we can quickly move on to the next game.
Tournament Setup (at least 6 players)

If we have 6 to 15 players, then we will have a Swiss-style tournament. We will have 4 preliminary rounds and a single-elimination playoff tournament. In the first round, pairings will be assigned randomly. In subsequent rounds, pairings will be assigned by rank (see the details under the Pairing section).

If we also have an odd number of players, then each preliminary round will receive a bye game. In the first round, I will choose at random the player who gets the bye game, and in subsequent rounds, I will choose the best ranked player who has yet to receive it. The chosen player can either accept the bye game or pass it to someone else who has yet to receive it. I won't tell who you'll play against if you're thinking about passing your bye game. (Remember that with a bye game, you earn a win automatically, but you receive no 5 chips for it.)

At the end of the preliminary round, we will hold a playoff tournament. In all playoff matches, a player must win two games in order to win the match. The champion will be determined as follows:
  • If we have 6 to 10 players, then the top 2 players by rank will play one match for the championship.
  • If we have 11 to 15 players, then the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds will play one match. The winner of this match will play against the No. 1 seed for the championship.
If we have more than 15 players (say, N players), we will have a Swiss-style tournament with ceiling(log_2 N) preliminary rounds and a single-elimination playoff tournament with the top ceiling(N/5) players. (The ceiling function rounds up the value in parentheses to the next integer.)

Tournament Setup (at most 5 players)

If instead we have 3 to 5 players, then we will have a round robin tournament. Each player will play every other player this many times:
  • 3 players: 5 times
  • 4 players: 2 times
  • 5 players: 1 time
The player with the best rank at the end of the tournament is the champion.

Rank

We will sort players by the number of wins first, then by the 5-chip differential, and finally by the number of 5-chips collected by the player (more is better in all criteria).

Pairings

This applies only to the Swiss-style tournaments. After the first preliminary round, I will use the following algorithm to determine pairings:
  1. Sort the players as described under the Rank section.
  2. If we have an odd number of players, let the highest player who has yet to receive a bye give the bye to someone who has yet to receive it (including himself).
  3. If unassigned players exist, consider the highest unassigned player. Otherwise, commence the next preliminary round.
  4. Consider the next highest unassigned player.
  5. If the players considered in step 3 and 4 have not played against each other, pair them and go to step 3. Otherwise, if we still have players left unassigned, go to step 4. If we don't have any unassigned players remaining, undo the latest pairing, assume temporarily that the players in this pairing played against each other, and go to step 3.
Expected Ending Times
  • 3 to 7 players: 2:00 p.m.
  • 8 or 9 players: 2:30 p.m.
  • 10 to 13 players: 3:00 p.m.
  • 14 or more players: longer than 3:00 p.m.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
BER

Post by BER »

Since no one gave me any feedback about these rules, I assume that everyone who wants to participate in this tournament accepts them.

I discussed more about the bye game for a tournament with an odd number of players. Also, I added one new rule: I cannot tell you who you'll be paired against until after you accepted or rejected the bye game opportunity. It takes me a few minutes to set up the pairings, so I don't want to have to do it twice per round.

Good luck in this tournament, everyone!
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

IS There a prize of winning it all?
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
BER

Post by BER »

PsikyoPshumpPshooterP wrote:IS There a prize of winning it all?
A new battleship!

Actually, I'm not giving away any prizes.