MAGFest 2017 (Jan 5th - 8th)

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
ratikal

MAGFest 2017 (Jan 5th - 8th)

Post by ratikal »

ABOUT
Short for "Music And Gaming Festival," MAGFest is a four day-long event dedicated to the appreciation of video game music, gaming of all types, and the gaming community.
The event runs 24 hours a day, and offers consoles, arcades, tabletop, LAN, live video game cover bands, chiptunes, vendors, guest speakers, and much much more.

The reason most farmers go to MAGFest is because there are many candy cab set ups ran by the great Wedoca, providing us many ways to play our beloved games!

TICKETS
https://super2017.uber.magfest.org/uber ... istration/
Time is running out!

Just a general interest thread! Who's bringing what?
GAMES SCHEDULE AND PCBS

The one thing I want to change though is actually have a meet up for once. For the last few years, the people who go to MAGFest generally just see each other at the cabs randomly. I'd like to have one day (maybe Friday or Saturday) to get everyone together, get some grub, and then come back and game together. In 2012(?), when we all went to Bojangles for grub, it was actually a lot of fun! I'd like to re-enact that some how. Anyone got good ideas for food around the National Harbor area? I can call in a reservation in advance to the event!

Meet around the cabs at 7PM Friday to get some foods?
Last edited by ratikal on Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
zakk

Re: MAGFest 2017 (Jan 5th - 8th)

Post by zakk »

i'm going, although I missed the 30 minute window for hotel rooms so I'll be driving in every day.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Cheeky Nando's with the Shmup Lads

I'll be there. :D
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Could probably make something work. Would almost definitely need to be a food option outside the National Harbor since everything will be slammed at all hours. Bojangles happens to be close, though everyone I know from the south tells me you need to go to at least North Carolina for Bojangles to be good. There's a lot of decent food if you're willing to drive out for it.

First crowd-friendly option to come to mind is &pizza though the most convenient location is about a ten minute drive away in Springfield, VA. (Which so happens to be the area's DDR A location, lol) Although, there's also a location in National Airport so those flying in should totally just grab some on the way in or out.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Yeah, the hotel situation is getting stupid... Minzoku and I are staying about a mile up the road at The Harborside. We'll be there Thursday through Sunday.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Oh, and for those that haven't pre-registered yet, because of the speed at which people register they have moved the price increases from a calendar date system to a hybrid calendar/badges sold system. The registrations have been selling out fast enough that the first price tier has already sold out - registration is currently $60 (or $50 as part of a group).
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

I would like to meet you guys if you are planning on an event that is walking distance from the Gaylord.....I am driving directly to the hotel on Friday morning and will be there until Monday...
The Future Is Now
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Increasing chance that I can make it.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Since we're about 2 months away, lets get the hype going!

I'm looking like I can bring the following.
[*]Battle Garegga
[*]Dodonpachi Daioujou
[*]TGM2
[*]Gunbird 2
[*]RayStorm
[*]Metal Black
[*]Darius Gaiden
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

I'll bring the usual:

ESPGaluda II
Pink Sweets
Mushihimesama Futari ver 1.5

Also any combination of the following:
Metal Slug (1,2,X,4)
Strikers 1945 +
Zed Blade
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
Blazing Star
Pulstar
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I think the only additions to my collection from last year are Mr Driller G, a Puzzle Bobble on the Taito F3 (forget which one), and an admittedly bootleg TGM3 (real Type X though) that currently has problems, but I could bring if I can get them worked out.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Gotcha. Wrong place. I have a memory of it existing in bmore.
Last edited by vol.2 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
zakk

Post by zakk »

Magfest is at National Harbor, not the Harbor in Baltimore. A good 45 mile difference there ;)
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Looks like I'm going!
PCBs available:
Ketsui
Battle Garegga
TGM1/2/3
Blockout
Radiant Silvergun
Puyo Puyo Sun

(Obviously I can't bring them all in my carry-on, but if any are desired let me know!)
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

vol.2 wrote:Gotcha. Wrong place. I have a memory of it existing in bmore.
MAGFest has done satellite events in Baltimore, but the headline event itself has never been further north than Tyson's Corner.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

StarCreator wrote:
vol.2 wrote:Gotcha. Wrong place. I have a memory of it existing in bmore.
MAGFest has done satellite events in Baltimore, but the headline event itself has never been further north than Tyson's Corner.
ah, well nuts. that's what i must remember.

it's a shame it's in DC. tough to find good food for a decent price. I like Sakana in Dupont circle. They have good tonkatsu and curry rice donburi, etc.
Also, I think there's a shake shack sorta near the national harbor area, close to the nationals stadium. Other than that, I'd probably go to VA for food around there. there is some good korean bbq places not too far. Those would be good for a group.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

vol.2 wrote:ah, well nuts. that's what i must remember.

it's a shame it's in DC. tough to find good food for a decent price. I like Sakana in Dupont circle. They have good tonkatsu and curry rice donburi, etc.
Also, I think there's a shake shack sorta near the national harbor area, close to the nationals stadium. Other than that, I'd probably go to VA for food around there. there is some good korean bbq places not too far. Those would be good for a group.
National Harbor is in Maryland. It's nowhere near Dupont/downtown DC.
zakk

Post by zakk »

My PCB list; I can bring any number of these since I'm local.

