The 2015 California Extreme is on...are you attending?

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
PC Engine Fan X!

The 2015 California Extreme is on...are you attending?

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Just got an e-mail about the upcoming 2015 California Extreme show slated for July 18-19, 2015 at the Santa Clara Convention Center (same ol' place since it was first hosted there back in July of 2009). Considering that this'll be the 19th year of such a CAX show hosted, I'll definitely be attending for both days as usual.

Am not sure what what arcade shmups will be shown this time around...will have to think of what hasn't been shown over the years and go with that in mind.

Bittersweet that the dev Cave Co. Ltd. isn't around anymore since shutting it's doors for good in 2014...but it's always a pleasure to be able to play those fine Cave produced shmup PCBs at the CAX shows.

Are you planning to attend one or both days of the '15 CAX show this year?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
louisg

Re: The 2015 California Extreme is on...are you attending?

Post by louisg »

I'm planning on it!
Humans, think about what you have done
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

Is it a shooter convention or gaming in general? Im from Cali, but never been to one of these things.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I guess it's feasible that I could attend, but that's a long time from now. There's also a family vacation planned for this summer, but I don't know when that's going to be so we'll see.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Actually, the once-a-year California Extreme is a huge classic and modern-day arcade game and pinball game show/sale type of event. All the games brought to the show are set on "Free Play"...so it's just a matter of paying for the entire day on either Saturday or Sunday (or both days if you're a hard-core arcade gamer/pinball wizard). All genres are represented including the hard-core shmup PCBs. At the 2012 CAX show, three different Cave DDP PCBs were shown: DDP-DOJ BL, DDP-DFK version 1.5 & DDP-SDOJ during the course of both days.

Most games are not for sale but you might get lucky if they are (including some odd-ball candy cabs for sale from time to time & at reasonable prices to boot as well).

So yes, every year, you don't know what might show up (even until the last minute of the show -- there are bound to be some mystery games brought in at the last minutes).

It'd also be good if some fellow shmuppers could bring in some candy cabs to host more shmup PCBs for a variety to play/choose from for both days if possible.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

Why must it always be on the same weekend as Evolution in Las Vegas! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

I'll be there with an Egret II, CyberLead and Net Universal probably, latter two potentially for sale, or swapped for an Astro city. Probably have a CAPCOM Impress as well, looking for donors to bring shmups they would like to play or share. Get in touch with me, I'd prefer to run what people would like to see rather than whatever I have laying around is next to nothing.
jugu

Post by jugu »

I'll be there!

Game on!
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

I'm told I'm going to have the only bartop there again this year. I'm suprised so few people have them.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Will probably be attending on Saturday, if anyone is bringing candy cabs I can lend some PCBs.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

I'll be there at least Saturday, maybe Sunday as well.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

Like I said, will have an Impress, Egret II, CyberLead, and NAOMI Uni. Need 2x JVS games, 1x Yoko JAMMA game, 1x Tate JAMMA game. PCEngineFan has offered, if there's anything you'd like lmk and bring it!

Will also be selling some candy control panels, the CyberLead, NAOMI, and some JVS IOs.
spaceian

Post by spaceian »

First time attendee and I'll be there on Saturday. Hard to miss me, tall dude with a really big beard and will answer to Space Ian. Come say hi and impart some knowledge to me! I'm new to the arcade scene and looking to get my learning on.
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:Actually, the once-a-year California Extreme is a huge classic and modern-day arcade game and pinball game show/sale type of event. All the games brought to the show are set on "Free Play"...so it's just a matter of paying for the entire day on either Saturday or Sunday (or both days if you're a hard-core arcade gamer/pinball wizard). All genres are represented including the hard-core shmup PCBs. At the 2012 CAX show, three different Cave DDP PCBs were shown: DDP-DOJ BL, DDP-DFK version 1.5 & DDP-SDOJ during the course of both days.

Most games are not for sale but you might get lucky if they are (including some odd-ball candy cabs for sale from time to time & at reasonable prices to boot as well).

So yes, every year, you don't know what might show up (even until the last minute of the show -- there are bound to be some mystery games brought in at the last minutes).

It'd also be good if some fellow shmuppers could bring in some candy cabs to host more shmup PCBs for a variety to play/choose from for both days if possible.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Sent you contact info, please get a hold of me! Want to make sure the cabs will have games in them when the show opens.
cham0mile

Post by cham0mile »

I'll be attending, looking forward to it.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I'll be there Sunday, probably around 2-3pm. Gotta remember to bring my shmuplations biznizz cards, haha. I might bring Dragon Saber too, or Detana Twinbee.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
bradtemple87

Post by bradtemple87 »

I have a weekend pass
BrooksBishop

Post by BrooksBishop »

Everyone that's going to this, you absolutely need to go see Kirby's Dream Band play on Saturday.

Saw them play last weekend here in San Diego and hung out since we've got mutual friends.
They closed out the show with the ending theme to Advanced Busterhawk Gley Lancer and it was A-FREAKING-MAZING.

Show info: https://twitter.com/CAExtremeOrg/status ... 4041003012

The sticker I got from their art designer is rad too.
Aeternum a bullet hell on PC and Xbox Live Indie Games - @BrooksBishop - Aeternum OST
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I'll be there on Saturday only, after 3pm.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Was fun; Raycrisis, Zero Gunner 2, and Thunder Dragon 2 were the featured PCBs on Saturday. Thanks to ken-chan for bringing out the cabs!
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Goddamn Hot Dog Storm...again. And goddamn me for being too lazy to bring Dragon Saber, hehe
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Kenchan

Post by Kenchan »

I'm REALLY screwed with this CyberLead, anyone in the area want it? I pretty close to literally can't afford to bring it home with me with other things I planned around not having to bring it home. Its the one that was at the show.
cham0mile

Post by cham0mile »

Made an album of the event. Had a great time, it was nice to see so many candy cabs.

http://imgur.com/a/dz5BG#52