Sugoi, an arcade in Helsinki. Now open!

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
nem

Sugoi, an arcade in Helsinki. Now open!

Post by nem »

http://www.sugoi.fi

Website is up!

---

Original post:

I'm opening up an arcade in Helsinki. The business side is very much a work in progress, however, all the games (should hopefully) work, so I thought since Shmups is the first place I go for arcade related discussion, I should call my local Shmups brethren to test out the games part. All Shmups members that have joined before the 10th of October 2015 are welcome to come. You can bring along friends as well. We're opening tomorrow, Sunday the 11th, but you're welcome to come at any later time as well.

We're open:

Monday to Friday, 5PM to 9PM
Saturday to Sunday, 2PM to 6PM

Location is Ormuspellontie 12, in the industrial part of Malmi. Bus stop and train stations are fairly close by. There's ample space for parking as well. Currently, there is no signage anywhere, so please refer to this map. We're in the Lasimasi building, southeast corner. Go through the door and walk up the stairs to the second floor. Like in the map, there will most likely be Lasimasi vans blocking the view of the door from the road.

All games are on free play and the business (once officially open) will operate on an entrance fee. Until the end of the year the entrance fee will be 5 euros.

I won't spoil the games (currently, just under 30), but it's a bit more than just the usual fair of machines that you see on a cruise to Stockholm. To name a few standout games:

Beatmania IIDX
F-Zero AX
Gundam Vs Gundam Next
Pop'n Music
Super Monkey Ball

And an assortment of fighting, shmup and puzzle games.

Tervetuloa!
Last edited by nem on Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ghegs

Re: Arcade in Helsinki, open for members Sunday 11th

Post by Ghegs »

Huh. I'm gonna have to see if I can make it.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Not every day you see IIDX and pop'n show up on that side of the world. How did you get ahold of them? Would love to see photos!
Mysse

Post by Mysse »

I'm a longtime Bemani enthusiast and honestly couldn't believe my eyes when this thread was posted elsewhere (made the account here solely for replying to this thread). :shock:
So is this arcade open to public now for the 5€ entrance fee? And may I ask which games are the beatmaniaIIDX and pop'n music cabs running?
Laggeh

Post by Laggeh »

From what I understand, for now this is only open to members that were registered prior to the announcement? I still want to ask just to make sure as I've only found my way here now after one of my other rhythm gaming friends in Finland brought this to my attention. Is the limitation to existing members absolute, as the IIDX/Pop'n' availability really caught my eye as I've been mourning the fact that such arcades have never existed over here for very a long time.

I also feel that I could also provide some useful feedback about the music games as I personally have a very long history with various rhythm games, mainly home versions but I've made two trips to Japan in the past years as well and had chances to give the rhythm game arcades a go, too.

That also being said, there are a couple of other rhythm game players in the vicinity of Helsinki who I'm sure would like to come over as well, so I'd also like to ask this in their behalf as well. Or will we have to wait for the official opening no matter what? If so, do you have any rough ETA for when that would then be?
arttq

Post by arttq »

Cool to see beatmania iidx cabinet in Finland finally. I wish I can visit this place sometime in the future for some bemani fun.
Mianki

Post by Mianki »

Hi, I just registered to this site so I could ask about "All Shmups members that have joined before the 10th of October 2015 are welcome to come.". I and some friends would be very interested in visiting your arcade. So can we come and visit and see your arcade even if we didn't register before that date?
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

I'll probably visit there and set some ------ scores next weekend from Oulu, so anyone who needs a 'friend-entrance' can come with me ;P
Unless it's already open for everyone, of course.
In any case, message me here or on steam and let's gather a tiny meeting or something?

(Hi Mianki!)
nem

Post by nem »

Hey guys,

the door is absolutely open for everyone. However, we're still not officially open as a business, so there are some things to consider that I have detailed in the first post.

The reason for the short period of exclusivity was that I knew the Shmups community would overlap with the rhythm game and FTG communities, and I knew I could count on expert opinions on the games that we have on offer. However, news has traveled fast and guys and gals from Tanssipelit.fi, Bemani.fi and Nesretro.com have already visited and checked out the place. Thanks to everyone for spreading the word!

The IIDX machine we have is 17 Sirius. It's running on a plasma screen so there is some getting used to the timing differences if you're used to playing at home. However, I've been told that by adjusting the playing field, you can adapt pretty quickly. Also, since it is a plasma (and an old one at that), the brightness of the screen will slightly vary depending on the graphics playing.

