Seattle Arcade Marathon - July 21-24, 2016

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
KevinDDR

Seattle Arcade Marathon - July 21-24, 2016

Post by KevinDDR »

Hey folks!

Almost a year ago now I posted about the idea of having an arcade game stream marathon. A lot of things have changed since then; I moved to a nice big house (!!), bought 4 or 5 more candy cabs and tons of streaming equipment, and of course I find myself with some considerable free time 3-4 days a week which is nice for working on personal projects.

I would be interested in holding a multi-day streaming event for fans of 80s, 90s, and 00s arcade games, including various shmups, puzzle games, platformers, and so on. Similar to something like the recent Wasshoi stream but on a longer time-scale, we'd ideally have some of the top Western (and maybe even Japanese players, if they're interested in coming out) players perform superplay/tatsujin/whatever runs of their main games, with live commentary from other experienced players.

LOCATION: Seattle Retro Gaming Expo @ Seattle Center Exhibition Hall
The Seattle Retro Gaming Expo has graciously offered us booth space and fast internet at their event, so we have decided to move the event there! Seattle Center is directly accessible via light-rail and a quick monorail ride from downtown, and has a variety of restaurants and hotels at all price ranges nearby.

DATE: July 21-24, 2016 (Main days: July 23rd and 24th)
As some of you know I travel around the country playing major pinball tournaments. This date has been selected because it's during a dead time for all that stuff, and it's also the part of the year where Seattle has great weather and is generally pleasant. Depending on interest, it would be possible to extend the event backwards (i.e. starting earlier in the week).

HARDWARE PROVIDED:
Stream PC with 3 240P-capable capture cards
Commentary setup
2x Blast City cabinets
New Net City cabinet (can be set for JAMMA or JVS)
Astro and New Astro City cabinets
Aero City cabinet
2 superguns and a wide selection of PVMs for practice/casual gamin'
I have an extensive selection of parts for use in these cabs, so if you prefer Sanwa/Seimitsu/whatever buttons/sticks I can arrange to have them set up.

The general plan will be to have 2-3 cabinets set up in the stream room at a time, so that hardware changes (PCB switching, various wiring, control changes) for the next run can be made partially during a run to reduce setup time.

PCBs will not be provided unless someone local has the game and is willing to loan it to me. However, depending on special circumstances (i.e. your game is awesome and needs to be seen) I might decide to purchase PCBs for use at the event if you regularly play MAME or a port and still want to play at the event. Otherwise, everything will be bring your own PCB. I've traveled on planes many times with PCBs and it's never gone wrong.

ACCOMODATIONS:
In the house I have a room which can probably fit 2-3 people comfortably, but beyond that I can't provide anything extra. Priority for these rooms would go to Japanese players if they attend since they undoubtedly will have traveled farther than anyone else. If there is enough interest I can try and set up a group rate at a nearby hotel, but otherwise you might be on your own.

If you are interested in attending and performing runs, please fill out this form. There is no limit to how many games you can submit, so if you think you have even 4 or 5 (or more!!!) games that you're reasonably proficient at and want to run live, please submit them! The worst that can happen is that we say no.
If you're just looking to come and hang out, please post in this thread.
Last edited by KevinDDR on Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
trap15

Re: Seattle Arcade Marathon - July 21-24, 2016

Post by trap15 »

Hella interested in coming. A buddy's wanted to go to Seattle for a long time too, so I'd maybe bring him along if spectator-only folks are ok.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

I would definitely stop by and hang out and play some games.
wnka

Post by wnka »

Sounds fun, I can probably make it but if not I can for sure loan PCBs / equipment.
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

I can't say what I would be doing that far out, but I can certainly loan PCBs.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
marus

Post by marus »

Sounds like fun! Truth be told I haven't really been playing games lately, but if you think my Espgaluda 2 play is up to par (and if anyone still has the board) then I'll get back to practicing some of that. Otherwise I'm down to just kick it too.
bobbyconover

Post by bobbyconover »

Yep I still have the Espgaluda 2 board and pretty much all the others, and I'm down to donate anything I have for the event. Sounds awesome. I hope to pull out some obscurities if Kevin is into it. Maybe we can have a makeshift Outfoxies tournament or some Panic Park! :)
SFKhoa

Post by SFKhoa »

Wow, I may want to come and hang out for this.
Does anyone happen to have a Progear board lying around? I'd be up for doing a run on that.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

I will bring it if it's not already there. Would be cool to see a good run of that, and to watch and learn to become better at it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I have family there and if the timing worked out on my end I would definitely come hang out for a day or two.

Some of the other NYC guys can confirm I am definitely not an asshole:D
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
MURPHAGATOR

Post by MURPHAGATOR »

This sounds fantastic, I'd love to take part in it.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Mega thread bump resurrection! So...not much activity has happened except for people who have told me privately that they're interested in coming. I've been working on machines getting them dialed in and recently an amazing opportunity has come to light. The Seattle Retro Gaming Expo has offered to host our marathon with a free booth and extremely fast internet at the Seattle Center in downtown Seattle. Their event is July 23 and 24th, so I'm proactively moving the Seattle Arcade Marathon to the expo! We'll still be using my cabs and possibly some others as well, and the other plans are remaining relatively unchanged. More information will be available in the next few days, but this means that we may potentially have a live audience of hundreds of people and a more Stunfest-like environment!

If there is enough interest, we will still start the stream early on the 21st and continue through the 22nd until it's time to move the cabs to the expo, then resume at show opening on the 23rd.

I hope you can come! Now is the time to submit games and also post if you are interested in attending!
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

This just got real.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Did this happen? I just remembered about it now (bummed I missed SRGE)
fact

Post by fact »

really sad I missed this, gonna have to get involved next year for sure. :D
>:D
trap15

Post by trap15 »

It didn't happen lol
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.