Sugoi, an arcade in Helsinki. Now open!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
Zaarock

Re: Sugoi, an arcade in Helsinki. Now open!

Post by Zaarock »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote: You're the Makoto player, right? I'm not into shmups really, but if we want to get a small 3S/SSF2X scene going maybe we should come up with some sort of a meetup plan. I'm the guy who usually picks Sean. I would be down casual matches, or even for some sort of round robin league or whatever. Just something more concrete than random bouts.
Yeah, that was me. Sounds good. I'm usually on the shmup cabs but if there's a group of people playing fighters or an event like what you mention I'll definitely join in. Not sure how much I'll get into 3S/SSF2X but want to try both more. And the other fighters will change over time too. Could have a regular day in the week(or month) for fighting game meetups, maybe wednesdays or sat/sun? Also the arcade appears to have the least visitors on fridays.

Unrelated I've played Dariusburst a whole bunch because of testing the PC version and completing CS mode so if anyone sees me there and wants to learn the game or play coop just ask me. Maybe the cab will have Chronicle mode unlocked at some point too and that will be fun for co-op.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I'm going to vote for Sundays because I actually live in Tampere and need to come there by bus. So, how about every other Sunday starting from next week?
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Works for me. That's a long trip, yeah.. I live pretty close so can cycle there in 75min. It's nice that the place is close to a train station though.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Alright, it's settled then. Every other Sunday starting from the 18th of this month from 2PM to 7PM is Third Strike Club @ Sugoi.

Tell everyone you know who plays 3S to show up!

EDIT: On second thought let's just concentrate on 3S for now.

EDIT2:
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Great flyer! Something came up so I won't be able to make it on 11.09. But should be able to join in the future. I noticed the event has been spread around in some fighting game communities. Hope a lot of people show up!

We're planning a small shmupmeet at sugoi with the group involved in making Final Boss. If we get exact dates I'll post it here so others can join in. There's a lot of great finnish STG players and it would be awesome to have a proper meet. IIRC any previous attempts in the past 5 years have fallen short. If you like arcade STGs and want to support finland having a high quality place for them (with a bunch of other rarities) then sugoi is really important.

edit: thing was cancelled, can make it on 11.09
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

I'm down for the shmup meet, just let us know when it will happen.
"I will not die until I achieve something.
Even though the ideal is high, I never give in.
Therefore, I never die with regrets." 1CC
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Xeno wrote:I'm down for the shmup meet, just let us know when it will happen.
Awesome.

The meet will be on 09.10. So 4 weeks from now. I'll try to make a flyer and post more details closer to the time (like where/when we gather if not going to sugoi independently).
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Third Strike Kerho's first meeting was a fun. I had a blast. Three machines with 3S side by side was truly a sight to behold, and something I thought I'd never see in this country. Can't wait for the next meeting!
TMallu

Post by TMallu »

Last sunday @Sugoi:
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

First shmupmeet at sugoi is happening in a week on the 9th.

Final boss group is meeting up in central helsinki at 11 in the morning. Probably Kamppi or the central railway station. We'll eat somewhere and should be at Sugoi at 1PM. The arcade is open until at least 7PM and it's a 5 minute walk from the Malmi railway station. nem gave us the chance to request games to be installed for the meet so the shmup lineup will change along with a couple other surprises (Ketsui and Dariusburst will remain). 3rd strike club will be going on at the same time with the above 3-4 cabs, should be a great sunday!

If you want to join us from the central or need help with directions to the arcade then PM me or contact elsewhere. I recommend eating well or at least taking some snacks, 6hrs is a long time. You can buy soft/energy drinks from the counter but that's about it.

edit:
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Great time and there were a ton of games to try out. Let's try to do this again at least once a year.

nem set up the place perfectly and installed even more shmups than we asked for. So it's up to the players/organizers to make further use of the space and plan better events. Maybe multiple day meets or taking into account other events that bring people around Helsinki.
Last edited by Zaarock on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

Yeah, it was fun. Thanks to all who attended.
nem

Post by nem »

I charged a full admission fee for Xeno :oops:

Remind me the next time you're by and we'll square of the difference.

Thanks to TMallu for the loaning of games!
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

nem wrote:I charged a full admission fee for Xeno :oops:

Remind me the next time you're by and we'll square of the difference.

Thanks to TMallu for the loaning of games!
Was wondering about that...

nem plz consider getting Futari or Futari BL to sugoi, would be SO awesome.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

The day was a great time. Thanks to everyone who showed up and special thanks to nem for the place and Zaarock for being our personal guide in the depths of Helsinki. See you all again, hopefully!

