Stunfest 2016

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
PROMETHEUS

Re: Stunfest 2016

Post by PROMETHEUS »

good luck!!!!! :D
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Mills

Post by Mills »

Would love to attend this if the opportunity and funds would allow. Haven't been able to really practice anything solid other than 2-3 hr session on Strikers 1945 @ HOG/London a few months ago. Surprised myself being able to reach 2-8 after a few tries playing safe with 2nd loop. Can't remember my route to trigger gunbird train on 2nd loop to beat my 1.9 million PB score but having not played for over 10yrs, I shouldn't complain really.
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

Will be there on Saturday and Sunday, as I'm commenting live on runs on main stage for SDOJ expert and Crimzon Clover WI Original Arcade.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Prometheus, in the event you check here before you check your email: CHECK YOUR EMAIL

There's a serious hurdle that's just arisen and you will need to change plans for collection of the guys arriving from China immediately!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

On the airport now waiting to leave for France.
So hyped for this!
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

Waiting for my flight home at CDG currently. Had a really nice weekend again, thanks to everyone (shoutouts to the other DOJBL players)! Too bad Sunday was cut a bit short though. Will try to come next year again.
T4N3

Post by T4N3 »

Finally back home, thanks again to everyone for the super good times.

Here are the pics and vids I took during the event.
Beam Duel is a religion.
Twatter|Soundclown
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

For how many years FFVIman has been modding SNESes round the clock at the Stunfest ? :mrgreen:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Back home. Sick as fuck (as you guys probably noticed on the last day :lol: ).
Absolutely excellent weekend. Was a lot of fun meeting all of you guys, western dudes as well as Special Chinese Guests.
The players in this community are fucking amazing. I don't think you'll find such a high concentration of good people in any other community.
Everything from playing hype runs on the cabs to discussing politics, stanky dankness and the human condition (!) over beers was pure quality.
Already looking forward to next year.
Extra huge thanks to Yöööööörm and Humar for driving me back to Paris yesterday and taking good care of me ever since i stepped out of the train on Friday.
Looking forward to fuck around i Tokyo with you guys in a couple of months!
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Thanks for a great weekend, people. Great to meet up with Jaimers, Erppo, T4N3, Ratikal, Eaglet, Humar, Y'om and the numerous French players I know and met that would take forever to list here.

Big respect for the organisers of Stunfest for inviting me down as a guest and fronting my accommodation and entry in return for doing some work behind the scenes on their English STG stream. I really enjoyed it, despite being stressed as hell all weekend because of it, lol. More big respect goes to the 3HitCombo audiovisual team, particularly Pierre and Mathieu, for working closely with me to get a functional video and audio feed ready for the stream ready in time for the big show. We were cutting it close, but we got it in the end.

Thanks to Ratikal and Eaglet especially for helping me on commentary duties. It made it much easier for me to talk about the games when there's people to have a conversation with, and it was fun broadcasting as a team over the weekend. Hopefully it'll be the start of more frequent Stunfest STG English streams, either officially or with the STGWeekly guys again.

We definitely have to do more Twinkle Star Sprites sessions at the next meetup, it was hilariously fun playing winner-stays-on with you guys. Make it a regular thing, as it got really competitive and exciting once you guys got into the swing of things.

So, until next time, boys. :3
s3phy

Post by s3phy »

It was nice seeing/meeting you guys, I don't know if I'll be here next year (I'll be in Japan with Yom and Humar!) but I'll try (I'm hoping for inexpensive Qatar Airways tickets, this year they had 350€ Paris-Tokyo return trip for dates in april and may) :D
Palgork

Post by Palgork »

Amazing Stunfest as usual, even if I feel I spent more time drinking beer and eating duck sausage than playing STG ...

It's always a plaesure to meet you guys.