Armed Police Batrider
Battle Garegga
Brave Blade
Cyvern
Dangun Feveron
DDP2
Doggyun
Espgaluda 2
Esprade
Gigawing
Gunbird 2
Ibara Kuro
Ketsui
Pink Sweets
Progear
Raiden II DX
Star Trigon
Tatsujin
Vasara
Vasara 2
majors

Post by majors »

It's spreadsheet time! I'll gather the board suggestions/donation and add mine. We can figure out a good plan of what to run. Remember, I cannot make you'all happy...so let's pick choice PCBs.

Majors, plan to bring:
-Dragon Saber
-Thunderforce AC
-ProGear (Darksoft)

Other boards in my possession that I deem NOT worthy for MAGFest:
Alpha Mission II, Andro Dunos, Blazing Star, Do Don Pachi 2, Ikaruga, Last Resort, Mars Matrix, Raiden Fighters, Viper Phase 1, Sexy Parodius, Side Arms, Strikers 1945 Plus

I'll start compiling the list, figure out how many cabs will be available.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

So this is the list of things I have on hand that haven't been mentioned yet:
-Elevator Action Returns/Puzzle Bobble ? (not sure which, will check if there's interest) / Taito F3
-Mr Driller G
-Espgaluda (this is Yes Boss's so I would need to ask him if I can bring it)

Things I have that others already have:
-Progear (green cart with battery replaced this year)
-Esprade
-Espgaluda 2
-MVS 1 slot with Blazing Star, Metal Slug 3, Puzzle Bobble, Garou MOTW

And, tentatively, a bootleg TGM3 if I can get time to get it working right, but don't count on it

I could drop off my 360 for 360-in-a-cab if people want to do that again also.
d0s

Post by d0s »

I'm 99% sure I'll be going, it will be my first time there so I'm not really sure how stuff is done. Here's a list of my boards. If any are needed I'll be more than happy to bring them
majors

Post by majors »

d0s wrote: it will be my first time there so I'm not really sure how stuff is done.
(recap for the new, reminder for the old)The quick and dirty is I bring a few cabs and like to run STGs that I do not own. I have control over 16 candy cabs, of which 4-5 an be used for borrowed boards. To keep things organized and avoid ppl getting butt hurt, we plan out a schedule for boards to run. These usually comes out to an AM game and a PM game, sometimes we do an over night. Since we have WAY too many good shooters to run, we (as a group!) decide what is the best to run.

A lot of suggested boards will not be selected, but we decide that here so no one needlessly brings delicate PCB's to the con...er fest. We can CIVILLY discuss what would look/play good for the event. Remember, there are 20,000+ attendees not just us.

dos -> looking over your list I see: Do Don Pachi, Mahou Daisakusen, Vasara...maybe Vapor Trail ? as some cream titles. Please feel free to let me know of something top notch I missed (I'm not a uber shmup guy)

Star -> Dunno about the 360...it's up to you and folks here. I have more hi-rez boards/games now to fill the cabs now.
Wedoca '24
hanasu

Post by hanasu »

If you want to go for food Nando's is straight fucking fire and like three blocks from the venue. I went twice in one day last year.

I can bring -

Nemesis
Twin Cobra
Donpachi
Dimahoo
Commando
Sky Shark
Progear
GeekMan1222

Post by GeekMan1222 »

If I can figure a way to find a place to stay and some time off work I will definately go!!!, Last year I wanted to go to!! And I know a few people in town, and from ArcadeOtaku personally that go every year. If I can make it I would love to meet up with some guys in here and play some STG's !!!!

Update, I might just fly in and crash with a buddy so I will keep everyone posted LOL

:P :P
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I'm no longer local but I can mail games to Anthony or StarCreator to get them to the event.

And after 2 years of threatening to fix Gradius 4, I actually did, so if we want that to come I will absolutely box up that morbidly obese PCB and mail it clear across the country.

All 3 parodius titles are available as always

I have a Life Force (UAD) but it's got some audio issues ATM, so if we want that IDK, I could get someone involved to help with it?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Instead of mailing games, can you have KevinDDR bring Gradius 4 as a carry-on?
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

StarCreator wrote:Instead of mailing games, can you have KevinDDR bring Gradius 4 as a carry-on?
Any of my other games are easy to mail, but that might be the Pro Strat(tm) for the 700lb chunk of cold rolled steel that is Gradius 4.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Yeah I can totally bring his G4. Just need to work out the packing situation for anything that I end up bringing, but it should be fine. JBroms is going to bring his TGM2+ and he's driving, so I don't have take mine on the plane (which is nice). Anyway, I'll talk with dieKatze about it soon.
alamone

Post by alamone »

G4 is a bit of a beast as a carryon, you might exceed your weight/dimension limit!
JBroms

Post by JBroms »

As KevinDDR said, I'll be coming down from Pittsburgh in a car, so I'll bring my copy of TGM2+. There should be a decent number of TGM players at the event this year.
As for other games, I don't have that much to offer. I'll probably also bring my Taito Type X for Kevin to use at AGDQ the next week (TGM3 will be offered as a donation incentive) and I have a few more games for that including:
Raiden 3
Raiden 4
Giga Wing Generations
Trouble Witches AC
Chaos Breaker
Homura
TGM3
KOF98UM

Aside from that though, I don't have that much to offer. Anyone want to play Gal's Panic or Mission Craft for shits and giggles?