Pac-Man Battle Royale is the best game.
If watching the trailer of the game
makes you feel a certain way
I would be very happy if
you would give the game a try

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

As eebro said, thanks to everyone who was able to make it there! Special thanks for nem for arranging an awesome array of games (as well as letting us to stay so late) and Zaarock for stopping us from getting lost. This trip was quite exhausting but totally worth it. I'm already kinda itching for another visit someday in the unforeseeable future.

Here is a low quality highlight reel I whipped up during my trip back home, enjoy if you can: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb1v1Ln-Eyw
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Pictures from the meet: http://imgur.com/a/p8CB0
Thanks to nem for the group photos
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Third Strike Kerho (sexy girls club) is meeting again today and on the 4th of December there will be a tournament.

Those who wish to to participate in the tournament have to sign up for it by e-mail at thirdstrike ACHTUNG sugoi # fi and the last day to sign up is on the 27th of this month. State your name and the character you will be playing as. You can only use the character you signed up as. The tournament format will be Double Elimination / Best Of 3. There's also a page on FB you can like to stay up to date with the tournament and more: @thirdstrikekerho

EDIT: updated with tournament info.
Last edited by LEGENOARYNINLIA on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nem

Post by nem »

I finally invested in an EPROM programmer (long overdue!), which means:

Ketsui now saves scores. Thanks to austere for the hack!

Metal Slug 2 is now TURBO. Thanks to trap15 and system11!
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

nem expanded sugoi over the summer break. Ton of cabs installed now, it's crazy.

Ikaruga and Dangun Feveron are now playable and Dariusburst ACEX is back. Ketsui and Sengoku Blade are still installed.
also Virtual-On OT 5.66 , F-Zero AX, Planet Harriers, more..
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Lots of racing games, Mushihimesama Futari Another Ver. (God mode is identical to Black Label) and other goodies installed recently. Fighting game scene having regular meetups fairly often now.

Time to start planning for another shmupmeet I guess? Finalboss team was ok with sometime next month but it's maybe too short notice. If anyone usually not in the area is visiting we could try to time it with that as well.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Zaarock wrote:Lots of racing games, Mushihimesama Futari Another Ver. (God mode is identical to Black Label) and other goodies installed recently. Fighting game scene having regular meetups fairly often now.

Time to start planning for another shmupmeet I guess? Finalboss team was ok with sometime next month but it's maybe too short notice. If anyone usually not in the area is visiting we could try to time it with that as well.
I haven't been in shmups meets before, so it would be fun to take part in one, if this happens! I somewhat live nearby, so the timing won't be a problem here.
elonopea

Post by elonopea »

Any plans for a meet-up this year? :-)
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Small shmupmeet coming up this friday 2.11. We'll be at Sugoi at the normal opening hours starting 16:30. Celebrating ZeroRanger launch along other things. Worth noting the arcade is sometimes pretty crowded on fridays/saturdays.

Sorry for the super short notice!

For the fighting game scene in Sugoi there has been a tournament pretty much every week this year. If you're into 90s & early 00s arcade fighters chances are something you're into will end up in the rotation or you can help organize it.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Zaarock wrote:Small shmupmeet coming up this friday 2.11. We'll be at Sugoi at the normal opening hours starting 16:30. Celebrating ZeroRanger launch along other things. Worth noting the arcade is sometimes pretty crowded on fridays/saturdays.

Sorry for the super short notice!

For the fighting game scene in Sugoi there has been a tournament pretty much every week this year. If you're into 90s & early 00s arcade fighters chances are something you're into will end up in the rotation or you can help organize it.
Oh, awesome! I'll try to come around then.

Are there plans for any other SHMUPS than what are on the list? Too bad Dariusburst seems to be just AC and not ACEX now, but I could try to do some of the chronicle stages there.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

John4300 wrote:Are there plans for any other SHMUPS than what are on the list? Too bad Dariusburst seems to be just AC and not ACEX now, but I could try to do some of the chronicle stages there.
If there's a game you really want to see installed PM me and I'll forward the information. Maybe a couple cabinets can be changed.

Agreed on Dariusburst, though to be honest I played it very little this year. It was downgraded because this version has english language support & that's better for most people.
elonopea

Post by elonopea »

Missed it... Thanks for the notification though. Please do try a longer notice next time. :-p
Noisepurge

Post by Noisepurge »

Any shmup-gang meetups active in Sugoi anymore?
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Noisepurge wrote:Any shmup-gang meetups active in Sugoi anymore?
I'd always be up for one, even for a small one.