@Eaglet : your Swedish tabacco was an interesting experience.
Mills

Post by Mills »

https://youtu.be/N9zbFWIXrlo
Would be interesting to know WC's thoughts on the whole experience of stunfest as well as his performance on Strikers 1945. Couldn't have been easy for him.
DKA_Darius

Post by DKA_Darius »

Mills wrote:https://youtu.be/N9zbFWIXrlo
Would be interesting to know WC's thoughts on the whole experience of stunfest as well as his performance on Strikers 1945. Couldn't have been easy for him.
whole experience is good, but for Strikers 1945, he did not have a good sleep on 19/5 night, and he did not practice this game as well because the arcade was close, he did not have place to practice, and he is a person who do not like MAME. It is not so good for his performance on Strikers 1945, and his waggle style
x91

Post by x91 »

The shutdown of Shanghai Liehuo arcade in late March has a tremendous impact on him, I can't imagine how to keep up the top level play without practicing for 2 months. Tight schedule might be the reason to blame but I really think for a guy who isn't in favor of MAME, arcade down could doom everything.
The newer version of Chinese Leaderboard is here! Check it out :>
Mills

Post by Mills »

Fair enough but credit to him anyway. I have never played on MAME, so what are the key differences anyway?
x91

Post by x91 »

From what I can tell, the emulator has horrible input lag comparing to an actual PCB, while I don't know why Strikers 1945 II or 1999 doesn't share the same problem with their predecessor.

The other factor would be display I guess. LCD's response time is always inferior to CRT's, and the latter is more and more scarce in these days.
The newer version of Chinese Leaderboard is here! Check it out :>
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Psikyo games from Sol Divide onwards, including Strikers 1945 II and III, Gunbird 2, Space Bomber, and Dragon Blaze, are on different hardware and use a different driver in MAME that has only one frame of input lag compared to three for Strikers 1945, Gunbird, Sengoku Ace, and Sengoku Blade.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
endoKarb

Post by endoKarb »

x91 wrote:From what I can tell, the emulator has horrible input lag comparing to an actual PCB, while I don't know why Strikers 1945 II or 1999 doesn't share the same problem with their predecessor.
Well, I guess that pretty much solves my doubt. That lag really is a MAME-only issue.
That's not great news, but at least we've cleared that up.

I really appreciated the Strikers demo. Even though it didn't go very well survival wise, you could still see WC is an amazing player. Must've been one hell of a sight seeing him play in his prime.
"Compendaria res improbitas, virtus longa."
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

DKA_Darius wrote:
whole experience is good, but for Strikers 1945, he did not have a good sleep on 19/5 night, and he did not practice this game as well because the arcade was close, he did not have place to practice, and he is a person who do not like MAME. It is not so good for his performance on Strikers 1945, and his waggle style
that also means he couldn't practice DDP SaiDaiOuJou then ? well done for almost clearing the game in Expert if he couldn't reach the game since march, as there is only one PCB of SDOJ in China !
pokemon123

Post by pokemon123 »

liehuo was closed. Did not know this : (
DKA_Darius

Post by DKA_Darius »

-S.L- wrote:
DKA_Darius wrote:
that also means he couldn't practice DDP SaiDaiOuJou then ? well done for almost clearing the game in Expert if he couldn't reach the game since march, as there is only one PCB of SDOJ in China !
Yes. Before I went to Rennes, WS told me WC did not practice Strikes 1945 and SDOJ, and WS himself just practice two run for Raiden IV Double Play, he didn't know that Stunfest team want him to demonstrate it. I was very nervious, watching him reach to 2 loop, he told me he cannot make a mistake in 2-3 or 2-4, he must use bomb timely because his finger cannot press the BOMB buttom quickly for Double Play. If he missed before TLB, it would be very hard to collect all weapons for two aircrafts. He also said if he was more bold, he would not use bomb twice in 2-4 where there are a lot of enermy bombs which can release bullets, if he saved one bomb, he would achieved NO MISS Double Play
Mills

Post by Mills »

Just found better quality YouTube link to Strikers1945 by WC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22EdmMASSQs