Interest Check: Summer 90s Arcade Stream Marathon

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
KevinDDR

Interest Check: Summer 90s Arcade Stream Marathon

Post by KevinDDR »

Hey folks!

I've been messing around with this idea for quite a while now, and I thought I'd make a post on these forums about it now that a lot of the puzzle pieces necessary to make it work out have fallen into place.

I would be interested in holding a multi-day streaming event for fans of 90s Japanese arcade games, including various shmups, puzzle games, platformers, and so on. Similar to something like the recent Wasshoi stream but on a longer time-scale, we'd ideally have some of the top Western (and maybe even Japanese players, if they're interested in coming out) players perform superplay/tatsujin/whatever runs of their main games, with live commentary from other experienced players. The meetup would be held at (and broadcast from) a location with a few cabs connected to a streaming setup, with a separate room for practice / hanging out / playing games.

No entry fee or anything; depending on how many people attend (and for how long), I could probably provide housing for at least a few people. Failing that, I might be able to secure a good group rate at a nearby hotel.

I'm located in Seattle, which is probably good for West Coast people and kind of crap for everyone else. Even with just the players on the West Coast, however, I'm sure we could put together a pretty awesome stream. Equipment-wise, I pretty much have everything necessary except specific game PCBs. If you're planning on a run of a game that none of us have in Seattle, you'd probably need to bring the PCB. On the JAMMA end of things, I have two New Astro Cities (probably a third cab by this summer too, providing I can find one), two 25 inch PVMs, and many other monitors (including smaller PVMs and other huge CRTs) as well with the necessary equipment to connect arcade stuff to.

So, the big question: Would anyone actually be interested in coming? Is it worth my time trying to make this happen?

If you'd be interested in attending and either performing a run or just hanging out, please post in this thread with what game you'd be interested in playing (or none if you just wanna hang) as well as any games you feel you'd be able to provide relatively thorough commentary for. Assume that you can make whatever date ends up being picked; we'll decide a time period after seeing what the interest level is. If there's some interest but not a whole lot, it might just be a weekend. If there's quite a bit of interest and people can commit to coming, I wouldn't be opposed to making it a full week. I think it could be a lot of fun! Hopefully y'all do too! :)

I'll start it off:

1. KevinDDR (Gameplay: TGM series, Battle Garegga (A.9M Gain). Commentary: TGM Series, Raiden Fighters Jet, Battle Garegga)
Gamer707b

Re: Interest Check: Summer 90s Arcade Stream Marathon

Post by Gamer707b »

Im out here in Cali , so you're only a hop away. Assuming I can be 'sick ' that day from work. sounds like fun. When?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Heyo Kevin, you should probably drop this in Shmups Chat or Off Topic as well, as it'd be more visible there, and probably get more discussion.
As for the topic itself, I'd be up for this - stream host or commentator - but I don't know if I could make it out there to play, due to work constraints and costs. :V
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Would totally be down (time permitting, scheduling conflicts with college etc are a real possibility), but to be completely honest I'm not as versed in 90s games -- would early 2000s work just as well? Would love to be involved with something like this as a host or commentator, and if you're chill with some marginally newer stuff I could play a game or two as well.

Gameplay: Ibara (Without practice I can turn out mid B scores, when I'm warmed up I can hit E-F range at the moment), lots of Cave/Raizing stuff but nothing else to that level of expertise.
Commentary: Various STG (Ibara, Garegga, DOJ, Ketsui, Mushi1, Gun Frontier, Ikaruga, etc.), some other misc stuff.

I'm in CA so it would only be a short hop up. Working on building a more portable stream rig right now so might even be able to bring some gear depending on when this goes down.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Absolutely, I initially said "90s" to differentiate from 80s US games, but of course all the early 2000s stuff (and newer) is fair game, too. Icarus, you make a good point; I'll see if I can get the thread moved.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'd love to come to something like this. I think I'd be able to comment some stuff, and maybe play, but there's nothing I feel is really presentable yet. Maybe by then I'll have something worthy of showing off.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
alamone

Post by alamone »

I can probably also host something like this at my place (SF bay area). I got two cabs and lots of superguns / LCDs / CRTs.
For capture equipment, I have a XCapture-1, 3 SC500N1s, and 2 XSync-1s, but I may need to cook up some wiring to make the cabs capture ready.
marus

Post by marus »

If this goes on in Seattle then I'll have no excuse not to attend! Pretty much the only thing I can play at a marathon-worthy level is EoSD Normal though, and I don't know if anyone needs to see that lol.
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

Not sure if you're still contemplating this, but I'd also like to come to an event like this.

In terms of streaming something, my play is at the "competent" level rather than the "amazing" level. But I'd be happy to 1cc or comment a couple of games: R-type Leo, Gigawing, or (run-and-gun rather than shmup) Sunset Riders. I'm in SoCal so this would be an easy trip for me.