SF Bay Area / Norcal / San Jose meet Sun. January 19, 2014

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
BER

Re: SF Bay Area / Norcal / San Jose meet Sun. January 19, 20

Post by BER »

papa_november wrote:I think I know what I'm bringing:

Hopefully I can get the Touhous and some other games installed before Sunday, it only has like 3 games on it right now.
I watched someone playing this on twitch.tv some time ago, and it looked quite interesting. I'd like the opportunity to try that and the PC-98 Touhous.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
alamone

Post by alamone »

I cleared out a shelf that the PC98 can sit on near the X68000 setup with the XRGB-mini.
I'm assuming it uses the 15 pin D-sub video output similar to the X68000? If so, it should
be a simple cable swap to get it up and running there. What about joystick ports, same or different?
I have the Micomsoft arcade style stick and a Genesis 6 button pad (wired for 2 buttons).
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

There's no gamepad standard for the PC-98, so everything is done on the keyboard. The video port is almost the same, it just lacks the audio pins. I made a separate adaptor just in case.

Like the X68000, it seems to play well with VGA CRTs and either not display or cut off the display on LCDs. I haven't done as much testing as I have on the X68000. I'll bring my test CRT just in case.
alamone

Post by alamone »

No room for CRT! The XRGB-Mini works very well with the X68000 (not chopping off the bottom)
so I think it will handle the PC98 fine. I don't use the audio pins on the X68000 either, I just use the headphone out in the front.

Wow keyboard only. Well it'll be a bit awkward balancing a keyboard but I guess unless you want to solder a joystick adapter that's the only way.
quash

Post by quash »

I'm back in town and have nothing going on Sunday. I suck ass at shooters, but any excuse to hang out and play games is a good excuse.

Please let me know if you have an open spot for me! It'd be my pleasure.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Hey, a slot just opened up so I sent an invite, also updated the RSVP list.
I'll be furiously finishing up the setup on Saturday, hopefully I can get everything I want done!
alamone

Post by alamone »

Request: if anyone has a working ST-V motherboard to bring I'd like to troubleshoot mine,
only the left sound channel appears to be working and with Soukyugurentai it sounds
quite weird since it uses the stereo effect quite a bit.
alamone

Post by alamone »

Stream will be here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/alamone

Starting 1/19 at noon PST
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

I'll bring my STV mobo. So we are getting lunch?
antron

Post by antron »

My attendance is looking very likely. I can bring at least one stool and a small cooler. I just didn't want to flake on this like I did last time.
BER

Post by BER »

All right, I'm off. See you all there!
Nereid

Post by Nereid »

I'll be there at around 2 or so.
chempop

Post by chempop »

And the very first credit of the day goes to BER, who starts things off by clearing Battle Garegga!
:shock:

What an awesome live demonstration! :D
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Nereid

Post by Nereid »

Thanks for hosting alamone! Glad to see there were a couple others who enjoyed the IIDX.

I need to play shmups more often D:
BER

Post by BER »

Indeed, thanks again, alamone! I'm glad to finally show people the Battle Garegga and Esprade clears. I'll put Esprade to rest now (moo), but Battle Garegga, I still feel like I have some unfinished business. It was also especially nice to try out a few of the Xbox 360 offerings.

For the curious, this was my base for building up the Garegga clear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHvwf-rYXdI

A shoutout to chempop for expressing his boredom of Golden Bat players (hehehe). Now that I think about it, as opposed to the finished product that was the Golden Bat clear, my play with Miyamoto (C) is how I typically try to reason through a game, so I hope that was interesting.

Kitaru, enjoyed the two-player experiment with Garegga. That reminds me: perhaps we should give a game that was meant to have tag-team scoring a go, something like Shikigami no Shiro II. I can feel some good team chemistry here, and a tag-team no-continue clear is something I've always wanted to accomplish with someone. (:

papa_november, really appreciate you bringing the PC-98. Flame Zapper Kotsujin was especially fun, and I wish I spent more time on it.

I'll go back to (slowly) playing towards the Dodonpachi 2-ALL, but if there's an interesting game in the next shmupmeet line-up, I'll play for that instead. Hope to see you all next time!
antron

Post by antron »

Thanks again Al, the setup was amazing.
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

Thanks for the shmupmeet, alamone! Really surprised on how close it was to the university I go to (which is always a nice plus), not to mention a good opportunity to try out some new games, even some not-shmups like NES Remix for the Wii U. Looking forward to whenever the next meet is, hopefully on a Saturday next time because of school and stuff.

Here's part of our post-shmupmeet conversations for the sake of posterity.
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
alamone

Post by alamone »

Actually ended up taking Monday off cause I needed to recuperate after the meet, heh.
Thanks to everyone for a great time.
If you have any suggestions or comments for the next meet, feel free to post in the thread.

Following are some details regarding streaming technical problems, feel free to ignore...

For anyone wondering, I got Gunnail to work on the capture card by bypassing the XSYNC-1
and routing the RGBS signal directly to the VGA input on the XCAPTURE-1.
However it looks a little weird, I think it's sampling the pixels at a wrong rate or something
because it looks like there's scaling artifacts.
It's probably not a big deal for live streaming since it's going to be encoded anyway,
but I'd like to get the best source quality possible.

I tried using the Extron RGB interface to split the sync instead of the XSYNC-1, but it did not
seem to want to cooperate with 15KHz signals. Perhaps I'll try converting to component, I do
have one of those D-terminal to component cables lying around here.

