SoCal Shmupmeet Saturday, May 21st 6:00 pm - 12 midnight

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hodari has graciously offered to host a SoCal shmupmeet at his home in Huntington Beach. He'll be having a taco truck and some beer available.

Please RSVP and post on the list with some snacks you can bring to the shmupmeet.

We'll also be having a tournament with a cash prize so bring your A game and a bit of cash to enter.

Space is limited so RSVP now!

1. Hodari (taco truck)
2. Frenetic (peanut butter chocolates)
3. Nug (beer and potato chips)
4. Gamer683441 +1
5. Jelloman581
6. neccros
7. kyosuke75 (beer)
8. Neo G-Tron (fried chicken & some drinks)
9. jepjepjep (dessert of some kind)
10. alamone
11. arcade game
12. Dumple (baked goods from 85 degrees)

Check out the pics of his personal arcade!

Triple Lei

Re: SoCal Shmup Shoutout

Post by Triple Lei »

I wouldn't be able to host, but I'd be willing to pay way more than my fair share of gas money to tag along. 8)

I got a rotatable Asus monitor I could bring, a dual-mod arcade stick, and if we're really hurting for games, a Japanese Xbox 360 with Cave Shooting Collection Kan + Ketsui & Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label Extra, and Shikigami no Shiro III.

I'm in Temple City, so...
Nug

Post by Nug »

I wish I could host, but my place is too small. I have a friend that owns a warehouse though, so I can ask him.

I'm in Huntington Beach. On a sidenote, does anyone know of any good arcades in SoCal? Been looking and coming up empty
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I live in a small apartment so I would not be able to host a normal size meet but if anyone is near my area and wants to play arcade games I have a few to share. I am in Westminster (92683) and can have 1-2 people over at a time. I have two arcade cabinets, one supergun, and a Dell U2412M monitor with XRGB-mini. My tiny set of arcade games can be seen in the spreadsheet below:

My Arcade List
Nug wrote:I wish I could host, but my place is too small. I have a friend that owns a warehouse though, so I can ask him.

I'm in Huntington Beach. On a sidenote, does anyone know of any good arcades in SoCal? Been looking and coming up empty
The selection of arcades in Southern California has dwindled. The Nickel Nickel in Huntington Beach recently relocated to Garden Grove. If their selection does not change they should have a decent collection of games but the condition of the machines are not always well maintained. There are Round 1 entertainment centers popping up in the area but the variety of arcade games is sparse especially with shooters.

I am near Huntington Beach so if you ever want to visit my place we can make arrangements. I do not have much to offer but I currently playing Ketsui in a Sega Astro City if that suits you.
"Make-up! Jewels! Dresses! I want it all! Sigh... And some new accessories would be nice..."
Nug

Post by Nug »

Sparky wrote:I live in a small apartment so I would not be able to host a normal size meet but if anyone is near my area and wants to play arcade games I have a few to share. I am in Westminster (92683) and can have 1-2 people over at a time. I have two arcade cabinets, one supergun, and a Dell U2412M monitor with XRGB-mini. My tiny set of arcade games can be seen in the spreadsheet below:

My Arcade List
Nug wrote:I wish I could host, but my place is too small. I have a friend that owns a warehouse though, so I can ask him.

The selection of arcades in Southern California has dwindled. The Nickel Nickel in Huntington Beach recently relocated to Garden Grove. If their selection does not change they should have a decent collection of games but the condition of the machines are not always well maintained. There are Round 1 entertainment centers popping up in the area but the variety of arcade games is sparse especially with shooters.

I am near Huntington Beach so if you ever want to visit my place we can make arrangements. I do not have much to offer but I currently playing Ketsui in a Sega Astro City if that suits you.
Thanks for the invite! I'd be down to swing by sometime. I work alot though, so finding free time will take some doing.

That Nickel nickel has always been in disrepair since the early 2000s unfortunately. I was told that there are 3 arcades near us, but are private, thus invite only.

I just checked out your spreadsheet. Do you have a big red cab as well? I have a few mvs carts, as well as a pgm board with games I could bring over
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

This is cool to know there is a shmup community local to me. I feel like a broken record saying the same thing, but I too have a small apartment. Not to mention the wife will probably be like "who the heck are these people". " more of you!? " (Referring to me being a retro gamer lol). I pretty much play on original consoles and have a couple shmups on a few different systems, so if that's needed ,I can bring them. So yeah, Im down. Also I don't mind giving someone a ride if needed. Im in Burbank so thats sorta central to everything.
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Maybe we could meet at a Round One or another venue to hang out and have lunch/dinner/a beer and chat for a little bit?