Unfortunately, we've already experienced our first major breakdown. The other F-Zero AX machine has developed a fault and will need to be put aside for repair.

Current issues relating to the business are:

We don't have any signs anywhere, so you will need to do some treasure hunting to find the place. Please note that we're on the opposite side of the building as the flea market. However, if you do find yourself at the flea market and you like old toys (actions figures, wooden trains, Lego), you should maybe check it out while you're there.

Payment by cash only. Option to pay by card will come in the following weeks.

Small things here and there. Incorrect settings in a game? Having issues with unresponsive controls? Sound too low? Let me know!
Xeno

Post by Xeno »

Cagar wrote:I'll probably visit there and set some ------ scores next weekend from Oulu, so anyone who needs a 'friend-entrance' can come with me ;P
Unless it's already open for everyone, of course.
In any case, message me here or on steam and let's gather a tiny meeting or something?

(Hi Mianki!)
Voisin tulla pelailemaan ja miittailemaan ens viikon viikonloppuna jos olet silloin tosiaan tulossa.
"I will not die until I achieve something.
Even though the ideal is high, I never give in.
Therefore, I never die with regrets." 1CC
Mysse

Post by Mysse »

nem wrote:Hey guys,

the door is absolutely open for everyone. However, we're still not officially open as a business, so there are some things to consider that I have detailed in the first post.

The reason for the short period of exclusivity was that I knew the Shmups community would overlap with the rhythm game and FTG communities, and I knew I could count on expert opinions on the games that we have on offer. However, news has traveled fast and guys and gals from Tanssipelit.fi, Bemani.fi and Nesretro.com have already visited and checked out the place. Thanks to everyone for spreading the word!

The IIDX machine we have is 17 Sirius. It's running on a plasma screen so there is some getting used to the timing differences if you're used to playing at home. However, I've been told that by adjusting the playing field, you can adapt pretty quickly. Also, since it is a plasma (and an old one at that), the brightness of the screen will slightly vary depending on the graphics playing.

Unfortunately, we've already experienced our first major breakdown. The other F-Zero AX machine has developed a fault and will need to be put aside for repair.

Current issues relating to the business are:

We don't have any signs anywhere, so you will need to do some treasure hunting to find the place. Please note that we're on the opposite side of the building as the flea market. However, if you do find yourself at the flea market and you like old toys (actions figures, wooden trains, Lego), you should maybe check it out while you're there.

Payment by cash only. Option to pay by card will come in the following weeks.

Small things here and there. Incorrect settings in a game? Having issues with unresponsive controls? Sound too low? Let me know!
Now that we've been there twice I can honestly say this is exactly the thing I've been longing for in Finland, keep up the good work and lets hope this will be a profitable revenue for years to come. :D
The F-Zero breakdown was a real bummer but lets hope it could be repaired without excessive costs.
nem

Post by nem »

F-Zero is working again. Considering the issues we've had with it for the past two days, if you wanted to experience it, it might be better to visit us sooner than later! ;)
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Perfect, another good reason to visit Finland/Helsinki. My wife wanted to visit Finland for a long time and I think now the time has come :D .
I´m very happy about every arcade that opens these days. Maybe you should post about this over at Arcade Otaku also!!
Do you heared of Skycruiser?? It´s a new Jamma sidescrolling shmup, would perfectly fit into a new arcade.
Or maybe Razion and Kraut Busters for the MVS. Bouth new, somewhat rare and maybe good (??) games. Rare games are perfect for an arcade I think, cause people can´t play them at home.
I´m courious to play these at least :-).
Do you have a webpage? Would be great to see photos of the location, a plan were to find it and some online leaderboards/highscores.
Wish you all the best.
Mysse

Post by Mysse »

I'm still hoping there'd be a Tetris Grandmaster running someday :D I also heard there's a finnish community for Guilty Gear so Accent Core would prolly bring in more customers ;)
Shadolf wrote:Would be great to see photos of the location
I took some pics and a short webm tour video of the place
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Thanks Mysse. Man what a nice place. When I see this there are comming hundreds of ideas for decoration etc. to my mind.
Like mirror wall, neon lights/signs, game posters in picture frames, chillout area with sofa, bar for drinks or vending machine for special japanese snacks and drinks :-)
What´s about marquees and move strips?? I haven´t seen any, would definately add a lot to the atmosphere.
Dance Dance Revolution would also be a nice addition, especially for the girls ;-).
And I´ve seen no shooting machine, may I suggest Aliens Extermination and Carn Evil.
nem