The volume on the microphone was set too low to make out anything, so you probably couldn't
hear anything except the game on the stream. Next time I'll have a stand for the mic so that I can place it
closer to the player, and adjust the volume levels beforehand.
chempop

Post by chempop »

I could hear the voices of BER and Kintaru, though it was a tad low. I have to say, getting to watch them coop garegga was entertaining, but not quite as much as Dave_K's double play! There was also a younger lad who seemed to be having a ton of fun credit feeding garegga and rayforce, it was clear that he was making progress and satisfied with every small triumph through a section or pattern - keep it up!

Alamone, you clearly went above and beyond putting this together, you deserved the following day off. I'm definitely inspired.
Anyone get pics?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
quash

Post by quash »

Thanks to alamone for hosting and letting me come on short notice. Also thanks to whoever brought Dangun Feveron, and the guy who explained how the game works to me. I'm hooked, haha.
alamone

Post by alamone »

quash wrote:Thanks to alamone for hosting and letting me come on short notice. Also thanks to whoever brought Dangun Feveron, and the guy who explained how the game works to me. I'm hooked, haha.
Feveron's actually mine, I bought it off Frenetic who's also on the forums and hosts meets in SoCal (as well as running stgweekly).
I guess he wasn't playing it enough so he traded it (plus some cash) for my old Surface Pro tablet, which I wasn't using much anyway.

I like Feveron too, it keeps things to the basics of shooters - kill stuff fast, collect items fast, dodge bullets fast!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Adding my thanks to Alamone for another successful shmupmeet! These things are not nearly as much fun for the host of the event, who is typically running around fixing problems, switching out games, organizing food gets, etc. I'm really amazed at how much stuff he packs into his small apartment, utilizing every small space, with all kinds/sizes of displays and converters. I was most impressed by R-Type running on the small Sony PVM, which was simply outstanding picture and colorwise.

As usual, big thanks for papa_november for bringing new/interesting hardware, this time the PC98. Two shmups I never knew existed, one of which by Compile. It was a challenge playing with the non-standard arrow button configuration, but still quite fun.

Thanks for noticing my pathetic double play attempts chempop. I got bored with my failed low rank runs, and found this much more fun. I'll have to find time to practice and get beyond stage 3. LOL
Aru-san

Post by Aru-san »

So I didn't realize that my sec-cam stream wasn't actually streaming live until way too late when I realized that I forgot to switch from File Output to livestreaming on my streaming software. Whoops :I

I'll try not to make the same mistake next time we have a meet. Sorry, Frenetic :x
Things I'll consider next time a meet happens: maybe getting some extra webcams to cover more of the meet, as well as a Blue Microphone Snowball (or Yeti) to better capture the ambiance of the meet.
[ Wonder Force IV -sorry Frenetic :c- ]
alamone

Post by alamone »

Heh, well if it's recorded to disk maybe there's some good moments you captured on it.

I'm thinking about setting a 2nd capture setup on the Egret II for horizontal games,
and maybe having a themed meet like a Konami or Toaplan only day where all the games
are from a single company. The only Konami game that was up at this meet was Solar Assault,
but I have quite a few Konami PCBs including all of the arcade Gradius games.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Really bummed to have missed this time, definitely count me in for the next. Would have loved to join in on some 2P garegga...! A themed meet sounds cool too.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

AWESOME meet alamone, I had a blast. Playing through the X68k library was fantastic, and thanks for letting me use your headphones! Big thanks to papa_november for that PC98 too, I LOVE compile shmups and the Rude Breaker is one of my new favs. I got used to the controls after awhile and was able to complete the game.

Dangun Feveron was also a pretty big hit at the meet. It was fun to show the details of scoring in that one. oh and PLANET HARRIERS! That setup was incredible and fun too. Really got to appreciate that one a lot more.

My only suggestion for a future meet would be having some headphones for some of the games. With so much noise going on in there it was hard to appreciate some of the finer tunes from the PC98, X68K, and especially Dangun Ferveron. Would just be a nice option to have as opposed to cranking up the volume to drown someone elses game out. I'll bring my headphones to the next one.
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
alamone

Post by alamone »

Yeah, I think having a headphone jack on each station is a good idea,
if there's an easy way to wire the sound in-parallel with volume control then
I would go ahead and mod my JAMMA harnesses for that feature.

P.S. by the way, if you're interested I'm selling my X68k setup to fund
a recent acquisition, check the trading forum for the post.
segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan »

P.S. by the way, if you're interested I'm selling my X68k setup to fund
a recent acquisition, check the trading forum for the post.
NooOOoooo i was looking forward to that for the next meet! ah well, at least i got some time with it :)
if there's an easy way to wire the sound in-parallel with volume control then
I would go ahead and mod my JAMMA harnesses for that feature.
its not too hard:
http://sound.westhost.com/project100.htm
(use the ones wfor the 10W output values)

You just need some resistors to attenuate the volume. After you make that circuit you can get these $1 adapters for volume:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380814181102?ss ... 1439.l2649

-Segasonicfan
I design retro gaming add-ons and repair old consoles :)
My Website: Segasonicfan Designs http://www.segasonicfan.wixsite.com/retro
alamone

Post by alamone »

Thanks for the links, went ahead and ordered 10 female jacks and 10 volume cables.
Kiselgof

Post by Kiselgof »

Sorry guys, I just posted in the wrong thread :( Please look up at the next one up!