--F
options

Post by options »

hey everyone,

I'm down to meet up, but not prepared to host for the same reason everyone else mentioned. I like that last idea of a (Round One) gathering to hang out first.
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Frenetic wrote:Maybe we could meet at a Round One or another venue to hang out and have lunch/dinner/a beer and chat for a little bit?

--F
Im down with this. As an added bonus, maybe one of these arcades might have some shmups to play.
Hodari

Post by Hodari »

i can host a Shumps in Huntington Beach. :D
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hey Hodari!

Welcome to shmupsforum. I also live in SoCal and have hosted some shmupmeets. What day would be good for you to host? I can help out if you need me to. :D

--F
Hodari wrote:i can host a Shumps in Huntington Beach. :D
Hodari

Post by Hodari »

how many people do you think we can get to show up.
Nug

Post by Nug »

Hodari wrote:i can host a Shumps in Huntington Beach. :D
Where are you located in Huntington Beach?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Aww, the only shmup-meet I only met, was the STG Weekly crew at AX, and that's SoCal, I mean, c'mom, nothing here for us folk in Whittier? XD

I mean, yeah, a Round 1 location (preferably the Puente Hills one) would be nice, but they don't really have any shmup titles that I've checked before. I mean, I would like to host, but I dunno if it'll work out myself since all I got is my PC/360/PS3 with the usual localized/digital/RF import/etc. titles almost everyone seems to have (maybe 1 or 2 delitsted, like TWN! as an example, lol.)

But hey, the more the merrier, lol. But in all respect, I don't really feel like traveling far, just to do something like this, just somewhere in my hometown where it can be a bit easier to do, lol. (Though chances are, it may or may not work regardless, lol.)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Hodari

Post by Hodari »

I'm on beach and Atlanta the houses on the left.
Nug

Post by Nug »

Hodari wrote:I'm on beach and Atlanta the houses on the left.
Small world! I'm in seabridge right up the street!
Frenetic

Re: SoCal Shmupmeet Saturday, May 21st 6:00 pm - 12 midnight

Post by Frenetic »

Hodari has graciously offered to host a SoCal shmupmeet at his home in Huntington Beach. He'll be having a taco truck and some beer available.

Please RSVP and post on the list with some snacks you can bring to the shmupmeet.

We'll also be having a tournament with a cash prize so bring your A game and a bit of cash to enter.

Space is limited so RSVP now!

Check out the pics of his personal arcade!

Nug

Post by Nug »

Count me in! I can bring alcohol and snacks. Just lmk what type.

Hodari, your setup is amazing! Can't wait to see it in person!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Shoooooooooooot I might have to drive down for this if someone wants to let me stay the night (I won't stay long on Sunday I promise :arrow: )

That game room looks hella sick. All those Aeros makin' me jealous.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

I'm down for this! trap, if you need a place to crash, you're welcome at my place. I'm in Long Beach.
Hodari

Post by Hodari »

Jelloman you can always crash on my coach no prob. Breakfast will be provided, also anyone can bring a tent and crash in the back yard it's warm.
neccros

Post by neccros »

Hodari,

I'd love to come down! I used to live on Beach and Garfield. Now I'm in Redondo Beach

If you need help setting up let me know and I will be happy to head down earlier.

Also let me know what food/drink you would like me to bring.... I could bring Frenetics favorite... LOL
Last edited by neccros on Tue May 10, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
kyosuke75

Post by kyosuke75 »

Frenetic,

I'm down to swing by. I'm in Fullerton so pretty close by. I can bring some beer or something.

I might not be able to make it until after 8pm.

Thanks!
neccros

Post by neccros »

If you looking for local arcades, there is 2084 in Anaheim... Sort of "invite only" but not hard to get invited. It consists of 3-4 collectors in one big warehouse with mostly mid 80s to early 90s games. More retro than anything.

Not many shooters but I think they do have an R-Type and a Capcom multi machine with a shooter or 2 in there
Neo G-Tron

Post by Neo G-Tron »

Wow that setuplooks too freaking sweet !! Most definitely count me in on this one. I can bring some fried chicken and some drinks. I can also bring a 19" PVM CMVS setup if it's needed. Looking forward to catching up with you guy's again !!
alby13

Post by alby13 »

Looks like a sweet setup indeed. I would like to attend. Can bring Candy and Chocolate. Yum.
Hodari

Post by Hodari »

i could always use help anyone can come early if they want, my door is always open to friends.
Nug

Post by Nug »

Hodari wrote:i could always use help anyone can come early if they want, my door is always open to friends.
I'm down the street, so I'm happy to swing by early to help out. Do you have PGM games? If not, I have a few I could bring.
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Wow, that's a really cool setup Hodari!

I'm interested in coming, but won't be able to make it down until around 8. I'll bring some kind of a dessert.
Tyranix95

Post by Tyranix95 »

Anyone know if arcade game or shadowkn are gonna go?