Post by nem »

Updated first post.
Shadolf wrote:What´s about marquees and move strips?? I haven´t seen any, would definately add a lot to the atmosphere.
I agree. I'll pay a visit to the printers once I have the graphics ready.
Dance Dance Revolution would also be a nice addition, especially for the girls ;-).
We actually already have a fairly healthy dance game scene here. Same thing goes for pinball machines.
And I´ve seen no shooting machine, may I suggest Aliens Extermination and Carn Evil.
Agreed again. Maybe something will turn up sooner or later ;)
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Re: Sugoi, an arcade in Helsinki. Now open!

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

Awesome place. Will be there from 5PM to 9PM today and on Wednesday if someone wants to play some fighters.
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Place looks great!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
olisan

Post by olisan »

Hope to came one day!
Great place!
www.coinoplegacy.com
http://instagram.com/arcadeevents

Wishlist Arcade Cab cocktail Sega T-13 (just for fun)
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Great job!
Last edited by LEGENOARYNINLIA on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
peat

Post by peat »

Ha, you picked up some games from me back in 2011, and mentioned your plans for this. :D Nice work and congrats, good to see it finally bearing fruit.
nem

Post by nem »

peat wrote:Ha, you picked up some games from me back in 2011, and mentioned your plans for this. :D Nice work and congrats, good to see it finally bearing fruit.
It's been a long time coming :)

Still have the games you sold me too. Come by some time if you have the chance.
MJR

Post by MJR »

Saw these news today, AWESOME! Congrats and I wish best possible success for you. I've been promoting this to my friends feverishly.

I will be happy with your selection definitely for some time, but I REALLY hope that you can get some more Cave Shmups later.. Ketsui is DEFINITELY a good start :D

Will visit you as soon as I am past the latest deadline :D
Jope

Post by Jope »

Good stuff and congrats on pulling this off.

I hope I can find the time to visit soon. :-)
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Amazing place, found some time to visit this saturday. I tried out all the shmups and they all worked great as far as I could see. Getting the chance to play silvergun and ketsui on a cab was a real treat.

I'd also be interested in Tetris the Grandmaster & Guilty Gear XX AC like Mysse posted. For shmups Border Down, Ibara or a Taito title (Rayforce, G-Darius, etc.). But I like the current game selection so happy if it remains as it is. It's not a far travel for me so I'll try to visit weekly for the shmups and maybe some KOF XIII. Wish you the best of luck on the business side!
Sasupoika

Post by Sasupoika »

Thanks for actually opening one.
I Was planning to visit today, but found out that my schedule doesn't really allow it. I'll probably see some other day this week/end before going back to north.
ImageImage
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ketsui on a candy cab? unffffff
ah, wish i wasn't broke. I'd love to visit Finland.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Anyone interested, they somewhat recently got DariusBurst: Another Chronicle EX for people to play. While you can get the game on steam, if you live nearby I recommend taking a look. The cabinet is rather fancy, it has a warning light and rumble (Or then the sound system has so much bass the whole cabinet shakes!). I believe it's also one of the rare ones in Europe.

Other shmups they have at the moment are Gunbird and Salamander 2.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Shmup setup at Sugoi got changed recently, currently:

Dariusburst Another Chronicle EX (Unlock A, all ships selectable)
Ketsui
G-Darius Ver.2 (swap to Ver.1 possible)
Guardian Force
[Metal Slug 2]

some games that were previously installed:
Ibara
Raiden II
Zero Gunner 2
Blazing Star

Been visiting frequently lately and mean to keep it that way. I'm one of maybe 3 STG players who go here which is a big shame considering how great the place is. Pretty much only Beatmania IIDX has a 'hardcore' player base and there are a few third strike & super turbo fans. But there's a surprising amount of customers visiting and trying out all the games.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Zaarock wrote: Been visiting frequently lately and mean to keep it that way. I'm one of maybe 3 STG players who go here which is a big shame considering how great the place is. Pretty much only Beatmania IIDX has a 'hardcore' player base and there are a few third strike & super turbo fans. But there's a surprising amount of customers visiting and trying out all the games.
You're the Makoto player, right? I'm not into shmups really, but if we want to get a small 3S/SSF2X scene going maybe we should come up with some sort of a meetup plan. I'm the guy who usually picks Sean. I would be down casual matches, or even for some sort of round robin league or whatever. Just something more concrete than random bouts.